OH - Three killed, 2 injured in neighborhood noise dispute, Cleveland, 3 July 2007

ziggy

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
CLEVELAND — A neighbor apparently angry about fireworks at a noisy Fourth of July party shot three people to death early Thursday and wounded two others, police said.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,288206,00.html

Wow. Last night we had to start our fireworks late because I was working and the kids wanted to wait for me to get home to light their booty of fireworks. Mr. zig kind of went into overkill on the amount of stuff they got. It took way too long to light them all and our neighbors were starting to get upset. Glad we didn't get shot!

Next year, we're limiting the amount and starting earlier. No more working on the 4th for me!

Having it in the middle of the week really sucked. People had to get up and go to work.

I heard LOUD fireworks outside our house at 4:00 a.m. We live across from a park and kids were out there having fun.

It doesn't bother me because I expect it and tolerate it - it's once a year...get over it.

I guess everyone isn't so easy going.

Another person of trust goes off the deep end. Sick SIck Sick.
And this really solved the problem didn't it? I don't get it. When
does taking a gun out and shooting at a group of people solve anything?
I am not anti gun, just anti idiots.

After coming online and reading today's additions to the crime forum and over the last several days, I'm beginning to think the world is going mad. There's some even more horrendous crimes than usual being reported.

After coming online and reading today's additions to the crime forum and over the last several days, I'm beginning to think the world is going mad. There's some even more horrendous crimes than usual being reported.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks so! It's interesting that we think the children that we're raising have all the "impulse control" problems...from what I've seen lately they're learning it directly from their elders. This world is beginning to scare me.:confused:

You know it is a shame when we read these horrible things, then we read a story about a Mom and three kids rolling into a pond and the thought that comes to you is the relief that "it was a tragic accident" and that "at least the children weren't killed by their parent or a pedophile or a kidnapper". you are so sad that this accident happened, but at least you can put your head around it a bit. These stories, such as this one just really make you wonder what is the human person capable of doing to others.
Hope I am making sense.

These neighbors have been fighting each other for quite a while. Hough and his wife called police many times with complaints about loud music etc. (Not excusing him, just a little background.)

My friend worked with him as a fireman and at another side job, and my friend is very upset about what happened, and surprised it was Hough. Some other firefighters have said Hough has a temper, but he hasn't heard that from everyone. His work record is spotless, although he had a DUI several years ago.

I heard that someone threw something (brick?) through a window of Hough's home after he asked them to stop the fireworks. I haven't heard that reported on any local news yet, but one video did show a broken window but I couldn't see which home it was at the time.

I didn't read the links above so I don't know if this was mentioned, but the mother of Jake Feichtner was killed about 10 yrs ago when someone threw a rock off an overpass which hit their car.
Link: http://www.usroads.com/journals/p/rilj/9710/ri971001.htm

:(

Yes, I agree txsvicki. The world seems to have gone mad. It's a very scary place.

Its horrible that repeated reports to the police didn't get these party people under control. I have tried to live in neighorhoods like that and it definitely pushes you to the breaking point. It affects you physically, especially the lack of sleep when you have a job to perform the next day. I know I don't want my doctor to show up for my surgery suffering from, "oh, my neighbor kept me up with his loud party last night".
I recently was putting up with the new flavor in Florida of the mexican families blaring their music and their trucks booming loudly. I had one of the biggest temper tantrums in my front yard on Easter, you could imagine. It stopped. The neighborhood has quieted down.
I am so sorry for all the people involved in this.

Its horrible that repeated reports to the police didn't get these party people under control. I have tried to live in neighorhoods like that and it definitely pushes you to the breaking point. It affects you physically, especially the lack of sleep when you have a job to perform the next day. I know I don't want my doctor to show up for my surgery suffering from, "oh, my neighbor kept me up with his loud party last night".
I recently was putting up with the new flavor in Florida of the mexican families blaring their music and their trucks booming loudly. I had one of the biggest temper tantrums in my front yard on Easter, you could imagine. It stopped. The neighborhood has quieted down.
I am so sorry for all the people involved in this.

