OK - Tommy Wolf, 9, murdered, mom injured, Nichols Hills, 16 Nov 2009 *Insanity*

Nichols Hills doctor not guilty of first-degree murder in the fatal stabbing of son on the ground of insanity
The Nichols Hills physician who fatally stabbed his 9-year-old son was acquitted Friday of first-degree murder on the ground of insanity.

Dr. Stephen Paul Wolf, 52, was ordered sent to a state mental hospital.

Oklahoma County District Judge Don Deason agreed to the outcome Friday after reviewing expert reports. Wolf cannot be released from the hospital unless the judge approves it.
---
Wolf has battled mental issues for years, according to the reports and other records.
more, with video, at newsok.com link above

Oh my, it's been such a tragic case. A loss of a child and a man's and woman's lives in ruins. All because of a tremendously hard to treat mental illness. I have a son with Bipolar 1, Mixed State and it's a hard hard diagnosis for the sufferer and the family. You can never let down your guard, never fully trust, never believe. Medication and therapy only work some of the time. And the sad thing is that the sufferers are often generous, kind, and bright people....when the monkey's not on their back.

My heart goes out to Mary, the child's mother. May she find some peace. And I can't help but have pity on the father. His body was present at the murder but his mind was not. I believe he loved his son.

Oh my, it's been such a tragic case. A loss of a child and a man's and woman's lives in ruins. All because of a tremendously hard to treat mental illness. I have a son with Bipolar 1, Mixed State and it's a hard hard diagnosis for the sufferer and the family. You can never let down your guard, never fully trust, never believe. Medication and therapy only work some of the time. And the sad thing is that the sufferers are often generous, kind, and bright people....when the monkey's not on their back.

My heart goes out to Mary, the child's mother. May she find some peace. And I can't help but have pity on the father. His body was present at the murder but his mind was not. I believe he loved his son.

My daughter also has Bipolar Disorder. It is a very difficult illness to treat-as the depression must be treated with antidepressants, which can make the mania worse. It's very hard to find the right combination of meds-when you change one, sometimes you have to change them all, waiting weeks to see if the med will work or not.
I feel really bad for this family, all of them, very tragic.
I think he really did love his wife and son.

Uh-oh.

Limited release proposed for Nichols Hills doctor who killed his son

A top psychologist at a state mental hospital has recommended conditional release for the Nichols Hills physician who fatally stabbed his 9-year-old son.
---
Oklahoma County District Judge Don Deason is not expected to approve [Dr. Stephen] Wolf's release. Still, prosecutors are furious with the recommendation by Samina R. Christopher, the director of forensic psychology at the Oklahoma Forensic Center.
---
“Dr. Wolf objectively responds favorably to medication and currently acknowledges his mental illness. Therefore, Dr. Wolf is considered not presently dangerous due to mental illness but in need of continued supervision due to a history of treatment noncompliance. Therefore, conditional release is recommended,” [Samina R. Christopher, the director of forensic psychology at the Oklahoma Forensic Center] wrote.
---
“I was totally delusional when I killed my son,” he is quoted as saying. “I was thinking that Tommy was evil, that he would do bad things in his life, and I was feeling evil myself and I started thinking if I'm evil, my son must be evil. … I just don't think there'll be a day I'll be happy ever again. … I feel terrible ... I was really sick and, if I think of that, I'm easier on myself than otherwise. I miss Tommy so much.
---
(much more plus video at Sunday Oklahoman link above)
--

Thoughts?

I'd want to know the details of "conditional release", but oh my, this does not seem appropriate at all.

I'm not surprised. Unfortunately it's happened before and it'll happen again.
Every time there is a successful insanity defense I flashback to Lisa and I cringe.
I did the same in this case when it happened.

This guy is in need of supervision because of a history of treatment non-compliance??
He's not a danger on his meds, but doesn't always comply with taking them.
I'm sorry... but 1+1=2 and that means you stay where you are safe if you quit taking your meds. :twocents:

I understand that if you are legally insane you can be treated... but what about justice?

What about the 3 and 5 year old girls who were drowned by their own mother?
The 9 year old boy who was stabbed to death by his own father?

3 years for killing two little girls... that's good enough because now Mommy is on meds?

Somehow... that just doesn't seem fair to me.

November 10, 2006

A Collin County judge has ruled that a woman who drowned her two children in September 2003 is now mentally stable and should be released from a state hospital.

Lisa Ann Diaz drowned her 3- and 5-year-old daughters by holding their heads under water in the bathtub of their Plano home.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/metropolitan/4325129.html#ixzz1T6B58JXd

[...]
Sources close to the case tell NewsChannel 4 that Dr. Wolf is effectively medicated now and maintains his sanity.

"He is back to reality and having to deal with that," said Chief Mask. "To me, that's much worse than death because there's no end to it."

[...]
Dr. Wolf can never again be tried for his son's murder. He is expected to live most of his life at Oklahoma Forensic Center where he gets weekly treatment, his medication is monitored, and a judge's order is the only way out.

http://kfor.com/2015/05/20/exclusive-insanity-in-oklahoma-2/

As expected. What is frightening is the Mr. Wolf (presumably he has lost his license to practice medicine?) is savvy enough to convince this Forensic Psychologist that he is fit for limited release. :banghead:

http://www.okmedicalboard.org/licensee/MD/17827

He surrendered his license in January 2011. There is no evidence of any discipline on his license, ever. You would be surprised what it takes for a physician to lose their license.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
megalow
Back