OH - Pike Co, 8 in Rhoden Family Murdered Over Custody Issue, 4 Members Wagner Family Arrested #69

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tuesday, August 9th:
*Jury - Individual Voir Dire continues (Day 2) (@ 9am ET) - OH - Pike County 8 people dead: Christopher Rhoden, Sr. (40), his ex-wife, Dana Manley Rhoden (37), their three children, Clarence "Frankie" Rhoden (20), Christopher Jr. (16), Hanna Mae (19); Frankie's fiancée, Hannah Hazel Gilley (20), Christopher Rhoden Sr.'s brother, Kenneth Rhoden (44), & a cousin, Gary Rhoden (37). Hanna Rhoden's baby girl (5 days old), another baby (6 mos.) and a young child (3) were unharmed. (April 21-22, 2016, Pebbles) – for *George Washington Wagner IV (27/now 30) (Jakes’ bro) indicted (11/12/18), arrested (11/13/18), charged (11/15/18) & arraigned (11/28/18) with 8 counts aggravated murder, (plus gun specifications on each), 1 count of 1st degree conspiracy, 4 counts of 1st degree aggravated burglary, 1 count of 5th degree unlawful possession of dangerous ordnance, 3 counts of 3rd degree evidence tampering, 1 count of 5th degree forgery, 1 count of 5th degree unauthorized use of computer or telecommunications, 1 count of 4th degree interception of wire, oral or electronic communication, 1 count of 5th degree obstructing justice, & 1 count of 1st degree engaging in a pattern of corrupt activity. Plead not guilty. Held without bond. DA will seek the DP. Per Jake’s plea agreement, DP is off the table if his testimony is truthful.
Trial set to begin on 8/29/22 with general voir dire for the jury, opening statements, evidence, etc. (Trial is scheduled for 30 days).
8/8/22
through 8/12/22 - each day beginning at 9am - individual voir dire. (8/8/22: 6 “death qualified” jurors selected).
8/15/22 through 8/19/22 - each day beginning at 9am - individual voir dire.
8/29/22 at 9am - beginning of trial, including general voir dire for the jury, opening statements, evidence & so forth. The jury trial is scheduled for 30 days.

Crime info & court hearings from 11/28/18 thru 7/27/22 including Jury Questionnaires (Day 1-3) 7/5 thru 7/7/22 & Jury Questionnaire Completion (Day 1-3) 7/12 to 7/14/22 & 8/1/22 to 8/5/22 & Jury Voir Dire (Day 1) 8/8/22 reference post #725 here:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...bers-wagner-family-arrested-69.623311/page-37

8/8/22 Monday, Jury Voir Dire Day 1: 1,000 summons sent out. Heard about 40% responded. They need a pool of between 40 & 60 "death qualified" jurors. Those 40 to 60 will be determined through initial questioning which started today. So far, there are 2 in that pool of 40 to 60. Prospective jurors are being questioned one at a time by state & defense. Once that pool of 40 to 60 is complete, those people will return to the Pike County Courthouse on August 29 for large group questioning. Each side gets 6 peremptory strikes. Jurors can be dismissed for cause right now. Trial may NOT be started on 8/29/22. End of day there were 6 “death qualified” jurors selected. Jury voir dire continues on 8/9/22.
*George Washington Wagner III (47/now 51)Last pretrial hearing on 2/1/22.
*Edward Jacob “Jake” Wagner (26/now 29) – Plead guilty (4/22/21) to all charges & will be sentenced to 8 consecutive life terms without the possibility of parole & will testify in the trials.
*Angela Jo Wagner (48/now 51) – 9/10/21: Plead guilty to a plea deal to Counts 9 thru 22, Counts 1-8 were dismissed. Will be sentenced to 30 years in prison with no early release & has to testify against others at trial.
*Rita Jo Newcomb (65/now 69) – Last Motions hearing on 12/2/19 entered a plea of guilty. Expected to testify in the trials.
*Fredericka Carol Wagner (76/now 80) – 6/26/19 Charges were dismissed without prejudice.

Jury selection underway in Pike County …

The first five potential jurors questioned each had a connection to either the Rhoden or Wagner family.

The first, a 23-year-old woman, went to school with the three of the younger victims, Hanna Rhoden, Christopher Rhoden Jr. and Frankie Rhoden.

When the woman was asked if she would be able to handle seeing crime scene photos involving people she knew, she said, "I don't think it is something I can handle." She was dismissed.

