OH - Pike Co, 8 in Rhoden Family Murdered Over Custody Issue, 4 Members Wagner Family Arrested #69

Status
Not open for further replies.
They, can't even hint that JW or AW is lying. That darn death penalty thing, could just jump up and bite them all.
Interesting. Jake and Angela have to testify truthfully to keep the DP off the table. So if the defense accuses them of lying then that means they are not living up to their end of the bargain and the DP would not go away. This is why George's attorneys filed the Motion to get rid of the DP before the trial.

Rhoden killings: George Wagner IV still facing …

In a brief but fiery hearing in Pike County Common Pleas Court Wednesday, a defense attorney argued that pursuing aggravated murder charges and the death penalty against the oldest brother charged in the Rhoden family homicides of 2016 is "an absolute abuse of power" by prosecutors.

But Judge Randy D. Deering disagreed.

After the roughly 35-minute hearing, Deering ruled that the aggravated murder charges would stand against 30-year-old George Wagner IV, and that the death penalty remains an option.

Last edited:
Then maybe his courtroom B@#%& face is for show and behind the scenes he laughs and smiles alot thinking his attorneys will get him off on most of the charges. I never see him laugh and smile sitting in court.

Families don't need to worry, any laughing or smiling will be wiped off his face after the jury comes back with guilty murder verdicts.

He might get off on a couple lesser charges but for the most part I think he will be found guilty of most of the charges. What really matters is that he is found guilty of the murders he participated in.

He voted for it, bought the truck for it, bought a night scope and mask, was recorded making threats and incriminating statements, went along to the murder scenes that night, owned the type of guns used that night, was hiding in the truck when Billy went up to see Chris, has a bloody shoe print matching the kind his mom said she bought for him, lied to investigators about the custody - saying there was no custody dispute, did everything together with his family as a tight unit, committed other crimes with his family, took custody from his child's mother keeping her away from him, helped get rid of the evidence, committed burglary, was involved in the murder conspiracy, and on and on.

I am patiently waiting to see what is said about Billy's involvement and what is said about Kenny. I believe it was George or Billy who shot Kenny and the proffers place Billy right at Chris's house pretending to want to see him about a lucrative drug deal. No wonder we don't hear anything about Billy lately, the proffers place him at Chris's house. How can his attorneys defend that?

I believe Billy shot Chris for sure. Strangely, Jake says he killed 5 but shot a 6th victim. I believe this was Chris. I still think George used his gun that night. 3 guns were used, I don't believe Billy or Jake carried 2 guns, I believe George had his own gun with him and planned to use it.

Would like to hear what is said about who shot Gary. Not that I believe everything Jake says. He contradicted himself in his proffer and is known to be a liar.
It also shocked me before the hearing began he was drinking from a coffee cup . Never seen a prisoner drink anything other than water . Maybe it’s just me .

