GUILTY OH - Paris Talley, 3 wks, dies of thermal injuries, Dayton, 30 Aug 2005

southcitymom said:
The article indicates that the mother thought the child seemed fine - "nothing out of the ordinary" - when she got home. The next morning, she found the child unconcious and sought medical attention.

Again, we don't know how long the baby was allegedly in the microwave. Certainly, if a microwave was involved, I can envision a scenario that would harm but not kill a little one immediately.

I don't know exactly what a microwave would do to an infant child (and obviously, many experts don't know either because it took them quite a while to piece together whatever evidence they have) but it doesn't seem such a stretch that the baby might have seemed to be sleeping with no immediate outward signs of shock. It would seem that the microwaves would have damaged internal organs and then death could have taken a while.

I would like to hear the expert opinion as to why they think a microwave was involved.
An infant, I am not sure but when we were little there was a crazy lady in town who microwaved a litter of kittens and the results were disgusting. (we thought it was a rumor but someone on the police told my dad it was true)

SewingDeb said:
I hate to mention this but I think a microwave cooks from the inside out and fat and sugars heat up faster than muscle. This is probably how they determined that it was a microwave. Also, there have been other cases where it was known that it was a microwave...they probably know from the other autopsies what a microwave does to an infant.
Yes, I think you are right. But it took an awfully long time to come to this conclusion. The article said it was difficult to figure out and others had to be brought in. So it wasn't an obvious conclusion and I wonder if there could be other conclusions. Just thinking out loud.

southcitymom said:
Fran,

Did they talk at all about why they think a microwave was involved?

SCM

I was getting distracted but I believe they said they checked with other agencies before they made their determination. I guess it's what it does to the organs and how fast it heats the fluid within the body.

One guy said it would only take seconds to cause death.

JMHO
fran

fran said:
I was getting distracted but I believe they said they checked with other agencies before they made their determination. I guess it's what it does to the organs and how fast it heats the fluid within the body.

One guy said it would only take seconds to cause death.

JMHO
fran
But it doesnt sound like the baby was dead right away - everything I've read says unconcious the next morning - or did you get the idea that that part (time of death) was sketchy? Was the baby only in the microwave less than a second? Makes no sense...

southcitymom said:
But it doesnt sound like the baby was dead right away - everything I've read says unconcious the next morning - or did you get the idea that that part (time of death) was sketchy? Was the baby only in the microwave less than a second? Makes no sense...

Well, I think the guy was exaggerating about seconds, maybe he just meant less than a minute would be enough to cause death.

It was my understanding that by the time the mom saw the baby, she was already dead.

JMHO
fran

I know LE has arrested the mom so they must feel they have sufficient evidence to convict. But, IMHO, we must keep in mind that the mom and bf were in an abusive relationship.

IMHO, this is a VERY IMPORTANT aspect of this case.

The couple had been out having drinks. Anyone knowing someone in an abusive relationship knows that generally when there's 'violence,' there is alcohol or drugs involved.

The couple came home after a few drinks and got in a fight. The mom said the baby was asleep and she went to bed.

Who knows to what extent this fight was? Who knows what the bf, the abuser, was thinking?

The bf is cooperating with LE. Heck, that means nothing to me. Abusive guys can wine and dine one person while kicking the s#%t out of their wife when they get home.

NG was concerned because the mom wasn't concerned about the baby not waking her up in the middle of the night. Well........a new mother, and she wasn't breast feeding, doesn't wake up until the baby wakes her up. So, if the baby didn't wake her up, she would sleep through the night. I've given birth four times and that's how it works. The first time the baby let's you sleep through the night and you wake up and it's 6:00 A.M., you immediately rush over to be sure the little one is ok. :)

The bf could have gotten up in the middle of the night with the baby since the mom wasn't breast feeding. So,........?????.....and like I said, how severe was their argument??????
Was he trying to get back at her?????? Had she told him to get out???????

At the beginning of the show, it was said the bf was gone until 6:30 A.M., but that's not what her attorney said. He said the bf was home when the mom went to bed. That's all the mom remembers. So, did he go out afterward???? Did he come home at 6:30 and the baby was crying and???????

The bf is cooperating with LE. Is he pointing the finger at the mom?????

I think the jury is still out on this one. I'm not going to convict the mom yet. PLUS, I saw her on tv, both from months ago when it first happened and currently when she was arrested. She didn't look or act like she did it to me.

JMHO
fran

I think it would be interesting to know the autopsy results. WHY do they think it was a microwave? There HAD to be external evidence if it was....anyone ever burned a bag of popcorn? You just don't heat stuff up in a microwave, you "burn" it. If there was only internal evidence of hyperthermia, I think there needs to be additional investigation. I don't buy for a minute that a baby would be burned, cooked, whatever, in a microwave and not have external evidence of such abuse. Whoever did it.....needs to fry.

[font=Times
 New Roman]I can't believe how anyone could be so cruel to a helpless baby. It makes me sick:furious:
[/font]

Just last week I was having a conversation with a woman who had a friend who was in a tanning bed too long and didn't die then but later that night. When I myself had first started using a tanning bed I had no idea if you stayed in one too long it would start to cook your organs until some friends told me. I've heard of cats being microwaved and even a small dog.

The popcorn isn't a good comparison imo only because of the material, it's paper. Yes the microwave does burn but like SewingDeb said it cooks from the inside out. The eyes would also be affected and damaged. The body being fluid would take a long time imo to reach a high temperature but not so with a baby or small animal I think and there'd be an explosion before the outside would start burning.

I too question why they are set on the mother and not the baby's father? I have no doubt that the prosecutor will prove how the baby was killed but by who?

strach304 said:
......Just last week I was having a conversation with a woman who had a friend who was in a tanning bed too long and didn't die then but later that night. When I myself had first started using a tanning bed I had no idea if you stayed in one too long it would start to cook your organs until some friends told me.....
This is an urban legend and not true. Tanning beds have never killed or harmed anyone except in Final Destination: Part III. See www.snopes.com

southcitymom said:
This is an urban legend and not true. Tanning beds have never killed or harmed anyone except in Final Destination: Part III. See www.snopes.com
But didn't that model die from being in the tanning bed too long on her promo night? She has a famous sister who is a model. Dang, I can't think of her name right now....

PrayersForMaura said:
But didn't that model die from being in the tanning bed too long on her promo night? She has a famous sister who is a model. Dang, I can't think of her name right now....
Nope - urban legend through and through. As Jeana points out you could die from getting skin cancer from too much tanning (in beds or otherwise) but it is scientifically impossible for those beds to cook your organs.

Jacobi said:
Was the eldest ever a suspect...?
Don't know - haven't heard anything about it, though I would think they would have to rule out everyone capable of putting the child in a microwave.

Reannan said:
I think it would be interesting to know the autopsy results. WHY do they think it was a microwave? There HAD to be external evidence if it was....anyone ever burned a bag of popcorn? You just don't heat stuff up in a microwave, you "burn" it. If there was only internal evidence of hyperthermia, I think there needs to be additional investigation. I don't buy for a minute that a baby would be burned, cooked, whatever, in a microwave and not have external evidence of such abuse. Whoever did it.....needs to fry.
These are some of my thoughts as well - I wonder if they will release the autopsy.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back