Olympic Skier Bode Miller's Daughter Drowns In Pool

Discussion in 'Celebrity and Entertainment News' started by Elisaa444, Jun 11, 2018.

1. Elisaa444

Elisaa444 Informer

2. Loading...

3. Elisaa444

Elisaa444 Informer

4. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

Heartbreaking :(

5. Jennifer17

Jennifer17 Well-Known Member

Do pools have to be fenced with childproof gates in the US?

6. PetDetective

PetDetective Well-Known Member

There are safety requirements, one of which is a fence, but there are other safety precautions you can choose other than a fence. This is the law in California:

Codes Display Text.

• (a) Commencing January 1, 2007, except as provided in Section 115925, whenever a building permit is issued for construction of a new swimming pool or spa, or any building permit is issued for remodeling of an existing pool or spa, at a private, single-family home, it shall be equipped with at least one of the following seven drowning prevention safety features:

1. The pool shall be isolated from access to a home by an enclosure that meets the requirements of Section 115923.

2. The pool shall incorporate removable mesh pool fencing that meets American Society for Testing and Materials (ASTM) Specifications F 2286 standards in conjunction with a gate that is self-closing and self-latching and can accommodate a key lockable device.

3. The pool shall be equipped with an approved safety pool cover that meets all requirements of the ASTM Specifications F 1346.

4. The residence shall be equipped with exit alarms on those doors providing direct access to the pool.

5. All doors providing direct access from the home to the swimming pool shall be equipped with a self-closing, self-latching device with a release mechanism placed no lower than 54 inches above the floor.

6. Swimming pool alarms that, when placed in pools, will sound upon detection of accidental or unauthorized entrance into the water. These pool alarms shall meet and be independently certified to the ASTM Standard F 2208 "Standards Specification for Pool Alarms" which includes surface motion, pressure, sonar, laser, and infrared type alarms. For purposes of this article, "swimming pool alarms" shall not include swimming protection alarm devices designed for individual use, such as an alarm attached to a child that sounds when the child exceeds a certain distance or becomes submerged in water.

7. Other means of protection, if the degree of protection afforded is equal to or greater than that afforded by any of the devices set forth above, and have been independently verified by an approved testing laboratory as meeting standards for those devices established by the ASTM or the American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME).

7. Jennifer17

That is good. So how does a seventeen month old child get into a pool?

8. BetteDavisEyes

BetteDavisEyes All the boys think she's a spy...

You did just fine :) Congratulations on your first thread!

9. Hatfield

Hatfield Well-Known Member

What a tragedy. Seems to be too many of these pool drownings lately. I cant remember the other one I just read about before this one. So sad.

In this case I think i read they were over at a neighbors party or something. When distractions begin to happen that is time to really start watching the little ones. Uggggg

10. AzPistonsGirl

AzPistonsGirl Detroit to the Bone

Here, in Arizona, where we have already had 54 drowning/water related calls this summer... it doesn't matter. It just doesn't. Every year, every summer, we are reminded... and yet, every summer, kids and adults drown at an alarming rate IMO. We have an inground pool with no fence. We have no children. Do I worry about a kid climbing our wall and drowning? Sure. But IMO if one lives in Arizona (where pools are beyond abundant), you have a responsibility to teach your children (or wards) how to swim. Period. Classes start for babies as young as 4 months at many swim schools whose websites I just skimmed...

I am not blaming anyone. I am talking about taking responsibility. Something sorely missing these days in so many areas IMO.

11. Jennifer17

I am not sure that there are how to swim classes for fully clothed toddlers, though. Where I live all pools have to be fenced with childproof gates, whether you have children or not.

12. Elisaa444

Elisaa444 Informer

Thank you! Slowing gaining confidence on this site. :D

13. Lilibet

Lilibet Watching and Waiting

If the pool was put in before this 2007 code went into effect, it may not have all these bells and whistles, unfortunately. That’s the case with my elderly in laws’ current pool built in the 1980’s and the pool they had at a different house in the early 1970’s when my daughter was a toddler. We didn’t live where baby swimming lessons were available. I cringe now when I think how easily an accident could have happened when we visited them in SoCal.

My husband’s 12 and 14 year old sister and brother practically lived in the pool. If one of them had come in the house briefly and left the sliding glass door to the back yard open while we were in the house with our daughter and inlaws, she could have toddled out unseen in a flash and drowned. While I never would have taken my eyes off her if we were sitting by the pool, I didn’t feel the need to be quite as vigilant in the house, which was safe. But looking away for even 30 seconds would be enough if the door was left open. It’s a tragedy that can and does happen to the most conscientious parents, unfortunately. My heart goes out to the Millers.

14. katydid23

katydid23 Verified Juanette

15. Jennifer17

So, is there some information on how a seventeen month old child walks out out her home and into the neighbors and drowns in the pool? Who was watching her? Were doors left open in her home? How long was a seventeen month old baby missing before someone noticed?

AzPistonsGirl likes this.
  16. Lilibet

Knowing the answers to these questions doesn’t change what happened and won’t bring this darling child back. And it won’t prevent it from ever happening again to another child. Most parents do their very best to protect their kids from harm, and sometimes their best is not enough. Or they make one tragic and human mistake that they will have to live with for the rest of their lives. I don’t think we are talking about neglectful or careless parents here. If it turns out that they were, then maybe these are relevant questions. But if this happened to a conscientous neighbor’s baby, I wouldn’t be asking these questions. I would hold them tight and mourn with them.

17. Safeguard

Safeguard Well-Known Member

With all the recent coverage of the tragic drowning of Bode Millers 19 month old child I am awed by both the compassion and the cruelty of people commenting. ( both here and elsewhere) I will never forget the day that I took my eyes off my own two yr old son, for just a few seconds...

It was 1987. We lived in a small house with a side yard, and a larger back yard, grassy and slopping down to a small lake. The lake was bordered by a low stone wall. No beach, just a drop off.

It was a gorgeous, Indian Summer day. I had dishes to do, so I allowed my toddler, and our German Sheppard, to sit in the side yard. I had the door wide open, and I could easily see my son sitting at his Little Tykes picnic table building with Lego's.

I would wash a dish, rinse and put it in the strainer, turn my head to the side and look right at my son. After every single dish. I was almost done. I set a dish in the strainer and turned my head...and didn't see my son... Turning off the water, I happened to glance straight ahead out the small window over the sink, and my heart stopped as I saw my son, toddling full steam, down the sloped back yard, he was already near the bottom, then he stepped on the stone ledge and fell face down into the lake. In what seemed like one or two SECONDS, I saw this! I have never been more TERRIFIED before, or since.

I knew that I could never make it out of the house and down the hill in time...

One second later, before I even had time to run, I saw my dog step up on the rock ledge, lean out and bite into the back of my sons coat and drag my child out of the lake and up onto the grass, where he started to cry!

And I started to cry, I cried as I ran down the hill and I still feel like crying when I recall the relief of that moment!

I always knew we had a Guardian Angel for the boys in that Dog, but I was unprepared for anything like this.

Mainly because I thought I was too good a mom, for something like this to ever happen, but I wasn't. No one is. Many times we had done this same thing, with him sitting in the sun while I did dishes, and never once lost site of my son. Until I did. I was over confident and I almost lost my baby.

I will refrain from judging the Millers because my child came so very close to the same fate as Emeline Grier Miller. Their world has changed and darkened forever. They have suffered a tragic loss... I got a miracle...There but for... go I.

I do not honestly believe that there has been, or will be, a parent, that ever lived, that can manage to NEVER take their eyes off a child, even for a few seconds, for three or four years, not one single time. Human beings are failable. We have weak moments, confusion, illness, mis-judgement, we make mistakes. It is not possible to never, ever, be "human" just because we become parents.

( I am, however, conflicted by the $40.000 GoFundMe. I don't feel millionaires should request J.Q. Public fund their personal tragedy, at the same time as they request privacy. Even though the fund was created by their midwives, both Bode and his wife linked to the account on their respective Instagram accounts. I have NO problem calling that tacky to say the least. And having done some research on this couple, I feel very comfortable labeling them both somewhat narcissistic and that would explain the GofundMe). RIP Baby Emmy.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2018
  18. Snoopster

Snoopster Well-Known Member

Such a powerful story. I have always wondered about people who say they would be perfect. Things can happen in a flash.

When our children were young we moved into a house with a pool. There was no way to erect a fence between the pool and the house due to the layout. I fretted constantly. We had a slide lock installed high on the back door. But in the end I knew that it was all up to our diligence and it would be easily human to slip up.

In the end our youngest child was absolutely terrified of the pool. He wouldn't have gone near it if we dragged him. For parents with 'adventurous' children, they would have had the opposite problem, no fault of their own.

Of course we want to learn from these tragedies to prevent them from happening in the future. But let's not burn a family at the stake for having a lapse in attention. (Now, if the family had regular "lapses" then that is a different scenario.)

19. Safeguard

Safeguard Well-Known Member

Exactly. I have seen this in relation to this loss of this lovely little child, and I always post, " I can tell you don't have kids" (I have not been wrong yet!). Parents are the first to admit that they have been down some dark roads, made mistakes, and have been very lucky to be graced with a chance to improve. It's a "learn as you go" experience. No one is perfect.

Suglo, Londonunicorn, Amonet and 4 others like this.
  20. Lilibet

Wow! What a dog! A true “nanny dog.”

There are no perfect parents, especially among the ones who claim to be perfect in situations like this. If you lack any shred of compassion, you’re not as good as you think you are IMO.

I agree with you about the GFM tackiness. They could have asked for it to be taken down. Perhaps they will donate that money (and more of their own) to a foundation in their daughter’s name promoting pool safety. Hope so.

21. kaen

kaen Trying to be a good human.

RSBM

I agree about parenting and making mistakes. I have felt this same tug whenever a parent makes an awful mistake--- including leaving their child in a car, which is a horrible way to die. I believe it is important to give grace to parents--all ages and shapes and colors--- when they have paid an ultimate price for a moment's blunder. I have made some mistakes that I was grateful for the second chance as well.