OH - Pike Co - 8 in Rhoden Family Murdered - 4 Wagner Family Members Arrested #87

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree. George got a fair trial. He had excellent Defense attorneys. However the Jury found him Guilty on all 22 counts and All specifications that were included in any of the counts. If you read the specifications for just the 8 murder charges, the jury is basically saying he was on Union Hill road that night. The jury found him guilty of being present during the murders with a weapon "on or about his person". I think that is extremely significant when it comes time for his sentencing. He did not just buy a bug detector or purchase a truck and then not go along that night. The Jury heard enough evidence to say he was there at all 4 crime scenes with a weapon.
I'd say George should be thanking his brother for the deal he got or else he might be facing the DP right now. The fact they found him guilty on all charges AND the specifications means they likely believed he was there present with his SKS and they might even be wondering if he did shoot Chris and/or Kenneth.

I'd say George should be thanking his brother for the deal he got or else he might be facing the DP right now. The fact they found him guilty on all charges AND the specifications means they likely believed he was there present with his SKS and they might even be wondering if he did shoot Chris and/or Kenneth.

Very true. It doesn't seem like that jury was in the mood to mess around. They had to sit through a very long trial, reviewing a lot of evidence and testimony. It was a big sacrifice on their part.

Agreed. I would like to add that GW4 did himself no favors by testifying. IMO, by testifying he helped confirm his guilt.

I was not only shocked he testified; I was extremely happy too. I knew there was no way 4 could withstand cross with all the lies told. Between him taking the stand and his lawyer making the statement if he was there he didn't murder anyone, his fate was doomed. Then Wilson doing his closing was the cherry kn top. Wilson was brilliant. JMO

lots of discussion on fw but what about g2?? seems likely billy would confide in his dad after the fact or ask for advice before. even tho he died before the arrests he was very alive during the murders. there have always been rumors concerning young g2 path to owning such a large operation including possible drug traficking using horses. george said billy had "daddy complex" with any male friend he grew close to. he was living there at time of murders and g3 passed down alot of criminal teachings and advice to his sons. did g2 do the same???

I was not only shocked he testified; I was extremely happy too. I knew there was no way 4 could withstand cross with all the lies told. Between him taking the stand and his lawyer making the statement if he was there he didn't murder anyone, his fate was doomed. Then Wilson doing his closing was the cherry kn top. Wilson was brilliant. JMO
Yes indeed! I think the entire trial was done deliberately and each witness or item presented was done with purpose. At times it felt slow, but it was literally weaving the entire story together so clearly for the jury that the questions they might have had about this crime and the W's were answered before they even thought them. AC was good at what she did in a different way then Wilson. Some don't care for her, but I can see how her slow presentation gave the jury all the time they needed along the way to consider what was being showed to them. Just like she said in her opening about things might not make sense as they are presented and she apologized for how it might not make sense, but it would later. She was right. She did exactly what she said she would. Then Wilson came in with a concise summary of if you think this, he's guilty, if you think he did this, he's guilty. I bet those jurors already thought they knew exactly which things he did and if Wilson said he did this and they thought he did, then he was guilty. Very easy!

Yes indeed! I think the entire trial was done deliberately and each witness or item presented was done with purpose. At times it felt slow, but it was literally weaving the entire story together so clearly for the jury that the questions they might have had about this crime and the W's were answered before they even thought them. AC was good at what she did in a different way then Wilson. Some don't care for her, but I can see how her slow presentation gave the jury all the time they needed along the way to consider what was being showed to them. Just like she said in her opening about things might not make sense as they are presented and she apologized for how it might not make sense, but it would later. She was right. She did exactly what she said she would. Then Wilson came in with a concise summary of if you think this, he's guilty, if you think he did this, he's guilty. I bet those jurors already thought they knew exactly which things he did and

Agree, they all did a great job. We knew laying the groundwork was going to be long and somewhat tedious, but it was the only way to help the jury and the public understand how it all came about. It was also a masterful strategy to withhold the BCI interview with BW4 at the Border in order to force him to testify . Agree, also about Wilson. Junk even did a good job with all of the exhibit photos, etc. They went through hundreds of those and they all had to be shown in order. Same with the bags and bags of physical evidence.

JMO, the trial took as long as was needed. It will help pave the way for Billy's trial, though a lot of evidence will have to be re-introduced. That's just legal procedure.

