OH Pike County: 8 in Rhoden Family Murdered Over Custody Issue 4 Members Wagner Family Arrested#42

Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't seen anything about it yet in the news media, but perhaps some of the details will be reported in the next few days. Jake Wagner's next pre-trial hearing is in 2 days, IIRC. The evidence pertains to his case, so perhaps the news media will report on it then. They did report on some of the details from the last group of discovery files, so anticipate they will do the same this time. The secrecy on this case is a bit maddening and unusual. As always.

Thank you. Is there a link to their report on the first batch?

I still have a feeling there's DNA evidence linking them to the crime scene. LE had taken many DNA swabs from people. The Manleys even said they volunteered for it. As I've said before, AG DeWine (now governor) wouldn't have staked his own professional reputation on these arrests without having solid evidence.
DNA would definitely seal the guilt

I too am looking forward to JW's court date tomorrow!
Will he be wearing jail issue clothing? Street clothes? Dress up clothes, like GGWiv?
I am most curious regarding his demeanor. Will he be all smiley and smug like last time? Will his attorney have taught him court etiquette yet? Yes, your honor..no, your honor....

iirc reader at a presser said they intended to prosecute those witnesses, or people who were ‘lying’ to them. When was that?

I think that was early in the investigation when they were trying to pressure witnesses to come forward - people they suspected or possibly knew had some information about the murders.

When DeWine and Reader gave their last PC (they're under gag orders now, so can't talk publicly about the case) in November, they said there was no evidence anyone else was involved in the killings.

Pike County murders: DeWine lays out charges in 2016 Rhoden killings

At Jake's first pre-trial on December 20th, the prosecution and defense attorneys met in the Judge's Chambers for nearly an hour, late starts are normal even family is coming to court later now.

His hearing tomorrow is scheduled for 11:00 am, but two of those are "motion hearings" and the other a pre-trial hearing. So there will probably be the usual delay if the motion hearings are in judge's chambers. I'm going to check news media web sites first thing to see what time they post.

I just checked the pike county court of appeals website. I was able to search a little information about the cases. On January 17, 2019 The State's Supplemental Discovery was filed for GGWiii(Billy), JW and GGWiv. It was not shown as filed under AW's case, wonder why?
https://www.pikecountycpcourt.org/eservices/home.page.2
To search JW use his given first name, Edward

I just checked the pike county court of appeals website. I was able to search a little information about the cases. On January 17, 2019 The State's Supplemental Discovery was filed for GGWiii(Billy), JW and GGWiv. It was not shown as filed under AW's case, wonder why?
https://www.pikecountycpcourt.org/eservices/home.page.2
To search JW use his given first name, Edward

Maybe the evidence in that discovery only applied to their cases? Hmmm.

Maybe the evidence in that discovery only applied to their cases? Hmmm.
Looks like we might be back to - AW stayed home and babysat or was the driver (the Excursion was her car) and the W3 executed the actual murders..
If so, AW would be the logical one to turn on the others. Why get the DP when she didn't commit the actual murders. Maybe that was why RW was trying so hard to pass her a note in AW's "court outfit". Telling her, stay strong, we love you, God loves you, we'll get you out of here, don't worry and oh, please don't turn on my son and two grandsons...
Those trials can't come fast enough!
This is just my speculation of a possible scenario. MMO

Last edited:
Thursday, January 24th:
*Pretrial & Motions Hearing (@ 11am ET) - OH - Pike County 8 people dead: Christopher Rhoden, Sr. (40), his ex-wife, Dana Manley Rhoden (37), their three children, Clarence "Frankie" Rhoden (20), Christopher Jr. (16), Hanna Mae (19); Frankie's fiancée, Hannah Hazel Gilley (20), Christopher Rhoden Sr.'s brother, Kenneth Rhoden (44), & a cousin, Gary Rhoden (38). Hanna Rhoden's baby girl (5 days old), another baby (6 mos) and a young child (3) were unharmed. (April 21-22, 2016, Pebbles) –
Only for *Edward Jacob "Jake" Wagner (26) (former boyfriend of Hanna) indicted (11/12/18), arrested (11/13/18), charged (11/15/18) & arraigned (11/27/18) with 8 counts aggravated murder, (plus gun specifications on each), 1 count conspiracy, 4 counts aggravated burglary, 1 count unlawful possession of dangerous ordnance, 3 counts evidence tampering, 1 count forgery, 1 count unauthorized use of property, 1 count interception of wire, oral or electronic communication, 1 count obstructing justice, 1 count engaging in a pattern of corrupt activity & unlawful sexual conduct with a minor. (He’s accused of engaging in sexual contact with Hanna Rhoden when she was 15 & he was 20). Plead not guilty. Held without bond.
11/27/18: Arraignment hearing: Plead not guilty to all 23 charges. No bond per Judge. Defense asks to waive Speedy trial, granted by Judge. Next pretrial hearings on 12/20 & 1/24/19.
12/20/18 Update: Jake may appear in street clothes but Court asked Sheriffs office to tell him what types of restraints are available for use in court. Motion to restrain Jake from discussing Case with parties not covered under gag order deferred to Jan 24, 2019 Extension of time to file pretrial motions is partially granted pending Court being informed of discovery process. Next hearing on 1/24/19.

In looking at entries for Jake, I see this:
12/27/2018 JOURNAL ENTRY -- THE CLERK OF COURTS OF CLARK COUNTY, HAVING BEEN APPOINTED AS SPECIAL DEPUTY CLERK OF COURTS, SHALL CONVEY INTO THE CUSTODY OF JUSTIN P. BREWSTER, CLERK OF COURTS OF PIKE COUNTY ALL DOCUMENTS AND RECORDS PERTAINING TO THIS MATTER; THE CLARK COUNTY CLERK OF COURTS IS DISCHARGED OF ANY FURTHER RESPONSIBILITIES AS SPECIAL DEPUTY CLERK COPIES FILED MAILED TO COUNSEL, DEFENDANTS, PROSECUTORS

Comments as to importance or meaning?
“All documents and records pertaining to this matter” What would these documents and records pertain to - JW’s incarceration...? Or more?
My opinion,
Pike County, after 2 years of reading about procedures and usual questionable course of events in criminal matters, does not seem to be the most reliable place for records to be kept, especially if a gag order is in effect and confidentiality is expected.
Maybe I am misunderstanding this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member