Operation Nativity

I like the idea of "Operation Nativity", and I don't find it offensive whatsoever. Here's why.

Many people hold a traditional Christian view of Christmas as a celebration of the birth of Jesus Christ, not the "secular" Christmas holiday of trees, snowmen, elves and Santa. Many who hold this Christian view are increasingly dismayed to see the "Christ" taken out of Christmas, in order to "not offend" non-Christians. By displaying a nativity scene in our yards, we are proclaiming to the world, "this is something that matters to me. This is what I believe in". If we see endless nativity displays, we may realize that there are indeed MANY Christians who DO wish to keep Christ in Christmas, that we are not a tiny minority group who will just silently watch Christmas turn into a generic "Winter Holiday".

DK, I boycotted Gap a few years back when they started greeting people at their store entrances with a goofy sing-songy "Happy Holiday Season" or some such equally silly substitute for "Merry Christmas". Did it save them from offending non-believers? Well it offended me...

As to an earlier comment about displays from other ethnic/religious groups? Bring it on! Down the street from me, there is a Muslim family, who must be celebrating a Muslim holiday of some sort this week. They have created a display of Arabic words on their garage door, using gold tinsel garlands. I am not sure what it says or means, but when I saw it, I thought "good for them!".

There is a mosque about a mile or 2 from my home, which recently had "Ramadan" lit up in the sky using Christmas lights. Good for them. I am glad they feel safe and comfortable doing so. We don't look at these displays and think of them as a bunch of wingnuts, and nor should we consider Christians who display Nativity scenes as wingnuts either.

imho

Casshew said:
We broke Joseph about 8 years ago and now one of the wise men stands in for him
giggle2.gif
I have an extra Darth Vadar action figure I could send you.

Mabel said:
I have an extra Darth Vadar action figure I could send you.
I can put him next to the santa we have on the roof of the stable!

Details said:
Don't quit school - you'd regret that - but see what else in your life can be simplified. In the end you need to eat, sleep, do homework, go to class, and work. Trim our as much as you can of the excess when you get stressed.

LOL, that's about all I do. I'm very fortunate to have a supportive (financially and emotionally) husband and I don't have the stresses that so many others do, I don't have to work. I don't mind at all having to watch our spending because it will pay off when I'm finished next summer.

So I really have no excuse, even though it doesn't feel like it today, I'm on easy street compared to some. One girl quit two weeks ago, she is about to have a baby, has a three year old, works full time and school full time. Her BP had started to get high and her dr. told her something had to go, so school was it. She was really upset so who am I to complain? I'm not in the same boat as she, but I think a lot of us in the program are starting to wig-out about the pressure, we have a freakin test just about everyday. Some people might adjust accordingly, but I'm the opposite. My brain shuts down.

I really need to start exercising again, it's such a huge stress relief and I love those endorphins! Maybe tonight when it cools off, it's 80+ here.

sandraladeda said:
I like the idea of "Operation Nativity", and I don't find it offensive whatsoever. Here's why.

Many people hold a traditional Christian view of Christmas as a celebration of the birth of Jesus Christ, not the "secular" Christmas holiday of trees, snowmen, elves and Santa. Many who hold this Christian view are increasingly dismayed to see the "Christ" taken out of Christmas, in order to "not offend" non-Christians. By displaying a nativity scene in our yards, we are proclaiming to the world, "this is something that matters to me. This is what I believe in". If we see endless nativity displays, we may realize that there are indeed MANY Christians who DO wish to keep Christ in Christmas, that we are not a tiny minority group who will just silently watch Christmas turn into a generic "Winter Holiday".

DK, I boycotted Gap a few years back when they started greeting people at their store entrances with a goofy sing-songy "Happy Holiday Season" or some such equally silly substitute for "Merry Christmas". Did it save them from offending non-believers? Well it offended me...

As to an earlier comment about displays from other ethnic/religious groups? Bring it on! Down the street from me, there is a Muslim family, who must be celebrating a Muslim holiday of some sort this week. They have created a display of Arabic words on their garage door, using gold tinsel garlands. I am not sure what it says or means, but when I saw it, I thought "good for them!".

There is a mosque about a mile or 2 from my home, which recently had "Ramadan" lit up in the sky using Christmas lights. Good for them. I am glad they feel safe and comfortable doing so. We don't look at these displays and think of them as a bunch of wingnuts, and nor should we consider Christians who display Nativity scenes as wingnuts either.

imho
Excellent post, Sandra!!! You're exactly right, the Nativity would be a reminder to all the Reason for Christmas, and a proper display of our own faith. It isn't a competition or a war like some try to characterize it. It's a reminder of why we have Christmas.

As far as gifts, go, since it's Jesus's birthday, and He received the first gifts, why do WE get gifts??? It isn't OUR birthday! We should give the baby Jesus gifts on Christmas by donating to charities for the less fortunate, instead. "For whatsoever you do for the least of those among you, you also do for Me," Christ said.

We celebrate the secular, or "American-ized" Christmas holiday. But I don't mind seeing nativity scenes on private property- that's why it's called "private" property! Or in the yard of a church... I don't see why anyone would have a problem with either of those things??

