Online friend missing for 2 years, alarming last convo

Discussion in 'Missing Persons Information and Support' started by IceFire, Jan 17, 2020.

1. IceFire

IceFire New Member

I just created this account because I just remembered this thing that happened. I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this. I was hoping me and my friends could get some closure. 2 years ago, one of our online friends went missing. I can't remember the exact date, but it was after February because my last direct message to him on Discord was February 5th. We didn't mostly talk through DMs, we talked in a server that no longer exists afaik. So I'll give all the info I know, which isn't that much, because he was very paranoid.

Online: He went by the username GeekDucks, it's what we mostly knew him as. He was very paranoid and didn't want to give his real name or much of any actual information. He opened up to someone else who knew his name, I heard her mention it once, can't remember if it was Bryce or Brian. I think it was Bryce. The game we mainly played together was Overwatch. He was gold ranked and mostly played the character of Junkrat. He was enthusiastic in game, and he gave a lot of good advice after the games were over too. He dealt with depression in the past, he was being treated for it, but I don't know if it was working well.

Irl: From what he mentioned of his life, he was in his mid-twenties, had a beard, was a pizza delivery guy for Dominos, lived in Louisiana, and lived on a farm. He raised ducks, and that' where his username came from. He knew how to shoot a gun. He owned multiple guns. He lived with his grandparents on this farm, and he had a brother that was there too. He also had a sister, she lived out of town. Can't remember but she might have even been living in another state. He talked about her in a worried way a lot. Not a lot of direct info, but he seemed to imply she was either involved with a gang or drug dealing, and that some people may have wanted to hurt her. He also mentioned a step mother before. She was supposedly abusive. He actually had an instance where he was detained for 2 months after striking her after a situation where he claimed she was physically abusing him. She also supposedly stole a lot of household things. He never mentioned his mother, and I don't recall him ever speaking of his father other than talking about how bad the step mother acted towards him too. His family was also homophobic. And he was gay. He was a closet homosexual and it was one of his biggest fears they would find out.

Alarming things he said before going missing: He mentioned several times various situations that were conserning and may explain his disappearance. Another one of my friends who was closer to him said he told her that if someone was going to harm his sister, he was going to drive up there and teach them a lesson. He also spoke of running away from home multiple times. He always said his dream was to run away, find love, get married, invite his family to the wedding without telling them he was marrying a man, and have them find out on the wedding day. He also seemed to still have depressive episodes. That and his previous instance of being detained made for a lot of worries.

Disappearance: The last time he contacted anyone from what I can tell, is late one night, messaging one of our friends on Discord. He seemed fairly normal, and he asked if she wanted to have a voice call, which we often did, so it wasn't too abnormal. She said yes, but she had to go to the bathroom first. When she came back and said she was ready, he just...never answered. He never called. Never messaged anyone else. We tried to contact other mutual friends, but he was very secretive and nobody else knew anything about it either. This was within the same week as him alluding to someone possibly wanting to harm his sister, so he might have gotten mixed up into that. Though my friend says he had been worried the night before that his brother, who has access to his computer, may have found out he was gay. I tried to stay optimistic to keep everyone from falling into a panic over it, but after the months kept going and nobody heard of him, we just kind of accepted he probably wasn't coming back. Everyone just sort of stopped mentioning him to not bring up bad thoughts, and it's like slowly everybody just started to pretend he just never existed. Me and my friend were trying to use google for a while to try to have some closure, but without his real name or any way to contact him or anyone from his home life, we were left with just searching up missing people cases or deaths of men in Louisiana. We didn't find any stories about a Bryce or a Brian that looked how whatever little of him we saw.

Strange note: His Overwatch account became active some time after he went missing, but his brother had access to it, and looking at the stats, we deduced it was the brother who was using the account. None of the characters being played at the time were the characters GeekDucks would normally play. Many of us tried to DM the phantom account to ask what was going on, but we never got any replies. Eventually, whoever was running the account at that point in time deleted all of us from the friend list. The only other place we used to see him was Discord and his Discord remained inactive from the moment my friend came back from the bathroom that night.

Our theories: The ones we could come up with were that he either got in trouble with the law or a gang involving his sister, in which case he is either dead or in prison, or that his family found out about his sexuality and he ended up being disowned or committed suicide. We don't think he would have just left like that and is living his life all fine and dandy. We knew this guy and spoke to him daily for months and months. I don't think this was a joke or just him getting bored of everyone. Something bad must have happened to him. I think 2 years was more than long enough for him to slip up if he was just pretending to be gone. (Note: one of us speculated once that the name he gave that one time might not have actually been his name. Again, he was very paranoid.)

I was just hoping maybe I could get some ideas of what could have happened, or someone better than me at this could figure it out. It doesn't matter if all I knew of him was a character in a game or words on a screen. That was a real person behind the screen and I want to know what happened to him.

2. LaborDayRN

LaborDayRN Stay Home, Save Lives

Welcome to WebSleuths @IceFire

Hopefully one of our members who has more experience than I with online sleuthing will come along and give you some tips for searching for your friend. I found with a google search that there is a YouTube channel with the same username you posted above. There was a video posted one year ago (So after your friend went radio silent). No pictures, just voices. Perhaps you would recognize the voice?

