OK - Murrah Building bombing, Oklahoma City, 19 April 1995

It seems unreal that it was 17 years ago, it feels like it happened last week.

I went to the memorial about 10 years ago, we just walked around the outside, it was very emotional. I'd like to go back to the museum sometime.

i worked for GSA at that time and worked in the Federal courthouse in Camden, NJ. i remember many of us sitting in a huge conference room watching it on a TV brought in for us to watch. we were locked in and no one was allowed in nor out for a while.

When I found out about the bombing, I was eating lunch in my elementary school cafeteria. I was seven years old and remember distinctly that I was confused about what a Ryder truck had to do with a bomb. I guess I thought all bombs looked like cartoons - black spheres with long fuses.

So often, anniversaries like this turn into more of a two minutes hate of sorts for the perpetrator than a remembrance of the victims. It would be a good thing if everyone FORGOT Timothy McVeigh and instead focused on 168 innocent people who went to live out their lives that morning just like so many mornings before. Honestly, forgive my language, but screw Timothy McVeigh. He doesn't deserve the energy it takes for one neuron to fire in formulating a thought about him.

“If I die a violent death, as some fear and a few are plotting, I know that the violence will be in the thought and the action of the assassins, not in my dying.” - Indira Gandhi

I remember well. A tragic day for the USA. A sad time for all. Blessings to the victims,
their families and to the USA.

Rest in Peace.
We will never forget.

Amen
Goz

Never forget.

My oldest was 4 months old and I just remember holding him and crying. It felt like the world was ending.

:cry:

I remember I was pregnant with my oldest and was home sick that day. I woke up to the news. I felt similar to you. . .wondering what kind of world I was bringing my child into. I was glued to the coverage that day. Remember the man that crawled out from under his desk, or the first responders carrying the children? :(

It was a sad day.

OT but I promise no more pregnancies for me. I was pregnant with my youngest when 9/11 happened. I actually was paid to participate in a market research panel the following week, because I was pregnant. That tragedy really did make me worry about what kind of world I was bringing a child into. :(

When I found out about the bombing, I was eating lunch in my elementary school cafeteria. I was seven years old and remember distinctly that I was confused about what a Ryder truck had to do with a bomb. I guess I thought all bombs looked like cartoons - black spheres with long fuses.

So often, anniversaries like this turn into more of a two minutes hate of sorts for the perpetrator than a remembrance of the victims. It would be a good thing if everyone FORGOT Timothy McVeigh and instead focused on 168 innocent people who went to live out their lives that morning just like so many mornings before. Honestly, forgive my language, but screw Timothy McVeigh. He doesn't deserve the energy it takes for one neuron to fire in formulating a thought about him.

“If I die a violent death, as some fear and a few are plotting, I know that the violence will be in the thought and the action of the assassins, not in my dying.” - Indira Gandhi

I was a little younger than you (six years old) and I distinctly remember being home and seeing live footage of the truck (Was it red? I honestly don't remember) driving onto the premises.

I believe he was actually executed here in Evansville, but I'm not sure.

Daily Mail:

'It gets harder every year, but this is the worst': 20 years on from Oklahoma City bombing, mother of the lifeless little girl in THAT photo on the day her daughter would have turned 21

⁍ It is 20 years since the worst case of homegrown terrorism in US history
⁍ Timothy McVeigh killed 168 people with bomb in Oklahoma City in 1995
⁍ Terror was encapsulated by photo of a firefighter carrying a lifeless baby
⁍ That baby was Baylee Almon, who had turned one the day before
⁍ Nearing what would have been her 21st, mother tells how she marks birthday
⁍ But says she will never get over the pain of seeing that photograph
⁍ She is still in touch with the firefighter who was pictured with the baby
the story with pictures at link above

I was on the phone with someone who was down the street from the Murrah building when the blast occurred. Their windows were blown in while we were speaking. I will never forget it, but when I saw that photo the next day the world rocked for a bit.

