OK OK - Stephen “Steve” Lee Murphy, last seen in Claremore sometime in 1976, not reported missing until July 2022

subaw0067

Reaction score
Hello Sleuthers,

Earlier today a friend sent me a message asking for help doing research on a missing person (the father of her friend). He was last seen in Claremore Oklahoma sometime in 1976. For a multitude of reasons, a missing persons report was not filed until last week in Tulsa.

STEPHEN "STEVE" LEE MURPHY
DOB: April 5, 1957 in Claremore Oklahoma

5’4”-5’7” 140-180lbs Brown hair, brown eyes

MOTHER: Mary Jane Hamm
FATHER: Tommy Wayne Murphy.

A.G. Bell junior high school 1970-1972, Tulsa, OK
Will Rogers High School graduate 1975, Tulsa, OK- DECA, Chess Club, Martial Arts, brought bible to school daily per classmate’s report. Went by "Steve"

Married June 2 1975 to in Tulsa. His uncle hadn't heard from him since about 1976. When my mother filed for divorce she had to put it in the newspaper as he couldn't be located, 1980 in the Tulsa Tribune, July 18,25, August 1, 8 publication.

MP’s mother reportedly told his siblings that “he went into the Marines and escaped still with handcuffs on and therefore went AWOL never seen again”.. When they asked about his whereabouts.

Where is Stephen Lee Murphy?

Attachments

• sssmal.png
    sssmal.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 58
If your friend knows anything at all about where he served or in what capacity, sometimes reaching out to others who served at the same time and location can be helpful, via either an open letter online or submitted to an online group.

On the History Hub Geneology page someone claiming to be a child of his posted about his being missing in 2020. I'll not link as it's not verified. As to the military records - the person looking for him can request a copy of his Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs and medical records of officers and enlisted personnel of the U.S. Marine Corps who were separated from service after 1958 and prior to May 1994 are located at NARA's National Personnel Records Center (NRPC), (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO 63138-1002. To request these records, please mail a completed GSA Standard Form 180 to NPRC. Certain information in the records is not available to the general public without the written consent of the veteran or his next of kin. (hopefully, my links work but if not you've got the basic info to request records if they can be done so).

On the History Hub Geneology page someone claiming to be a child of his posted about his being missing in 2020. I'll not link as it's not verified. As to the military records - the person looking for him can request a copy of his Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs and medical records of officers and enlisted personnel of the U.S. Marine Corps who were separated from service after 1958 and prior to May 1994 are located at NARA's National Personnel Records Center (NRPC), (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO 63138-1002. To request these records, please mail a completed GSA Standard Form 180 to NPRC. Certain information in the records is not available to the general public without the written consent of the veteran or his next of kin. (hopefully, my links work but if not you've got the basic info to request records if they can be done so).
The daughter cannot find a social security number or a service number which is needed to fulfill the request

Hello Sleuthers,

Earlier today a friend sent me a message asking for help doing research on a missing person (the father of her friend). He was last seen in Claremore Oklahoma sometime in 1976. For a multitude of reasons, a missing persons report was not filed until last week in Tulsa.

STEPHEN "STEVE" LEE MURPHY
DOB: April 5, 1957 in Claremore Oklahoma

5’4”-5’7” 140-180lbs Brown hair, brown eyes

MOTHER: Mary Jane Hamm
FATHER: Tommy Wayne Murphy.

A.G. Bell junior high school 1970-1972, Tulsa, OK
Will Rogers High School graduate 1975, Tulsa, OK- DECA, Chess Club, Martial Arts, brought bible to school daily per classmate’s report. Went by "Steve"

Married June 2 1975 to in Tulsa. His uncle hadn't heard from him since about 1976. When my mother filed for divorce she had to put it in the newspaper as he couldn't be located, 1980 in the Tulsa Tribune, July 18,25, August 1, 8 publication.

MP’s mother reportedly told his siblings that “he went into the Marines and escaped still with handcuffs on and therefore went AWOL never seen again”.. When they asked about his whereabouts.

Where is Stephen Lee Murphy?

Was this person able to get his Office Military Personnel File?

I was not able to get his OMPF as I don't have a SSN or service number.

Well, I tried deep diving on https://aad.archives.gov/aad/# as I've been able to obtain SSNs for deceased family members who were in the services there before, but I'm not able to locate any records for Steven / Steve / Stephen / S Murphy with that birthdate. Also tried searching combo of his parent's last names and didn't find any useful matches there either. Just sharing to potentially save someone else time if they get the same idea.

Have you attempted filing a request with the SSA for his SSN? If you provide his name, DOB, place of birth, and both parent's names, and pay a fee, they'll at least be able to see if he's already been reported as deceased - if he has then they should be able to release social security records for him. If he's not listed as deceased they won't be able to do anything (for obvious security reasons), but it might be worth a try in case he's already been declared deceased. https://www.ssa.gov/forms/ssa-711.pdf

Have you attempted filing a request with the SSA for his SSN? If you provide his name, DOB, place of birth, and both parent's names, and pay a fee, they'll at least be able to see if he's already been reported as deceased - if he has then they should be able to release social security records for him. If he's not listed as deceased they won't be able to do anything (for obvious security reasons), but it might be worth a try in case he's already been declared deceased. https://www.ssa.gov/forms/ssa-711.pdf
I think I did try it. I'll have go look back at everything I've gotten back. Thank you

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SashaRhea82
Back