OK OK - Stephen “Steve” Lee Murphy, last seen in Claremore sometime in 1976, not reported missing until July 2022

Wow...I thought I would start searching newspapers and it would take hours to find anything. I don't know what to think and I am only a couple pages of results in....It was crazy at Camp P around the time of Steve's disappearance.

Major Occurrence #1 - There were reports of Marines being part of the KKK. A group of black soldiers attempted to attack the "KKK" group, but attacked an innocent group of soldiers instead. It was Stephen's unit that was attacked, but there were approximately 5,000 men in that unit at the time and 20,000 total at the base.

Attachments

• The_Los_Angeles_Times_Thu__Nov_25__1976_.jpg
    The_Los_Angeles_Times_Thu__Nov_25__1976_.jpg
    145.5 KB · Views: 30
  • The_Los_Angeles_Times_Tue__Nov_16__1976_.jpg
    The_Los_Angeles_Times_Tue__Nov_16__1976_.jpg
    127.9 KB · Views: 27
  • The_Los_Angeles_Times_Sun__Nov_28__1976_.jpg
    The_Los_Angeles_Times_Sun__Nov_28__1976_.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 24
  • Camp_Pendleton_attacks_Part_2.jpg
    Camp_Pendleton_attacks_Part_2.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
@megs1477 , to me that's all kinds of wild!

I'd sure want out....
Right?!?!
My head is reeling with possibilities. What if Steve was one of those beat up? Could he have had a lingering head injury, got confused and wandered into the desert?
Or, did he get pulled into the K group? He was one of the newer guys on base. Young, southern boy, could be a prime recruit. After attacking the wrong group, they could have come after the right one.
Or, was he young and naïve and possibly was seen associating with the wrong person?

If he was caught up in the base race war, he could have run from it, or been a victim of it.
He also could have had the same problems related to the town, which doesn't sound like a safe, happy place. There were mentions of his unit having to serve as law enforcement.

I still have a lot to go through, but my brain was on overload and I had to take a break for a minute. Crazy place that Camp Pendleton!

Hello Sleuthers,

Earlier today a friend sent me a message asking for help doing research on a missing person (the father of her friend). He was last seen in Claremore Oklahoma sometime in 1976. For a multitude of reasons, a missing persons report was not filed until last week in Tulsa.

STEPHEN "STEVE" LEE MURPHY
DOB: April 5, 1957 in Claremore Oklahoma

5’4”-5’7” 140-180lbs Brown hair, brown eyes

MOTHER: Mary Jane Hamm
FATHER: Tommy Wayne Murphy.

A.G. Bell junior high school 1970-1972, Tulsa, OK
Will Rogers High School graduate 1975, Tulsa, OK- DECA, Chess Club, Martial Arts, brought bible to school daily per classmate’s report. Went by "Steve"

Married June 2 1975 to in Tulsa. His uncle hadn't heard from him since about 1976. When my mother filed for divorce she had to put it in the newspaper as he couldn't be located, 1980 in the Tulsa Tribune, July 18,25, August 1, 8 publication.

MP’s mother reportedly told his siblings that “he went into the Marines and escaped still with handcuffs on and therefore went AWOL never seen again”.. When they asked about his whereabouts.

Where is Stephen Lee Murphy?

Hello Sleuthers,

Earlier today a friend sent me a message asking for help doing research on a missing person (the father of her friend). He was last seen in Claremore Oklahoma sometime in 1976. For a multitude of reasons, a missing persons report was not filed until last week in Tulsa.

Will Rogers High School graduate 1975, Tulsa, OK- DECA, Chess Club, Martial Arts, brought bible to school daily per classmate’s report. Went by "Steve"

Married June 2 1975 to in Tulsa. His uncle hadn't heard from him since about 1976. When my mother filed for divorce she had to put it in the newspaper as he couldn't be located, 1980 in the Tulsa Tribune, July 18,25, August 1, 8 publication.

MP’s mother reportedly told his siblings that “he went into the Marines and escaped still with handcuffs on and therefore went AWOL never seen again”.. When they asked about his whereabouts.

Hello Sleuthers,

I did an address search says he live south 77th east ave.tulsa Oklahoma

I found multiple people who served at the same time as Steve and sent them to @Snoangel26. Since they are not involved in the case, I did not post them here. From what I have read, they will not release anything beyond what I received without proof of death. I received that they would have sent to a family member. Technically, I should not have received anything.
I am grateful for what you were able to get. I'm looking for ways to contact those names.

I am grateful for what you were able to get. I'm looking for ways to contact those names.
Sorry, I probably didn’t word what I said well. While it doesn’t hurt to try, it is very unlikely you will receive anything more than what I got without LE involved or proof of death. They are huge on protecting privacy.
We will figure it out. I reached out to a couple people for guidance.

Another question. Have you submitted him to Doenetwork?

We need someone with military experience to answer some questions. I am going to try and track someone down.
If he was "nabbed", could he have been thrown in the brig for the next 7 years?

View attachment 397076

@Boxer Sorry, Boxer, you're the only veteran poster I remember! Please feel free to call others with knowledge -- we're trying to find this young person's Dad.

Weren't a Marine in the '70's by chance, were you???

Sorry, I probably didn’t word what I said well. While it doesn’t hurt to try, it is very unlikely you will receive anything more than what I got without LE involved or proof of death. They are huge on protecting privacy.

I am waiting for the detective to give me something. It just seems that he isn't really into working the case. I've thought about declaring him dead so I could get the records. I'm not sure how to submit him to the doenetwork.

I am waiting for the detective to give me something. It just seems that he isn't really into working the case. I've thought about declaring him dead so I could get the records. I'm not sure how to submit him to the doenetwork.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back