Monday, August 8th:
*Jury - Individual Voir Dire (Day 1) (@ 9am ET) - OH - Pike County 8 people dead: Christopher Rhoden, Sr. (40), his ex-wife, Dana Manley Rhoden (37), their three children, Clarence "Frankie" Rhoden (20), Christopher Jr. (16), Hanna Mae (19); Frankie's fiancée, Hannah Hazel Gilley (20), Christopher Rhoden Sr.'s brother, Kenneth Rhoden (44), & a cousin, Gary Rhoden (37). Hanna Rhoden's baby girl (5 days old), another baby (6 mos.) and a young child (3) were unharmed. (April 21-22, 2016, Pebbles) – for *George Washington Wagner IV (27/now 30) (Jakes’ bro) indicted (11/12/18), arrested (11/13/18), charged (11/15/18) & arraigned (11/28/18) with 8 counts aggravated murder, (plus gun specifications on each), 1 count of 1st degree conspiracy, 4 counts of 1st degree aggravated burglary, 1 count of 5th degree unlawful possession of dangerous ordnance, 3 counts of 3rd degree evidence tampering, 1 count of 5th degree forgery, 1 count of 5th degree unauthorized use of computer or telecommunications, 1 count of 4th degree interception of wire, oral or electronic communication, 1 count of 5th degree obstructing justice, & 1 count of 1st degree engaging in a pattern of corrupt activity. Plead not guilty. Held without bond. DA will seek the DP. Per Jake’s plea agreement, DP is off the table if his testimony is truthful.
Trial set to begin on 8/29/22 with general voir dire for the jury, opening statements, evidence, etc. (Trial is scheduled for 30 days).
8/8/22
through 8/12/22 - each day beginning at 9am - individual voir dire.
8/15/22 through 8/19/22 - each day beginning at 9am - individual voir dire.
8/29/22 at 9am - beginning of trial, including general voir dire for the jury, opening statements, evidence & so forth. The jury trial is scheduled for 30 days.
Warrant for removal from Montgomery/Scioto County jail 8/8/22 & each day thereafter thru Friday, 8/12/22. Defendant shall arrive at the Pike County court on or before 9am. Warrant for removal from Monday, 8/15/22 & each day thereafter thru Friday, 8/19/22; the defendant shall arrive at the Pike County Common Pleas Court on or before 9am. Warrant for removal from Montgomery County jail on Monday, 8/29/22 & each weekday thereafter until further notice; defendant shall arrive at the Pike County court on or before 8:30am each day.

Crime info & court hearings from 11/28/18 thru 7/27/22 including Jury Questionnaires (Day 1-3) 7/5 thru 7/7/22 & Jury Questionnaire Completion (Day 1-3) 7/12 to 7/14/22 reference post #704 here:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...bers-wagner-family-arrested-69.623311/page-36

8/1/22: Warrant for removal of defendant from Scioto County jail & to be brought to the Pike County Common Pleas court on Friday, 8/5/22 for a motions hearing & to arrive on or before 9am. 8/2/22: Motion #105: Motion to prohibit "rehabilitation" of prospective jurors filed. Motion #106: Motion to excuse jurors who automatically vote for death or will not consider mitigating factors filed (both) by John Parker.
8/5/22 Update: Motions hearing. Discussion of the jury questionnaire for the upcoming murder trial indicates how the prosecution & defense may be approaching their cases. The questionnaire asks extensive questions about prospective jurors’ thoughts on the death penalty. They were also asked extensively about guns & whether they knew the victims or any of their families, or any of the Wagners. Next individual jury voir dire starts on Monday, 8/8/22.
*George Washington Wagner III (47/now 51)Last pretrial hearing on 2/1/22.
*Edward Jacob “Jake” Wagner (26/now 29) – Plead guilty (4/22/21) to all charges & will be sentenced to 8 consecutive life terms without the possibility of parole & will testify in the trials.
*Angela Jo Wagner (48/now 51) – 9/10/21: Plead guilty to a plea deal to Counts 9 thru 22, Counts 1-8 were dismissed. Will be sentenced to 30 years in prison with no early release & has to testify against others at trial.
*Rita Jo Newcomb (65/now 69) – Last Motions hearing on 12/2/19 entered a plea of guilty. Expected to testify in the trials.
*Fredericka Carol Wagner (76/now 80) – 6/26/19 Charges were dismissed without prejudice.

I think you are right Covert, we do know AW said in a statement she bought the shoes for JW & GW but they didn't like them so she threw them away. However, we haven't seen her proffer and have only learned a few things in JW's. AW could have changed her story. GW's defense is going to try and put the blame on everyone they can and discount the shoe evidence as much as possible.
Yes, The defense may try to say JW is lying about things to put doubt in the jurors minds. JW just as to stick to his story to keep the deal, they can accuse him of being untruthful. I think the state cannot accuse him of being untruthful since he is their star witness, would not look good for them to accuse their own witness of lying, in front of the jurors.

Only this so far...

Angenette Levy
@Angenette5
·
19m
Jury selection started Monday in the trial of #GeorgeWagnerIV, the brother who is charged in the execution-style murders of eight members of the Rhoden and Gilley families in April 2016 in Ohio. The Law&Crime Network's Angenette Levy @Angenette5 has the latest.

