Online Banking

Casshew

Former Member
Reaction score
Be Aware!!

'Remote access Trojans' harvest online bank passwords as you type them

Clever computer criminals have recently become much more sophisticated in their attacks against online banks, experts say. The Internet is now awash in programs called "remote access Trojans," or RATs, that feed on online banking passwords. Trojan horse programs have traditionally sneaked their way onto computers by posing as desirable free software, such as electronic greeting cards or file-sharing programs. The malicious programs are hidden, and like the Greek soldiers hidden in the famous wooden horse, jump out to attack once they're safely inside. But others are pushed onto computers without any interaction at all, through various software vulnerabilities. In that case, consumers would likely have no way of knowing their machine has been subdued.

These new remote-access Trojans are designed specifically to lurk in the background, waiting until the unsuspecting user types the name of a well-known bank into a Web browser. Then, the program springs into action, copying every keystroke. The data is sent back to the criminal, who now can raid the online bank.

"This is the new thing," said Dan Clements of CardCops.com, a site that monitors online fraud. His researchers recently gained access to an e-mail account that was set up to receive data from RAT-infested computers. The account held over 3,000 transmissions, he said.

One of the e-mails contained about 300 logins for Bank of America's Web site.

"I get more and more of these every day," he said. "(Researchers) send it to me and say, 'Why isn't anybody doing anything?' "

Bank of America's Betty Riess said she couldn't comment on the specific case, but said the bank is currently rolling out new security features designed to limit the effectiveness of Trojan horses.

Full Story

Geeez, more worries... new technology is not always a good thing... life was just a bit more simple without all this stuff... IMO...

Hopefuly we all have good spyware on our computers, and are very careful on what we download. I had one incident where my PayPal logon became compromised; fortunately I caught it immediately, and was able to prevent further problems. I am getting ready to add Norton Personal Firewall onto my system, despite assurances that my computer is well protected from outside threats, and runs spyware, and virus, checks, frrequently. We can't be too careful these days. I can't begin to tell you how many fake eBay, and PayPal, emails I have received--too many to count. The thieves are very sophisticated these days, and they will only become more proficient with time. Take great care.

Buzzm1 said:
Hopefuly we all have good spyware on our computers, and are very careful on what we download. I had one incident where my PayPal logon became compromised; fortunately I caught it immediately, and was able to prevent further problems. I am getting ready to add Norton Personal Firewall onto my system, despite assurances that my computer is well protected from outside threats, and runs spyware, and virus, checks, frrequently. We can't be too careful these days. I can't begin to tell you how many fake eBay, and PayPal, emails I have received--too many to count. The thieves are very sophisticated these days, and they will only become more proficient with time. Take great care.

Hey Buzzm, never hurts to get firewalls up, but the pros dance around em anyways for this kind of thing.

We have probes up around 3 banks right now, that are trying to crack down on the pesky hackers, you'd be amazed how many attempts hit each day...

one bank had over 100 different attempts in the same day, from different people.

problem is once we track them down most are squirrely enough to escape, we can spike the computer to knock it out, but they just rebuild their system and start again...

pretty tough to stop, and most of them are teenagers so if they get caught their hands get slapped...

In the past several days I've noticed that several attempts at this have been made on my own computer, and I'm notified by my software that they stopped it.

Kind of freaks you out.

I've also gotten a lot of mail dumped to my antispam folder that has no return address or titles listed. Wonder if that's connected in any way?

Buzz, this isn't related to an abundance of trashy e-mails is it? Since I upgraded my Microsoft, I've noticed I'm all of a sudden getting worse, and more e-mails than ever.

The computer guy said this new microsoft had a "built in" firewall, and that I didn't need my old "outside the computer" firewall set-up. Do you think that's right? I'm not having too many pop-ups or anything. I have grisoft free security protection, and it seems to be working. I don't really know how to check and see if anyone's trying to get in my computer or bank.

I do bank online alot and I use the bank that was mentioned in the article. Should I call my computer nerd guy to come out again?

I guess I am being naive....my DH, who is an IT guy says as long as it says https:// I am all good........I order away!!!!! I love to shop online! We haven't been hacked yet, and if we were I have faith he could find out who it was.....but could they return the money????? LOL

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
0maj0
Back