Ohio Bill Would Make Abortion Illegal Without Paternal Consent

I believe there are reasons women seek out abortion and the relationship with the father is one of them.

Why even the need to have to go this far. People need to take responsbility by preventing a pregnancy - not terminating one.

That is what confuses me. You believe she has a choice to kill what you know to be a baby?

This does not even have to be a religious debate. http://www.godlessprolifers.org/home.html
http://www.all-creatures.org/murti/pub-thelib-01.html
http://www.infidels.org/library/modern/debates/secularist/abortion/roth5.html

As I said previously, it's one's preference on what they believe it is and what they call the fetus. I call it a child, a baby... another may not believe it's a life until it's born. It's not MY place to make a determination as to what their belief should be... If they choose not to believe it is a baby and wish to terminate the pregnancy it is THEIR choice... not yours, not mine, not anyone else. I'm not in their situation, I don't know their facts, their beliefs, their needs, feelings, etc., only they (and who they choose to share with) know.

Why even the need to have to go this far. People need to take responsbility by preventing a pregnancy - not terminating one.

There are men out there that change their tune once pregancy is a reality. Pre-pregnancy, I thought my DD's dad was the best thing since sliced bread. During and after pregnancy, the body snatchers came and took him and he never returned. This was not the person I thought I knew.

I know I am not the only one this has happened to.

I was able to mother in spite of the change of circumstances. Not all women are.

There are men out there that change their tune once pregancy is a reality. Pre-pregnancy, I thought my DD's dad was the best thing since sliced bread. During and after pregnancy, the body snatchers came and took him and he never returned. This was not the person I thought I knew.

I was able to mother in spite of the change of circumstances. Not all women are.

I got pregnant at 17 and had my daughter at 18. I know what it's like to mother - alone.
I still don't agree with abortion just because it is "inconvenient" now ~ and things did't work out the way you had planned.

should a father be able to demand the mother abort the child if he feels she is unfit?

Of course, there are millions of women who had abortions who wish they never did! But not all woman are as you describe, Cal.. I'm certainly not. I'm also not anything near a feminist.

Just a mentally ill woman who ended up pregnant after going off the pill thinking that was what was making me so sick in my mind....

One, you made a very difficult decision and chose to do what you believed to be best. Please don't let anyone tell you otherwise. :clap:

The facts are that the way this law is written, the man has final say.
There is no mutual decision, just his say so.:hand:

As far as I'm concerned, such a law is unconstitutional.

As far as I'm concerned, such a law is unconstitutional.

Indeed, I don't think it would pass muster in the Courts.

A woman should have the right to make the final decision over what medically affects her body and her mind. She alone risks her life while bearing and then delivering a baby. She alters her life permanently when she becomes a parent. Any child deserves a parent, preferably two parents who want it and want to care for it.

Can you imagine the repercussions of forcing a woman to bear a baby she doesn't want, and care for it the rest of her life?

I keep looking at this thread and backing out... I dont want to get locked out for 5 days!! lol
But I cant stay away so I will throw in my 2 cents...
I am pro-LIFE.... I am fine with the fact that we should able to do what we want with our bodies, but it is not just our body that we are messing with here.. It is another life... A life that begins at conception. It should nto be up to us to decide weather or not that life gets to continue.. That "choice" should only be up to God.

And regarding the quote above, I just wanted to say that we can hardly compare a baby (a fetus, an embryo) to cancer....

The difference is YOU think it is a baby...I don't. If I or some other woman gets pregnant when we dont want to be pregnant, let us have an abortion. If you think its a baby then dont have an abortion!

For those of you who are saying "people need to be more responsible" So women shold be more responsible when they get raped? So a 12 year old who has sex (with no sex education) should be more responsible? If I recall you are the same group of people who are trying to block sex education in schools and free condoms being given to teenagers who WILL (theres no such thing as sex ever going away) have sex?

For those of you who are men and pro-life. How would you feel if it would be a good idea to start asking women you sleep with if they're pro-choice or pro-life just in case you got them pregnant, they won't abort your baby? Sadly, birth control pills or any form of birth control isn't 100% effective.

Im not going to debate whether its right or wrong but comparing a 12 year old getting raped to a person being careless and getting pregnant is hardly the same thing. I personally believe abortion is wrong but I do respect other peoples opinions. People make mistakes but the ones who do it repeatedly are the ones that I just dont get.

That one confuses me. The life I am pro is the unborn child, how can you share that stance and still be pro taking that life?:waitasec:

I am pro all human life, as is every other pro choice person I have ever met. Perhaps other types exist - I just haven't met them.

Additionally I am pro allowing individual women to decide what to do with their bodies.

I do not find the two positions exclusive. I don't see a pregnant woman as a black and white moral canvas. The decision to keep or abort a pregnancy is mulit-layered, colored with innumerable shades of grey and extremely personal.

IMHO, it is too complex to legislate effectively without throwing women's rights out the window.

I believe the rights of an adult pregnant woman supercede the rights of a 3- month old fetus which cannot survive without the mother who is carrying it. The choice as to what to do with the fetus being supported is between the individual woman and God.

Of course, there are millions of women who had abortions who wish they never did! But not all woman are as you describe, Cal.. I'm certainly not. I'm also not anything near a feminist.

