OH Pike County: 8 in Rhoden Family Murdered Over Custody Issue 4 Members Wagner Family Arrested#37

Discussion in 'Crimes in the News' started by tlcya, Jul 29, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MittenScarpetta

MittenScarpetta Well-Known Member

That is all rumor.

2. pepper 34

pepper 34 Well-Known Member

Governor DeWine said the main motivation for the murders was a custody issue and that might be the closest thing to an apology as he's ever willing to make. But, I agree with you. Apologies would be nice because they did pursue the pot angle, it seems, when Mr. Manley handed them the correct answer on day one. I think maybe Sheriff Reader has said some things to the Rhodens though. He went to speak to them personally on the day of the arrests. He must have said something along those lines (?) I hope so anyway. And he was the one who asked for tips and told people nothing would happen to them about any drugs involved. It was a murder investigation, he said... not a drug investigation.
    Sure, growing pot is against the law but you can't arrest people who have been murdered. (I'd rather see the tobacco company growers all go to jail than a pot grower but that's just how I feel.,, it kills people every day of every week, all year long, every year and it's heavily taxed so it gets a "pass." Okay, that's the law... the "right people" are growing it.)
    It was a fair and logical guess that the pot might somehow be involved, too. I'm glad LE didn't get permanently locked into that theory though.
    And, Governor DeWine or not... in comparison to the cartels and some other large or mid-range, whatever, growers, I still consider the amount of pot grown on the Rhoden's properties, small apples. (It has nothing to do with trying to make them into saints or being "very close to the cross.") "Commercial grow" sounds so serious and official but it simply means selling the pot you grow. There are so many things that people can do that are so much worse than that, imo.

Chelly, Anizeta, Bootsctr and 9 others like this.
  3. rsd1200

rsd1200 If there's no link, it's just my own 2¢.

Yes, a couple weeks prior to the murders. The boys said the were just out "joy riding" but I'm not so sure about that.

Bootsctr, altojack, superbee and 4 others like this.
  4. iridized

iridized Well-Known Member

And to that I disagree. I respect people who follow the law of the land. I respect people who invest in legal businesses. They bring needed jobs and money into communities. I myself have invested in a corporation that has a legal grow operation. There are reasons for the various hoops one must jump to satisfy regulations, most serious, the one of safety. Sure, go ahead if you want and puff puff puff on cannabis that has mold spores. It's great for your lungs! About as healthy as the big mac and fries that so many chow down on with their large soda as they are injecting themselves with insulin. And with that, good night folks.

superbee, Normrock and Subiechik21 like this.
  5. Normrock

Normrock Well-Known Member

The dog fighting was brought up at news conference at day of arrest. Dewine was asked to clear up Rhodan's and Manly's reputation. He said paraphrasing here, they released what they saw at the time.

superbee, Bootsctr, altojack and 3 others like this.
  6. Betty P

Betty P Well-Known Member

Confiscating James Manley's truck the day of the murders, waking them up at 3:30 am and dragging them to the police station for questioning, poly exams and DNA testing (which they all voluntarily gave) were not the PCSO or BCI's finest hour. When they tried to entrap JM over 1 year after the murders just a few weeks after LE let Jake Wagner take S and move to Alaska, it looked like the wheels had fallen off the investigation. Making the poor guy miss work, pay legal fees, etc. while the Wags were settling inup on the Kenai Peninsula. Why didn't they try to entrap the Wags before they left Ohio.

Oh, and the small reward fund that they tried to hide for 8 weeks. I hope that is also explained.

There are some apologies due.

Chelly, Hapworth, smitty1234 and 10 others like this.
  7. Betty P

That's ok. We disagree. No, I don't smoke cannabis, nor do I drink or do drugs. I'm more someone who opposes the criminalization poverty.

grillzgirl, Anizeta, Looloo and 9 others like this.
  8. Betty P

That's interesting, but I don't recall it. Can you find a link? TIA.

9. pepper 34

Yes, and the assumption made on older threads was, that if there were a large number of plants inside the trailer, at some point they would need to be transferred outside. For living space of the people and also, apparently the scent of the plants becomes quite strong and would be detectable if anyone came close to the trailer.

10. Jennifer17

Jennifer17 Former Member

I thought that it was cock fighting.

superbee, Bootsctr, Betty P and 4 others like this.
  11. Normrock

I do see some of the problems the prosecution will have IF this goes to trial. Beyond a reasonable doubt. It only takes one. No I do not think weed is bad, but in states its illegal(like mine) getting it means dealing with people I rather not be around. That's why I go to Colorado.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2018
    superbee, Bootsctr, altojack and 3 others like this.
  12. Normrock

superbee and Subiechik21 like this.
  13. pepper 34

Frankie raised roosters that can be used in cockfighting and they were also very beautiful birds. They were out in shelters where people stopping by could see them so... if he was raising them and fighting them, why would he keep them out where people could see them? People found that he was quite open about photos and letting people know they were for sale on his Facebook pages. They were not a big secret. There was never any proof given that he participated in cockfighting afaik. He also raised coon hounds. As far as I know, they are not used in dog fighting.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2018
    superbee, 8paws, Bootsctr and 6 others like this.
  14. rsd1200

Unfortunately, it does a lot of times. Most all weed dealers, even if selling ONLY weed, have customers that don't purchase, or partake in, ONLY weed. Those business folks come across that dealer's threshold and into their domicile. Look at the connections that GR had... for example (not to mention his mother and step-father). That's GR, the man whose ex-sil said; "Hurting GR was like kickin' a dog." In other words, GR was a good fella. Why would anyone hurt him?

Chelly, superbee, Bootsctr and 4 others like this.
  15. Dudly

Dudly Well-Known Member

I keep getting more amazed at what little I know about growing pot and about how much everyone else knows...

Chelly, superbee, Hapworth and 8 others like this.
  16. Normrock

I was talking about how it went from 200 plants to just personal use, just seedlings etc, recently in thread.

superbee, Bootsctr and Subiechik21 like this.
  17. rsd1200

Because that's how they are raised. We have breeders of those birds all over the place throughout these hills. If you don't separate the males and/or tether them, they will naturally fight each other. They just can't slash each other to shreds b/c they don't have spurs on their feet (knives).

Chelly, superbee, Bootsctr and 4 others like this.
  18. Dudly

Dudly Well-Known Member

Never saw any of this anywhere, myself, maybe someone else did...

There was a huge grow operation under a body shop with bank vault doors to get in.
    Adams County shuts down massive pot "grow"

superbee, Bootsctr, altojack and 6 others like this.
  19. pepper 34

I'm with you. All I've learned about pot growing I've learned here and I haven't smoked the stuff in about 35 or 40 years. But, to be honest about it, I had start skimming by in some of the old threads. This subject of pot was hashed over and sorted through until... well, just a long time.

Anizeta, superbee, 8paws and 7 others like this.
  20. MittenScarpetta

MittenScarpetta Well-Known Member

The Eury’s. I’m sorry but this makes me giggle every time. Not because they had an underground vault, but because they refused to give LE the combination to open the vault, so LE politely used a piece of heavy equipment and busted through the wall. I don’t know why, but it’s funny to me. The Eury’s also has more than the underground vault IIRC. One grow location was relatively close to Dana’s.

superbee, Bootsctr, altojack and 5 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.