Another potential juror lived in Butler County during the massacre, but she said her stepmother used to work with victim Dana Rhoden. Although that potential juror now works for a police department in Pike County and knows prosecutor Rob Junk, she remained in the pool.

Another who made the cut said he went to school with Christopher Rhoden Sr. and attended church with Dana Rhoden.

Another man said he had family who had purchased horses from the Wagner family. He grew up close to the crime scenes and said, "It's what everybody in the entire county talked about." He said he has heard too much and can't be unbiased.

This part of the jury selection is expected to last two to three weeks.

Jury selection underway in Pike County …

The first five potential jurors questioned each had a connection to either the Rhoden or Wagner family.

The first, a 23-year-old woman, went to school with the three of the younger victims, Hanna Rhoden, Christopher Rhoden Jr. and Frankie Rhoden.

When the woman was asked if she would be able to handle seeing crime scene photos involving people she knew, she said, "I don't think it is something I can handle." She was dismissed.

Another potential juror lived in Butler County during the massacre, but she said her stepmother used to work with victim Dana Rhoden. Although that potential juror now works for a police department in Pike County and knows prosecutor Rob Junk, she remained in the pool.

Another who made the cut said he went to school with Christopher Rhoden Sr. and attended church with Dana Rhoden.

Another man said he had family who had purchased horses from the Wagner family. He grew up close to the crime scenes and said, "It's what everybody in the entire county talked about." He said he has heard too much and can't be unbiased.

This part of the jury selection is expected to last two to three weeks.

Hey! I can not access this article. I have in my notes - from tweeter posts - that there were 6 death qualified jurors for yesterday. Is there anything in the article about the other 4?

TIA! :)

Hey! I can not access this article. I have in my notes - from tweeter posts - that there were 6 death qualified jurors for yesterday. Is there anything in the article about the other 4?

TIA! :)
There is nothing I can see anywhere about specific information on the 6 death qualified jurors.

All we know is they made it through to the 40 or 60 that are needed. Then they get the 16 from there.

I wonder what judge Deering meant when he said:

Pike County Circuit Judge Randy Deering told each potential juror that any personal or religious objection to the death penalty is not grounds for dismissal from jury selection.

"

There is nothing I can see anywhere about specific information on the 6 death qualified jurors.

All we know is they made it through to the 40 or 60 that are needed. Then they get the 16 from there.

Pike County Circuit Judge Randy Deering told each potential juror that any personal or religious objection to the death penalty is not grounds for dismissal from jury selection.

"
I thought they had it narrowed to 230 and that they are trying to get the 40-60 in these two weeks. Then on August 29 they start trying to seat the 12 and the alternates. Some of the articles make it confusing. I think some things got pushed out.

"
I think that reason used to be used a lot to get dismissed.

United States Supreme Court Cases on Death Qualification
The Supreme Court held that prospective jurors could not be disqualified from jury service simply because they voiced general objections to the death penalty or expressed conscientious or religious scruples against it.

I thought they had it narrowed to 230 and that they are trying to get the 40-60 in these two weeks. Then on August 29 they start trying to seat the 12 and the alternates. Some of the articles make it confusing. I think some things got pushed out.

I was going by what Levy said yesterday:

Angenette Levy
@Angenette5
A little more information on jury selection in #GeorgeWagnerIV. 1,000 summons sent out. We've heard about 40% responded. To conduct final jury selection, they need a pool of between 40 and 60 "death qualified" jurors. (cont)

Those 40 to 60 will be determined through initial questioning which started today. So far, there are 2 in that pool of 40 to 60. Prospective jurors are being questioned one at a time by state and defense. (cont)

Once that pool of 40 to 60 is complete, those people will return to the Pike County Courthouse on August 29 for large group questioning. Each side gets 6 peremptory strikes. Jurors can be dismissed for cause right now

Another article says this:

The next three weeks will be spent narrowing 230 prospective jurors down to a pool of between 40 and 60 with a series of one-on-one interviews.

Local 12 was not permitted to take cameras into the courtroom during jury selection, but we sat in on several sessions with prospective jurors.

They showed how hard it might be to get impartial jurors because of how much coverage the case has received and how tight-knit this community is.

The judge excused two of the first four because of possible ties to the case or because they said they couldn't be impartial.

Another had close ties to the family of the victims.

