OH OH - Tiffany Papesh, 8, Maple Heights, 13 June 1980

Thanks for the explanation.

Wow! So why on earth did that guy admit to it? Did he want to take himself off the streets?

It's hard to comprehend but just like Meaghan says Flagner claimed he needed to stay in prison so he could continue receiving the psychological or psychiatric treatment he was following. Maybe it involved a drug he liked, I don't know, I don't think Flagner is sane. In my opinion this case is a good example of the need for nationwide post-incarceration monitoring programs that would allow sex offenders to continue receiving treatment (and be more closely monitored) following the completion of their sentence, which should always be served in its entirety btw. If such programs existed in every state Flagner would not have felt the need to make a false confession and perhaps a child killer wouldn't be walking free.

I bet the real perpetrater couldnt believe his luck!

Yeah, revolting when you think about it. Public pressure or not, if I had been the DA on this case I don't know how I could sleep at night. I'm not into politics so I can't say for certain what I would have done but honestly I think I'd rather risk losing an election than having to live with this on my conscience.

Yeah, revolting when you think about it. Public pressure or not, if I had been the DA on this case I don't know how I could sleep at night. I'm not into politics so I can't say for certain what I would have done but honestly I think I'd rather risk losing an election than having to live with this on my conscience.

I'd guess the DA told himself he was putting a dangerous child rapist behind bars where he belonged, for good. This is the same thing that makes me hesitant to speak up on Mr. Flagner's behalf like in a letter-writing campaign or something. He's a molester and would molest again if he was released from prison. I don't want that on MY conscience.

I'd guess the DA told himself he was putting a dangerous child rapist behind bars where he belonged, for good. This is the same thing that makes me hesitant to speak up on Mr. Flagner's behalf like in a letter-writing campaign or something. He's a molester and would molest again if he was released from prison. I don't want that on MY conscience.

I understand where you come from about Flagner, and I agree that it's in society's better interest that he remains behind bars. However I find the trade off, abandoning the hunt for a child killer, hard to swallow. I'm not convinced that the DA chose the lesser of two evils in making this decision. I can't honestly say I blame the DA 100% though, it wasn't an easy decision to take and discarding the confession while the public wasn't yet aware of the evidence that placed Flagner elsewhere on the day of the abduction would have been difficult to justify at the time. I can see however why the victim's family were so frustrated a the turn of events.

the brother was richard he affixiated himself in a van. he was real good friends with my uncle darren cale and his mother joanne papesh cale purnell.

I was born and raised in Maple Heights and lived there when Tiffany vanished. I often visited that store and, my Father did business with her Dad at Granger Garage.

I ran into a friend from the old neighbor recently who told me one of Tiffany's brothers had commited suicide. I do not want to say which one because I have not checked it out yet. He also stated how the bother like the rest of his family, Ron Arko, (who's brother's bar I used to work) and most of us believe. That the wrong man was convicted.

Bumping case up. This June will mark the thirtieth anniversary of Tiffany's disappearance.

----------------------------------------------------------
Tiffany Jennifer Papesh, 8, Missing since June 13, 1980 from Maple Heights, OH

Tiffany Jennifer Papesh

Missing since June 13, 1980 from Maple Heights, Cuyahoga County, Ohio.
Classification: Non-Family Abduction

Vital Statistics

Date Of Birth: July 2, 1971
Age at Time of Disappearance: 8 years old
Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 4'0; 58 pounds
Distinguishing Characteristics: White female. Brown, straight hair; blue eyes.
Marks, Scars: Pierced ears. Previously fractured collar bone.
Clothing: Red/blue t-shirt, blue shorts and blue tennis shoes.
Dentals: Available. Gap between front teeth.
DNA: Available.
AKA: TJ

Circumstances of Disappearance

Papesh went to a neighborhood store for a quick errand in 1980; she never returned home. Papesh was apparently seen at the store, but disappeared afterward.

Police suspect that foul play was involved in Papesh's case.

Brandon Flagner confessed to killing Tiffany in a 1983 letter to the FBI. He was indicted in June 1985 on two counts of aggravated murder and one count of kidnapping. He was sentenced to life in prison.

Investigators

If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:

Maple Heights Police Department
Sgt. Ehbar
216-662-5884

You may remain anonymous when submitting information.

