OH - Pike County: 8 people from one family dead as police hunt for killer(s) - #25

Status
Not open for further replies.
It may be a matter of semantics, but my post pretty much states what you just said.

I understood you to mean that if they had evidence in hand that they would have made an arrest by now. I just tend to disagree. If that's not what you meant, no problem, simple misunderstanding. It happens.

That's a good example of thorough police work. You have to wonder if too many LE and prosecutors today think they have to have a DNA match for every perp before they make an arrest, when old-fashioned investigative work is just as important. Today, you wonder about some cases when it seems LE only looks for DNA and waits for the public to call in with tips to solve the case. It's still necessary to use the shoe leather - get out and talk to people, follow up, check and re-check alibis, etc. They need prosecutors who are energetic, skilled and experienced enough to build cases on more than just DNA evidence.

If these 4 crime scenes were so sterile, if the perps left so little evidence behind, they wouldn't be locking up all the homes. There has to be evidence available to them - cell phone, internet records and other evidence found at the crime scene. If, as they claim, the killers are local, it shouldn't too difficult to build that case.

As for locals not caring if the crime is solved - it's hard to believe people could be that ignorant and uncaring. An entire family was killed, including young people who hadn't lived long enough to deserve that kind of death. No human being deserves that. Regardless of local opinion, the public demands that cases be investigated and killers caught and punished.

I would certainly hope those with irrational hatred of the Rhodens don't think it's ok for killers capable of ambushing and killing 8 people to walk around in the community, free to kill again. That's a very sick POV, IMO.

BBM
That's what Dewine said in the very beginning. I do think they've been doing that too. However, I did not think that Reader should have said he'd start locking up folks who lied to him. So far, I've not known of any who he's followed through on with his threat. I think he placed his bet that it would bring people forward, and it didn't. To me, it lost him some credibility.

http://1010wcsi.com/autopsies-completed-in-shooting-massacre-that-killed-8-ohio-relatives/

DeWine and Reader both cautioned that the investigation likely would take a long time. “A lot of what is going on here is just basic, old-fashioned police work,” DeWine said.

http://www.newswatchman.com/spotlight/article_5e9a1390-2fe6-50b8-ae2e-ba251d5b58f8.html
'They need to come forward, or we will arrest them'

BBM
That's what Dewine said in the very beginning. I do think they've been doing that too. However, I did not think that Reader should have said he'd start locking up folks who lied to him. So far, I've not known of any who he's followed through on with his threat. I think he placed his bet that it would bring people forward, and it didn't. To me, it lost him some credibility.

http://1010wcsi.com/autopsies-completed-in-shooting-massacre-that-killed-8-ohio-relatives/

http://www.newswatchman.com/spotlight/article_5e9a1390-2fe6-50b8-ae2e-ba251d5b58f8.html

Agree, the statements to the locals hasn't been helpful. They may have gotten by with that approach in the past, but this is a much bigger crime. IMO, Reader is directing his comments to local people who might have information about the killers, but I'm still of the opinion the killers were from outside the area, maybe even from another state.

It took some experience for this. As someone posted here a while back - it takes a certain kind of killer to stick a gun in the face of young innocent people, with infants nearby, and blow them away. Repeat same going from room to room, house to house. Not many killers have that kind of experience. Rage burns away in most mass killings, with the angry perp either breaking down and leaving or killing himself. These killers were hired experts who don't think twice. Probably none of those in Pike County or anywhere else nearby.

I'm not sure where Reader is going by implying these killers are local, but it doesn't seem to be working so far.

That's a good example of thorough police work. You have to wonder if too many LE and prosecutors today think they have to have a DNA match for every perp before they make an arrest, when old-fashioned investigative work is just as important. Today, you wonder about some cases when it seems LE only looks for DNA and waits for the public to call in with tips to solve the case. It's still necessary to use the shoe leather - get out and talk to people, follow up, check and re-check alibis, etc. They need prosecutors who are energetic, skilled and experienced enough to build cases on more than just DNA evidence.

If these 4 crime scenes were so sterile, if the perps left so little evidence behind, they wouldn't be locking up all the homes. There has to be evidence available to them - cell phone, internet records and other evidence found at the crime scene. If, as they claim, the killers are local, it shouldn't too difficult to build that case.

As for locals not caring if the crime is solved - it's hard to believe people could be that ignorant and uncaring. An entire family was killed, including young people who hadn't lived long enough to deserve that kind of death. No human being deserves that. Regardless of local opinion, the public demands that cases be investigated and killers caught and punished.