There were 14 jurors to be interviewed Monday, with five of the first 10 excused for such reasons or other medical hardships.

One of those excused even told the court that she agreed she would not be a fair juror given all she had heard about the case and her possible ties to it.

"It would take a mental toll on me," she told the court. "It would be hard to put all that aside."

Jury selection starts in Wagner trial, publicity …

Jury selection starts in Wagner trial, publicity and small community in focus​

James Pilcher, WKRC - 3h ago

Last edited:
I was going by what Levy said yesterday:

Angenette Levy
@Angenette5
A little more information on jury selection in #GeorgeWagnerIV. 1,000 summons sent out. We've heard about 40% responded. To conduct final jury selection, they need a pool of between 40 and 60 "death qualified" jurors. (cont)

Those 40 to 60 will be determined through initial questioning which started today. So far, there are 2 in that pool of 40 to 60. Prospective jurors are being questioned one at a time by state and defense. (cont)

Once that pool of 40 to 60 is complete, those people will return to the Pike County Courthouse on August 29 for large group questioning. Each side gets 6 peremptory strikes. Jurors can be dismissed for cause right now

Another article says this:

The next three weeks will be spent narrowing 230 prospective jurors down to a pool of between 40 and 60 with a series of one-on-one interviews.

Local 12 was not permitted to take cameras into the courtroom during jury selection, but we sat in on several sessions with prospective jurors.

They showed how hard it might be to get impartial jurors because of how much coverage the case has received and how tight-knit this community is.

The judge excused two of the first four because of possible ties to the case or because they said they couldn't be impartial.

Another had close ties to the family of the victims.

There were 14 jurors to be interviewed Monday, with five of the first 10 excused for such reasons or other medical hardships.

One of those excused even told the court that she agreed she would not be a fair juror given all she had heard about the case and her possible ties to it.

"It would take a mental toll on me," she told the court. "It would be hard to put all that aside."

Jury selection starts in Wagner trial, publicity …

Jury selection starts in Wagner trial, publicity and small community in focus​

James Pilcher, WKRC - 3h ago
Yeah I think the trial does not start August 29th now as scheduled. Not sure when it will, but maybe after labor day. They may be able to seat the 12 and alternates on August 29th but that may not happen in one day.

Yeah I think the trial does not start August 29th now as scheduled. Not sure when it will, but maybe after labor day. They may be able to seat the 12 and alternates on August 29th but that may not happen in one day.

If this is true from Levy, then it doesn't look like opening arguments will start on the 29th.

Probably after Labor Day. I hope not but we know how this whole Case has dragged out. Opening arguments were sopose to start the 29th.

It will be a relief when we hear that Pike County has seated a jury with the 4 alternates. What would push the trial way back, way back, is if Pike County couldn't seat a jury. Fingers crossed they get their jury.

From what judge Deering said at the last hearing he is allowing "distant" people who knew the victims to be considered for jury duty, and will decide it on a case by case decision.

I think the defense had some type of Motion against this but the Motion was denied.

07/22/2022
MOTION NO. 100 MOTION TO REMOVE POTENTIAL JURORS WHO KNEW THE VICTIM OR HIS/HER FAMILY FILED Attorney: PARKER, JOHN PATRICK

Last edited:
I have never hated a person as much as I hate her. Who awakes up one morning and says..."I can't get my way lets kill everyone in the family."? I am ready to see them all closed away and living horrible lives in prison with people who hate them just as much as I do. That is when the real punishment will begin. They will have dozens if not hundreds of people who have nothing better to do than to decide how they are going to treat the Ws. This will happen a lot until they are killed or they die on their own. It has also crossed my mind that the Ws may take the easy way out because they haven't done anything hard in their lives. Staying alive and living with the years they have to face locked up is probably to mush for them to handle. Unlike the Rs they lack the constitution to take on the smallest of trials and tribulations much less being faced with prison life.
I haven't said much about this tragedy except to lurk and see what you guys had to say but I have been here from the start almost. I am ready for this to be over.
4 sub-humans woke up that day knowing what was to become of the day. 4.

I called Franklin Couty jail and they said JW is still in their custody and she is not sure why it says to call facility for custody status. I dunno. I am always suspicious. He still shows on Frankin county inmate search.
Could just be a glitch or maybe I will keep looking for a couple days to make sure. VINELink - Empowering Victims of Crime
1660086507421.png

Last edited:
Does anyone think FW or RW will attend the trial?