BeyondBelief, I know exactly what you mean. The next home I buy will be quite a distance from other homes!

I was trying to find out if Hough was sleep deprived. My friend is a fireman and he doesn't get enough sleep in my opinion. Add sleep deprivation to an ongoing neighborhood battle.... Hopefully I'll hear more as this case progesses.

Again, no excuses, but I've felt that anger at obnoxious neighbors. I almost went over to the neighbors "boom box car" at 2 a.m. wanting to smash in the windows with a baseball bat because he was blaring his stupid boom box music!!! (That kind that shakes the walls with the bass beat.) My little one had just come home that day from surgery and we were all exhausted. Obviously, reason got the better of me, and I didn't. By the time I went over there to talk to him about it, he had turned it off. But I had the phone in hand for the police. I tend to pick my battles with that family because they are housing an ex-con relative that murdered a man during a robbery almost 25 years ago. :silenced:

The last Cleveland mayor cut our police and firemen to ridiculous levels about 2 years ago. Response time to a B&E was 24 hours sometimes, IF they came. They didn't even respond to annoyance calls. The neighbors probably realized that and didn't care, being as young as they were. There have been additions to the force with the new mayor, but it's still not enough.

I can understand what Hough might have felt, but you just don't get your gun and start shooting at people. I wonder what would have happened if Hough hadn't had an arsenal of weapons in his home in the first place?

I am sorry for all involved as well. :(

I haven't read the article yet, but the first thing that came to my mind was "Is it a Vietnam Vet with PTSD?" That would change things if it were. Firecrackers do sound like gunshots, how many people have mistaken real (not movie) gunshots for firecrackers in news articles? Just wanted to bring this up, so the other side of the coin is glimpsed. We had a neighbor when I was growing up who was a Vietnam vet, and he'd have a heck of a time on the 4th of July, he hated that day because it gave him flashbacks. He was a staunch patriot too. :(

ETA: Ok, I see he's not a Vietnam Vet. Is he any kind of Vet?

I haven't read the article yet, but the first thing that came to my mind was "Is it a Vietnam Vet with PTSD?" That would change things if it were. Firecrackers do sound like gunshots, how many people have mistaken real (not movie) gunshots for firecrackers in news articles? Just wanted to bring this up, so the other side of the coin is glimpsed. We had a neighbor when I was growing up who was a Vietnam vet, and he'd have a heck of a time on the 4th of July, he hated that day because it gave him flashbacks. He was a staunch patriot too. :(

ETA: Ok, I see he's not a Vietnam Vet. Is he any kind of Vet?

That's a good question, KatK. I'll try to find out. If anything, he could have been involved in the Gulf War since he's 35, right? I think he's been at the same firehouse for 10 years.

I just don't understand why neighbors cannot or won't be more considerate of one another. Many folks are just plain selfish, thoughtless and rude. We have selfish neighbors who put their two large, barking dogs out in their background bright and early each morning. Sound travels and often amplifies!! People don't realize this, I guess.

I will install noise reduction windows in our next home in an effort to tune out noisy neighbors. However, I'm not sure that they would work on barking dogs, firecrackers, loud stereos. They probably are like the Bose noise cancelling headphones that tune out steady noise, such as traffic and jet engines.

Yes, he could have been in the Gulf War, or some of the other military actions as well.

A Cleveland fireman Killed three people and wounded two others July 4th.He started arguing with the neighbor because the group in his party were shooting off fireworks,he left them in the driveway of the neighbors home~went inside his house and came out with a gun.He shot the homeowner 3 times in the chest two other people in the back~two more were wounded but released from the hospital.I dont know how to post websites for news but if someone will go to newsnet5cleveland there is an article.Bruce Anderson lived across from the store I work in.We are all so upset!! Bruce was one of the nicest young men I know.His girlfriend to whom he was engaged was killed also.The fireman is in jail under suicide watch.We are all just so sad...I pray for his family.
P.S. woio has the story also.
From what I read Hough was a complainer about everything in the neighborhood which is a very nice area.One person said he was a time bomb waiting to go off.It's just too sad.Bruce lived upstairs from his grandmom and was very good to her.She is just about in pieces.

