Identified! OK - Tulsa, Human remains in SUV in pond, Oct'11 - Sheila Scott-Sharpe

I just found Shelia Scott, too. She drove an SUV, and it was never recovered.

I guess that is dependent upon how the software system was written.

The article said that "Police have never been able to determine who ran the check on the vehicle or why."

But they don't say whether the inquiry was traced to a specific location or userid, do they?

Once again...LE knows more than we do, and they're not talkin'. Frustrating for a sleuth! :)

The NCIC check and Latimer Co...
You know, it wouldn't surprise me at all if someone (non-LE) had a relationship with a cop or three in Latimer Co- and asked to run the check for them.
NCIC wouldn't know who ran it, because the user ID would be generic to all of Latimer LE.

Hmmm.

Body found in one of the vehicles....which belonged to a missing person.
http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?subjectid=11&articleid=20111028_11_0_Twoveh4248

Several things stand out from the article. None of them likely to lead to answers unfortunately.

They had divers in that pond. Did they find the vehicles in the pond? Did that info just not get out and is what led to authorities draining the pond? Or did they miss them entirely?

The remains were found scattered in the Expedition. Was that a natural part of the body decomposing? Or were they dismembered when they were put in the vehicle?

Authorities seemed to estimate that the foot found in the shoe was about 6 months old or less. Yet Sharp was missing since 2006. So are they related or are there two sets of remains?

From the article

"Different bones in different parts of the vehicle,” said Willingham.
http://www.fox23.com/news/local/sto...ssing-persons-SUV/1vWgtNwADka7GzcwLJpAbw.cspx

So what was meant by that statement? Is he just referring to the fact that the remains were scattered in the vehicle? Or is there another meaning?

Also from the Fox article, LE says they have found other evidence they aren't releasing. What could that have been? Maybe a weapon?

Any thoughts on why someone all the way in Latimer County of all places would run the tag a month and a half after she disappeared? Seems really fishy (no pun intended). Would whoever is investigating this in Tulsa be able to find out who did the search and contact them?

I'm thinking perhaps that her remains were somewhere else for a while. She went missing in Feb. and the tags were run in Mar. I'm thinking there is a possibility that someone else may have been driving her vehicle.
But if the tags were run officially, that could have drawn the attention to the driver. So could he/she have made the decision to dump the vehicle at that time? And if dumping the vehicle, why not put the body in it?

The other possibility is that she was being held captive and the perp was driving her vehicle. Then if she died, dump the body and the vehicle at the same time.

It actually isn't unknown in a missing persons case for their vehicle to be officially sighted somewhere else. The perp may know they will be looked at after the person goes missing. But if there is an official sighting of the vehicle somewhere away from the perp, then it opens up the possibility that the person is alive and just moved away. Or that someone else is involved other than them.

You would think that if a person went missing and their vehicle was missing too that there would be some kind of flag on the vehicle registration.

Several things stand out from the article. None of them likely to lead to answers unfortunately.

They had divers in that pond. Did they find the vehicles in the pond? Did that info just not get out and is what led to authorities draining the pond? Or did they miss them entirely?

The remains were found scattered in the Expedition. Was that a natural part of the body decomposing? Or were they dismembered when they were put in the vehicle?

Authorities seemed to estimate that the foot found in the shoe was about 6 months old or less. Yet Sharp was missing since 2006. So are they related or are there two sets of remains?

From the article

So what was meant by that statement? Is he just referring to the fact that the remains were scattered in the vehicle? Or is there another meaning?

Also from the Fox article, LE says they have found other evidence they aren't releasing. What could that have been? Maybe a weapon?

The divers went in first after the foot was found but they couldn't find anything supposedly due to the murky water. I don't know if I'm buying that considering it was an Expedition in only 11 feet of water. What I heard on the news broadcast yesterday is that they don't know for sure that the remains are Sheila's, just that it was her car, and they still don't know if the foot came from the body in the car either. They also found another car and guns and knives in the pond but they said they were stolen and unrelated to the body. And a bunch of tv remotes were in there too which was really weird.