They attended George's hearings, however, I don't recall them attending George's hearings after Jake's confession. Be interesting if we could find out if they attend or not.

FW had other people she thought did it and told this to investigators but now things are different. Now she knows her family did it and George was there. So if she does not attend any of the trial I think it will mean she has maybe soured a bit on George.

Wagner said she told the grand jury the names of the people she suspected killed the Rhodens. As she spoke with The Plain Dealer, Wagner wouldn’t elaborate. But she repeatedly, and vehemently, stressed the innocence of her family.
A matriarch's fight: Fredericka Wagner denies …

BW (G3)
08/08/2022AGREED MOTION TO CONTINUE HEARING ON PENDING MOTIONS AND JURY TRIAL DATE FILED Attorney: COLLINS, MARK C; Attorney: HAYES, THOMAS F

Well, I wonder when they will fit in these Motions for Billy? I mean isn't the prosecution a little busy right now? And how can Billy be acquitted in his trial if Jake testifies that Billy shot a victim? Billy was at the door of Chris Sr's faking a lucrative drug deal and that obviously came from Jake. The prosecution wouldn't know that.

I just don't see any defense for Billy if he goes to trial.

Jake says he killed 5 and shot a 6th and that George didn't shoot anyone. Who does that leave? You do the math.

Well, I wonder when they will fit in these Motions? I mean isn't the prosecution a little busy right now? And how can Billy be acquitted in his trial if Jake testifies that Billy shot a victim? Billy was at the door of Chris Sr's faking a lucrative drug deal and that obviously came from Jake. The prosecution wouldn't know that.

I just don't see any defense for Billy if he goes to trial.

Jake says he killed 5 and shot a 6th and that George didn't shoot anyone. Who does that leave? You do the math.
Apparently BW was suppose to have a motion hearing at 1 pm today and the trial start Oct 3rd. That certainly was not on the docket officially, was a surprise to me.

I called Franklin Couty jail and they said JW is still in their custody and she is not sure why it says to call facility for custody status. I dunno. I am always suspicious. He still shows on Frankin county inmate search.
Could just be a glitch or maybe I will keep looking for a couple days to make sure. VINELink - Empowering Victims of Crime
View attachment 358667

Possibly they will move Jake to a closer jail for trial like they moved George? As you can see from the screenshot, there are jails closer to Pike County. Ross is definitely closer.

Images of Ohio County Maps

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220809-195031.png
    Screenshot_20220809-195031.png
    461.9 KB · Views: 9
I know exactly how many monsters were involved. I still think AW was a driving force behind it. I also think she could have said no and they would have stayed in the talking phase.

She has been referred to as the mastermind.

Here is what the Attorney General said about her:

Ohio Attorney Gen. Dave Yost issued a statement Friday evening following the plea agreement filed in Angela Wagner’s case:

“Our society reveres mothers for taking care of their children and teaching them to do the right thing, even when it’s hard. But by actively plotting the murder of an entire family and encouraging her own kids to carry out the violence, Angela Wagner abjectly failed in her responsibilities.”

Angela Wagner pleads guilty to conspiracy in 2016 Pike County massacre

She is the one who wanted to be called "mom" by her grandkids, or at least thought of as "mom" and got angry when Jake's daughter called Jake's wife mom. She threatened to kill George's wife and ran her off.

She was monitoring Hanna and George's MIL's Facebook accounts and reported straight to Jake that Hanna wouldn't sign papers, they would have to kill her first. Only 4 months later they killed her.

It was Angela's laptop that had all the screenshots of hacked Facebook conversations and had downloaded the custody documents. Angela who faked the custody documents and faked her mother's signature. I believe Angela instigated the fake custody document plot giving her custody, as Canepa said, the Rhodens could have fought back and killed Jake and George and she wanted the custody.

She of course made purchases for the murder kit. If Angela had told Jake that him having liberal visitation was enough, and had tried to be friends with Dana etc... Even Dana and Chris as a couple (they were planning to get back together) then none if this would have happened.

Angela was the driving force and probably even put it in Jake's mind that Hanna was bringing his daughter around unsavory characters. There was nothing wrong with CH, just a bunch of made up hype to push to get custody.

Id say Chillicothe would be the best and safest place to house JW during his testimony. It is where death row inmates are housed. Who knows, it may be his permanent housing, if not Lucasville.

Any word on jury being potentially sequestered? Too soon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RedWriter