If Hough had called the police to report the party a few times, i wonder why they didn't do more to stop the noise. Most places have noise ordinances after a certain hour. Thank god i have been conditioned to sleep through most loud noise. (used to live across from a fire house growing up; not to mention the school behind was where they lit off fireworks every 4th of July - actually slept through it one year). I have some friends who live in a more congested area and all night long there is music, yelling from the street, lots of noise. I take it all with a grain of salt and still am able to sleep. I wonder if Hough had other stress going on in his life at the time. How unusual to just go over there and shoot people. Many guns were found in his home also? Did he collect them or maybe was paranoid about something?

I wonder if the home owner victim was a student. Sometimes they seem to party more than most. I had some living next to me once and they had some wild parties. I called the police and later found out that one of my neighbor girlfriends was over partying with them. When a third unrelated person moved in, I reported it , and they were finally made to move since the homeowner didn't want to pay a big fine because of a renter. I lost sleep, cussed them out, retaliated by costing him money in animal control fines, and was really annoyed but would never think of actually hurting the boys though.

I can tolerate quite a bit but I cant stand people letting off fireworks at 2 and 3am. I have a 3 year old and she is very afraid of loud noises so the fireworks scare her. We had some idiot teenagers (too young to be out then) letting them off in front of our house? Why I have no clue? After 10 minutes I turned on the house light and they moved.

It is so sad it escalated to that and there was no reason for it they should have called the cops if there was a problem and let them deal with it, I have called cops before for parties and stuff that are way too noisy at too late of an hour. One of my neighbors is the local fire chief so he usually takes care of it if he is home (small town) without me needing to call.

I will say if someone threw a brick through my window that was close to my daughter I would pull a momma bear on them but I'm smart enough to call the cops instead of getting my butt in jail.

Walsh who was shot in the arm said there was no dispute,Hough never called the police.Anderson and Rosby were sitting in the driveway watching the fireworks in the neighborhood at 12:05 am.Hough came out of the house with the gun and started shooting.Walsh said Houghs only words were "bet you folks wont start this *advertiser censored* again"~while firing.Bail has been denied.~~~cleveland.com

-------------------

Sorry, I started this thread not seeing the other one.It wont happen again.Hough has been described by his co~workers as a time bomb waiting to go off.As many know~this is a hard thing to get over,we are all hurting.

Another friend mentioned she saw on TV news that other fireman were now saying that he was a ticking time bomb waiting to happen and that they hoped they weren't on duty with him when he did go off. She didn't know which channel reported that, or if it was in the newspaper... I'll try to find a link.

The first reports I heard on local TV said the opposite-that he was quiet, not a problem, etc. Even my friend that worked with him said he never saw this coming. (Aren't these the first to explode?)

I'll haven't been able to find out if he's a veteran or not.

Another friend mentioned she saw on TV news that other fireman were now saying that he was a ticking time bomb waiting to happen and that they hoped they weren't on duty with him when he did go off. She didn't know which channel reported that, or if it was in the newspaper... I'll try to find a link.

The first reports I heard on local TV said the opposite-that he was quiet, not a problem, etc. Even my friend that worked with him said he never saw this coming. (Aren't these the first to explode?)

I'll haven't been able to find out if he's a veteran or not.
--------------
The article relating to his behavior by fellow workers was in the Plain Dealer on Saturday.Hough was 19 in 1991.He complained about everything kids yelling,dogs barking,etc..Bruce was at Shuster~Straker funeral home today.His grandmom told me he will be cremated and his parents will take him to Dallas where the family lives for burial..Gram will move there later.Even his Dad cried like a baby. the poor soul.He has hired a lawyer in Cleveland to see to it justice is done.He is wealthy and said money is no object.
Katies funeral is tomorrow~Jake on Tuesday.

Cleveland.com

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
branditau.wareham72@gmail
Back