OH - Pike County: 8 People From One Family Dead As Police Hunt For Killer(s) #34 *Arrests*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rhoden family massacre: Autopsy reports show defensive wounds on family patriarch

Which door was he shot through? His bedroom door? A back door?
I’ve seen family state bedroom door, but that’s just my opinion. I don’t think it was the front door because BJM never mentioned that and walked right on in the house not suspecting anything. I would tend to think if there was bullet holes or a bullet hole in the door, she would’ve stopped and said hmmm. But who knows. I’m often wrong and could be again.

Why would Chris’ be more decomposed than the rest? Was he dead hours before the others? If so, IMO that leads back to GR being involved.

Also, another article stated Chris most likely saw his killer approaching his home.

There was no forced entry from what we’ve been told.

That leads me to believe that Chris and all the victims knew their killer extremely well and trusted them.

IMO, Chris let his killer in. Chris then went to his bedroom, maybe to retrieve whatever this person stopped by for. Chris shut the bedroom door behind him when he went in the room and the killer snuck up outside the door waiting to hear Chris about to exit the bedroom, shooting him through the door. That would be how Chris was unable to get to his gun and defend himself. He literally never saw the first shot coming and trusted whoever pulled the trigger.

JMHO.

I’ve seen family state bedroom door, but that’s just my opinion. I don’t think it was the front door because BJM never mentioned that and walked right on in the house not suspecting anything. I would tend to think if there was bullet holes or a bullet hole in the door, she would’ve stopped and said hmmm. But who knows. I’m often wrong and could be again.

Why would Chris’ be more decomposed than the rest? Was he dead hours before the others? If so, IMO that leads back to GR being involved.

Also, another article stated Chris most likely saw his killer approaching his home.

There was no forced entry from what we’ve been told.

That leads me to believe that Chris and all the victims knew their killer extremely well and trusted them.

IMO, Chris let his killer in. Chris then went to his bedroom, maybe to retrieve whatever this person stopped by for. Chris shut the bedroom door behind him when he went in the room and the killer snuck up outside the door waiting to hear Chris about to exit the bedroom, shooting him through the door. That would be how Chris was unable to get to his gun and defend himself. He literally never saw the first shot coming and trusted whoever pulled the trigger.

JMHO.

Sounds logical they would wait until he went in the other room and closed the door. He was apparently able to continue fighting back as he wouldn't have had a defensive wound if he didn't see a shot coming. Perhaps Gary wasn't there at the moment, so they killed CR1 and locked him in the room until Gary came home.

No defensive wounds on the others, including Gary. If they shot CR1 first (more decomp), you would think that would rouse Gary to defend himself if he was there. The alternative is that someone else in the front room with Gary temporarily incapacitated him until CR1 was shot, then killed Gary.

Recall BJM said there's blood all over the house and it was assumed Gary shot in the living room.

Anyone coming in the trailer would have awoken Gary, esp if CR1 was talking to them.

So at least 2 people who worked very fast. No defensive wounds on GR and all shots to the head. How did he not fight back when hearing CR1 get shot multiple times?

I wondered if GR was not there when CR1 was killed, returned later and killers were laying in wait for him, but I don't know.

Did the removal of GR to the back bedroom with CR1 mean they waited to ambush someone else, but gave up?

JMO, I still believe these were very experienced, professional killers who knew exactly what they were doing and had planned it out carefully.

Christopher Rhoden, Sr.
  • Shot 9 times
  • Defensive wound - shot in forearm
  • Shot through a door
  • More advanced state of decomp, so probably first killed
Gary Rhoden
  • Shot 3 times in the head
Frankie Rhoden
Hannah Gilley
  • Shot 5 times in the face and head
Kenneth Rhoden
  • Shot once through the eye
Dana Manley Rhoden
  • Shot 5 times total, of those 4 in the head
Christopher Rhoden, Jr
  • Shot 4 times in the head, 2 of those in the top of the head
Hanna Rhoden
  • Shot 2 times in the head
RIP to all of them. These were such cruel and brutal deaths. I hope their families find justice some day. Sympathies also to their friends and family who have to relive these deaths again as they read details in the news media.

As much as we dislike having to go over these details, JMO, it helps advocate for the fair and accurate resolution of these horrible crimes.

Family members and friends, you have all our love and support.

