OK - 5.6 earthquake shakes Oklahoma Saturday: strongest in history of state

Thank you for that highly technical and scientific assessment of the situation. :floorlaugh::floorlaugh: (And yet...so very true!)

I'm just gifted like that...:floorlaugh:

I have poms too...your poor baby, that aftershock just scared the pizzzzz right out of her. Did she freak out during the actual quake? Mine would have still been barking...they bark at the wind. :doh:

I'm glad everyone is OK in OK:)
Isn't it odd that this Wednesday we are having a nationwide three minute Emergency Broadcast drill on the TV and radio. It said it's so that the President can reach us in time of emergency.
When has he tried to reach individuals before? In Joplin, in the floods in East coast? What would they say anyway?
It just seems weird all of a sudden with all of these quakes....

I'm just gifted like that...:floorlaugh:

I have poms too...your poor baby, that aftershock just scared the pizzzzz right out of her. Did she freak out during the actual quake? Mine would have still been barking...they bark at the wind. :doh:

Ironically he didn't bark at all. He just hid under the very heavy coffee table and refused to come out. In retrospect, I should have taken a cue from him and jumped under there with him.

At this very moment my cat is going crazy. That gives me the heebie-jeebies, since "they" say that animals sense things like quakes before we do.

I've felt a couple of little tremors today, but the house hasn't swayed again, thank goodness!

Isn't it odd that this Wednesday we are having a nationwide three minute Emergency Broadcast drill on the TV and radio. It said it's so that the President can reach us in time of emergency.
When has he tried to reach individuals before? In Joplin, in the floods in East coast? What would they say anyway?
It's yet another government conspiracy, I tellya! Well, tell them to go pick on some other states...some less populated...and some where I don't live!!:great::floorlaugh:

i wonder if you guys felt any more shaking through the night? up in kansas my daughter has a cracked ceiling and crooked hanging light fixture so i imagine there was considerable damage closer in. did any of ya'll experience damage in the earthquake?

I should add that I am located in Southeastern Oklahoma. Our homes all have structural damage due to bombs exploding everyday from the army plant. :truce:

Bet you don't hear that everyday. :crazy:

http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=74501

years ago i lived next to the army plant and when i first moved there it freaked me out, every morning at 11am they would explode something. i got used to it but it took awhile. when the windows shook i always looked at the clock to make sure it was 11am and we weren't being attacked :)

Oklahoma's seismic activity may not be over, experts say
---
While scientists cannot predict earthquakes, [Oklahoma Geological Survey research scientist Amie] Gibson said she would be surprised if they suddenly stopped considering the high amount of seismic activity over the weekend.

“With the pattern we're looking at, I don't see it stopping anytime immediately soon. I'd like it to stop, but I don't see that happening right now,” she said.

“We really hope that the 5.6 was the main shock because I don't want to see anything like that again, personally. It would be ignorant to assume anything right now, because who would assume that we'd have the two biggest ones in one day?” Gibson said.
---
more, and with updates on other earthquake-related issues, at Daily Oklahoman link above

Well, if my dog is any predictor, things MAY be settling down a bit. She has been barking at apparently NOTHING for days on end. I began to think she was "seeing ghosts" or something as she would just stand and look at her bowl--with food in it-- and bark as if something was there or moving around it! Today she has been quiet all morning. I thought I was just projecting this as I have read about animal sensitivity to earthquakes, but I heard a lady call in to a radio show this morning and she said exactly the same thing about her dog's behavior!

jmo

Many conspiracy theories about this 'test".....that ALL communications will be shut down including cell phones etc., that the "test" will be far longer than they have said, that the internet will also shut down.......all kinds of ideas. It makes no sense to me to be needed, as all local systems are checked repeatedly and I have never once heard of an instance where the system did NOT work when tested.

jmo

i wonder if you guys felt any more shaking through the night? up in kansas my daughter has a cracked ceiling and crooked hanging light fixture so i imagine there was considerable damage closer in. did any of ya'll experience damage in the earthquake?
I didn't feel anything last night, no. I've only got the little bit of damage previously reported...one little crack in plaster by the front door and my bedroom door off kilter (and one embarrassed Pomeranian). I haven't heard of anyone up here who sustained anything worse than that type of thing.