I would certainly hope those with irrational hatred of the Rhodens don't think it's ok for killers capable of ambushing and killing 8 people to walk around in the community, free to kill again. That's a very sick POV, IMO.

BBM
Pike county is very rural with a small population. If they started questioning people, putting pressure on them, someone will let something slip. No way did these killers waltz in and kill 8 people in 4 different homes and not let an iota of information slip to their family and friends.

We have all pretty much agreed there had to be two killers. That is double the circle of family (provided they are not siblings), friends and associates. According to the theory of six degrees (Six degrees of separation is the idea that all living things and everything else in the world is six or fewer steps away from each other so that a chain of "a friend of a friend" statements can be made to connect any two people in a maximum of six steps.) in a sparsely populated area like Pike County everyone in that county knows at least twelve people who knows one of the killers. Maybe it is time for Sheriff Reader to put on some comfortable walking shoes and start asking questions.

When I talked to the chief here he said something that got me thinking. He said it could be a case of Boss Hogg of the Dukes of Hazard. In other words the top guy in the county who pays the most taxes and therefore pays the salary of the Sheriffs office may be the one who is ordering all the killings. Pretty far fetched but it gets you thinking about why Reader seems to be trying his best not to solve this case or have any publicity about it.

And as for locals not caring about a killer being caught I cannot believe they would be so naive as to believe these killers will not strike again with even less provocation next time. Maybe they feel insulated by the belief that the Rhodens brought it on themselves and so therefore if they don't do the same thing it can never happen to them. But that is very dangerous thinking because once a person kills another person the second time around is always easier and takes less for the killer to resort to murder as a way out of problems.

IMO, all the recuseals, are just "stall" tactics. Also imo, if they have nothing to report about this case by the anniversary date, I think they should hand it all over to the FBI. Round up all suspects and jail them till they talk. If "locals" think all people involved in this are criminals already, what's the harm? The definition of insanity is to "do the same thing over and over again, expecting different results".

IMO, all the recuseals, are just "stall" tactics. Also imo, if they have nothing to report about this case by the anniversary date, I think they should hand it all over to the FBI. Round up all suspects and jail them till they talk. If "locals" think all people involved in this are criminals already, what's the harm? The definition of insanity is to "do the same thing over and over again, expecting different results".

BBM
I lean toward this latest recusal, and possibly the former one, as being wise decisions. Things like family relationships, and other connections, can lead to problems later on in the courtroom.

They can only hold someone for so long w/o charging them. There must be sufficient evidence to charge them, and anyone brought in to be questioned has the right to remain silent, and to contact a lawyer. There have been coerced confessions over the years, by shady LEOs, and innocent people were sent to prison b/c they were coerced, and talked w/o a lawyer present, and didn't realize what they were saying was incriminating themselves. Some have even confessed when they've reached mental and physical exhaustion, or were young and not accompanied by a parent, and were told they could leave or see their parents if they'd just talk. The police can lie to you to get you to talk to them and they know the right way to do it too.

Edit: I agree with Flatbush that it took too long. I do think that they stretched it out as long as possible. I'm leaning toward the results being released after this last recusal.

I think there must be a credible threat of retaliation that includes family for coming forward with info. So the info isn't asked for or rewarded.

threat from LE perhaps? it wouldnt be the first time police in small town be corrupt as heck. :notgood:

And then I keep thinking about JJ's trial...as far as I could tell by everything I read about the two cases against him, along with his less than adequate job performance, he should be headed to the pen. Instead, he's probably he's strutting around free as a bird. I'm not sure he's responsible enough or trustworthy enough to have a job shoveling poop at the zoo.
I honestly wonder if somebody(s) were paid off. But then I hàve to wonder where the money would have come from.
And to think that the same county employees, I'm guessing would be involved in the Rhoden trial is REALLY scary! Doesn't seem like there are enough ducks in Texas to get in a row to convict murderers in Pike County.:stormingmad::stormingmad::stormingmad:

And then I keep thinking about JJ's trial...as far as I could tell by everything I read about the two cases against him, along with his less than adequate job performance, he should be headed to the pen. Instead, he's probably he's strutting around free as a bird. I'm not sure he's responsible enough or trustworthy enough to have a job shoveling poop at the zoo.
I honestly wonder if somebody(s) were paid off. But then I hàve to wonder where the money would have come from.
And to think that the same county employees, I'm guessing would be involved in the Rhoden trial is REALLY scary! Doesn't seem like there are enough ducks in Texas to get in a row to convict murderers in Pike County.:stormingmad::stormingmad::stormingmad:

I think you may have won Comment Of The Day.

BBM
Pike county is very rural with a small population. If they started questioning people, putting pressure on them, someone will let something slip. No way did these killers waltz in and kill 8 people in 4 different homes and not let an iota of information slip to their family and friends.

We have all pretty much agreed there had to be two killers. That is double the circle of family (provided they are not siblings), friends and associates. According to the theory of six degrees (Six degrees of separation is the idea that all living things and everything else in the world is six or fewer steps away from each other so that a chain of "a friend of a friend" statements can be made to connect any two people in a maximum of six steps.) in a sparsely populated area like Pike County everyone in that county knows at least twelve people who knows one of the killers. Maybe it is time for Sheriff Reader to put on some comfortable walking shoes and start asking questions.

When I talked to the chief here he said something that got me thinking. He said it could be a case of Boss Hogg of the Dukes of Hazard. In other words the top guy in the county who pays the most taxes and therefore pays the salary of the Sheriffs office may be the one who is ordering all the killings. Pretty far fetched but it gets you thinking about why Reader seems to be trying his best not to solve this case or have any publicity about it.

And as for locals not caring about a killer being caught I cannot believe they would be so naive as to believe these killers will not strike again with even less provocation next time. Maybe they feel insulated by the belief that the Rhodens brought it on themselves and so therefore if they don't do the same thing it can never happen to them. But that is very dangerous thinking because once a person kills another person the second time around is always easier and takes less for the killer to resort to murder as a way out of problems.

Yeah, the "Boss Hogg" theory has been on my mind since the beginning of this case. Locals won't talk if they've seen or heard anything for fear of retribution. Sometimes people have been living in that kind of system for so long they don't know any other way to respond.

Don't even get me started with the problematic county prosecutor who is responsible for bringing (or not) charges in this case:

http://www.newswatchman.com/comment/letters/article_428bd05f-cd63-536c-bd3d-38b4aef687b9.html

Very recently the Pike County Prosecuting Attorney, Rob Junk, made the single-handed decision to dismiss felony related charges against two twenty-six year old Pike County citizens from prominent families.

I can understand that a hearing on the sale and/or conversion of the 38 pounds of marijuana related to a shatter lab operation would be a waste of time and too expensive to justify the formal judicial process. To take such a trivial matter to court would be ludicrous. I applaud Rob for using good judgment in not taking two upstanding young men through a trial. They meant no harm. Nor do others manufacturing crack, crank, various hash oils, and, of course, meth. This was truly a Christian act by an elected public servant forgiving those operating such a harmless business. After all, how could they support their young families without income?

BBM

http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/local/2015/12/11/ex-pike-county-deputy-under-scrutiny.html

http://www.chillicothegazette.com/s...-claim-harassment-county-prosecutor/26546539/

Supposedly DeWine is in charge, but he's MIA. Time to bring in FBI, US Marshals, DEA whomever else it takes to get this investigation moving again. Enough sand bagging.

I KNEW I didn't like him! I think he ought to be impeached, and have his name drug thru the mud in every newspaper in the country! What a pompous A$$! Not to mention, he seems to have as much backbone as a big, fat, fishing worm. If I had done any of those things, and said any of those things, I think I would get queasy every time I looked in the mirror.

BBM
I lean toward this latest recusal, and possibly the former one, as being wise decisions. Things like family relationships, and other connections, can lead to problems later on in the courtroom.

They can only hold someone for so long w/o charging them. There must be sufficient evidence to charge them, and anyone brought in to be questioned has the right to remain silent, and to contact a lawyer. There have been coerced confessions over the years, by shady LEOs, and innocent people were sent to prison b/c they were coerced, and talked w/o a lawyer present, and didn't realize what they were saying was incriminating themselves. Some have even confessed when they've reached mental and physical exhaustion, or were young and not accompanied by a parent, and were told they could leave or see their parents if they'd just talk. The police can lie to you to get you to talk to them and they know the right way to do it too.

Edit: I agree with Flatbush that it took too long. I do think that they stretched it out as long as possible. I'm leaning toward the results being released after this last recusal.