There was another thread where there was talk about a ton of cars in rivers in PA? maybe. Bodies of water are great place to hide this sort of stuff... unlikely for anyone to find it, if weighed down properly. I am shocked there aren't more missing people up here, what with all the thousands of lakes.

On another WS thread recently, the body of water was a lake in Topeka KS and the car held the body of an older man missing for many years. I think they also pulled two more vehicles out of the lake, but found no more bodies in them.

From the article

BBM:
Could be one or the other, honestly. Water degrades in a specific way, depending on temp, flow, animal activity, injury, etc.

I'm no ME and this is mvhoo. (Where are our ME's??)
I tend to think at this point that the vehicle where the body found is related to the sneaker/foot, and that it likely degraded to the point of disarticulation. Perhaps with a little help along the way, either from injury, animal activity, or something else. :(

I hope they seized the vehicle to be processed for any additional potential DNA.

BBM:
Could be one or the other, honestly. Water degrades in a specific way, depending on temp, flow, animal activity, injury, etc.

I'm no ME and this is mvhoo. (Where are our ME's??)
I tend to think at this point that the vehicle where the body found is related to the sneaker/foot, and that it likely degraded to the point of disarticulation. Perhaps with a little help along the way, either from injury, animal activity, or something else. :(

I hope they seized the vehicle to be processed for any additional potential DNA.

Inital reports indicated that they believed the foot may have been in the pond about 6 months. Sharp went missing in 2006. There is a big difference there. You have more experience than I. Wouldn't you be able to tell by sight the difference between remains that are 6 months old and remains that are 5 years old?

I wonder if they asked Sheila's daughter or relatives if she had any shoes like the one found? Some of her relatives were there when they were pulling the car out.

From the article

It could be jewelry or a watch the deceased was wearing.

If there is evidence they aren't releasing, I wonder if it could have a connection to another open case(s)?

If the car tag was run thru dispatch..there should be a tape or disc from the date it was run. That might enable them to tell who ran the tag. I believe they keep the dispatch recordings indefinitely.

If run on a car computer not sure that data wuld be retrievable after such a long time.

Praying for the family.

In a previously referenced article:

http://www.newson6.com/story/15899169/tulsa-retention-pond-drained-as-police-search-for-body

There is a reference to an article on March 31, 2006.

Would this encourage someone to look this info up?

No info here - just mentioning the dates.

I don't find someone running the tag on that SUV after the fact of her disappearance strange at all. They were 'sleuthing'. The lady and her SUV are missing, so look in the computer and see if there has been an accident or any other kind of sighting in another county or in another state. IMO
Also, it says the skeletal remains were in the backseat and scattered in the vehicle. Once that vehicle is under water, the outside pressure of the water against the doors and windows will make it impossible to open either doors or windows. You can't get out, period, you'd better get them open before you are under water or you will drown. She either climbed back there trying to find a way out or she floated back there. That being said, how did the sneaker with bones get out of the car??? Or maybe a window was partially open but not enough for a person to get through, and that would account for fish and turtle activity.

Yes, it makes you wonder how many other missing people are in lakes, rivers, ponds, etc. A lot IMHOO. :waitasec:

I don't find someone running the tag on that SUV after the fact of her disappearance strange at all. They were 'sleuthing'. The lady and her SUV are missing, so look in the computer and see if there has been an accident or any other kind of sighting in another county or in another state. IMO
Also, it says the skeletal remains were in the backseat and scattered in the vehicle. Once that vehicle is under water, the outside pressure of the water against the doors and windows will make it impossible to open either doors or windows. You can't get out, period, you'd better get them open before you are under water or you will drown. She either climbed back there trying to find a way out or she floated back there. That being said, how did the sneaker with bones get out of the car??? Or maybe a window was partially open but not enough for a person to get through, and that would account for fish and turtle activity.

Yes, it makes you wonder how many other missing people are in lakes, rivers, ponds, etc. A lot IMHOO. :waitasec:
The video showed that at least the window(s) on the driver's side was open.

And you're right, an officer in one of the articles mentioned fish activity in regards to open windows.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clintbentwood
Back