20m
Jury selection started Monday in the trial of #GeorgeWagnerIV, the brother who is charged in the execution-style murders of eight members of the Rhoden and Gilley families in April 2016 in Ohio. The Law&Crime Network's Angenette Levy @Angenette5
has the latest.

8m
I'm in Pike County, Ohio for the first day of jury selection in OH v. George Wagner, IV. I've covered this case since Day 1. He's accused of murdering 8 members of the Rhoden and Gilley families #PikeCounty

link: https://twitter.com/Angenette5

Only this so far...

Angenette Levy
@Angenette5
·
19m
Jury selection started Monday in the trial of #GeorgeWagnerIV, the brother who is charged in the execution-style murders of eight members of the Rhoden and Gilley families in April 2016 in Ohio. The Law&Crime Network's Angenette Levy @Angenette5 has the latest.

20m
Jury selection started Monday in the trial of #GeorgeWagnerIV, the brother who is charged in the execution-style murders of eight members of the Rhoden and Gilley families in April 2016 in Ohio. The Law&Crime Network's Angenette Levy @Angenette5
has the latest.

8m
I'm in Pike County, Ohio for the first day of jury selection in OH v. George Wagner, IV. I've covered this case since Day 1. He's accused of murdering 8 members of the Rhoden and Gilley families #PikeCounty

Angenette Levy
@Angenette5
A little more information on jury selection in #GeorgeWagnerIV. 1,000 summons sent out. We've heard about 40% responded. To conduct final jury selection, they need a pool of between 40 and 60 "death qualified" jurors. (cont)

Those 40 to 60 will be determined through initial questioning which started today. So far, there are 2 in that pool of 40 to 60. Prospective jurors are being questioned one at a time by state and defense. (cont)

Once that pool of 40 to 60 is complete, those people will return to the Pike County Courthouse on August 29 for large group questioning. Each side gets 6 peremptory strikes. Jurors can be dismissed for cause right now

Opening statements will begin sometime after August 29. It had been stated initially that opening statements would begin August 29. Now, that is not the case.

Angenette Levy
@Angenette5
A little more information on jury selection in #GeorgeWagnerIV. 1,000 summons sent out. We've heard about 40% responded. To conduct final jury selection, they need a pool of between 40 and 60 "death qualified" jurors. (cont)

Those 40 to 60 will be determined through initial questioning which started today. So far, there are 2 in that pool of 40 to 60. Prospective jurors are being questioned one at a time by state and defense. (cont)

Once that pool of 40 to 60 is complete, those people will return to the Pike County Courthouse on August 29 for large group questioning. Each side gets 6 peremptory strikes. Jurors can be dismissed for cause right now

Opening statements will begin sometime after August 29. It had been stated initially that opening statements would begin August 29. Now, that is not the case.

Mike Schell
@Fox19_Mike

NOW: Jury selection underway in Pike County in the multiple murder trial of George Wagner IV. He and other family members accused of killing 8 Rhoden family members in 2016.

1st potential juror “excused” from pool bc she knew & went to school w 3 of the Rhoden victims.

Jury selection begins for George Wagner IV’s …

Pike County Circuit Judge Randy Deering told each potential juror that any personal or religious objection to the death penalty is not grounds for dismissal from jury selection.

Nearly every potential juror who was questioned Monday had a physical or emotional connection to the Pike County murders.

One juror said she had a “brother who was good friends with Chris Rhoden, Jr. and wasn’t sure if she would be able to look at crime scene photos.” The juror was excluded.

The judge accepted a woman who said it would be “hard not to use outside knowledge when considering the case.”

A juror, who said she worked on social services cases that included the surviving Rhoden children, was excluded from the pool.

The potential jurors have to convince Judge Deering that they can fairly weigh the evidence with a “clean slate.”

Fourteen potential jurors a day will come to court. They will either be excused or move on to the next round of questions until a jury of 12, with at least four alternates, will be seated in the multiple murder trial of George IV.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie