GUILTY OH - Sheriff Charles Reader, charged with theft in office, Pike Co, 29 Jun 2019

Tampering with evidence= Up to 3 years max per count.

Theft in office= 9 months up to 3 years per count.

#I Still Stand 4 Charlie!

It sucks to see a seemingly likeable guy fall. Good luck Charlie. Do better next time around. Disappointed for sure but hey, chit happens. This was not good CR. Darn.

IMHO if the Rhoden family murders hadn't happened, Reader would still be sheriff and no charges would have been filed. Maybe he'd have managed without breaking any laws? Curious what others think.

ETA: Also curious if the W's defense will be successful using Reader's arrest to create reasonable doubt in that case? Are there other cases which will be affected?

Last edited:
My heart goes out to Mr. Reader. I'm not from there, don't know him, but have followed the Rhoden case since it broke. There are reasons things happen, they are not excuses. I'm not excusing him. But when I look at what he saw, just with the Rhoden case I wonder if things could have been different with some counseling. First responders have a burden that regular people don't always understand. It is easy to say that if you can't handle the heat, stay out of the kitchen, but sometimes unimaginable heat comes on you before you see it. Who could have imagined the awfulness that awaited those first responders that day? Who/what was in place to help them?

Perhaps his breaking the law came from trying to get a few minutes of peace while gambling, I don't know. Perhaps that over came him. I do think him pleading guilty is a step in getting the help he needs, whatever that may be. I hope for the best for him. I still think he was a good man in a horrible situation. Hope the rest of his life can make a difference in a community I think he loves.

All this is my opinion only. Peace and healing to everyone touched by this awful murder.

IMHO if the Rhoden family murders hadn't happened, Reader would still be sheriff and no charges would have been filed. Maybe he'd have managed without breaking any laws? Curious what others think.

ETA: Also curious if the W's defense will be successful using Reader's arrest to create reasonable doubt in that case? Are there other cases which will be affected?
Yep reader should blame his gambling addiction on the murders. Saying how the ptsd changed him and caused him to go off the rails so to speak

My heart goes out to Mr. Reader. I'm not from there, don't know him, but have followed the Rhoden case since it broke. There are reasons things happen, they are not excuses. I'm not excusing him. But when I look at what he saw, just with the Rhoden case I wonder if things could have been different with some counseling. First responders have a burden that regular people don't always understand. It is easy to say that if you can't handle the heat, stay out of the kitchen, but sometimes unimaginable heat comes on you before you see it. Who could have imagined the awfulness that awaited those first responders that day? Who/what was in place to help them?

Perhaps his breaking the law came from trying to get a few minutes of peace while gambling, I don't know. Perhaps that over came him. I do think him pleading guilty is a step in getting the help he needs, whatever that may be. I hope for the best for him. I still think he was a good man in a horrible situation. Hope the rest of his life can make a difference in a community I think he loves.

All this is my opinion only. Peace and healing to everyone touched by this awful murder.

Thank you.

No, very unlikely they will have any success, though I'm sure they're desperate to try.

The Wagners attorneys have not submitted any evidence for discovery to the court. That means they have no evidence with which to defend themselves. No alibis, no friends to vouch for them, no proof they were elsewhere that night. No explanations for the weapons they brandished, the silencers they built and used for their weapons or the child custody documents they forged. No excuses for the victims' phones, social media accounts and security cams they hacked.

Nothing, nada, nil. All they can do is point the blame at other innocent people, including the sheriff they lied to for so many years.

Agree, well said. At the end of every day, in spite of all the agencies, experts and investigators working the murder cases, it was Sheriff Reader who was left to calm the fears and protect the citizens who had been terrorized by these murders. He had the responsibility of protecting everyone from a volatile group of killers still living among them. Reports from surviving family members of people lurking around their homes, on their property. You know some of the Wagners were probably out there, hiding in the bushes. How crazy that must have been to be interacting with these killers on a regular basis, not knowing if they were the same people who killed 8 people in cold blood.

It was up to Sheriff Reader to calm everyone and reassure them that they were doing the best they could to protect them from the killers. Terrible pressure on the sheriff. I hope he gets some counseling and support to help deal with it all. Ditto for the families and friends, too.

Jmo if there is any way at all for the defense in the Wagner trials to use this they will. I have seen it in many other trials. Sometimes it has worked and other times not. Jmo and if I was to believe a defense team wouldn’t try it then I believe I would just be in denial. Jmo I believe the defense will be combing through everything to try to find what they can call a dirty link to create benefit of doubt on anything jmo

Last edited:
Are you saying public employees are attacking Reader - to undermine the State's Case against the Wagners - because Reader was the lead Sheriff?

I don't think this is about undermining the Wagner Cases, I think it's about undermining Reader personally. Junk is the one who brought charges against Reader, Junk is biased against him, the 2 of them were fighting on SM.

If I'm wrong about who brought charges let me know.

Opinion only

Couldn't it be about both?

Last edited:
No, very unlikely they will have any success, though I'm sure they're desperate to try.

The Wagners attorneys have not submitted any evidence for discovery to the court. That means they have no evidence with which to defend themselves. No alibis, no friends to vouch for them, no proof they were elsewhere that night. No explanations for the weapons they brandished, the silencers they built and used for their weapons or the child custody documents they forged. No excuses for the victims' phones, social media accounts and security cams they hacked.

