Identified! OH - Sandusky, Lake Erie, Wht/Fem 25-40, UP76029, Sz 12 beige cocktail party dress, Mar'80 - Patricia Eleanor Greenwood

Melt71

Reaction score
www.namus.gov/UnidentifiedPersons/Case#/76029

Case Numbers ME/C Case NumberI-338-20
Demographics
Sex Female
Race / Ethnicity White / Caucasian
Estimated Age Group Adult - Pre 40
Estimated Age Range (Years) 25-40
Height 5' 7"(67 inches) , Measured
Weight 130 lbs, Measured
Circumstances
Type Unidentified Deceased
Date Body Found March 30, 1980
NamUs Case Created November 30, 2020
Location Found Map
Location Sandusky, Ohio 44870
County Erie County
GPS Coordinates (Not Mapped)--
Found On Tribal Land Unknown
Circumstances of Recovery On March 30, 1980, a badly decomposed female was located on the shores of Lake Erie near Cedar Point.
Details of Recovery
Inventory of Remains All parts recovered
Condition of RemainsNot recognizable - Decomposing/putrefaction
Clothing and Accessories
Accessories - Nylon pantyhose - On the Body
Clothing - Beige cocktail party dress - On the Body
Clothing - White lace slip - On the Body

WNkhLPvxhiM7wxk6eCnVYb.jpg

Current patterns of the great lakes.
(Via https://www.livescience.com/23681-great-lakes-current-map.html)

And thanks to the person posting the same time as me, the water does flow to the west, sat least I think so.

Sandusky is right about at the red dot, so I think it's possible that this woman could be Canadian.

ah interesting thought! I didn’t read the Namus report as if she’d been in the water, just that she was on the shore. I was thinking it would be a omeone who went out to a club or function (thus the dress) and either met foul play and was dumped (so no shoes, purse etc). Or perhaps imbibed a bit too much and wandered down there without her things and lay down for a little drunken nap and froze there, not being found until warmer weather (explaining the decomp).
I think LE should update Namus to make it clearer.

That is a fancy slip. That is similar to the one my mom had for her honeymoon in the late 50’s. I had it later and wore it up until the 80’s. That thing was like iron. The cheaper ones were one piece with seams on the sides and maybe adjustable straps. The fancy lace and seaming makes me think this is a higher end slip. I wish they hung the dress properly as you can’t tell if the back is actually longer than the front, which was in style for a while... it looks like a dress for dancing? Lots of flounce?

Sandusky Police looking for help in Erie County Jane Doe case

MJE-L-ERIECOUNTYJANEDOE-1209-01.jpg

Sandusky police are hopeful for a break in a cold case of an unidentified woman whose body washed up on the shores of Lake Erie 41 years ago.

A Sandusky police detective heard about an organization that helps with the cost of genetic testing and looked into it, according to Sandusky police Lt. Scott Dahlgren.

The Porchlight Project, a nonprofit, offers funding for DNA testing and genetic genealogy for Ohio cold cases, according to the organization.

“It’s kind of a big deal for us, because BCI (Bureau of Criminal Investigation) can only do so much,” Dahlgren said.
---
The woman, referred to as “Jane Doe” by authorities, is believed to have been between 20 and 30 years old when she died.

She was wearing a size 12 formal gown described as a “disco style” dress, according to a news release from Sandusky police.

Her partially decomposed body was discovered March 30, 1980, on the beach near Cedar Point Road in Sandusky, the release stated.

Authorities determined the woman was Caucasian and estimated to be about 5’5″ tall and weighed 120 pounds.

By the time the woman’s body was discovered, investigators found no hair, scars, jewelry or identifying items on her.

Sandusky Police looking for help in Erie County Jane Doe case

[QUOTE="Al Ka, post: 17338946, member: 136961"
Sandusky police are hopeful for a break in a cold case of an unidentified woman whose body washed up on the shores of Lake Erie 41 years ago.[/QUOTE]

aha so despite the Namus case being less than clear, she was in the water. I noted back in my January post, Namus reads as though she was on the shore but not that she had necessarily been in the water. Glad she will have her name restored in 2022.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ignoreme123
Back