Perhaps as you said he was incarcerated but it's also possible he just wanted a total change in his life. You mentioned he was quite paranoid with his private information. Maybe he just felt the people he was talking with were starting to know too much about him. I hope this is the case and that there was no foul play or self harm.

3. Lilibet

Lilibet Watching & Waiting

Welcome @IceFire! If you google geekducks I see someone with that name on the ADK gaming community site posting in 2018, and also reddit 5 months ago. He is from Louisiana, possibly Baton Rouge. He’s also on Twitter, posting last month. He mentioned on reddit that his grandfather had been killed by a speeding car while he was riding his bike. :( On docker hub he posted 21 days ago. Just google geekducks and check it out. I don’t want to link these here. I hope it means good news. But it’s certainly strange if he just ghosted you all. Do let us know what you think.

4. cherrymeg

cherrymeg Well-Known Member

Should someone contact him on one of the other sites he pops up on? It looks like someone on Reddit has posted within the last few weeks with that name. I found someone with the name Brad associated with the same user name on some game site. It might be the wrong person. It's nice people are concerned about someone that was in their online community.

5. cherrymeg

I think more people should be like you. My son plays video games with people he knows irl and others he has never met but spends a lot of time talking to them while playing games. Do you believe the age he gave you was correct? You could message users with the name Geekducks on other sites or at least look to see if they could be the same person. Did you ever get an email address that you could check against facebook or other social media sites?

6. cherrymeg

Did you or your friends ever catch him in contradicting stories? If you are lying or hiding something usually over several years you are going to slip up. I wonder what his reason for secrecy was. Is it possible he was married or had a job that wouldn't be okay with him being gay or playing video games?

7. Tiachren

Tiachren Gentle Snail Guy

Hey! Lot of good information going on in here as well, and to be honest.. this guy sounds a lot like myself in some ways, if I can offer some perspective? (If not, you can totally just like shoosh me and scroll on haha) I have PTSD and Depression on top of having BPD, which I'm in no way trying to diagnose this guy with anything like an armchair psych-- but you did mention he was very paranoid and going through a great deal of issues, he could have had any number of things going on personally in his life that went unmentioned.

When I personally have done something like this-- being ghosting/self-deprecation/online persona suicide in a way-- it was in the midst of an extremely heavy depressive period in my life, where I felt I needed to sabotage any good I had going for me, and by cutting myself off from the people I held close, it would be better for them in the end. It wasn't always because of actual suicidal ideation, but there were times it was. It's not something to take out of the cards. If he has been raised in an abusive home, and is still being kept there in his 20's, there's probably a high chance of him being in that rung, and uses escapism into games and fantasy for that sort of thing, and then gets afraid when he manages to let people in. It's just that when he DOES, maybe he gets scared of the whole 'losing' thing of friendships and took it into his own hands, and thus, self-sabotage again. It's a very vicious cycle for people, and it gets hard to work yourself out of without therapy and reassurance.

If anything, honestly, I really hope he finds this thread. I really do. This should be the wake-up he needs to remind him that he's not just walking away from blank faces online. People get invested in his life, his well-being, and people care about him. It took a lot for me to wake up and do that too, and it hurts. I sincerely hope that he just needed that time, that repose to get his head squared away again and maybe now two years on, he's found himself somewhere better. Maybe now you guys can be good friends again and work it out.

I hope this helps in some way, or if not, I'm sorry haha. (I also was into OW around the same time too, fancy that. Lucio main though whoops) Wishing you luck getting back in contact with him, and getting closure!

tesni, Laughing, LunaInvidia and 2 others like this.
  8. Vedder

Vedder John 3:16

@IceFire looks like he may be active on Reddit.

MeadowMuffin, Laughing and Sunshine95 like this.
  9. killarney rose

killarney rose Well-Known Member

Through the years I've made lots of online friends. It is very common for someone to not say goodbye and to just drop out of sight for good. It is what it is and sadly, there's nothing you can do about it.

MeadowMuffin and Laughing like this.
  10. MeadowMuffin

MeadowMuffin Well-Known Member

My husband had a good online friend back in the days when the internet was new and message boards were the thing. Suddenly we didn't hear from her. I was worried, told him maybe she's hospitalized, or died. He didn't think so. Then one day we got a card from her husband, saying she passed away from a brain aneurysm. You just never know.

Bampot likes this.
  11. PingTheRouter

PingTheRouter Ghetto Superstar

i have been a good online friend to many people over the years, some we even were very good friends and sent things to each other through the mail, knew each others wives and family, had running jokes between families

and over time either of our interests changed and we dropped out of contact, it happens far more than you'd believe

its normally online friends fit a moment in time where your interests align sometimes that is forever, sometimes that is on and off over the years and sometimes its for a short period

every now and then i run into people iv known for 20 years online but just like in life people change and their interests change as well, their life also changes, people get married or get new jobs and find new interests and get involved with new people

its happen as others have noted he seems to be around and doing other games and things

he may have just lost interest in that game

Vedder, MeadowMuffin and Laughing like this.