Nothing, nada, nil. All they can do is point the blame at other innocent people, including the sheriff they lied to for so many years.

Well said!!

When was he found guilty? TIA

Couldn't it be about both?
No. The written anonymous complaint about him has nothing to do with the
Rhoden/Gilley Case. If this was about how he conducted arrests and investigations then all the cases he investigated would have to be investigated over again.

No one says he hurt any cases and there is no justification for that, no proof, no charges reflecting that.

2 Cents

Last edited:
Jmo if there is any way at all for the defense in the Wagner trials to use this they will. I have seen it in many other trials. Sometimes it has worked and other times not. Jmo and if I was to believe a defense team wouldn’t try it then I believe I would just be in denial. Jmo I believe the defense will be combing through everything to try to find what they can call a dirty link to create benefit of doubt on anything jmo

Billy's attorneys are already using it ... from Billy's Bond Motion:

Since filing the demand for discovery, the case supervisor, Special Agent Trout, resigned from BCI and is currently being investigated for professional misconduct related - in part- to the investigation into the Rhoden family deaths.

The Sheriff of Pike County has been indicted on various charges and crimes of moral turpitude.

The trailer lot where the evidence in this case was held has been broken into and tampered with.

The police have executed an additional warrant as late as November 2019.

A co-defendant's case was dismissed.

Another co-defendant entered a guilty plea to a misdemeanor.

Review of the incomplete discovery reveals no connection between Mr Wagner and the Rhoden family's deaths.

https://www.scribd.com/document/465989463/Billy-Wagner-bond-request#from_embed

Billy's attorneys are already using it ... from Billy's Bond Motion:

Since filing the demand for discovery, the case supervisor, Special Agent Trout, resigned from BCI and is currently being investigated for professional misconduct related - in part- to the investigation into the Rhoden family deaths.

The Sheriff of Pike County has been indicted on various charges and crimes of moral turpitude.

The trailer lot where the evidence in this case was held has been broken into and tampered with.

The police have executed an additional warrant as late as November 2019.

A co-defendant's case was dismissed.

Another co-defendant entered a guilty plea to a misdemeanor.

Review of the incomplete discovery reveals no connection between Mr Wagner and the Rhoden family's deaths.

https://www.scribd.com/document/465989463/Billy-Wagner-bond-request#from_embed

Thank you for posting this! It Is the first time I have actually read reference to any DNA being found.

Thank you for posting this! It Is the first time I have actually read reference to any DNA being found.

The way it's worded:

"And even crime scene evidence with a previous law enforcement officers DNA on it"

Makes me think it's Trout's DNA because at that time he was the lead investigator and then he was terminated from that position at which time Scheiderer took his place sometime in 2017, I think Scheiderer said several months later.

These crime scene investigators wear gloves and shoe coverings and some were in hazmet type suits at Chris Sr's so it makes zero sense to me that an investigator leaves behind some of their DNA on an actual piece of crime scene evidence.

I think this Bond Motion is very interesting because it gives a small look into what the defense might bring up at trial in defending Billy.

1.) Trying to impeach some of the evidence that certain investigators were involved with.

2.) There are other suspects besides the Wagners.

3.) The Jury should be precluded from a walk through in the trailers or precluded from seeing current evidence in the trailers because that evidence has been compromised.

4.) The State can't prove the Wagners and Rhodens were not close friends.

5.) The State has no witnesses that can attest to seeing Billy commit the crimes.

6.) The State's evidence does not link Billy to the crimes.

7.) Billy cooperated with BCI during the investigation.

GW4's Defense:

Blame all of it on Jake and Angela. GW4 had no custody motive.

Opinion

Last edited:
The way it's worded:

"And even crime scene evidence with a previous law enforcement officers DNA on it"

Makes me think it's Trout's DNA because at that time he was the lead investigator and then he was terminated from that position at which time Scheiderer took his place sometime in 2017, I think Scheiderer said several months later.

These crime scene investigators wear gloves and shoe coverings and some were in hazmet type suits at Chris Sr's so it makes zero sense to me that an investigator leaves behind some of their DNA on an actual piece of crime scene evidence.

I think this Bond Motion is very interesting because it gives a small look into what the defense might bring up at trial in defending Billy.

1.) Trying to impeach some of the evidence that certain investigators were involved with.

2.) There are other suspects besides the Wagners.

3.) The Jury should be precluded from a walk through in the trailers or precluded from seeing current evidence in the trailers because that evidence has been compromised.

4.) The State can't prove the Wagners and Rhodens were not close friends.

5.) The State has no witnesses that can attest to seeing Billy commit the crimes.

6.) The State's evidence does not link Billy to the crimes.

7.) Billy cooperated with BCI during the investigation.

GW4's Defense:

Blame all of it on Jake and Angela. GW4 had no custody motive.

Opinion

Having been already named in the document it would seem they would use his name if it was his. Just an opinion which has me leading to it's not Readers or Trouts.

However, I feel the same in regard to the rest of your post.

It will be interesting to learn WHAT piece of evidence it was found on.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pabo1998
Back