From the 17th anniversary thread:

I was in the City about a week after the bombing. The Murrah Building still stood, its face blown off. I'm rarely speechless but seeing the destruction hatred caused really left me in a dark silence, brooding. Where there's sorrow there is holy ground, and the ground where the Murrah once stood is sanctified by the deaths of the innocent. We must never forget the cost of terror, or those who died on 19 April 1995 will have died in vain; we can't allow that to happen.
and
It seems like yesterday; and it seems so long ago. I remember my colleague Bob getting a phone call from one of our former students from OKC, calling from there with the breaking news. My building didn't even have cable, so the third floor faculty watched the horror unfold on a 12" black and white TV with an iffy antenna, teachers getting out of class replacing others on their way to class, huddled around the set. It was shocking; it was unreal; it was in our state, and less than 200 miles away.

'We all remember what we were doing. It is the Pearl Harbor Day of Oklahoma.

'This was a scar and never-ending wrong that affected not only Oklahoma City and the people there but the nation at large.'
Yep.

(From Mail link in OP.)

I remember talking on the phone that day to all my Oklahoma friends. It was as if we were watching it but we could not take it in and make sense of what we were seeing, not emotionally. I had classes that night and when I arrived that evening people were discussing if it was Middle Easterners or who or what group may be involved. I had last heard on the radio that LE was looking for two Caucasian males. Everybody got really quiet as we thought about what it meant that one of our own citizens might have done this. The pic of Bailey Almon & the freighter was on the front page of most papers on April 20, 1995. In the US, at least.

I saw this lady being interviewed on Fox News I felt so sad for her the interview was understandably very emotional to do. She said that she lived her life knowing her daughter was watching and wanted to make her proud I found that inspiring.

I can't imagine the horror of that day all the poor men, women and children. I hope the monster that did this is in hell where he belongs.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ther-mark-20-years-Oklahoma-City-bombing.html
In the two decades since, Oklahomans have earned a reputation for compassion in the wake of the bombing - a sense of charity that came to be known as 'The Oklahoma Standard'.
They were, Clinton recalls, some of the first responders to reach New York City after the Twin Towers fell.
'For 20 years you have honored the memories of your loved ones, you have inspired us with the power of your renewal, you have reminded us that we should all live by the Oklahoma Standard,' Clinton said.

Many prayers for the survivors and families of the victims....

:rose:

Oklahoma City museum looking for protected witness

OKLAHOMA CITY — Representatives of the Oklahoma City Bombing Memorial and Museum have been privately seeking the cooperation of a convicted associate of Timothy McVeigh, now believed to be hidden in the government's witness protection program.
Museum officials have contacted the U.S. Marshal's Service, which manages the secret program, for assistance in soliciting an oral history from Michael Fortier that would outline his relationship with the bomber and his fateful decision not to alert authorities prior to the attack, said Kerri Watkins, the memorial's executive director.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ng-oklahoma-city-witness-protection/25932231/

I had several little babies 20 years ago and I will never forget the picture of that sweet child and the fireman. I cried then every time I saw her in photographs and I cried again today. Sending out love and prayer to all who suffered and are close to this event.

JMO

I proudly wore my U of O tee shirt all day today. No, I am not from OK. Did not go to school at U of O.

But I have had this shirt for many years and thought today was a fine day to walk about with "OKLAHOMA" emblazoned across my shirt.

---
After the ceremony, Helena Garrett was able to smile as she recalled her son’s giggle and his hugs. Tevin was just 16 months old when he died.

“I miss everything about him,” Garrett said, standing near a bronze-backed chair bearing Tevin’s name at the Oklahoma City National Memorial. Usually the chairs are empty, but Sunday they were decorated with flowers, balloons, stuffed animals and notes left by loved ones.

A teddy bear, an angel, photographs and yellow and purple flowers rested in Tevin’s chair.
---
Oklahoma City marks 20th anniversary of bombing at memorial (Sunday Oklahoman)

more at link

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa
Back