OK - 1st U.S. execution of '12: was the verdict faulty, the killing in self-defense?

Discussion in 'Past Trial Discussion Threads' started by wfgodot, Jan 6, 2012.

1. wfgodot

wfgodot Former Member

The killing in '94 happened about a mile from me; much discussion here at the time as to whether the incident was one of self-defense. At any rate, questions arise as to whether this was death penalty material. Personally, I never thought so.

Oklahoma inmate put to death for fatal stabbing during 1994 fight; 1st US execution this year (Daily Oklahoman)
    His defiance at the hearing perhaps didn't help matters; whatever the case, though, the vote probably would have remained 3-2:
    Why the charges were capital ones in the first place:
    much more at link above: the Norse chants, the last meal from Long John Silver's, the send-off by fellow death row inmates

2. Loading...

3. krimekat

krimekat Amazed and Baffled

I'm okay with it . . . should do it more often IMHO

4. wfgodot

wfgodot Former Member

In my belief, one should empower the State to do as little killing as possible. This one stretched the limits.

5. wfgodot

wfgodot Former Member

Here's the local paper's account, highlighting the record of another participant who avoided the death penalty:

State Executes Welch (Miami News-Record)
    much more at link above