OH - Pike Co, 8 in Rhoden Family Murdered Over Custody Issue, 4 Members Wagner Family Arrested #69

Status
Not open for further replies.
Charlie Reader truly cared about the 8 victims, AND their families. He stood up for them and wouldn't let their names be tarnished. The article is old, but worth reading again. All my own thoughts.

"I believe today, as I did back then, that they deserve more respect — because they are true victims of a heinous crime that's never been seen before ... We're talking about arresting the people responsible for murdering eight people in this county. We're not talking about those eight people having a marijuana grow room."

Okay - I listened to the hearing - and here are my notes - did I leave anything out? :)

6/21/22 Update: Judge will discuss motions #80, 85, 92 & 93. Motion #80: The defense for Wagner IV argued that the court should suppress the testimony of his brother, Jake Wagner, & his mother, Angela Wagner. The argument to suppress their testimony, specifically Jake’s, was built on the 6th Amendment, Wagner IV’s lawyers explained. According to his defense, a good cross-examination of Jake by their side could make him change his story. The defense said if they did a good job with the cross exam, it would hinder their ability to represent their client, thus going against the 6th Amendment, the defense said. The judge, after hearing the defense’s side & the prosecution’s counter, denied the motion (#80). The judge’s ruling now paves the way for both Jake & Angela to take the stand. Motion #85: Motion to dismiss: Defense says murders were not in Pike County. counts 6 murder of Dana, Scioto County, 7 murder of Hannah, Scioto County, 8 murder of Chris Jr, Scioto County, 9 aggravated murder, Adams County, 13 aggravated burglary, Scioto County, 18 forgery, Adams County, 19 unauthorized use of property, Adams County, 20 interception of wire, oral & electronic communication, Adams County & 21 obstructing justice, Adams County. If State amends indictment Judge will denied motion by defense to dismiss those charges. DA will respond to defense #87 (to adhere to the Ohio statutory scheme for jury service) by Friday, 6/24/22 & on #89 (for an Order requiring an exhibit list prior to trial) State to submit a written argument. The deadline to file pretrial motions & the exchange of lists of experts is 7/6/22. #90 (in camera hearing)-did contact Supreme Court & a judge will be appointed to hear the in camera hearing. Motion #91 (to extend deadline to 6/13/22)-granted & #95 withdrawn by defense. Motion #94 (transcripts to be paid by State)-granted. DA responded to #92 (to dismiss death specifics) Judge wants written arguments & #93 (to suppress testimony of jailhouse informant) also written arguments to be filed. Defense & DA have prepared jury questionnaire & Judge waiting to see those.
@Niner you always excel yourself.
:0)

FOX19 Digital Staff - 7h ago

The defense for Wagner IV argued that the court should suppress the testimony of his brother, Jake Wagner, and his mother, Angela Wagner. Jake pleaded guilty last April to eight counts of aggravated murder while Angela took a plea deal five months later on charges of conspiracy to commit aggravated murder.

The argument to suppress their testimony, specifically Jake’s, was built on the 6th Amendment, Wagner IV’s lawyers explained.

According to his defense, a good cross-examination of Jake by their side could make him change his story. The defense said if they did a good job with the cross exam, it would hinder their ability to represent their client, thus going against the 6th Amendment, the defense said.

The judge, after hearing the defense’s side and the prosecution’s counter, dismissed the motion. The judge’s ruling on Tuesday now paves the way for both Jake and Angela to take the stand.
Thank You Cool Cats!
I said this since the plea deal, JW or AW will change their story, getting the Death penalty brought right back into this case.
These professional criminals, (The Wagner Family) will not be able to keep the story straight. If not the defense will not be doing their job, on cross examination. Gw will never be on any stand, because he has a temper. AW JW think their to smart for these dumb hicks.

Thank You Cool Cats!
I said this since the plea deal, JW or AW will change their story, getting the Death penalty brought right back into this case.
These professional criminals, (The Wagner Family) will not be able to keep the story straight. If not the defense will not be doing their job, on cross examination. Gw will never be on any stand, because he has a temper. AW JW think their to smart for these dumb hicks.
I agree FOM, but I would love to see Billy and George take the stand and watch them loose it.

Thank You Cool Cats!
Remember Angie and Jake are trying to say George shot nobody?

The prosecution said they caught Jake in lies in his proffer, or contradictions as they put it. Then they said that just because Jake's proffer says George didn't shoot anyone doesn't mean he didn't. Canepa said there is a difference.

(I have posted links to this many times)

Point is, I think Jake and Angela are lying their asses off and yes they could get screwed up on the stand and blurt out that George did shoot. Maybe try to correct it by saying he missed.

