OR - Angelica Swartout charged in death of newborn, Springfield, 18 Oct 2010

Angelica Swartout Arraigned​
(SNIPPED)

EUGENE, Ore. -- The woman accused of murdering her newborn baby and tossing him in a dumpster appeared in court Thursday. Angelica Swartout, 23, was arraigned on murder charges.

But again, there was no plea.

Court staff say Swartout's lawyers are most likely planning a review of the details of her murder charge. A judge and Swartout's lawyer will meet again to plan her next date in court.

http://kezi.com/news/local/197936

I still can't wrap my head around this - AS gave birth alone while at work - murdered her baby and threw him in the trash - leaving no trace of what she had done.

Horrific - I hope they drop the library on her.

Ioni, what if she owed someone drug money and agreed to give them the baby to sell. This case just seems so strange that someone would already name their unborn child after them and then kill the baby as soon as it is born. There is no trace of anything. I am sure she would not want, out of fear of death, to turn her drug supplier in.

danisisa--Maybe I missed something but I made the assumption that the family named the child, after they learned he was dead. So the mother named her son and after someone? Did I miss a comment somewhere or do you have direct knowledge of this? I find one man with that name in the US and he's in Southern California but he does have a female relative in the Portland, OR area.

I really don't want to get my hopes up that little Lucias is still alive but it is surely possible. Even after the time had elapsed, I wonder if cadaver dogs alerted on that dumpster?

Personally, I'd like to see a notice go out to all hospitals and doctors' offices in the US with this baby boy's story. A healthy seeming (even if he was drug exposed) baby boy (and are we certain it was a boy--ultrasound??) would sell on the black market for anywhere between $40,000-$75,000 to a person or couple who could not pass muster at an adoption agency. I also realize that he could be sold for more nefarious reasons for possibly even more.

We can't stop asking questions!!

Thank you, I did miss that. But I have to ask what leads you to think that she might have named the child after someone? Just curious.

How does a woman just give birth and then go about her business? While I've never given birth myself, I've been with several friends and relatives when they did and I just don't see how anyone would be functioning normally after that, I know they sure weren't!

I have the same thoughts - while I understand their not finding him, even if he is at the dump (Gawd is that awful to write) - Did they bring in the dogs?

The photo taken with her very swollen belly - she appeared happy (at that moment anyway), she even named him. Most first time moms are terrified of labor period and she is said to have done the whole thing by herself, at work, no less? IDK..

Odd. Odd. Odd.

One of the things I've learned over the years guys, concerning other women and their parenting is that "my realty is not their reality". I know that sounds glib but I believe it. Birth for most of us is momentous and life changing--a cause for tremendous celebration. We have to accept the fact that that is not the reality for many women.

That said, I still have many questions. I've been a doula, off and on for 35 years, and I know what a woman experiences in the hours after childbirth. This was a full term birth. Nothing makes sense to me.

Like minds. I thought the same thing, Soulmagent. But I think too much time has elapsed. Don't you? I believe that this baby girl was recently born. Little Lucius was born weeks ago. That's why I asked, upthread, whether the family was certain that it was a boy. Is there a record of an ultra-sound?

70? OMG!

Only six family members showed up for court. 6 out of 70?

I wouldnt think it possible to raise that many children without making children raise other children. I also would wonder what motivates a couple to take on that many children.

This is wrong. 70 children in one house isnt a home it is an orphange. I hope they check these people taxes and affairs

They are hoarding children. You cant even have that many pets and those need less time and money then children. I think I am in shock over this really.

I agree with your comments on ''hoarding'' -- I do not believe for one nanosecond that the ''individual'' needs of the adoptees could possibly have been met.

She may have had fears (drugs will increase paranoia) that the adoptive mother might have wanted custody of the child. She may have thought death would have been preferable to adoption if she had bad memories ((conjecture only)) MOO

Newone--You are certainly entitled to your opinion but you really should do some research on this family first. Not all still live in the area. The fact that six adult siblings actually showed up in court for this woman impressed me. They have their own lives and families elsewhere, as far as I can tell. Please remember that it was this young woman's family who brought attention to this case in the first place.

I really want to keep the focus on the child that is missing and possibly murdered. Even though this is a unique family, the story is not about them. It's about the baby. It seems to me that they've responded the way any loving family would when confronted with the unthinkable. JMO.

I find it almost unbelievable that so many will laud the actions of foster families who have parented scores of children (some for a day and some for years) and yet question the motives of a family who chose to offer permanency and love forever. No, it is most definitely not for everyone but it was my choice.

I have held off from saying these words, but I am deeply offended as a mother of 14 who has lovingly raised each child plus another five dear to me. Love has nothing to do with the size of the family.

This thread is about a dead or missing infant.

Newone--You are certainly entitled to your opinion but you really should do some research on this family first. Not all still live in the area. The fact that six adult siblings actually showed up in court for this woman impressed me. They have their own lives and families elsewhere, as far as I can tell. Please remember that it was this young woman's family who brought attention to this case in the first place.

I really want to keep the focus on the child that is missing and possibly murdered. Even though this is a unique family, the story is not about them. It's about the baby. It seems to me that they've responded the way any loving family would when confronted with the unthinkable. JMO.

I find it almost unbelievable that so many will laud the actions of foster families who have parented scores of children (some for a day and some for years) and yet question the motives of a family who chose to offer permanency and love forever. No, it is most definitely not for everyone but it was my choice.