As far as saying "Happy Holidays", to be honest, it's just easier for me. In saying that, I can cover the big 3 religious observances, and the secular celebration all in one! I don't think anyone who says "happy holidays" means to offend...

IrishMist said:
We celebrate the secular, or "American-ized" Christmas holiday. But I don't mind seeing nativity scenes on private property- that's why it's called "private" property! Or in the yard of a church... I don't see why anyone would have a problem with either of those things??

As far as saying "Happy Holidays", to be honest, it's just easier for me. In saying that, I can cover the big 3 religious observances, and the secular celebration all in one! I don't think anyone who says "happy holidays" means to offend...
I agree, it is not said to offend. However, in an effort to save non-Christians from being confronted by Christianity wherever they go at Christmastime, retailers, such as the Gap, have abolished the word "Christmas" from the vocabulary of their staff. It has become sort of "Politically Correct" to NOT use that "C" word. It seems to have become politically correct to avoid any reference to anything Christian whatsoever. But let's be fair, whatever Christmas is to us today, it is a holiday with Christian roots!

Jeana (DP) said:
Kids learn how to treat other people and similarily how to accept differences in people, by watching and listening to their parents. If parents are accepting to differences in culture, race, sexual orientation, etc., their children will be too. All those little snide comments parents make their children pick up on and it affects them.

I agree completely with that statement, and I observe far too many parents acting like their children have no ears at all.

sandraladeda said:
But let's be fair, whatever Christmas is to us today, it is a holiday with Christian roots!
Welllll... mostly. Have you ever read up on the history of Christmas? It's interesting.

http://encarta.msn.com/encyclopedia_761556859/Christmas.html
Although the Gospels describe Jesus’ birth in detail, they never mention the date, so historians do not know on what date he was born. The Roman Catholic Church chose December 25 as the day for the Feast of the Nativity in order to give Christian meaning to existing pagan rituals. For example, the Church replaced festivities honoring the birth of Mithra, the god of light, with festivities to commemorate the birth of Jesus, whom the Bible calls the light of the world. The Catholic Church hoped to draw pagans into its religion by allowing them to continue their revelry while simultaneously honoring the birthday of Jesus.

So they kind of made it up to take over existing holidays of their rival religions!!
All in all, this is an interesting (though long) article. Worth the read, I think.

Pretty much every culture, every religion has a winter holiday about this time - agricultural societies celebrate this time, as religions develop, they take over the celebration - it's just a nature thing.

sandraladeda said:
I agree, it is not said to offend. However, in an effort to save non-Christians from being confronted by Christianity wherever they go at Christmastime, retailers, such as the Gap, have abolished the word "Christmas" from the vocabulary of their staff. It has become sort of "Politically Correct" to NOT use that "C" word. It seems to have become politically correct to avoid any reference to anything Christian whatsoever. But let's be fair, whatever Christmas is to us today, it is a holiday with Christian roots!

As a Christian, I've never been offended by a sincere greeting of “Happy Holidays”. To me, the greeting is conveying joy, peace, and good will towards all. In that greeting, the holiday that I celebrate, Christmas, is included.

I agree that it seems to have become politically correct for retailers to NOT use the word Christmas, but no department store is preventing anyone from putting Christ back into his or her own personal celebration of Christmas.

IrishMist said:
Welllll... mostly. Have you ever read up on the history of Christmas? It's interesting.

http://encarta.msn.com/encyclopedia_761556859/Christmas.html
Although the Gospels describe Jesus’ birth in detail, they never mention the date, so historians do not know on what date he was born. The Roman Catholic Church chose December 25 as the day for the Feast of the Nativity in order to give Christian meaning to existing pagan rituals. For example, the Church replaced festivities honoring the birth of Mithra, the god of light, with festivities to commemorate the birth of Jesus, whom the Bible calls the light of the world. The Catholic Church hoped to draw pagans into its religion by allowing them to continue their revelry while simultaneously honoring the birthday of Jesus.

So they kind of made it up to take over existing holidays of their rival religions!!
All in all, this is an interesting (though long) article. Worth the read, I think.
Yes, but the actual Christmas holiday is Christian in origin as the recognized birth of Jesus. The other celebrations have different names and are for much different reasons.

F that. Too many religious organisations think they are going to lead the way to their religion.

It is worse than McDonalds advertising happy meals when it comes to attracting youths.
If you call it Christmas then call it that. If it is a holiday that is okay.
A combined effort of Nativity is in such bad taste, disrespect and almost threatening to others. If you feel it do it, if not don't, If you just like the bright lights let us display them.

Becba said:
F that. Too many religious organisations think they are going to lead the way to their religion.

It is worse than McDonalds advertising happy meals when it comes to attracting youths.
If you call it Christmas then call it that. If it is a holiday that is okay.
A combined effort of Nativity is in such bad taste, disrespect and almost threatening to others. If you feel it do it, if not don't, If you just like the bright lights let us display them.
"F that?" How classy.

I googled "Operation Nativity" and found pro-life blogs, anti-aclu sites.

dakini said:
I googled "Operation Nativity" and found pro-life blogs, anti-aclu sites.
Death to the ACLU!!!!!!!!!! :razz: :razz: :razz:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
knownstranger07
Back