However if anyone comes in and sees the state of my office...I'm blaming it on the quakes!

Yes definitely one here....different from the last one more up and down and less rumbling than last time......more bumpy I guess and less rolling would be a good description

Just had another VERY BIG shake! Wonder what OK felt if we felt THAT!!!

This one rattled the windows here (about 150 miles from Prague, near where this one also, like the 5.6, originated). Almost an electric feeling, with a hum which seemed to last for some minutes after the rumble & jolt.

Yes this time was definitely different.....I would have guessed almost as strong as the last one but shorter.....so far they still have it as a 4.7 though

This one rattled the windows here (about 150 miles from Prague, near where this one also, like the 5.6, originated). Almost an electric feeling, with a hum which seemed to last for some minutes after the rumble & jolt.

Yeah, this one was more jarring than the Saturday night one (and actually moved perpendicular to the last one), and we had a pretty good-sized aftershock too.

My dog had actually come up here earlier, refused a treat (that should have alerted me) and insisted I go downstairs with him. I assumed he just needed out. Just like Saturday, he got under the heavy coffee table (although he didn't "tinkle" this time). And, as we'd discussed earlier, yes, he'd been barking his head off all day long over seemingly nothing in particular.

Hope we have some numbers coming in soon. The local news reported the size pretty quickly Saturday night.

Prayers and good thoughts for all WSers in the wake of the quakes!!!

In-state today we also have had floods and tornadoes; most of the stronger weather is pushing up to KS and not getting to me here in NE OK - mild intermittent rain all day - but it's a bit disconcerting to hear what, always until now, I could identify as the rumble of thunder in the distance, and now have to wonder if it indeed is thunder, or if it's another earthquake rolling across the state, set to jolt and shake my house.
---
Another earthquake felt in Oklahoma on Monday*evening (Tulsa World)

Another earthquake struck Oklahoma on Monday evening.

The U.S. Geological Survey reports that at 8:46 p.m. a 4.7 magnitude quake struck the same area of central Oklahoma where numerous other earthquakes have struck since this weekend.

The temblor follows a state record-breaking 5.6 magnitude earthquake Saturday night and several others Saturday and Sunday.

Each originated along the Wilzetta fault, also known as the Seminole lift, in central Oklahoma.

Yeah, this one was more jarring than the Saturday night one (and actually moved perpendicular to the last one), and we had a pretty good-sized aftershock too.

My dog had actually come up here earlier, refused a treat (that should have alerted me) and insisted I go downstairs with him. I assumed he just needed out. Just like Saturday, he got under the heavy coffee table (although he didn't "tinkle" this time). And, as we'd discussed earlier, yes, he'd been barking his head off all day long over seemingly nothing in particular.

Hope we have some numbers coming in soon. The local news reported the size pretty quickly Saturday night.

Prayers and good thoughts for all WSers in the wake of the quakes!!!

Did you feel the first 4.7 the day before the big one?

Yes this time was definitely different.....I would have guessed almost as strong as the last one but shorter.....so far they still have it as a 4.7 though

It definitely felt stronger to me...and different...more jarring, less swaying.

Here is Doc's link to report what you felt:

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/dyfi/events/us/b0006klz/us/index.html

And wfgodot, is it possible for you to update the thread title so folks know there's been new activity?

I've got to say that it is comforting to be able to come on here and share with others who are experiencing these events. My brother's no help. When tonight's hit, he called and screamed, "Holy ###!!!*** ##***!!! ***&&&###..." well you get the drift!

Did you feel the first 4.7 the day before the big one?
I felt the one Saturday night (about 10:57-ish) and it's aftershocks. And then tonight's around 8:50-ish and two mild aftershocks since.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back