I think it is pretty shameful that LE can and do lie during interrogations. They are allowed to lie but you are expected to tell the truth.

threat from LE perhaps? it wouldnt be the first time police in small town be corrupt as heck. :notgood:

Corrupt LEO(s) involvement, in some way or the other, has been in my top three from the get go. Pike County doesn't have a the most stellar LED history. However, Pike does not seem to be alone. DR, CR2, and HR, technically lived in Adams County, and KR lived in Scioto. All three of those counties butt up against one another right along UHR and LF and all three seem to have had some issues w/their LEDs.

Yeah, the "Boss Hogg" theory has been on my mind since the beginning of this case. Locals won't talk if they've seen or heard anything for fear of retribution. Sometimes people have been living in that kind of system for so long they don't know any other way to respond.

Don't even get me started with the problematic county prosecutor who is responsible for bringing (or not) charges in this case:

http://www.newswatchman.com/comment/letters/article_428bd05f-cd63-536c-bd3d-38b4aef687b9.html

BBM

http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/local/2015/12/11/ex-pike-county-deputy-under-scrutiny.html

http://www.chillicothegazette.com/s...-claim-harassment-county-prosecutor/26546539/

Supposedly DeWine is in charge, but he's MIA. Time to bring in FBI, US Marshals, DEA whomever else it takes to get this investigation moving again. Enough sand bagging.

:furious: They really need to send Junk to the junkyard. He reminds me of one of those guys with "Big Fish in A Little Pond" syndrome.

I've decided to re-read MSM news articles starting from last April. I'm hoping to see something I missed. Maybe I will see the events from a new perspective, a new clue or connection, etc.

I wanted to re-post this article from 4/25/16. There were 7 questions about 7 mysteries from the Pike County massacre. (My first time posting a link so I hope it works. You may need to copy/paste into browser.)

http://www.wcpo.com/news/crime/rhod...ate-7-mysteries-from-the-pike-county-killings

I found it amazing that almost a year later, we're STILL trying to answer these SAME 7 things. If my link works and you have time, check it out. Please let me know if I'm missing something.

I've decided to re-read MSM news articles starting from last April. I'm hoping to see something I missed. Maybe I will see the events from a new perspective, a new clue or connection, etc.

I wanted to re-post this article from 4/25/16. There were 7 questions about 7 mysteries from the Pike County massacre. (My first time posting a link so I hope it works. You may need to copy/paste into browser.)

http://www.wcpo.com/news/crime/rhod...ate-7-mysteries-from-the-pike-county-killings

I found it amazing that almost a year later, we're STILL trying to answer these SAME 7 things. If my link works and you have time, check it out. Please let me know if I'm missing something.

Well we already know that the "size" of the grow-ops and number of sites were not what we were told in the beginning. Why? No updates in months, and no News stations except for Channel 19, Why? With so many inconsistances in what "is" reported, you'd think that "the powers that be" would understand why a lot of the public is getting very frustrated with the way this case is going. I don't like being in the dark about a killer/killers running around loose around my area. It scares me and makes me very uneasy to know that murderers went to 4 different homes and slaughtered 8 people and it "seems" nothing is being done. It's like getting a report that a tornado has been sited near your home and there were some casualties, but "hey guys" you get to "guess" if it's going to touch down on you and wipe you out. Have a nice day! All this is just my opinion. It is very hard to trust things are being taken care of , when you see no proof of it.

https://youtu.be/8WIuweQ5DXM
https://youtu.be/fqzNH4pxOpQ

I think they are all connected newsome too. Probably at least one ex military possibly a user or dealer. To uncommon of a style killing for regular crime, all congested in a small area. Rhodens is still odd because they went to 4 locations. Either there was stuff everywhere or not where it was supposed to be and/or they could implicate the killers. 2 of 3 are confirmed pill involvement. Rhodens Gary was confirmed to be involved previously. I think it's all over pills.

https://youtu.be/8WIuweQ5DXM
https://youtu.be/fqzNH4pxOpQ

I think they are all connected newsome too. Probably at least one ex military possibly a user or dealer. To uncommon of a style killing for regular crime, all congested in a small area. Rhodens is still odd because they went to 4 locations. Either there was stuff everywhere or not where it was supposed to be and/or they could implicate the killers. 2 of 3 are confirmed pill involvement. Rhodens Gary was confirmed to be involved previously. I think it's all over pills.

This is my main theory too. I think someone is going around the area robbing and executing drug dealers. I'll bet they'll strike again too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member