NCMEC #: NCMC603389

Case Number: OH-O770100

NCIC Number: M-619343158

Please refer to these numbers when contacting any agency with information regarding this case.

Source Information:

The National Center For Missing and Exploited Children
Ohio Missing Children Clearinghouse
NamUs
The Doe Network: Case File 97DFOH

LINK:

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/97dfoh.html

Bumping case up. 30 years have passed since Tiffany's disappearance. Has anyone seen any anniversary articles?

-----------------------------------------

Tiffany Jennifer Papesh

Vital Statistics

Date Of Birth: July 2, 1971
Age at Time of Disappearance: 8 years old
Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 4'0; 58 pounds
Distinguishing Characteristics: White female. Brown, straight hair; blue eyes.
Marks, Scars: Pierced ears. Previously fractured collar bone.
Clothing: Red/blue t-shirt, blue shorts and blue tennis shoes.
Dentals: Available. Gap between front teeth.
DNA: Available.
AKA: TJ

Papesh went to a neighborhood store for a quick errand in 1980; she never returned home. Papesh was apparently seen at the store, but disappeared afterward.

Brandon Flagner confessed to killing Tiffany in a 1983 letter to the FBI. He was indicted in June 1985 on two counts of aggravated murder and one count of kidnapping. He was sentenced to life in prison.

Investigators

Sgt. Ehbar
216-662-5884

Please refer to these numbers when contacting any agency with information regarding this case.

Source Information: The National Center For Missing and Exploited Children
NamUs

LINK:

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/97dfoh.html

I can't believe it has been 30 years since Tiffany went missing. She and I were the same age and from the same county and I have never forgotten her story. She is the reason I have always been interested in the search for missing persons! Remembering her today and always and hoping her remains will someday be found!!

What kind of a suburb was Maple Heights? Is it an affluent suburb?

The reason I'm asking this is that back in the early 1980's, there are two unsolved murders in the Columbus area involving 8 year old school girls with brown hair.

The first victim was Asenath Louise 'Seenie' Dukat. She was abducted and murdered in Upper Arlington, Ohio on June 3, 1980. Upper Arlington is an affluent suburb of Columbus, Ohio.

What caught my attention here is that Asenath Louise 'Seenie' Dukat was abducted and murdered ten days before Tiffany Jennifer Papesh was abducted.

And it is only a two hour drive on Interstate 71 between the Cleveland area and the Columbus area.

Asenath Louise ‘Seenie’ Dukat

OH OH - Asenath Louise 'Seenie' Dukat, 8, Upper Arlington, Murdered in 1980 - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

The second victim was Kelly Ann Prosser. She was abducted on September 20, 1982 in Columbus, Ohio. She was found murdered in Madison County, Ohio on September 22, 1982.

Kelly Ann Prosser

OH OH - Kelly Ann Prosser, 8, Columbus, Murdered In Sept 1982 - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

I also want to ask my fellow websleuthers from Northeastern Ohio this question here.

Were there any other abductions and/or murders in the Northeastern Ohio region from the 1980's that involved girls who had brown hair and were under 13 years of age?

The murders of Asenath Louise 'Seenie' Dukat and Kelly Ann Prosser are still unsolved, and it has me wondering if there could have been a SK in the Ohio Valley region during the 1980's that went after girls.

Maple Heights at the time was just a normal working class city, not an affluent one. It has since slid into a lower/middle class area(not hoping to offend anyone from there). As far as other abductions/murders, none come immediately to mind. I will have to do some looking to see! The longer time goes on, the more I think it was someone who knew Tiffany that took her. Sadly, we might never find out who:(

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If you search on the name Brandon Flagner, you will get some interesting links to stories about this little girl's disappearance, and about the evil dirtbag who claims to have abducted and killed her.

Also a lot of crap about his religious rights while in prison... He is probably watching color HD TV right now with a smirk on his face.

He knows where her body is, but has never said. I wonder if a waterboard might refresh his memory?

Found this case today on the Charley Project and was heart broken. It seems to me that Flagner is an improbable but easy to go-to perp. The guy gives me the heebie jeebies and I think he's a creep. But I don't think he knows where Tiffany is.

