OH OH - Zanesville, OH (1950s) *UNSOLVED*

Interesting! I'll see what I can dig up too :)

The last time I looked into this was in 2005. There may be more articles available on-line now that could shed some light on these missing girls.

As you can see from my earlier posts, I was able to find out about a couple of the girls.

I intended to research the reports of a white slavery ring working out of that area, but never have had time to do that. I tend to take those reports with a grain of salt, but who knows, maybe there's something to them.

It has been 35 years since April Rose Zane went missing.

I wouldnt assume that just because there was no followup reporting that most of them returned home.
Especially in the '50's attitudes towards 'runaways' could be very casual and dismisive with many law enforcement agencies.
as recently as the early seventies in houston texas a serial killer was able to murder thirty some boys mostly from one neighborhood in about a two and a half year time span without there being even one article about the disappearences in the cities newspapers... and no investigation to speak of until the killer was himself killed and it all came out from one of his accomplices.
I would say as many names as you have on that list from one town in that span of time something was seriously wrong there.

Must admit that's a lot of people missing whether they turned up or not.

I wasn't able to find any of these in online newspaper archives but I found 12 identified girls and 2 unidentified girls murdered from 1975 - 1976 in Broward and Dade County Fla.
One family moved to Zanesville after their daughter was murdered. I think that is why it pulled this article up.

Jan 26, 1975 Judy Desterling
Feb 2, 1975 Barbara Stephens

Apr 12, 1975 Arietta Tinker

Jun 15, 1975 Nancy Fox
Jun 19, 1975 Barbara Schreiber Belinda Zetterower

Jul 10, 1975 Robin Losch
Jul 13, 1975 Elise Rapp
Jul 23, 1975 Ronnie Gorlin

Oct 16, 1975 Marlene Annabelle

Dec 13, 1975 Unidentified
Dec 23, 1975 Unidentified

Jan 1, 1976 Mary Coppola
Jan 11, 1976 Michelle Winters

I don't remember seeing this posted but I'm new to the site so they might be. If not I wonder what the outcome and whether there were more victims.

It looks like Norma Lee Hambrick Pierce died 08 Nov 2006 in Zanesville, Ohio. Her DOB was 13 Jan 1940 in Junction City, Ohio, which would have made her 16 at the time of her reported disappearance in 1956. So, it looks like you can mark her off of the list.

The last time I looked into this was in 2005. There may be more articles available on-line now that could shed some light on these missing girls.

As you can see from my earlier posts, I was able to find out about a couple of the girls.

I intended to research the reports of a white slavery ring working out of that area, but never have had time to do that. I tend to take those reports with a grain of salt, but who knows, maybe there's something to them.

White slavery was going on in Ohio and many other states and I believe it still is. Here is one link to a Bust that the FBI

conducted in 1947

http://news.google.com/newspapers?i...AAAIBAJ&dq=ohio white slavery&pg=2114,5257393

Another one in 1970

http://news.google.com/newspapers?i...AAAIBAJ&dq=ohio white slavery&pg=6184,1192121

Bump for missing girls in zanesville oh in the 50's

Hello please bear with me because what I was told is long and complicated. I will start with one particular name, Alexandra, but there are many more. She was born in the early 1950s, raised by her grandmother. She is of some type of orthodox (Russian, polish or something) decent. Her grandmother was involved with the police in Zainesville Ohio. The white slavery ring or what I learned was the pedophile ring was controlled and maintained by authority figures. When the US government set up committees to investigate possible spy's (remember everyone was being accused, movie stars etc) well this committee has people in Russia and russian owned territories. What happened was at some point sickos found a leak to use these committee for pedophelia. If you research you will see the US closed everything down on a hush. These pedophiles were so structured they had a routine...they scouted the want ads for families looking for help. These sickos would send someone to apply until someone from there group got the job. Once in, party number one learned the entire layout of the house, entire routine and schedules of the families. Then party number would quit. At some point thereafter, the group sent I. Party number two for an abduction. I will refund the link and post. It is legitimate. Back to alexandra, the official who abused her was a police officer and there were others. Big accusation? Believe me if I could ignore and forget this I would but i can't and all she wanted was justice.

April Rose Zane
I found a article on one of the sites and I wish I could upload the file. They think April is in Canada or made her way to Mississippi. Its not a fact but its something to go on. Here is what I found:

April Rose Zane 4/18/76 | Missing Frankfort, IL (1976) Might be in Canada
http://www.unsolvedcanada.ca/index.php?topic=6571.0 1/3

<modsnip>

http://www.unsolvedcanada.ca/index.php?topic=6571.0 2/3

Vital Statistics
Date Of Birth: February 25, 1960
Age at Time of Disappearance: 17 years old
Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 5'4"-5'6"; 115-120 lbs.
Distinguishing Characteristics: White female. Dark auburn hair; blue-grey/green eyes. She has a long back which
makes her appear tall. April has freckles on her face.
Marks, Scars: Scar on her right hip from appendectomy; scar on her right knee; scar on her chin.
Clothing: Last seen wearing a brown flannel jacket.
Dentals: Available
DNA: Available
Fingerprints: Not Available
Circumstances of Disappearance
Zane was last seen in Frankfort, Illinois on April 18, 1977. (It is possible that she went missing the year prior - 1976). She
was going into town to visit a friend. She never made it to the friends' house and was never heard from again.
April had a record of running away from home, but always turned up later. She was found several times in the Chicago
land area and arrested for curfew violation.
Investigators
If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:
Frankfort Police Department
Detective William Dowding
815-469-9435
Richard Leonard Forensic Case Manager National Center for Missing & Exploited Children
(703) 778-6478
RLeonard@NCMEC.ORG

http://www.unsolvedcanada.ca/index.php?topic=6571.0 3/3

<modsnip>

We have a thread here for April Zane.

[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=70419"]IL IL - April Zane, 16, Frankfort, 18 April 1976 - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community[/ame]

Shadowangel

The Judy Stevenson you are talking about was not at Zanesville. She was from Zanesfield. She was working at a Pizza place in Bellefontaine. Many people believe the owner was the murderer.

This is an old thread. Not sure how many of the missing cases on it are still open.

Here is a Missing Person Case from Zanesville discussed in another thread:

OH - OH - Bertha Marie Tidd Newell, 40, Zanesville, 13 July 1948

Bertha Marie Tidd Newell, age 40 went missing in 1948, and there does not seem to be anything further on her disappearance. At one time the Charley site had a thread on her, but that is no longer available for some reason.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jbks
Back