Rhoden family massacre: Autopsy reports show defensive wounds on family patriarch

Rhoden massacre: Autopsy reveals gruesome details in slayings of 8 family members

Last edited:
Dayton Daily News:
Pike County killings: Autopsy records show Rhoden shot through door

But on Wednesday, the court considered a new question: “not whether the preliminary autopsy reports are public records (they are not), but whether journalists are entitled to see them nonetheless.”

Yes, the court ruled, “the coroner shall grant a journalist’s proper request to review preliminary autopsy and investigative notes made by the coroner.”

Columbus Dispatch

Ohio Supreme Court allows newspapers to review Rhoden family preliminary autopsy reports - News - The Columbus Dispatch - Columbus, OH

Multiple investigators had previously told The Dispatch that their belief was that Rhoden, who was killed in his own home, was awake the night of the shootings and had seen his killers approaching.

The preliminary autopsy reports show that Chris Sr. had been shot nine times all over his body. Everyone else was shot in the head. Dana had been shot five times; Chris Jr., was shot four times; Gary was shot three times, and his report indicated that it was with a “large-caliber” gun; Hannah Gilley was shot five times; Hanna Rhoden was shot twice; Frankie, three times; and Kenneth was shot once, in the right eye.

Last edited:
I still don’t understand how 8 family members can be killed and LE still don’t have a suspect 2 yrs later. A lot of mistakes are made in any murder, but 8 ppl and two different locations? Just makes you wonder how well investigators did, especially in the very beginning....moo. Still think it was probably somebody very close to the family. Or somebody they dealt with often moo

Well, very quiet in here after this big news. I guess everyone has gone off to the unmoderated forums on social media to discuss the developments. I like sticking here with Websleuths, though. The moderation is good and the information is fact based.

So, if LE believes that CR1 saw his killers approaching and let them in his trailer, he must have been familiar with them.

I'm assuming the weapons they carried most likely were handguns that they concealed. I can't imagine CR1 would let them in if they were carrying long guns or assault weapons. We've discussed whether the same or a different team went next door to kill FR and HG, considering they were close enough to CR1s trailer that they may have heard the multiple gunshots. At least 12 shots were fired at CR1's place.

Anyone find anything in the news coverage to indicate whether silencers were used?

Sounds logical they would wait until he went in the other room and closed the door. He was apparently able to continue fighting back as he wouldn't have had a defensive wound if he didn't see a shot coming. Perhaps Gary wasn't there at the moment, so they killed CR1 and locked him in the room until Gary came home.

No defensive wounds on the others, including Gary. If they shot CR1 first (more decomp), you would think that would rouse Gary to defend himself if he was there. The alternative is that someone else in the front room with Gary temporarily incapacitated him until CR1 was shot, then killed Gary.

Recall BJM said there's blood all over the house and it was assumed Gary shot in the living room.

Anyone coming in the trailer would have awoken Gary, esp if CR1 was talking to them.

So at least 2 people who worked very fast. No defensive wounds on GR and all shots to the head. How did he not fight back when hearing CR1 get shot multiple times?

I wondered if GR was not there when CR1 was killed, returned later and killers were laying in wait for him, but I don't know.

Did the removal of GR to the back bedroom with CR1 mean they waited to ambush someone else, but gave up?

JMO, I still believe these were very experienced, professional killers who knew exactly what they were doing and had planned it out carefully.
If Chris saw them arrive like the article stated (paraphrasing) he had to trust them enough to let them in the door.

What kind of professional, experienced killer would Chris Sr know well enough that he trusted them ?

Examples-LE, former military, someone in the “business”

Those are just examples, not fact. Something had to make him trust who he let in the door-whether it was a family member, a very close business associate, a long time friend, rogue LE, I don’t know but I feel like they’d have to fall in one of those categories. He wouldn’t have let an unknown hired hitman in his home.

I still don’t understand how 8 family members can be killed and LE still don’t have a suspect 2 yrs later. A lot of mistakes are made in any murder, but 8 ppl and two different locations? Just makes you wonder how well investigators did, especially in the very beginning....moo. Still think it was probably somebody very close to the family. Or somebody they dealt with often moo

I still think someone they knew was the person who was let in the homes and helped the killers get in. They may not have known all the killers, but it's possible.