I have held off from saying these words, but I am deeply offended as a mother of 14 who has lovingly raised each child plus another five dear to me. Love has nothing to do with the size of the family.

This thread is about a dead or missing infant.

No offense intended -- have extended family members who have nine each --

this thread is about the tragedy of a dead infant whose mom is clearly drug addled and who knows what thought processes she had when she gave birth -- I was just offering a possiblilty -- again just MOO -- (my conjecture) -- the paranoia makes for very bad decisions.

Like minds. I thought the same thing, Soulmagent. But I think too much time has elapsed. Don't you? I believe that this baby girl was recently born. Little Lucius was born weeks ago. That's why I asked, upthread, whether the family was certain that it was a boy. Is there a record of an ultra-sound?

I saw your post upthread and I was going to quote it but couldnt find it in the hurry I was in.
I saw somewhere they believe the little girl was born arround the 7th of dec. But I will have to double check that.

Do you know how long it took the family to call the hospital and report the baby's death to the LE from the time she suspossedly gave birth? Is it days or a week or longer? Did she give birth when she said and also was she gone for a few days with the family thinking she was in a hospital?

I saw your post upthread and I was going to quote it but couldnt find it in the hurry I was in.
I saw somewhere they believe the little girl was born arround the 7th of dec. But I will have to double check that.

Do you know how long it took the family to call the hospital and report the baby's death to the LE from the time she suspossedly gave birth? Is it days or a week or longer? Did she give birth when she said and also was she gone for a few days with the family thinking she was in a hospital?

IIRC she was due in Oct - the family (her sister) called LE after trying to find a record of Lucias birth via the hospital and the ME - neither of who was able to find any record of AS giving birth (a reported stillbirth) or autopsy. The sister reported her increasingly bizarre behavior in the weeks following the birth, the reason for their suspicions.

When family members tried to help Angelica Swartout make funeral arrangements, they couldn't find any birth records for her little boy at the hospital ... nor could they find any record of his death

http://www.katu.com/news/111703314.html

Police say Swartout was nine months pregnant in October, but told family members her baby died at birth. When no record of the baby's birth or death was found, police were notified. An investigation showed that Swartout gave birth on Oct. 18. Police allege the newborn was killed that same day...."

^^snipped from the OP^^

Thank you for posting that LCoastMom. I have to wonder how the investigation determined the date other than the mom working with LE to figure out which days she worked and something that jogged her memory. To me, it honestly doesn't sound like she remembered the day automatically as most mothers would. That seems a bit fishy. I keep wanting to bring up the possibility of DD but I don't think that's the case if she can work a motel front desk alone. I honestly think that something doesn't add up.

Hopefully LE has already done DNA checks on the mom and the little girl found. Still no comments about an ultrasound but most moms do have them these days and she did seem to name the baby before he was delivered.

I don't know why, exactly, but I have problems believing that this mother really did dispose of her infant in this manner. First, she most likely knows that any number of family or friends would have helped her. Sisters don't give a sister a shower and NOT be a resource for a child in an emergency. Growing up in an adoptive home also certainly made her aware of adoption as an option.

Stringing her family along for a few weeks and then disclosing that she had disposed of the newborn in the trash puts such an element of finality to things, IMO. The search would seem insurmountable--like telling your family that you dumped your baby far out at sea. And it did prove to be insurmountable. She might have been really shocked that they even attempted. Maybe she truly thought that no one would actually search.

But then that brings up the issue as to why she would confess to murder. Why not say the baby was stillborn, she was scared and she did the unthinkable. Why not throw herself on the mercy of her family and the law? The body is gone. No one would know if he took a breath or not. That sort of story would make far more sense even if she did kill or sell the child. Even if she not extremely bright, she'd know that the prison time for disposing of a stillborn child would be far less than murder.

It kind of brings you back full circle. The alternatives make less sense then the actions she reports. Maybe what she's reporting is exactly what happened.

Missizzy I noticed the same thing with the date, either someone worded the statement oddly or AS has had a complete disassociation from the whole situation - no matter how I look at this, things don't add up, maybe we just don't want to believe she committed this heinous act.

Thanks LCoastMom.

I read the article back when it was posted but couldnt remember.

I did go look for the dec 7 date for the baby girl and found that they narrowed down the collection o the donations she was found in to the time frame of dec 8 th to the 12th.

Didn't see this posted.

Jewel Sward, Angelica Swartout's older sister, along with Jewel's daughter Danea, and two of her other adopted sisters Lili and Nadine sat down with KVAL news to talk about the life of Angelica Swartout and the grief of coping with the death of the infant baby, she's charges with murdering.
Watch raw clips from the interview with the family.

http://springfield.kval.com/content...w-angelica-could-be-responsible-death-her-son

I suggest that anyone who might still doubt that an extremely large adoptive family can pull together and grieve with one another while still putting the enormity of this crime in perspective, should watch this video clip. The sisters and nieces make it clear that Angie was surrounded by support and offers of help. She had so many other options at hand. I would have to agree with her young niece who believes that "drugs pushed her over the brink." They all abhor what their relative did but they still love her. That's what families have a tendency to do.

Tragically, Angie and baby Lucias fell through the safety net.

My heart just breaks for all of them.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pabo1998
Back