OH OH - William 'Bill' Comeans, 14, Columbus, 7 Jan 1980 - #2

Did anyone happen to see this story? The murder occurred twelve years almost to the day after Bill's. The suspect is 71 now, so he's old enough to have committed murder in 1980. LE will have his DNA now. If a profile's been developed from the sample in Bill's case the two can be compared. I know it's a long shot, but I can't help but hope this could be the break Bill's family deserves.

Arrest made in 1992 cold case murder of Illinois teen
ByCrimesider StaffCBS/APJuly 24, 2014, 3:10 PM

torQWVN.jpg

David Chereck

CHICAGO - A 71-year-old man has been arrested in California in connection with the 1992 strangling death of an Illinois teenager.

Cook County authorities say Robert Serritella was arrested this week in Los Angeles County.

[...]

David Chereck was last seen walking home from a bowling alley in Skokie, Ill. on New Year's Day 1992. His body was found the next day in a forest preserve. His coat and shoes were missing and he had been strangled with his scarf, reports CBS Chicago.
Suspect in '92 slaying of Niles West student held in Los Angeles
By Robert McCoppin Tribune reporter
8:35 p.m. CDT, July 24, 2014

The case of the 15-year-old boy who disappeared while walking home from a Skokie bowling alley was cracked not by a single breakthrough — and not by physical evidence — but by detective interviews that found Serritella made incriminating statements to people he knew, Cook County Sheriff Tom Dart said.

“We’re happy he’s in custody and will be back on his way here to answer for this,” Dart said.

But the victim's mother said when detectives in the cold case division reopened the case about three years ago at the direction of Cook County Sheriff Tom Dart, they worked "doggedly" on the investigation.

Another link here
http://abc7chicago.com/news/mother-of-1992-murder-victim-hopes-for-justice-after-arrest/215553/

An original article from 1992

Slain Teenager Vanished While On His Way Home
January 03, 1992|By Jerry Thomas and John Gorman.

[...]

Gerald Palacios, chief of detectives for the Cook County Forest Preserve Police, said Chereck did not appear to have been sexually molested, but an autopsy would be conducted Friday. Palacios said some apparently defensive wounds were found on the body, and a struggle appeared to have taken place where the body was found.

Chereck`s empty wallet was found nearby. He had $30 with him Wednesday, but it was not clear whether he had spent it or was robbed.

``At this point, we have no motive or suspects,`` Palacios said. ``This kid seemed like Mr. Joe Clean Cut. . . . There`s a good possibility he knew his killer or killers.``

[...]

``He said his parents moved out here to get a better life for him,`` one friend said Thursday. The family moved from Chicago`s North Side to Skokie four years ago.

The friend said Chereck was in the highest-level classes at Niles West and was not ``a blowoff,`` or someone who would cut class or smoke marijuana. At the friend`s home Wednesday, the boys made plans to meet later that night at Fair Lanes Oakton Bowl, 4833 W. Oakton Blvd., to play video games.

Gee, Bessie, even the date is similar -- Jan. 1 for David, Jan. 7 for Bill. Could suggest visits home for the holidays? I too wonder if Serritella had friends or family in Columbus prior to or in addition to Skokie.

I remember reading articles on this case earlier in Bill's thread, but at that time the stories made it sound like the forest preserve police were off-base searching for a suspect in California. I remember thinking that something said in the media EXCLUDED Serritella! Just goes to show you how little we actually know about a case based on info shared publicly.

December .....

..... about time for the long-awaited DNA-test!

:back:

It's good to hear from you, Kat. Thanks for the update. I'm so sorry you're facing more delays.

Happy Holidays to you and Bob.

I know there have been many thoughts, speculations, ideas, theories on what happened to Bill. For 35 years there have been no answers and perhaps there never will be.

Does it makes sense to tie a heavy winter scarf around your neck while wearing heavy ski gloves?
Not looking for answers... just something to think about.

It makes me angry that people called Bill's death "suicide" or an "accident".

The emphasis by many on the "suicide" or "accident" hypothesis suggests to me the possibility of a cover-up - Bill's killer could have been the scion(s) of an local family that was important politically or socially. Their family has a quiet word with their friends in the police....

Bumping this thread up for Bill's family-hoping for an answer soon

.... and bump-dee-bump for Bill Comeans,

............. because 2015 is his year ....!

:bump: :bump: :bump:

MESSAGE ON TWITTER:

Bill Comeans ‏@BillComeans

DNA samples are in the hands of the forensic scientist. In 3 yrs they've made it from a forgotten box in storage to the lab. Closer now.

BBM

:drumroll: :drumroll: :drumroll:

Bill Comeans ‏@BillComeans

Thank you to my family and friends for being there for me. I'm sorry it's been so difficult. Maybe now will be my time.

BBM

:tyou:

Bill Comeans @BillComeans · 23 apr.

Miracles happen.God's in control. It's out of our hands & in our prayers. DNA tests done, results are being verified 2,889 days & counting

BBM

:lookingitup:

Bill Comeans @BillComeans · 23 apr.

Miracles happen.God's in control. It's out of our hands & in our prayers. DNA tests done, results are being verified 2,889 days & counting

BBM

:lookingitup:
Still counting with you. Luv.

After the decades of waiting, we will get an answer. However, we are fully aware this "answer" may lead to more unanswerable questions.

Yes, but each answer is one more step toward the truth, and I pray this one will be a giant step.

Keeping you in my prayers.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mooreknowledge
Back