If Chris saw them arrive like the article stated (paraphrasing) he had to trust them enough to let them in the door.

What kind of professional, experienced killer would Chris Sr know well enough that he trusted them ?

Examples-LE, former military, someone in the “business”

Those are just examples, not fact. Something had to make him trust who he let in the door-whether it was a family member, a very close business associate, a long time friend, rogue LE, I don’t know but I feel like they’d have to fall in one of those categories. He wouldn’t have let an unknown hired hitman in his home.

Per my post above, it's possible CR1 thought he was letting in someone he knew, but once the door was unlocked, the other killers came in. Same technique at the other homes. Could have also been rogue LE, we've considered that all along.

I'm also wondering why CR1 was in the bedroom with the door closed. Logical answer is that he went there to get drugs or money out of his safekeeping area and the killers followed and shot through the door. Could it also be that he was trying to escape? Run to room, close the door, try to climb out the window? Probably not, but I'm still trying to figure out the open window on that trailer

CR1 and KR, IMO, were the riskiest victims to attack, the most likely to put up a big fight and potentially derail the plan.

I'd like to see more about how they got into the other homes, particularly Frankie's. In their report, is quoted as saying it looked like the others were shot in their sleep. There had to be some kind of B & E at those locations, or victims would not have been asleep.

WCPO

Pike County massacre: Rhoden family members shot in head at point-blank range, report shows

A few inconsistencies in the mass killings were pointed out in the reports:

• Although officials had said all the victims were shot in their sleep, the way his head was tilted indicates that Christopher Rhoden Sr. was shot through a door. He also may have been shot first as his body was the most decomposed when it was discovered by the coroner's office.
  • Larger caliber bullets were used to kill 37-year-old Gary Rhoden.
  • Kenneth Rhoden was shot in his right eye only.

Trying to figure out what is meant by the tilt of CR1's head indicating he was shot through the door?

As we knew from info about different types of shells (from Gary's father) at his death scene, there was likely more than one shooter at CR1's. Probably the same for other locations. It's not like a bigger weapon would be needed to kill GR, but that particular killer felt the need to carry a larger weapon. Were these handguns they hid on their persons or were they hiding in the shadows with bigger weapons. JMO, the latter is possible because don't you need a larger weapon if you're using night vision or laser scopes? I'm not an expert on guns so maybe someone else can weigh in.

This is nightmare fuel, again. I hope families aren't reading these details for the first time and I hate they have to relive it. IIRC, Pike County Coroner, in his deposition, said he didn't give the family copies of the preliminary AR, but only described certain details. It's possible some family members requested to read them later.

Article says Frankie and Gary both had "contact wounds", meaning someone put the gun to their heads. Were they surprised in their sleep? We know FR was laying in bed with HG and the baby. If he was asleep when shot, it would take some serious ninja skills and training to sneak into his locked trailer, past his son in the living room and into his bedroom to shoot him in his sleep. They would have to do that because FR probably slept with a gun at bedside.

Who did these murders? JMO, these weren't some locals whose experience came from hunting or target practice out in the field.

Last edited:
Also this, from the WCPO link above:

Reporters began inspecting the single-page reports Wednesday following an Ohio Supreme Court decision allowing journalists to view the preliminary results. Reporters were not allowed to copy documents or photos or even take notes.

Reporters have to look at the AR's and investigation notes and memorize what they're reading. No photos of docs, no note taking. Props to them.

"This is a case that is now over two years old, unsolved, and I think the investigators deserve to be scrutinized," said the Enquirer's lawyer, Jack Greiner, an expert in public records law.

Thank you for saying that Mr. Greiner. I agree.

Christopher Rhoden, Sr.
  • Shot 9 times
  • Defensive wound - shot in forearm
  • Shot through a door
  • More advanced state of decomp, so probably first killed
Gary Rhoden
Frankie Rhoden
Hannah Gilley
  • Shot 5 times in the face and head
Kenneth Rhoden
  • Shot once through the eye
Dana Manley Rhoden
  • Shot 5 times total, of those 4 in the head
Christopher Rhoden, Jr
  • Shot 4 times in the head, 2 of those in the top of the head
Hanna Rhoden
  • Shot 2 times in the head
RIP to all of them. These were such cruel and brutal deaths. I hope their families find justice some day. Sympathies also to their friends and family who have to relive these deaths again as they read details in the news media.

