OH - Pike County: 8 people from one family dead as police hunt for killer(s) - #27

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can you find a link to it? Would really appreciate it.

Just a friendly reminder as the news has picked up on this case, please help out by posting links to news stories, video, etc. in the Media & Timelines thread for the Rhoden family.

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/fo...s-In-The-News-Time-Line-Media-Reference-Forum

It gets pretty busy during times like these and sometimes our members here find unique or special media links. Please post there if you can so we can go back and review them when needed. :tyou: :loveyou:

ETA: It's also ok to post links to court docs, etc. We have some there from the news media lawsuits re the autopsies.

To those of you who are new here, the Media & Timeline threads can be very helpful over time. Many regulars here have followed cases that went on for many years. It's always great to go back and refer to news stories, interviews that you've forgotten about. Sometimes an article and interview that didn't seem significant at the time can become important later. :lookingitup: :findinglink:

My recollection on it being an audio interview may have been wrong. I am finding this interview:

http://www.wfaa.com/news/nation-now/ohio-massacre-i-was-not-leaving-those-babies-in-there_/187090211

The site is acting wonky for me and I cannot go backwards to see the person who originally posted this link (also posted in the Media & Timeline thread per Betty P's thoughtful request), but I found the information regarding the GPS tracking device very interesting. :tyou:

Bill Gallagher, a criminal defense lawyer in Cincinnati, said he was surprised that agents gave the copy of the warrant to the*family this week, as Ohio law does not require them to do so in surveillance cases. Federal law, however, does require such notice after a device has been removed.

"Your state government may be surveilling you and you may never know it,'' said Gallagher. "If it is never used in court you would never know it."

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/new...ng-pike-county-massacre-case-court/101773632/

Gallagher says it seems like "overreach" to him regarding the charges against JM. JMO, but I agree with him, and he, Gallagher, argued the first GPS tracker in the state of Ohio.

He was also surprised (me too) that LM was given a copy of the warrant as Ohio does not require that to be done. Federal law requires that a notice be given after the device is removed.

Former prosecutor, Mike Allen, related that the use of GPS tracking devices by investigators are common in drug cases.

This raises my suspicion regarding the drug aspect of this case. If BJM helped take care of the animals, was there also someone else who helped tend to the MJ grows ? Does the LM family deny any connection to the MJ? Also, has anyone ever heard of a MJ grow being done in a trailer (horse)?

I sure hope we don't have to wait another year in this case for more information. If JM is looking at possibly 4 years in prison maybe he will start talking. It's hard to imagine LM and family having to live right there so close to where 7 adults and 1 child were murdered. I don't think I would sleep at all. . .

The site is acting wonky for me and I cannot go backwards to see the person who originally posted this link (also posted in the Media & Timeline thread per Betty P's thoughtful request), but I found the information regarding the GPS tracking device very interesting. :tyou:

Bill Gallagher, a criminal defense lawyer in Cincinnati, said he was surprised that agents gave the copy of the warrant to the*family this week, as Ohio law does not require them to do so in surveillance cases. Federal law, however, does require such notice after a device has been removed.

"Your state government may be surveilling you and you may never know it,'' said Gallagher. "If it is never used in court you would never know it."

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/new...ng-pike-county-massacre-case-court/101773632/

Gallagher says it seems like "overreach" to him regarding the charges against JM. JMO, but I agree with him, and he, Gallagher, argued the first GPS tracker in the state of Ohio.

He was also surprised (me too) that LM was given a copy of the warrant as Ohio does not require that to be done. Federal law requires that a notice be given after the device is removed.

Former prosecutor, Mike Allen, related that the use of GPS tracking devices by investigators are common in drug cases.

This raises my suspicion regarding the drug aspect of this case. If BJM helped take care of the animals, was there also someone else who helped tend to the MJ grows ? Does the LM family deny any connection to the MJ? Also, has anyone ever heard of a MJ grow being done in a trailer (horse)?

I sure hope we don't have to wait another year in this case for more information. If JM is looking at possibly 4 years in prison maybe he will start talking. It's hard to imagine LM and family having to live right there so close to where 7 adults and 1 child were murdered. I don't think I would sleep at all. . .

Thanks! Interesting article and comments by the attorneys.

It seems like this investigation is still looking at the drug angle. Recall, Sheriff Reader mentioned that the US 23 Drug Pipeline Task Force was involved in the raid & search at the Wagner properties. They've been active for years investigating drug activity along the US 23 corridor.

ETA: Not sure if JM is involved in drug dealing per se, but they apparently believe those who killed the Rhodens may be involved in the trade.

Why do they appear to be so poor if they are involved in dealing drugs?

Different priorities IMO. I don't think they were concerned if others thought they looked poor. Not everyone is, especially in Southern Ohio.

That's one of the things I love about it.

This is pretty irrelevant for the most part but I keep seeing in mentioned so I figure I'll give my 2 cents.. in my opinion.. the Rhodens/Manleys are in no way, shape or form wealthy. I even read someone refer to them as a prominent family in Pike county? No way. You couldn't pay me enough to believe that. Not sure how everyone thinks they were/are living but I'm pretty sure they were/are the opposite of wealthy.
And I guess one could argue they didn't want to flash their money around but I don't buy that either. They lived in trailers.. not even new ones.. they drove old cars... Buying a nice house and newer car would not be flashy or make anyone suspicious so why live like that if they had so much money? I probably sound harsh but let's not make them into something they aren't.

I've lived here my whole life and people usually don't choose to live poor if they have other options.

