Carol, circa 1958
  • Missing Since 05/31/1958
  • Missing From Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
  • Classification Endangered Missing
  • Sex Female
  • Race White
  • Age 19 years old
  • Height and Weight 5'5, 115 pounds
  • Clothing/Jewelry Description A beige suit, high-heeled shoes, a yellow Proviso Township High School class of 1956 ring with a black stone on her right hand, and a wedding band with thirteen engraved stars and "DB to CH -5/17/58" engraved on the inside of the band. Carrying a small white purse.
  • Distinguishing Characteristics Caucasian female. Brown hair, brown eyes. Carol has an oval-shaped scar on her wrist, about one inch by one inch in size. Her maiden name is Hlvac.
Details of Disappearance

Carol was last seen waiting for a bus outside the Crown Motel in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma at 3:35 p.m. on May 31, 1958. She was going to take a bus the nearby naval air technical training center where her husband worked; they were going to go to Norman, Oklahoma together to look for an apartment. She never got on the bus and has never been heard from again.

Carol staying in the Crown Motel with her husband, 18-year-old Dennis E. Batterman. They grew up in Westchester, Illinois, a suburb of Chicago, and were high school sweethearts who married just two weeks prior to her disappearance. Carol wrote a letter to her parents the night before she disappeared, saying she was happy in her marriage. She left her luggage, clothing, makeup, jewelry and $100 in cash behind in their motel room, but she may have been carrying up to $35 in cash at the time of her disappearance.

A witness reported seeing a gray pickup truck, possibly a 1953 Ford, stop at the curb near Carol shortly before she disappeared. The witness saw Carol standing beside the open door of the truck, talking to the driver, who was described as a 40-year-old male, about six feet tall with a slender build. He wore khaki clothes and a large Western-type straw hat.

The witness got distracted for a moment and when he looked again, both Carol and the truck were gone. It's unclear whether this truck had anything to do with her disappearance; no one actually saw Carol get into it.

Authorities believe Carol was taken against her will, and Dennis is not considered a suspect in her disappearance. When he was interviewed by a newspaper in 1961, Dennis said he was still hoping Carol might return and they could begin their life together. Her case remains unsolved.

Investigating Agency
  • Cleveland County Sheriff's Office 405-701-8888
Source Information

Last edited:
carol_ann_batterman_1.jpg

carol_ann_batterman_2.jpg

Carol Ann Batterman was 19 years old when she was last seen waiting the bus outside the Crown Motel May 31st, 1958. Carol Ann was headed to meet her husband Dennis E. Batterman at the naval air technical training center where he worked. The two where going to go to Norman to look at an apartment.

All accounts lead to the belief that Carol Ann did not planning to leave. She wrote a letter to her parents back in Westchester, Illinois the night before she went missing, stating she was happy in her marriage of 2 weeks. She also left behind her luggage, clothing, makeup, and $100 in cash in the motel room her and Dennis where staying in.

A witness reported a grey truck, possibly a 1953 Ford, stopped at the curb in front of the Crown Motel. Carol was seen standing at the open truck door talking with the drive. The drive was described as a 40 year old male, approximately 6 feet tall with a slender build.

The witness stated that they became distracted and when they looked back toward the area, the truck and Carol where gone. Carol never got on the bus and has not been seen since.

Dennis has not been considered a suspect in Carol’s disappearance. The authorities believe Carol was taken against her will and consider her endangered missing.

Carol’s 5’ 5”, 115 pounds, Caucasian female with long brown hair, and brown eyes. She has freckles on her nose and forehead. She also has a 1” x 1” oval shaped scar on her left wrist. She was last seen with a small white purse, wearing a beige suit, high-heeled shoes, a yellow Proviso Township High School class of 1956 ring with a black stone on her right hand, and a wedding band with thirteen engraved stars and "DB to CH -5/17/58" engraved on the inside of the band.

If you have any information regarding the disappearance of Carol Ann Batterman, please call the Cleveland County Sheriff's Office at 405-701-8888.

Information Source(s):

NamUs #MP21701

Carol Ann Batterman – The Charley Project

Carol Ann Batterman — Oklahoma Cold Cases

Carol's NamUs profile was modified on 7/11/22
She currently has 18 rule outs listed

