OK OK - Stephen “Steve” Lee Murphy, last seen in Claremore sometime in 1976, not reported missing until July 2022

Excellent contribution! I've bookmarked this page for future use - I hadn't tracked down a Marine-specific search option before (the only Marine in my family is still living so I hadn't had reason to look for this - all my deceased relatives were members of other service branches).

I found out he was in the Marine Corps from June 1975 to February 1984 with discharge of AWOL and misconduct. Leaving with E2 and not progressing.
So now we at least have reason to suspect that he could have been alive and well through '84, and an entirely different location to search, that will narrow down Doe searches a tiny bit at least. Have you joined any Facebook groups for Marine vets to tell your story there? Now that you might have a little extra information about where and when he might have been serving, maybe there is a chance that someone in one of those groups might remember him or have more ideas. The largest group looks to have over 127,000 members in it: USMC Vets.Marine Corps Veterans | Facebook

Excellent contribution! I've bookmarked this page for future use - I hadn't tracked down a Marine-specific search option before (the only Marine in my family is still living so I hadn't had reason to look for this - all my deceased relatives were members of other service branches).

So now we at least have reason to suspect that he could have been alive and well through '84, and an entirely different location to search, that will narrow down Doe searches a tiny bit at least. Have you joined any Facebook groups for Marine vets to tell your story there? Now that you might have a little extra information about where and when he might have been serving, maybe there is a chance that someone in one of those groups might remember him or have more ideas. The largest group looks to have over 127,000 members in it: USMC Vets.Marine Corps Veterans | Facebook
I'll join there and see what I can find. Thank you so much.

Also @Snoangel26 was the 1984 AWOL year something you are speculating based on information obtained after checking the sites provided by by OddOneOut, or did you figure the year out from another source? Asking for clarification because I hadn't seen you mention 1984 previously. Trying to understand whether this date is associated with the person who was potentially a helicopter mechanic or if the person OOO mentioned or if that date came from elsewhere.

Also @Snoangel26 was the 1984 AWOL year something you are speculating based on information obtained after checking the sites provided by by OddOneOut, or did you figure the year out from another source? Asking for clarification because I hadn't seen you mention 1984 previously. Trying to understand whether this date is associated with the person who was potentially a helicopter mechanic or if the person OOO mentioned or if that date came from elsewhere.
The detective which I filed missing person report with gave me the dates for his service and why he was discharged. The detective also requested his military record.

Also going to re-tag @apearn in case they stopped checking in on this thread, now that there is a reason to suspect that Steven went missing in 1984... it would be odd for a Marine who was 20-30 years old in the 80s to have a tattoo suggesting they'd been a Paratrooper.. but we can't know for sure why PJD1984 had the tattoos he had, either. Steven isn't a striking match for the PJD1984 (his photos are at an angle and his haircut in them obscures his hairline) but he had brown eyes, wasn't far off the height estimate, weight range would fit. A really long shot, but do we know of any members of Steven's family (maybe who served in WWII) who might have been Paratroopers?

Also going to re-tag @apearn in case they stopped checking in on this thread, now that there is a reason to suspect that Steven went missing in 1984... it would be odd for a Marine who was 20-30 years old in the 80s to have a tattoo suggesting they'd been a Paratrooper.. but we can't know for sure why PJD1984 had the tattoos he had, either. Steven isn't a striking match for the PJD1984 (his photos are at an angle and his haircut in them obscures his hairline) but he had brown eyes, wasn't too much taller than the estimate, weight range would fit. A really long shot, but do we know if any members of Steven's family (maybe who served in WWII) who might have been Paratroopers?
The information from and about his relatives is very minimal.

One other question- is anyone aware of AWOL policies? Is there a certain amount of time that needs to pass before one can officially be deemed as AWOL? I will dig into this.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrak
Back