Not sure if this helps or not.... I was a brown-haired girl in kindergarten, walking with my friend, who was also in kindergarten with brown hair, when we were approached by a man who attempted to lure us into his car in Wisconsin. I was thinking 1985, but after further thought, it would be more like 1983 or 1984.
I had binge-watched the series "The Hunt" on Netflix, and was inspired to share info about this abduction attempt, as of about two days ago.
Today, I posted a reply on the thread for the girl Tricia Kellett, who was an 8-year-old who went missing from Chicago in 1982. The description of the suspect's car in that case is fairly consistent with the description of the car I remember from my own incident (there were inconsistent descriptions from her case, though, so it's hard to know if it's really the same).
Is it possible that the guy traveled?

What kind of a suburb was Maple Heights? Is it an affluent suburb?

The reason I'm asking this is that back in the early 1980's, there are two unsolved murders in the Columbus area involving 8 year old school girls with brown hair.

The first victim was Asenath Louise 'Seenie' Dukat. She was abducted and murdered in Upper Arlington, Ohio on June 3, 1980. Upper Arlington is an affluent suburb of Columbus, Ohio.

What caught my attention here is that Asenath Louise 'Seenie' Dukat was abducted and murdered ten days before Tiffany Jennifer Papesh was abducted.

And it is only a two hour drive on Interstate 71 between the Cleveland area and the Columbus area.

Asenath Louise ‘Seenie’ Dukat

OH OH - Asenath Louise 'Seenie' Dukat, 8, Upper Arlington, Murdered in 1980 - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

The second victim was Kelly Ann Prosser. She was abducted on September 20, 1982 in Columbus, Ohio. She was found murdered in Madison County, Ohio on September 22, 1982.

Kelly Ann Prosser

OH OH - Kelly Ann Prosser, 8, Columbus, Murdered In Sept 1982 - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

I also want to ask my fellow websleuthers from Northeastern Ohio this question here.

Were there any other abductions and/or murders in the Northeastern Ohio region from the 1980's that involved girls who had brown hair and were under 13 years of age?

The murders of Asenath Louise 'Seenie' Dukat and Kelly Ann Prosser are still unsolved, and it has me wondering if there could have been a SK in the Ohio Valley region during the 1980's that went after girls.

TPapesh.jpg
TPapesh2.jpg
TPapesh1.jpg

Left & Center: Papesh, circa 1980; Right: Age-progressed to age 39 (circa 2010)

Tiffany Jennifer Papesh

Vital Statistics
    • Date Of Birth: July 2, 1971
    • Age at Time of Disappearance: 8 years old
    • Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 4'0; 58 pounds
    • Distinguishing Characteristics: White female. Brown, straight hair; blue eyes.
    • Marks, Scars: Pierced ears. Previously fractured collar bone.
    • Clothing: Red/blue t-shirt, blue shorts and blue tennis shoes.
    • Dentals: Available. Gap between front teeth.
    • DNA: Available.
    • AKA: TJ

Investigators
Sgt. Ehbar
216-662-5884

Source Information:
The National Center For Missing and Exploited Children

NamUs

Not sure if this helps or not.... I was a brown-haired girl in kindergarten, walking with my friend, who was also in kindergarten with brown hair, when we were approached by a man who attempted to lure us into his car in Wisconsin. I was thinking 1985, but after further thought, it would be more like 1983 or 1984.
I had binge-watched the series "The Hunt" on Netflix, and was inspired to share info about this abduction attempt, as of about two days ago.
Today, I posted a reply on the thread for the girl Tricia Kellett, who was an 8-year-old who went missing from Chicago in 1982. The description of the suspect's car in that case is fairly consistent with the description of the car I remember from my own incident (there were inconsistent descriptions from her case, though, so it's hard to know if it's really the same).
Is it possible that the guy traveled?
Very possible.

Bumping for Tiffany. I hope that her remains can be found someday soon. Her case breaks my heart. She seems to have vanished in the blink of an eye. Were there ever any viable suspects besides Flagner? He’s definitely a creep but I’m not sure if he’s guilty in Tiffany’s case.

I tend to wonder if perhaps it wasn’t even a man who took Tiffany. According to news reports from the time that Tiffany went missing, she let a middle aged woman cut her in line when she was waiting to pay for the hamburger buns. They were both seen leaving the store at the exact same time. Police sought the woman for questioning but I’m unsure if they found her or not.

Clipped from 19 Jun 1980, 5 - Telegraph-Forum at Newspapers.com
upload_2020-12-14_3-54-16.jpeg

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Greer∆