Just a mentally ill woman who ended up pregnant after going off the pill thinking that was what was making me so sick in my mind. Only, after that I became sicker and sicker still, even ended up commited to psychiatric hospitals, made suicide attempts and came very close to harming my child the one who was already alive.

I got help and part of that help was to end a pregancy with a child I could end up harming once living outside of my body. I'd already harmed myself and wanted nothing more than to die, why bring a child into THAT kind of life?

You can claim feminism all you want to, but you have no idea the life I have lead, what I put my family through, including my husband, the father of both children I carried (who had a say in the matter and chose what was best for our living and unborn children. and the changes I have since made in my life.

Regret, yeah, I always wanted lots of kids, but guilt, no way! I didn't choose to be mentally ill but I could choose my own behavior and bringing harm to the life of a living breathing child is one behavior I chose not to engage in!
I didn't make a habit of getting pregnant and had to fight with my doctor to get him to tie my tubes while I was still so young but I felt it important I was not in control of anymore childrens lives with my illness. I also felt it important not to hand down more mental illness to our future generations.

I did the right thing and I know that the God I love and pray to knows that!

OLG,

I so love your honesty and bravery. Thank you for your posts on this subject.

I'm sure there are women who regret abortions they have had. But in my experience, most of us don't. The decision to have an abortion is never an easy one, but it is often the right one.

Im not going to debate whether its right or wrong but comparing a 12 year old getting raped to a person being careless and getting pregnant is hardly the same thing. I personally believe abortion is wrong but I do respect other peoples opinions. People make mistakes but the ones who do it repeatedly are the ones that I just dont get.

Ok, the problem is...if you prevent the person who is having abortion repeatedly (in other words, using abortion as a form of birth control) you're also preventing the 12 year old who gets raped. The law works one way...not both ways. If you leave the door open, its different.

I just don't think its fair to close the door on/ban abortions. Whatever reason the woman has is entirely private/personal whether she was raped or not. What if she were in an abusive relationship and she couldn't get away for the fear of her life and didn't want to bring a baby into an abusive world? That's another example.

Ok, the problem is...if you prevent the person who is having abortion repeatedly (in other words, using abortion as a form of birth control) you're also preventing the 12 year old who gets raped. The law works one way...not both ways. If you leave the door open, its different.

I just don't think its fair to close the door on/ban abortions. Whatever reason the woman has is entirely private/personal whether she was raped or not. What if she were in an abusive relationship and she couldn't get away for the fear of her life and didn't want to bring a baby into an abusive world? That's another example.

Exactly - there are just too many situations and too many complexities to legislate this. Outlawing abortion won't stop it - it will just send poor women back to terrible, dangerous places and increase the already unacceptable number of unwanted children who are here already.

As written, the bill would ban women from seeking an abortion without written consent from the father of the fetus. In cases where the identity of the father is unknown, women would be required to submit a list of possible fathers. The physician would be forced to conduct a paternity test from the provided list and then seek paternal permission to abort.
Claiming to not know the father's identity is not a viable excuse, according to the proposed legislation. Simply put: no father means no abortion.

if this bill passes, i'll be very shocked....

As written, the bill would ban women from seeking an abortion without written consent from the father of the fetus. In cases where the identity of the father is unknown, women would be required to submit a list of possible fathers. The physician would be forced to conduct a paternity test from the provided list and then seek paternal permission to abort.
Claiming to not know the father's identity is not a viable excuse, according to the proposed legislation. Simply put: no father means no abortion.

if this bill passes, i'll be very shocked....

Yup, me too..

Indeed, I don't think it would pass muster in the Courts.

A woman should have the right to make the final decision over what medically affects her body and her mind. She alone risks her life while bearing and then delivering a baby. She alters her life permanently when she becomes a parent. Any child deserves a parent, preferably two parents who want it and want to care for it.

Can you imagine the repercussions of forcing a woman to bear a baby she doesn't want, and care for it the rest of her life?

I totally agree with this statement.

I also think that if this did pass then the child support laws would have to be reevaluated as well.

I am Prolife. I believe the man has a say and @ the same time responsibility to finacially take care of the prenatal care and after care.

Well, I feel pregnant, does that count?

Comparing ADD/ADHD with children is much different than the abortion debate.

If a woman knows she would harm her child, she needs to get help, not murder an unborn child and cause herself more harm later.

Cal

While I have appreciated your comments on both this thread and the ADD/ADHD thread, I absolutely believe you are talking out of both sides of your mouth.

The debates are comparable.

I could (but won't) make a strong argument that it is child abuse to feed a youngster addictive schedule II drugs daily for much of their childhood for any reason whatsoever. I have certainly heard others make this argument. The argument, of course, loses its punch when the person making it does not have a child with ADD/ADHD and has not walked a mile in the shoes of the parents who do have a child with the diagnoses.

Similarly, if you've never found yourself with an unwanted pregnancy and in fact are incapable of finding yourself in such a situation, moral absolutes proclaiming abortion as murder are easy to make, but don't pack much punch.

Rightly or wrongly, the only thing I ever really want to hear from a man on the topic of my personal decision to have or not have an abortion is "I hope you never ever find yourself in that situation. I can't pretend to imagine what I would do if I it were even possible for me to find myself in that situation."

And of course the last thing I would want a man to do would be to try to make a hard path even harder and more dangerous for me by legislating my choices out the window.

I'm pro choice but have to add that I'm pro choice for adult women.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Melladanielle
Back