As much as we dislike having to go over these details, JMO, it helps advocate for the fair and accurate resolution of these horrible crimes.

Family members and friends, you have all our love and support.

Rhoden massacre: Autopsy reveals gruesome details in slayings of 8 family members
I just have no words. No one deserved this. I feel physically nauseous when imagining the horror these 8 VICTIMS felt in their last moments. In the safety of their own homes, a monster stole the dreams and futures of 8 people and further forever impacted innocent children, family, friends and loved ones.

I pray Justice is served, although I don’t think there’s enough punishment out there for the evil acts that were committed upon the victims. Whatever justice may come-and it will come in some form or another-I pray peace is brought to all who loved Chris, Dana, Frankie. Hannah, Hanna, Lil Chris, Kenny, and Gary.

My heart is always heavy when it comes to this case, but even more so tonight after today’s autopsy releases. Godspeed.

WCPO

Pike County massacre: Rhoden family members shot in head at point-blank range, report shows

Trying to figure out what is meant by the tilt of CR1's head indicating he was shot through the door?

As we knew from info about different types of shells (from Gary's father) at his death scene, there was likely more than one shooter at CR1's. Probably the same for other locations. It's not like a bigger weapon would be needed to kill GR, but that particular killer felt the need to carry a larger weapon. Were these handguns they hid on their persons or were they hiding in the shadows with bigger weapons. JMO, the latter is possible because don't you need a larger weapon if you're using night vision or laser scopes? I'm not an expert on guns so maybe someone else can weigh in.

This is nightmare fuel, again. I hope families aren't reading these details for the first time and I hate they have to relive it. IIRC, Pike County Coroner, in his deposition, said he didn't give the family copies of the preliminary AR, but only described certain details. It's possible some family members requested to read them later.

Article says Frankie and Gary both had "contact wounds", meaning someone put the gun to their heads. Were they surprised in their sleep? We know FR was laying in bed with HG and the baby. If he was asleep when shot, it would take some serious ninja skills and training to sneak into his locked trailer, past his son in the living room and into his bedroom to shoot him in his sleep. They would have to do that because FR probably slept with a gun at bedside.

Who did these murders? JMO, these weren't some locals whose experience came from hunting or target practice out in the field.
IMO, all the homes were most likely unlocked as it was a common occurrence for family and friends to be in and out.

When it comes to Kenny-he had to let his killer in. Being in a tiny camper with his guard dog Brownie, there’s no way someone could sneak in unnoticed and a) not get attacked by the dog b) not wake him if he was sleeping. The odds of that happening are slim to none. Unless he was drugged, but still, someone would have had to have been there to drug him. Whoever was at Kenny’s had enough of Kenny’s trust that he didn’t see it coming either. His daughter has previously said he kept a gun by the head of his bed. Had Kenny heard someone coming in or the dog barking and freaking out, I tend to believe he would have been aiming his own gun to protect himself.

This family knows the person(s) who killed them. I have zero doubts and JMO.

Pros would have used a .22 cal rimfire.........Not as much power,not as much noise.......Very hard to trace.........It's not how many times you hit them,it's where you hit them...........Pros wouldn't have been this sloppy !!
I agree with you on the sloppiness. It’s very sloppy. Right now the killer (s) has luck on their side and luck runs out. Pros would not have fired so many shots. Nor would they have locked doors or moved a body from a living room to a bedroom.

Pros do one thing-they arrive, they kill, they leave, usually never to be seen again. And they come prepared with a gun that will destroy a target with one shot. Not 9, 5, 4, or 3 shots. They’re don’t care about locking doors behind them or opening windows or moving bodies. Whoever did this was comfortable in those homes and did things like lock doors on purpose to delay the victims being found. JMO.

Whoever killed them may be a professional criminal, but a professional hit man they are not.

How many fund raising events did RW have for his friend and employee or the family members that he knew for decades?
I remember some of the family wanting to have a fundraiser for the Rhodens at Big Bear , because not only CR1 worked there, his kids, brothers, the kids friends, etc. I think a lot of the Pike Co community worked there. The idea was vetoed by Weddell for whatever reasons and the family was very upset by that decision
I read that somewhere early on and it upset to. Seems the Rhoden Family felt at home there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Momma T