Ohio Landmark "Touchdown Jesus" is No More

Discussion in 'Up to the Minute' started by WhyaDuck?, Jun 15, 2010.

1. WhyaDuck?

WhyaDuck? Inactive

[​IMG]

I have fond memories of this quite odd (and fairly famous) statue, but tonight the bizarre landmark was struck by lightening and burned down. Not surprizing, since it was made of wood and painted styrofoam on a metal frame.

More at:
    http://www.middletownjournal.com/news/middletown-news/touchdown-jesus-destroyed-by-fire-762245.html

2. Loading...

3. WhyaDuck?

WhyaDuck? Inactive

[​IMG]

Update on the aftermath:

<snipped>

More at:
    http://www.middletownjournal.com/ne...fire-damages-estimated-at-700-000-762245.html

4. Nova

Nova New Member

It appears God really meant what He said about idolatry.

5. teedie2

teedie2 Active Member

You think he will knock out Catholic Churches (for example) next? They have lots of statues.

6. WhyaDuck?

WhyaDuck? Inactive

I will say this piece really had to be seen to be believed. It looked like it was sculpted out of cream cheese. I never passed it without noticing it, that's for sure.

The run between Toledo and Dayton just got a lot more dull.

7. angela

angela New Member

I was sad to wake up today to this news. I know a lot of people aren't sad to see it go but I am. I always thought it looked like it was sculpted from butter. If you have never seen it it person, you cant get a real sense of the actual size. It was huge! I always looked foward to seeing it on my trips from Cincinnati to Dayton.

8. Recovering-Lurker

Recovering-Lurker I'm Back and on My Best Behavior

9. Nova

Nova New Member

To be clear, I was just kidding. I don't have a problem with religious iconography per se, nor do I believe the Creator of an infinite universe spends his time destroying bad art. Unfortunately.

10. WhyaDuck?

WhyaDuck? Inactive

Not sure this could be considered "art" as such... but it certainly was distinctive.

Scared the living crap out of me the first time I saw it - it was dark, and I didn't see the pond, so I thought he was busting up out of the ground.

Now he apparently looks like the Terminator, since all that remains is the metal frame. The church even had a "He'll be Back" sign up!

11. WhyaDuck?

WhyaDuck? Inactive

I'm kind of concerned about how many toxins this thing released into the air as it burned - that much fiberglass and "plastic foam" must have made an awful stink.

12. mazajo

mazajo New Member

Seriously, the thing always gave me the creeps. I am sad to see it go, though. It was definately one of the most interesting landmarks around here. I heard that they are planning to rebuild as soon as possible?

13. WhyaDuck?

WhyaDuck? Inactive

I suspect the Styrofoam molds are still some place, so I am sure they can rebuild.

But I agree whole heartedly - it creeps me out, but I would miss it on my next foray into Ohio if it were gone.

14. montana_16

montana_16 Active Member

When I saw the title I was wondering why Ohio had a landmark for Joe Montana.

15. Nova

Nova New Member

I was wondering how they dared to plagiarize the title "Touchdown Jesus."

Everyone knows the real Touchdown Jesus is at Notre Dame U.

But I don't suppose we can expect people who build statues out of styrofoam to have any respect for history or tradition or taste.

All kidding aside, I'm not opposed to religious art. Nearly all the great Western art for over a thousand years was religious in nature.

It's just sad to see how much the artistic standards of Christianity have declined of late... Just recently I was privileged to encounter the "World's Largest Cross" (well, one of them, since several make that claim) in Southern Illinois off I-70. Help me, Jesus!

http://www.roadsideamerica.com/tip/4116

For the record, I'll admit the plastic "Touchdown Jesus" makes the Illinois cross look tasteful by comparison.

16. arielilane

arielilane Justice for Morgan

17. Gozgals

Gozgals New Member

I saw the beautiful Virgin Mary on the side of the bank building in Clearwater Fl.. I swear it resembled her exactly. Just thought I would add something to this post.

I prayed and prayed as it was so touching and received the answer I needed at that point in my life.

Does anyone know if it is still there?

Goz

18. annmarie62

annmarie62 New Member