Since many felt 4 didn't wear the shoes, might as well put bw3 in them.
yes. There were some that were adamant that George was totally innocent, no matter how much evidence was presented, each piece of evidence was always discounted. The shoe prints, the shell casings, the murder truck, being deceptive about the list of guns owned(some turned out to be the murder weapons), each piece of evidence some people would be extremely vocal that it did not prove nothing. Well, now that "the jury has spoken".......crickets.

I hadn't see his rebuttal so you inspired me to go back and watch it. He was brilliant. For example, there was what seemed to be a long digression about Billy shooting Chris inside the house but he brought it around to where Billy and Jake went after Chris was shot and Jake took his keys--back to who moved the bodies and who broke the handle on the door and argued why it had to be George, aiding and abetting, And really while Wilson couldn't say he thought George shot Chris, the grouping of the shots and the fact that it was a night shot convinced me it was George that did it without ever saying so. Jake was good at shooting people in the face and head, up close. George is the deer hunter--and at night, no less. But Wilson was very good at getting that across without ever saying he thought Jake lied.

yes. There were some that were adamant that George was totally innocent, no matter how much evidence was presented, each piece of evidence was always discounted. The shoe prints, the shell casings, the murder truck, being deceptive about the list of guns owned(some turned out to be the murder weapons), each piece of evidence some people would be extremely vocal that it did not prove nothing. Well, now that "the jury has spoken".......crickets.
There were folks that either didn't understand that is was a complicity/conspiracy trial or they just didn't want to believe George is guilty. I agree with Wilson's statement during the rebuttal that George is the one like his mother in terms of insisting on running the show his way.

I have an opinion on those discounting the evidence but I shall keep it to myself. Yes, one could disect each little piece of evidence. But, it was always the totality of the evidence as it fit neatly into that 1000 piece puzzle Dewine spoke often about. Jmo

the whole extended rhoden/gilley/manley family are a beacon of immense grace and courage . their steadfast discipline and cooperation with bci was incredible. even AFTER danas brother was falsley arrested they still stood strong. leonard just broke my heart in every interview but even with all that pain he stopped short of compromising the case in anyway. i cant imagine having 8 family members slaughtered and having both your daughter and son accused of such a horrendous crime. yet thats just what happened to leonard due to wagners tampering after the fact. its a tragedy he did not live to see g4 go down. <modsnip: off topic/LE unfriendly>

Last edited by a moderator:
Not total crickets. I have heard that the jury was afraid or they were always going to vote guilty because they had to make someone pay or they discussed it before they should have so it must have been something shady in the process because George is just an innocent man that everyone was against. BCI was framing him, the prosecution would take nothing less than all 4 so they made Jake and Angela say George was involved, Jake and Angela just wanted to pin it on George also and so on . It can't be that he is actually guilty of conspiracy, forging documents, burglary, etc.

I have an opinion on those discounting the evidence but I shall keep it to myself. Yes, one could disect each little piece of evidence. But, it was always the totality of the evidence as it fit neatly into that 1000 piece puzzle Dewine spoke often about. Jmo
This is exactly my thinking. I could discount each one separately as a coincidence, but ALL of them? Then he took the stand and it was so obvious to me he was lying I just feel that was the 100% deciding factor. He could not dismiss every single thing and then he said everyone else was mistaken or lying and his excuse of being afraid BCI was framing him for all his awful ranting and threatening an agent and calling every female bad names, etc. It just went on and on with him and it was not believable.

Gw4 will get a chance on appeal to point out any errors in the case.

I think what convicted him was the overwhelming evidence of how the family operated as a unit. They may not have known every aspect of each other's lives, but when it came to big things, I think they operated together to make things happen.

This is my humble and uneducated opinion only.

Gw4 will get a chance on appeal to point out any errors in the case.

I think what convicted him was the overwhelming evidence of how the family operated as a unit. They may not have known every aspect of each other's lives, but when it came to big things, I think they operated together to make things happen.

This is my humble and uneducated opinion only.
I agree and would add the fact that bigger decisions seemed to focus on the family unit, the wives/significant others and the kids. Those things seemed to really spark this united front even when personalities clashed and when even Billy didn't live there, they still came together to, in their minds, save the kids from whatever it was they felt was the threat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrsrb10