GUILTY OH - Two women & child killed, 13yo abducted, Apple Valley, 10 Nov 2010 #3

Discussion in 'Recently Sentenced and Beyond' started by Cubby, Nov 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kalekona

kalekona Well-Known Member

Bernard "Keith" Howell III

He actually went to school with my daughter prior to the move that effected him so.... by all accounts he was a normal well like kid until the move...

(he is also a suspect in another case) http://www.peninsuladailynews.com/a...h-port-townsend-ties-linked-to-grisly-slaying

I can see the resemblance but I believe Howell really has a mental illness not so sure about this guy, but it does sound like he was acting a bit odd.

2. impatientredhead

impatientredhead New Member

Seems like an excessive response to covering up a burglary?
    Given today's case makes you wonder if they missed the real crime?
    Or if his intended crime didn't come to fruition. Doesn't seem like a reasonable cover up though.

3. cluciano63

cluciano63 Well-Known Member

Did someone in the nieghborhood bring forth this guy as a suspect and then LE looked and saw that they had made contact with him near the campus? And on that day, did LE just question him and move on?

4. tfrohning

tfrohning Rest in Peace

Okay I going crazy but when I read that...my first thought was the movie "Lovely Bones" that guy had a bunker and had it stock"not a true story" but maybe they should be looking underground for bunkers.

5. Bratislava

Bratislava New Member

Or Matthew saw her walking and offered to give her a ride....

6. Bratislava

Bratislava New Member

Maybe he told Stephanie he was a neighbor who knew the Maynards and would love to help. I bet he has a wide smile, given that mouth, and people are generally trusting of wide smiles.

7. darlin gal

darlin gal New Member

8. fran

fran Former Member

I don't know if this is already posted, but here's an article saying he was released from the Colorado prison in January 2007 and paroled to Ohio.

fran

http://www.denverpost.com/frontpage/ci_16618467?source=rss

Ohio kidnapping suspect Matthew Hoffman was convicted of Steamboat Springs arson

Matthew J. Hoffman, 30, suspected in the abduction of teenager Sarah Maynard, was released from the Colorado Department of Corrections in January of 2007.

Hoffman was convicted in 2001 of arson, burglary, assault and motor vehicle theft in Routt County, according to Colorado Bureau of Investigation records.

He was released from Colorado prison and paroled to Ohio, said Katherine Sanguinetti, a corrections department spokeswoman. Hoffman completed his Colorado term last month.

"I'm comfortable that it's the same guy," said Capt. George Hartz of the Mount Vernon, Ohio, Police Department.

Read more: Ohio kidnapping suspect Matthew Hoffman was convicted of Steamboat Springs arson - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/frontpage/ci_16618467?source=rss#ixzz15O8X6yvL

9. AnaTeresa

AnaTeresa Well-Known Member

I don't think trapping/hunting is necessarily a sign of conduct issues (not a psychologist myself). I think even mistreatment/general kid mischeif is considered benign - it's when the kid is attempting to inflict pain on the animal and when their actions are for the purpose of inflicting pain, wanting to see something die, etc. That's when you sort of get into the sociopath issue. I think it goes beyond mistreatement - or perhaps when the kid can't get the social norms of not torturing animals, that's when you worry.

10. Texas Mist

Texas Mist Retired WS Staff

He was very brazen - given Tina's truck was there Wed. evening when LE went by there - two times! - and was either in the house, or went back to get Tina's truck because it was gone when LE went back on Thursday afternoon.

Not to mention Tina's b/f was still staying there...we don't know how often because the reporting is not so clear on that...it just happened that Tina's bf didn't come home from work that day (he stayed elsewhere overnite).

That's taking lotsa chances!

11. darlin gal

darlin gal New Member

I really wish for sure IF Stephanie's Jeep was found in her own garage or in Tina's.
    With the conflicting media it's hard to tell.

12. CaseyLPC

CaseyLPC Licensed Professional Counselor

There was a case just like this in California in the 80s (i think) where 2 guys built a big bunker and kept several women there until they were killed. Those guys were named Leonard Lake and Charles Ng.

13. TakeNote

TakeNote Mother to little post it my boy wonder & Founding

in the AOL news article the neighbor mentions that MH would walk to the park often and collected leaves....I wonder if there is a collection of leaves in his home of the same type of tree......could a tree in the park hold clues?.....a place to revisit??....bring back souvenirs/leaves?.....maybe a burial ground?

just throwing stuff out there :)

14. fran

fran Former Member

Two things this guy has in common with serial killers is his penchant of cruelty to animals (as a neighbor stated) and setting fires.

Oh, and in an article yesterday, the one woman talking about him watching them from a tree, said he'd told someone he wanted to beat up or fight her son. Her son is 8 yo.

JMHO
    fran

15. nursebeeme

nursebeeme Registered User

I also wonder what he was doing in Colorado... I have been doing some searching to see if he has a military background. He would have been 21ish in 2001

16. Betty P

Betty P Well-Known Member

I've also wondered if the perp was a casual friend or drinking buddy of Tina's b/f and may have known of his plans to stay overnight elsewhere. He could have also used his acquaintance w/ b/f as a ruse to be allowed into the house.

17. fran

fran Former Member

The Lake guy committed suicide and the Ng guy, it took 20 years to have him extradicted from Canada, where he was located.

I remember that case from when I lived in Oregon in the 80's and I lived in OC when this guy was finally tried.

Horrible case!

JMHO
    fran

18. Sooner Fan#1

Sooner Fan#1 Rest in Peace

t

I wish we had other neighbors and get their input...It has been suggested that DD may not be reliable...Would like verification.....The hole in the ceiling wierded me out....but we can't say for sure it's accurate.

19. bellyup

bellyup Well-Known Member

I'm not even sure what to say to this :waitasec: My kids know better than to ever harm, hurt or harass an animal for entertainment.

http://www.hsus.org/hsus_field/firs..._animal_cruelty_what_parents_should_know.html

If allowed to harm animals, children are more likely to be violent later in life. Animal cruelty, like any other violence, should never be attributed to a stage of development.

Cruelty is often associated with children who do poorly in school and have low self-esteem and few friends. Children who are cruel to animals are often characterized as bullies and may have a history of truancy, vandalism, and other antisocial behaviors.

http://www.hsus.org/acf/cruelty/publiced/cruelty_serial_killers.html
    http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/425882/the_link_between_animal_abuse_and_serial.html?cat=

The statistics are staggering and the link between animal abuse as children/teenagers and future violent tendencies (including murder) are very well documented.

Of the nine school shootings .... half had histories of animal cruelty.

...serial killers ...46 percent admitted to committing animal cruelty as adolescents

Future serial killers usually torture animals purely for their own enjoyment. Animal abuse is a recognized sign of a mental disorder. If a child hurts animals it should be a red flag and immediate action should be taken. While there are many factors that contribute to someone becoming a serial killer, the one constant they share is animal abuse.

20. Wondergirl

Wondergirl Well-Known Member

Are there any other missing people or unsolved cases in Howard?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.