I think KR was killed because the killers are cowards. I mean that literally. If they left him alive he would have came after them and they couldn't deal with him.

The other R's (Tony ect) doesn't strike me as being as physically aggressive as KR and CR1. The M's they may have thought could be bought off. But KR was a problem so he had to go, maybe with not as much viciousness and hatred as the others, but go nonetheless.

I think this was a case of two families being out of their league but forced together by the birth of a child.

The W's because they couldn't handle the street fighter aggression of the R's with their own show of physical strength.

The R's because they were good ole boys who would give you the shirt off their backs and had no idea the lengths some people would go for money.

This is pretty irrelevant for the most part but I keep seeing in mentioned so I figure I'll give my 2 cents.. in my opinion.. the Rhodens/Manleys are in no way, shape or form wealthy. I even read someone refer to them as a prominent family in Pike county? No way. You couldn't pay me enough to believe that. Not sure how everyone thinks they were/are living but I'm pretty sure they were/are the opposite of wealthy.
And I guess one could argue they didn't want to flash their money around but I don't buy that either. They lived in trailers.. not even new ones.. they drove old cars... Buying a nice house and newer car would not be flashy or make anyone suspicious so why live like that if they had so much money? I probably sound harsh but let's not make them into something they weren't.

I've lived here my whole life and people usually don't choose to live poor if they have other options.

Don't think they were dirt poor either. It's more of comfortable and not flashy. Husbands family has money and you wouldn't know it ( I didn't have a clue married a couple years before the talk of money came up).
Husband lived in a double wide his family lived in a an old farm house.. by choice not by all they coulda afford.

[emoji237]Always My Own Opinion[emoji4]

And I guess one could argue they didn't want to flash their money around but I don't buy that either. They lived in trailers.. not even new ones.. they drove old cars... Buying a nice house and newer car would not be flashy or make anyone suspicious so why live like that if they had so much money? I probably sound harsh but let's not make them into something they weren't.

if you have lived there your whole life, then you know there is way more than meets the eye when you are talking about wealth and country folk. i am not saying they have wealth. but people would be very surprised how much money some people written off as hillbillies may have. simple. frugal.

That didn't answer my question. If, they were into dealing, they would not be so poor. I think if they were dealing, it has to be really small stuff

That didn't answer my question. If, they were into dealing, they would not be so poor. I think if they were dealing, it has to be really small stuff

We are saying maybe they aren't poor it's your perception!

IMO, there's been a lot going around in that Co for a long, long, time. I read somewhere that the W's were connected to P&G in Cincinnati? They had a barn fire that killed some of those beautiful horses a few years back.
Influencial (SP)/Wealthy family.
Drugs/dealers
Cars/New/Used?
Murders
Hmmmm.... sure does sound like something big!

I'm dying to know what this supposed P&G connection is...half of Southwestern Ohio is connected to P&G in someway. Have more details?

I think KR was killed because the killers are cowards. I mean that literally. If they left him alive he would have came after them and they couldn't deal with him.

The other R's (Tony ect) doesn't strike me as being as physically aggressive as KR and CR1. The M's they may have thought could be bought off. But KR was a problem so he had to go, maybe with not as much viciousness and hatred as the others, but go nonetheless.

I think this was a case of two families being out of their league but forced together by the birth of a child.

The W's because they couldn't handle the street fighter aggression of the R's with their own show of physical strength.

The R's because they were good ole boys who would give you the shirt off their backs and had no idea the lengths some people would go for money.

Or to get S away from them

We are saying maybe they aren't poor it's your perception!

Not having $8,000 on hand for bail money, sounds poor to me and I am not rich.

Count me amongst the poor if that is the standard. :)

I just read a piece Chris Graves had written about the Rhoden family a little while after the murders. It sounds as if the Rhoden's have been cash poor for generations. The whole area, really. Growing up they had to scrape to survive.
However, CR did just buy the trailer on 6 acres for DR. So, it does seem, as somebody has already said, priorities are different. I understand what you are saying though. I may not be able to drop down cash for a new double wide but I can afford a can of paint and some mulch. You see? Just different.

Even larger scale dealers in southern Ohio wouldn't be flashing money around. You don't see new Escalades traveling up and down US Route 23.

In a poorer area buying a brand new doublewide or expensive vehicles attracts unwanted attention, both from envious poor folks and the law.

Thanks! Interesting article and comments by the attorneys.

It seems like this investigation is still looking at the drug angle. Recall, Sheriff Reader mentioned that the US 23 Drug Pipeline Task Force was involved in the raid & search at the Wagner properties. They've been active for years investigating drug activity along the US 23 corridor.

ETA: Not sure if JM is involved in drug dealing per se, but they apparently believe those who killed the Rhodens may be involved in the trade.

It very well may be that this case has provided a lot of intel to LE concerning drug trafficking in the area and they are exploiting every bit of it. Much of the drug angle that seems to have been a focus throughout the case may be unrelated to the murders themselves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well I don't have it "on hand" but a trip to the bank and I could get it ...and I'm not rich by any standard. But I'm betting they had money at their houses and not in banks.
Btw we are talking Manleys with the bail money and Rhodens with the life style ...2 different families! Joined only by marriage.

I have been told Mrs. W is an heir to P&G.
Is Mrs W EXTREMELY well educated and pro-abortion? If not, she's not an heir of Dr. Clarence Gamble. His children attended universities such as Radcliffe and Princeton and are very strong social activists promoting women's reproductive options.

Four years in prison for destroying a $350 gps tracker? I may grab my suitcase and go to Ohio to stand outside the courthouse to protest!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
julandken