OK-13-year-old brutally raped at church camp; 'blind' perp gets probation, Jan. 2018

EuTuCroquet?

“What's happening to my special purpose!?”
Reaction score
I hope I'm doing this correctly! If not, I welcome any correction to the title or getting this into the right forum! Thank you.

Oklahoma man gets probation in brutal rape case

http://www.fox23.com/news/oklahoma/oklahoma-man-gets-probation-in-brutal-rape-case/691475277
An Oklahoma man has been sentenced to 15 years of probation after pleading guilty to brutally raping and sodomizing a 13-year-old Texas girl at a church camp.

The Oklahoman reports that 36-year-old Benjamin Lawrence Petty was given the suspended sentence Jan. 19 after entering a negotiated guilty plea to first-degree rape, forcible sodomy and rape by instrumentation.

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot again!!!
Probation?????

Rapist gets probation for attack on 13-year-old at Baptist church camp in Oklahoma

http://newsok.com/rapist-gets-proba...ptist-church-camp-in-oklahoma/article/5581413

In an unusual plea deal, a Spencer man has been sentenced to 15 years on probation after pleading guilty to brutally raping and sodomizing a 13-year-old girl at Falls Creek church camp.

Benjamin Lawrence Petty, 36, tied rope around the girl's wrists, raped her and then threatened her with physical harm if she told anyone, according to the criminal charge. He was at the camp as a cook at the time of the 2016 offense.

Bruce Robertson, an attorney who is helping represent the victim's interests in a civil case, said the family's consent to the plea agreement came after "the family was told by the district attorney's office that the rapist would not serve any meaningful prison time due to his medical conditions."

"Based on this representation, the family did not object to the probationary sentence," Robertson said. "As a result of the plea, Benjamin Petty has been convicted of three felonies resulting from this incident, in which he bound and raped a 13-year-old, and is required to register as a sex offender for the remainder of his life, providing at least some protection for other potential victims."

attachment.php

Benjamin Lawrence Petty, 36

Attachments

• w640-3059afa94ee3d3c597785ed32164e9c0.jpg
    w640-3059afa94ee3d3c597785ed32164e9c0.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 381
http://kfor.com/2018/01/30/oklahoma...-falls-creek-sentenced-to-15-years-probation/

Court documents show that the victim says that Petty told her he was going to show her how to perform tricks on a device he brought to the camp when he suddenly pulled her into his cabin.

“Petty closed the door to his bedroom, tied [victim’s] hands behind her back, pulled down her jeans, pushed her face down on his bed, and violently raped and sodomized her,” the document states.

Can't say what I'm thinking...

(*vomits*)

I'm glad the district judge rejected the initial request!!

From the NewsOK link (rbbm):

The First Baptist Church of Terrell is named as a defendant in the lawsuit along with the Baptist General Convention of Oklahoma and The Country Estates Baptist Church.

Currently pending in the civil case is a request by attorneys for the Midwest City church to question the rape victim about her "prior history of voluntary sexual activity."

Oklahoma County District Judge Aletia Timmons rejected the initial request, saying, "I don't think it has any — even a scintilla of any relevance to anything."

(snip)

"We are saddened to see that the church has stooped to victim-blaming," Robertson said. "While we will not publicly debate the consensual sexual history, if any, of our teenage client, we fail to understand how the church can conceivably argue that any female's consensual relations are relevant to the trauma suffered as the result of a horrific, violent rape. The church has improperly used information in its motion which we believe is in violation of the court's protective order and we will not comment further at this time."

More from link:

Murray County Assistant District Attorney David Pyle, who negotiated the guilty plea deal, told NewsOK that Petty is “legally blind” which was a major factor in his decision not to insist on prison time.

“The big thing is Mr. Petty is legally blind and the parents (of the victim) live out of state and this little girl lives out of state and didn’t want to make all the travels back and forth,” Pyle said. “The plea was negotiated with their permission.”

bbm

What the hell...

How long before this poor man who is legally blind RAPES another girl? Does he kill the next victim?

Sorry, but I'm ticked!

moo

Here's a little more background.

The victim's family filed a civil suit against a church and Baptist General Convention of Oklahoma back in March, 2017. Here's that story:

http://kfor.com/2017/03/10/victims-...ention-following-alleged-rape-at-falls-creek/
(rbbm)
Now, his alleged victim’s family is suing the church that brought her to the camp from Texas, along with Country Estates Baptist Church in Midwest City and the Baptist General Convention of Oklahoma.

“Minimal effort on the part of the Defendants- before and/or during the camp- would have revealed that Petty was not an appropriate adult candidate to bring to , or remain at, the camp. In fact, Petty was a convicted criminal and it was readily apparent that he was involved in a lifestyle contrary and repugnant to the values espoused by the BGCO, Country Estates, Terrell and Falls Creek,” the lawsuit alleges.

The lawsuit claims Petty was allowed to prey on the victim for days before the alleged rape, spending time alone with her without any supervision.

The Baptist General Convention of Oklahoma told NewsChannel 4 in a statement, “Although Falls Creek is not responsible for the alleged behavior, the allegations are deeply disturbing and we are looking into them.”

I also get that they didn't want to re-traumatize the young victim by making her travel back and forth to Oklahoma from Texas for a trial — but did prosecutors really need her to, anyway?

Legally blind - he was a cook, so if he can cook why can't he go to prison? Don't get it.

Disgusting.

Also, Falls Creek, where the 36-year-old "blind cook" raped and brutalized his victim, is generally known as "the largest youth camp in America."

Heck, I've even been. (But that was a lonnnng time ago, y'all.)

rbbm

https://www.fallscreek.org/

From the official website:

Falls Creek hosts the largest youth camp in the world. It is programmed by the Youth Ministry Staff of the BGCO (Baptist General Convention of Oklahoma).

(snip)
[FONT=&quot]
Nestled in the Arbuckle Mountains in south central Oklahoma, the BGCO Conference Centers of Falls Creek, and sister-site CrossTimbers, combines scenic beauty with modern facilities. Falls Creek is more widely known for hosting the world’s largest youth encampment of its kind each summer.

With more than 50,000 young people attending youth camp every summer, tens of thousands have come to know Christ as their personal Savior.

Thousands more have answered God’s call to full-time ministry on these sacred grounds.

[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]More: [/FONT]https://www.fallscreek.org/about/

Three concurrent 15-year suspended sentences? Is this even remotely typical? (rbbm)

Blind Oklahoma man brutally raped a 13-year-old girl at church camp. He got probation

http://www.kansascity.com/news/nation-world/article197417184.html

Petty, who reportedly had no prior felony convictions, received three 15-year suspended sentences in exchange for his guilty plea, all of which will run concurrently, KFOR reported. He will be required to wear an ankle monitor for 24 months, register as a sex offender and undergo treatment.

Not so "sacred grounds" anymore. Honestly, as Elainera said, "blind cook?"
How can you cook if you're blind for large groups of people? I can understand small groups, but that large a campground?

me thinks there may be some Hepzibah House type vibe:

It dosent look like the state wanted to spend the money to take care of him, due to his handicap.

It dosent look like the state wanted to spend the money to take care of him, due to his handicap.

Agree. Very short sighted if he offends again and the victim's family sues. Not only would we have another victim but someone's pocket book would get hit.

moo

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Autumn.Doe
Back