UP8419
01/16/2001
Isle of Wight
VA

UP8761
11/14/2007
Pottawatomie
OK

UP15394
02/05/1975
Cuyahoga
OH

UP4790
04/24/1981
Miami
OH

UP5556
05/30/1976
Virginia Beach
VA

UP8579
01/25/1981
Hanover
VA

UP6482
12/30/1979
Frederick
VA

UP12683
06/06/2014
Newport News
VA

UP3153
04/19/1981
Will
IL

UP6661
02/03/1991
Stafford
VA

UP6642
08/07/1986
Chesterfield
VA

UP6796
11/18/1985
Alleghany
VA

UP6303
01/26/1997
Warren
VA

UP5211
09/30/1968
Will
IL

UP7228
10/25/1965
Pima
AZ

UP6249
11/14/1980
Rockingham
VA

UP6629
02/03/1991
Frederick
VA

UP8493
12/06/1993
Fairfax
VA

Does anyone think she could be Little Miss X?
Original

A friend of mine and I have been working super hard to try and get Little Miss X solved and we stumbled across Carol. Table:
Carol Batterman MP21701Little Miss X (1958) UP9859Possible?
SexFemaleFemaleMatch
RaceWhite/CaucasianWhite/HispanicMatch/Possible
Age1911-17 (Doe Network Estimate)Possible
Height5'5"5'0"-5'3"Possible. (Tests were done in the early 70s at latest and Carol's height may be estimated.)
Weight115lbs105lbsMatch/Possible
Hair ColorBrownBrown/AuburnPossible
Eye ColorBrownUnknownPossible
Estimated D.O.D/D.L.CMay 31, 19581957Possible
Distinctive FeaturesOval scar in left of wristUnknown/None (Skeletal Remains)Match/Possible
CircumstancesLast seen waiting for busFound in Grand Canyon, AZStretching
DistanceOKC/Moore-Grand Canyon961 miles (14hr 12min)Stretching
The heavy eyebrows on Carol caught me as odd as Little Miss X has the same type of eyebrows. Eyebrows can be somewhat estimated from the shape of the skull. Let me know what you think!

Original

A friend of mine and I have been working super hard to try and get Little Miss X solved and we stumbled across Carol. Table:
SexFemaleFemaleMatch
Height5'5"5'0"-5'3"Possible. (Tests were done in the early 70s at latest and Carol's height may be estimated.)
Distinctive FeaturesOval scar in left of wristUnknown/None (Skeletal Remains)Match/Possible
The heavy eyebrows on Carol caught me as odd as Little Miss X has the same type of eyebrows. Eyebrows can be somewhat estimated from the shape of the skull. Let me know what you think!
Maybe? But given the distance and how mature Carol looks in her photos, I sort of tend to doubt it. I know that Latina/Hispanic can look like a lot of things, but if Little Miss X was thought to be potentially hispanic, I think she probably had some skeletal signs of being possibly part indigenous to Central/South America (which would also go along with her height), and I don't see that as a great match to the way Carol appears in her photos. A lot aligns, though!

Maybe? But given the distance and how mature Carol looks in her photos, I sort of tend to doubt it. I know that Latina/Hispanic can look like a lot of things, but if Little Miss X was thought to be potentially hispanic, I think she probably had some skeletal signs of being possibly part indigenous to Central/South America (which would also go along with her height), and I don't see that as a great match to the way Carol appears in her photos. A lot aligns, though!
I feel like much is up to interpretation here. Girls who have no Hispanic blood have been heavily considered before. Not to mention how inaccurate these might be as this was in the very early 70s at the latest. There was also much speculation going on with the nail file she was found with. I came up with a very loose theory that instead of reading "P+R" it read "B+H", The surnames of Carol and her husband. They were known to do stuff like this as they engraved something similar inside their wedding band.

I feel like much is up to interpretation here. Girls who have no Hispanic blood have been heavily considered before. Not to mention how inaccurate these might be as this was in the very early 70s at the latest. There was also much speculation going on with the nail file she was found with. I came up with a very loose theory that instead of reading "P+R" it read "B+H", The surnames of Carol and her husband. They were known to do stuff like this as they engraved something similar inside their wedding band.
I have a very dark olive complexion and most people assume I am either Hispanic, Latin or mixed, while my full blood sister is blonde, green eyed and pale. My family comes mostly from Switzerland and a few other European countries. Little miss x could be anyone from anywhere.

Original

SexFemaleFemaleMatch
Here is the Little Miss X thread:

@Caring1 Hey could you post the NamUs exclusion list for Carol Batterman? It is to know if the list of exclusions has been updated in this October.

Wait— was Carol’s husband the high school sweetheart or was her ex boyfriend the hs sweetheart? I’ve seen both reported ..

Wait— was Carol’s husband the high school sweetheart or was her ex boyfriend the hs sweetheart? I’ve seen both reported ..
The link I posted at #21 above clarifies this. The original high school sweetheart was Joseph Pohl rather than the husband and Ancestry records also show them as classmates at high school. I suspect the confusion arises because the husband attended the same school and so it could be said that both meet the description - but Pohl seems to have been the original followed by Batterman.

I have the impression that, as she said in her letter, she was happy but she needed something else. She felt too young, perhaps to be married or she met someone who caught her attention. It could also be that the letter sent to her parents is false and is to mislead or Her husband organized her disappearance and in order not to appear suspicious, he said in the interview that he hoped she would return one day...
Whatever she is, she rests in peace.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back