OK - 5.6 earthquake shakes Oklahoma Saturday: strongest in history of state

Discussion in 'Up to the Minute' started by wfgodot, Nov 6, 2011.

1. wfgodot

wfgodot Former Member

No articles up on this yet, but I felt it here in Ottawa County, in extreme NE Oklahoma; the epicenter appears to have been near Sparks OK (35.5993,-96.7515), about 150 miles southwest of Miami. It happened (or at least rolled in here) about 25 minutes ago.

First strong one I've felt since one in L.A. in 1978, which wasn't quite this strong, or at least didn't feel like it. This one caused a low rumbling sound for several seconds, gave the earth a good shake, and rocked the (heavy) futon my dog and I were on. Bobbles started growling and barking.

Quake map:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=...011+November+06+03:53:10+UTC)&t=h&z=7&iwloc=A

Aha! Finally an article. Very difficult to access Tulsa World or OKC Daily Oklahoman news sites right now, as one would expect.

5.2 earthquake hits central Oklahoma after earlier shakers (MSNBC)

2. Loading...

3. wfgodot

wfgodot Former Member

Another earthquake shakes state (Tulsa World)

more at link above

ETA
    See Dr.Fessel's post below.

4. Dr.Fessel

Dr.Fessel New Member

5. wfgodot

wfgodot Former Member

6. Sooner Fan#1

Sooner Fan#1 Rest in Peace

My husband and I felt it too. Two new ones just updated on "wunderground" weather

7. Dr.Fessel

Dr.Fessel New Member

8. Dr.Fessel

Dr.Fessel New Member

9. wfgodot

wfgodot Former Member

I had my feet up on the (wooden) edge of the futon, just reading, and - shazam! - my feet began to move, and not of my own volition, lol. Then the sound came, rolling across the yard and, with it, the whole futon shook (and my glasses actually did too, producing a sort of dizzy, rippling effect). Then something, probably shingles, fell off the roof, and the dog commenced to caterwauling. Some excitement!

10. hopingicanhelp

hopingicanhelp Well-Known Member

In Wichita KS; son and I up late about an hour ago and felt a rumbling...both of us looked at eachother all confused but then I recalled something in the paper earlier about earthquakes in OK...prior to this have never felt anything like it.

I'm used to tornadoes and protocol with that, but this was just nerve-wracking. It was mild and didn't do anything more than cause us to notice, but stilll....I was wondering what I was supposed to do if it got worse--off to find out all that info!

11. Dr.Fessel

Dr.Fessel New Member

WoW! You will never forget it. Dang world is not supposed to move. LOL

12. Sooner Fan#1

Sooner Fan#1 Rest in Peace

Our bed shook, I asked him to please stop shaking the bed... About the same time, Curt Herbstreit, sports announcer at OSU reported it live on the air.

13. wfgodot

wfgodot Former Member

For a second there, I thought maybe I'd fallen asleep and was dreaming it as a sort of aftermath to reading about yesterday's quakes (which I didn't feel at all here). So I turned the PC back on but no articles were up yet as the two major papers' sites were innundated with viewers trying to discover what the heck that was. A bit surprised people didn't come out of their houses to compare experiences. Sleepy neighborhood though - most were probably already asleep.

14. Liora

Liora New Member

We are in Tahlequah right now and our elderly downstairs neighbor came knocking on the door asking what we were doing thinking we were causing the shaking. She didn't believe us when we said it was an earthquake lol!

15. rachelle

rachelle Member

Felt it here in Joplin Missouri! Couch was vibrating...didn't know what was going on until my sister in Oklahoma called me and told me!

16. momtective

momtective Lifetime WS Non-Mod

Wow...seems like these things are happening more often and in rather unlikely places. I think it was just last month they had a couple in Snyder, Texas (West Texas) and now Oklahoma. Plates are definitely shifting, aren't they. Hope all WS'ers in OK are Okay.

17. Dr.Fessel

Dr.Fessel New Member

18. wfgodot

wfgodot Former Member

Same here on the "okay, what do I do next?" Right after you posted, I had an email from my best friend; he lives in Wichita too, and had much the same reaction. (His subject line borrowed from 'Sanford and Son': "Elizabeth! It's the big one!")

19. Lori_TX

Lori_TX New Member

Wow! I'm all the way down in Fort Worth and I felt it!! It was just a slight shaking for about 30 seconds, but definitely noticeable!! I thought I was losing it for a second there! Hope everyone in OK is okay!!

20. my_tee_mouse

my_tee_mouse Done. Put a Fork in Me.

We felt it (the latest one) here in NW Arkansas. Made the house move to and fro. I've felt a few tremors since then as well. My cat is fussing at me to go to bed. I think NOT!!!! (But...if I had someone to have sex with, I'd have sex so I could say, "Yes, Dear, you made the earth move"). And no, I did not just say that!

21. wfgodot

wfgodot Former Member

Oklahoman finally has its article up:
    Read more: http://newsok.com/5.6-magnitude-earthquake-shakes-oklahoma/article/3620706#ixzz1ctm6WaLF