3 guns, at least 2 with silencers, were used that night. George had been known to use both a 32 and a glock.
Both a 32 and glock were used. Again I gave links.

I think George shot Gary or at least Chris. Heck at this point he might have been the one to shoot Kenny.

I just find it too hard to believe George shot nobody.

Also notice the excuses that have also been previously linked:

1.) George tried to talk them out of it.
2.) George only went at the last minute.
3.) George only went to protect Jake from Billy.

Lame excuses. I can't wait to see Angela and Jake on the stand and watch them screw up some of their statements.

Remember Angie and Jake are trying to say George shot nobody?

The prosecution said they caught Jake in lies in his proffer, or contradictions as they put it. Then they said that just because Jake's proffer says George didn't shoot anyone doesn't mean he didn't. Canepa said there is a difference.

(I have posted links to this many times)

Point is, I think Jake and Angela are lying their asses off and yes they could get screwed up on the stand and blurt out that George did shoot. Maybe try to correct it by saying he missed.

3 guns, at least 2 with silencers, were used that night. George had been known to use both a 32 and a glock.
Both a 32 and glock were used. Again I gave links.

I think George shot Gary or at least Chris. Heck at this point he might have been the one to shoot Kenny.

I just find it too hard to believe George shot nobody.

Also notice the excuses that have also been previously linked:

1.) George tried to talk them out of it.
2.) George only went at the last minute.
3.) George only went to protect Jake from Billy.

Lame excuses. I can't wait to see Angela and Jake on the stand and watch them screw up some of their statements.
The wording they used has to be considered strange at the least. If I remember it correctly, they say GWIV did not shoot and kill nobody. They did not say shoot OR kill nobody. Why? To me it leaves it open to that he shot someone and didn’t kill them or possibly killed someone but didn’t shoot them. Either case would fit their wording. Also, why use the word nobody instead of anyone?

The wording they used has to be considered strange at the least. If I remember it correctly, they say GWIV did not shoot and kill nobody. They did not say shoot OR kill nobody. Why? To me it leaves it open to that he shot someone and didn’t kill them or possibly killed someone but didn’t shoot them. Either case would fit their wording. Also, why use the word nobody instead of anyone?

Yes, weird to use "nobody" instead of "anyone." Could be a reason or could just be the way the person who wrote it up talks.
Also makes it sound possible that he did shoot but missed. But yes it leaves open the possibility he killed someone without shooting.
They are afraid if they get Jake to admit George shot someone then Jake gets off his proffer and the DP stays on.

Defense is afraid of doing such a good job they get Jake off his proffer. Too bad, judge is letting Jake testify.

I still think Kenny was a way to throw the investigation off and help keep it away from being just about the family on UHR. Make it more drug related.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2021
I agree with everything you said but I wanted to add they were also probably worried about retaliation from KR if he was left alive. I am not speaking ill of KR in any way but that is how the Ws would think because that is how they are. Am I making sense?

I agree with everything you said but I wanted to add they were also probably worried about retaliation from KR if he was left alive. I am not speaking ill of KR in any way but that is how the Ws would think because that is how they are. Am I making sense?
Makes perfect sense. The Wagners were, are, vengeful killers with Billy having made threats to kill according to Other Acts Evidence. So it stands to reason they felt he knew things and was close to Chris to the point he would at least keep the police digging their way. And yes, going after them to fight etc....

Perfect sense. Billy had threatened CRsr with a gun the week before the murders.

CRsr knew Billy was coming over to discuss a suspicious "mutually beneficial drug deal" a week later, I would bet he had people on backup. KR lived to closest to CRsr. I'm going to guess KR was killed first for that very reason.

JMO

Charlie Reader truly cared about the 8 victims, AND their families. He stood up for them and wouldn't let their names be tarnished. The article is old, but worth reading again. All my own thoughts.

"I believe today, as I did back then, that they deserve more respect — because they are true victims of a heinous crime that's never been seen before ... We're talking about arresting the people responsible for murdering eight people in this county. We're not talking about those eight people having a marijuana grow room."

this is so true i dont think they would have looked hard enough at wag without the local push from reader. thats what the wags werent expecting. leo from outside town could be distracted or fooled due other faulty suspects. the way they treated reader on that arrest stuff was terrible. he hsould have gotten like a pre trial diversion for gambling addiction not jail. sure what he did was a crime, but he actually held scum meth/oxy dealers to some kind of justice even tho junk wouldnt pursue most cases. freddy imo got people to snitch on reader to clowd the wags trial. i think thats why they went so hard at reader to dispel the notion they let corruption run wild.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie