OK - Courthouse closes early due to bed bugs falling from lawyer's clothing, Rogers Co., 4 Feb 2019

Discussion in 'Bizarre and Off-Beat News' started by cybervampira, Feb 5, 2019.

1. cybervampira

cybervampira Well-Known Member

Oklahoma courthouse closes for the day after BEDBUGS are spotted on a lawyer's clothes | Daily Mail Online

A courthouse in Oklahoma was forced to shut its doors for the day on Monday after bedbugs were seen falling from an attorney's suit.

The Rogers County Courthouse in Claremore closed at 12pm for reasons of public safety as a result of the stomach-turning discovery.

Rogers County Sheriff Scott Walton said an unnamed lawyer was in third-floor during a docket call at 10.30am courtroom when another visitor noticed what appeared to be bedbugs crawling on his neck.

Sgt Mike Clarke, the head of security at the courthouse, told 23ABC News the attorney in question appeared unfazed by the presence of the revolting critters on his body and clothes.

As a result of the infestation, the courthouse was evacuated as a precaution and exterminators were called in to rid the 90,000-square-foot building of the blood-sucking insects.

Bedbug discovery leads to closure of courthouse

Lawyer with bed bugs falling out of clothing causes Rogers County Courthouse to close early Monday

Indy Anna, silverjug, LadyL and 3 others like this.
  2. Penny Parker

Penny Parker Well-Known Member

3. JudgeJoe

JudgeJoe Well-Known Member

3 guesses...

Public defenders really need a salary increase?

Local jail needs an exterminator?

Really clever maneuver to circumvent legal procces & buy extra time?

4. LadyL

LadyL Well-Known Member

didn't realize bedbugs were big enough to see
    I thought they were microscopic

Elainera and cybervampira like this.
  5. Elainera

Elainera Well-Known Member

Very small but not microscopic. From Wikipedia:

"Their size ranges between 1 and 7 mm."

Bed bug - Wikipedia

Lovely picture there too. They look like tiny little cockroaches.

So this lawyer sleeps in his suit?

6. Tbone144

Tbone144 Well-Known Member

Pretty common that they’ll hitchhike in peoples clothing from my understanding. There is a really informative Facebook page out there about bugs and the pros can give good tips on avoiding them when you travel (don’t know if I can mention it though). Before I bring my bags completely into a hotel room (leave them in bathroom) I check the beds for signs of bed bugs. There are lots of pictures and the adults can be pretty good sized. Gives me the creeps thinking about it.

7. Elisaa444

Elisaa444 Informer

Yes! I do those same things. A few years ago my sister got a "good deal" on a returned headboard from a local furniture store. She already had a mattress, she only bought the headboard. Turns out it wasn't such a good deal because she found out soon after that bedbugs were carried over on the headboard. I lived 1000 miles from her at the time. She called me to tell me how much it was costing her to get rid of them. Everything she described about her situation with these bugs creeped me out. Even being 1000 miles away I was still itching and checking my own bed for them. Now I'm very cautious when I travel. Those things are hard to get rid of. :eek::eek:

8. Rachel1

Rachel1 Well-Known Member

I'm suddenly itching and queasy. Eww

9. Vedder

Vedder John 3:16

Ughhhh skeeved!
    I might be a little extra, but if I'm somewhere such as the hair salon where I hang my coat, I never hang it next to another coat. I hang it off the end. Just in case. :eek:

Elainera and cybervampira like this.
  10. charminglane

charminglane Helcat!

Had some in library books that were returned. I picked them up with tweezers and froze the evidence.
    Banned from the premises.
    I call these patrons Itchy & Scratchy.

11. moonriverfarm

moonriverfarm Well-Known Member

They have, I believe, been found in 80 percent of hotels, from zero to five star.