GUILTY OH - Vivian Martin, 67, real estate agent found slain, Youngstown, 20 Sept 2010

Discussion in 'Recently Sentenced and Beyond' started by Belinda, Sep 24, 2010.

1. Belinda

Belinda Doer of Things

By MEGHAN BARR and THOMAS J. SHEERAN
    KENT, Ohio - The killings of two real estate agents and robbery of a third within a week have agents on northeast Ohio on alert, and some are even cutting back on business as police warn them not to go alone to show properties.

One agent was found Monday strangled in a burning home that had been vacant and on the market. The next day, another was found shot once, also in vacant home up for sale. A third was threatened and robbed of her purse at gunpoint as she showed an apartment building Sept. 15.

snip

Vivian Martin, 67, was found dead Monday on the kitchen floor of a burning home in Youngstown, according to police chief Jimmy Hughes. She was strangled, and authorities said the fire was arson.

The body of 51-year-old Andrew VonStein was found Tuesday in a vacant ranch-style house he was trying to sell about 40 miles west of Youngstown in a lakefront community near Kent State University.

More at link:
    http://headlines.verizon.com/headli..._us_article&_article=3092970&_ref=articlePage

2. Loading...

3. Belinda

Belinda Doer of Things

This story really struck me because of the Lindsay Buziak story. No where close physically, it just struck me as odd.

4. mysterygirl

mysterygirl A Nancy Drew Wannabe

How sad.

Realtors can't even show houses now.

5. annalia

annalia New Member

This is so scary. And the more stories we hear it seems the more it happens, copycats, it gives creeps ideas. I've always thought about going into real estate but this was the one thing that scared me too much, being alone in a home with strangers.

What can be done? Maybe realtors will change their policies and there has to be two people going to a home. Or maybe the homeowner needs to be home at the time of the showings but of course that wouldn't help if the home was vacant.

6. Belinda

Belinda Doer of Things

I believe they are pairing up for showings, but don't know if that will really help that much. I don't know how they can protect themselves in this job short of getting a carry permit.

7. Opie

Opie Well-Known Member

These situations are not too far from me and on the news tonight we heard from another female realtor who had a spooky experience. Turns out the guy who wanted to see a house "right now" was one of those now arrested. She was immediately suspicious and merely handed him her card, refusing to show him the house at once. Good thing, or she might have been another statistic.

8. Belinda

Belinda Doer of Things

It is really a shame that people have to be afraid to go to work or school anymore. You never know anymore when someone is going to flip out and mow everyone in their path down.

9. OkieGranny

OkieGranny New Member Staff Member Forum Coordinators

http://www.vindy.com/news/2014/jun/07/4-year-delay-realtors-murder-case-maddening-say-fr/?nw

10. Blondie in Spokane

Blondie in Spokane Well-Known Member

Thanks for the updates Okie & Indy!

11. OkieGranny

http://www.vindy.com/news/2014/jul/18/judge-rules-on-motions-in-murder-case/

12. OkieGranny

http://www.vindy.com/news/2014/oct/03/martin-family-now-we-can-get-some-healin/