OH Pike County: 8 in Rhoden Family Murdered Over Custody Issue 4 Members Wagner Family Arrested#48

Discussion in 'Crimes in the News' started by tlcya, Jul 29, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cool Cats

Cool Cats "JUSTICE IS COMING "

LOL....Yes it is slow and tedious. What is irksome is that so much of these pretrial hearings are being discussed back in the Judge's chambers rather than in open court. It was a little confusing just to find out when they all could wear civilian clothes for example...o_O...And some discovery is posted on line but then other batches are not. Like Jake's only from December and Angela's only from March!

...My 2 Cents......

Last edited: May 19, 2019
    Berrybell, Betty P, FrankieT and 3 others like this.
  2. Sleuthinsleuther

Sleuthinsleuther Well-Known Member

Congrats to LE, they figured it out and solved the case that many of us weren’t able to. They also had a lot more resources than an average person.

My opinion is it wasn’t skill that solved the case, but the W’s just left too much evidence that it was undeniable

buttonbaby and Skibunny like this.
  3. Sleuthinsleuther

Sleuthinsleuther Well-Known Member

When are these trials for the main 4 gonna get underway?

Cool Cats likes this.
  4. Cool Cats

WAVERLY – Justice is slow.
    Prosecution of Wagners in Rhoden murders to take 'years,' cost thousands

Excerpts from article:

Answers to countless questions about the methodical murders of eight members of a Pike County family in April 2016 are years away. Much like the investigation took years, so will the prosecution.

Even without the death penalty specification adding time to the process, the investigation involved following up on about 1,100 tips, conducting 550 interviews, serving more than 200 subpoenas, search warrants, and court orders, and testing over 700 items.

"It's not uncommon for a typical capital case to involve over 500 hours of work, and that's without all the stuff to go through in the Rhoden case," Bogen said.

Among those first motions from the defense will likely be a request to move the trials out of Pike County due to the extensive pre-trial publicity of the case and concerns about the Wagners receiving a fair trial.

“This case has received more publicity than anything we’ve ever had,” Junk said.

In Ohio, co-defendants in death penalty cases are required to have their own trials, so it’s possible the four cases could be tried in four different counties as each trial will likely generate local media attention.

Those decisions will be up to Deering who also will be sifting through and deciding on what could be at least 200 motions combined. Once a trial date is set, that process too will be quite the undertaking with each case likely taking more than a month to complete.

While typical jury selection involves a single round of questions looking for potential conflicts and prejudices, those in death penalty cases also have a second round focused on their views on capital punishment.

“We all have a lot of hard work ahead of us,” Junk said.

5. buttonbaby

buttonbaby Well-Known Member

BBM... ITA with you Kentucky Mama... IMO, the W4s are guilty as all get out, and I cannot wait to see what all comes out at trial. MOO, JMO.

I cannot even begin to fathom what these three families have gone through and continue to go through... you're so right.... they have all been irreparably wounded for generations.

6. Dudly

Dudly Well-Known Member

So you are saying no one investigating this case contributed anything of value? It was just mistakes by the perps that got them arrested? But, no skill was needed to find those mistakes?

7. rsd1200

rsd1200 If there's no link, it's just my own 2¢.

After they came out of the courthouse, LM has not spoken to the media again, iirc. I think JM's lawyer possibly had a talk with him, and maybe some of his family talked to him too. Just my thoughts. I understood his pain, but, the media is out for the story, I feel they used his pain, to get stories and information from him.

8. rsd1200

rsd1200 If there's no link, it's just my own 2¢.

BBM
    I see that a lot. I see it a lot with the arrests too. Police officers arrest folks, under the guidelines of probable cause. LEOs are suppose to have sufficient facts and evidence to warrant a "belief" that someone has committed a crime prior to searching their home or person, or pressing charges.

The prosecutor's office has to prove the case, with what data they have, to convince a judge or jury, beyond-a-reasonable-doubt. There's no other logical explanation than, this person committed that crime.

Berrybell, Myland, Dudly and 2 others like this.
  9. Merrygirl

Merrygirl Well-Known Member

Look what I found!!! It doesn’t show busting through the gate (I believe that was on FB) but it shows the LEO convoy at Flying W farms. I’ve hunted for 2 days. Twitter

10. Betty P

Betty P Well-Known Member

The only thing I can think of is if they broke through another gate at the top of the hill, near their property. Even so, all the W's had to do was open it to avoid LE breaking it down.

Great work, Merrygirl. I think the video you found was from last November, though, when they did the arrests.

Dudly and Loomis124 like this.
  11. Betty P

LOL. Yeah, no kidding. :rolleyes:o_O

At least the grandmas will probably begin their trials around July or so. JMO, the others won't start until late this year or early next.

Berrybell, KentuckyMama and Dudly like this.
  12. Cool Cats

Nice, thankx....

Wonder why an ambulance? Did they think someone would faint from shock?

Berrybell, Dudly and Betty P like this.
  13. Betty P

Thanks, Niner! You're such a great help in so many case threads here! I'll update this info in the Media & Timelines thread. Thank you, too, Johnny B Bad!

14. Merrygirl

Merrygirl Well-Known Member

Yes, it was. It’s all I can find. I saw one on fb back at the time of arrests but can’t find it anywhere. It was only on for a couple of days and may have been yanked. It showed the lead vehicle crash through the gates and was recorded by someone in the convoy. I believe LE cut the lock then the lead vehicle barreled through the gate. Sorry but I can’t find it and unless it was in msm then I couldn’t post it anyway.

15. Dudly

Dudly Well-Known Member

Interesting that the ambulance was from Columbus. I'd think there would be one closer. I wonder if those EMTs had special training of some kind...

Cool Cats and Skibunny like this.
  16. Dudly

Dudly Well-Known Member

Maybe they thought there could be a shootout....

LovelyB, Fletcher73, rsd1200 and 3 others like this.
  17. Betty P

Today I'm wondering about all the Walmart shoe dept. video of the Ws in the weeks leading up to the murders.

What required multiple shopping trips, sometimes to different Walmart stores? Were they looking for a specific brand and style of shoes that the store didn't have in stock in certain sizes? Were they looking for more than one type of shoe worn by different members of the family to disguise their own footprints? Were they looking for a type of shoe worn by someone related or known to the family who didn't live at the murder scene, to frame them for the murders? What required multiple shopping trips to different stores?

I was also wondering at the possibility it may be harder to tie AW to the murders if there's no evidence present at the murder scenes. If she's shown on the video helping shop for these shoes, that legally ties her to the murders, even if she didn't pull the trigger.

What other evidence do they have that conclusively ties her to the planning of the murders? Text messages? Cell phone calls? Participation in the forgeries? Assisting in the sale of the black Ford Explorer that was later searched and photographed in 3D? Lying about when Jake picked up S from Dana's home?

18. Betty P

I think there was also a gag order put on JW's case when it went to the GJ. That may have also been a factor in Len Manley not talking.

19. Dudly

Dudly Well-Known Member

The gag order on FW was filed March 22nd. It is 11 pages.

Berrybell, Fletcher73 and Betty P like this.
  20. Justus Forall

Justus Forall New Member

BBM Could it be the W’s we’re trying to throw a smoke screen because they knew they were being video recorded? One or more demonstrated knowledge about security JMO.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.