Found Deceased OR - Anna 'Annie' Schmidt, 21, Columbia River Gorge, 16 Oct 2016

I've read most of the posts on this thread, the comments under the missing post on Annie's personal FB page, and a large portion of her Twitter.

Here's what I've personally gleaned about Annie so far:

She appears to be a religious, open-minded, adventurous, lover of life, nature, and people from all walks of life. She also seems to be outgoing, like someone who can talk to others with great ease. But, I have a feeling she may be feeling a bit curious about life in general and her purpose in this world, as well as possibly her spirituality and everything she may or may not have been sheltered from growing up. She's at that age when we begin to really find ourselves and start to figure out who we hope to become.

Maybe Annie's mom noticed a change in her daughter since she'd moved out to Oregon, so her mom decided to plan a hiking trip and hoped she could convince Annie to come back to Utah with her. Maybe Annie had a feeling this was the real reason for her mom's trip and took off.

(I'm just spitballing here...)

I didn't see anything to suggest she may have been depressed, but as many of you have already pointed out, they aren't always there. I did see a tweet she replied to one day with "that's me all day, every day" (or something to that affect) about questioning your purpose in life. Didn't I read somewhere on here that she had been on a mission trip not that long ago, prior to moving to Oregon? Does anyone know how long she was gone or where she went exactly? I've followed a few cases in the past that have involved others who disappeared after returning home from a lengthy trip or "trip around the world", and unfortunately, they have often ended in suicide. It's apparently common for world travelers to experience some depression, or a sense of purposelessness, as they attempt to adjust back into the daily grind of life after returning home.

I also read a few tweets about her desire to travel. She once even tweeted about wanting a van, so she wouldn't have to pay money to stay in hotels and could spend more time immersed in nature. She definitely seems to have a zest for life and adventure, and I wouldn't be surprised if she did hop a ride out to California. Unfortunately, we all know how dangerous it can be to live that "hippie-like" hitchhiker lifestyle these days and how badly that could turn out.

Also, does anyone know when the weather started getting bad? Was it well before Saturday/Sunday (I'm still a bit confused about which day her last whereabouts are known)? Or did it start getting bad on Saturday/Sunday after she may have already been on the trail?

Basically, to sum it all up, I feel like any scenario is possible at this point. She could have gotten lost or hurt while hiking. She could have been met with foul play before arriving at the trails. She may have run off and hitched a ride somewhere. She may have been met with foul play after being picked up. She may have decided to take her own life. Any and all of these scenarios are equally plausible to me. I don't think anyone can honestly know without a doubt that she's deceased, though. Unless her family has knowledge that strongly points to that being the case, I find it completely absurd to assume as much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[video=youtube;B4VfWfexbrs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4VfWfexbrs[/video]
BBM A poster posted a video of her. I am sorry that I cannot remember the poster's name. Annie served a mission in the Macon Georgia mission. Women serve 18 months. Mormon missionaries have no choice where they serve. They cannot ever be away from their companion, ever. Hopefully, Annie is alive and finding her own way through life, on her own terms.

After pouring through her twitter page, I found a post of hers replying to a friend that was coming to oregon, they asked where she lived and she said downtown pdx, for those wondering if she actually lived in pdx proper. It was from early October, the 11th, I believe. This case has my heart hurting.
I also found something very odd on her personal Facebook, and would like to post a screen shot with posters name omitted, but wanted to make sure that would be allowed. ✌��

After pouring through her twitter page, I found a post of hers replying to a friend that was coming to oregon, they asked where she lived and she said downtown pdx, for those wondering if she actually lived in pdx proper. It was from early October, the 11th, I believe. This case has my heart hurting.
I also found something very odd on her personal Facebook, and would like to post a screen shot with posters name omitted, but wanted to make sure that would be allowed. ✌��

Screenshots are not allowed here on WS. But since it is Annie's fb page you can link to the post or paraphrase the content. Hope that helps :)

No, that would not be allowed. You can describe/paraphrase what you found, or provide a direct link to the entry. Copying or a screenshot is not allowed.

Also, does anyone know when the weather started getting bad? Was it well before Saturday/Sunday (I'm still a bit confused about which day her last whereabouts are known)? Or did it start getting bad on Saturday/Sunday after she may have already been on the trail?

There was a series of moderate storms that moved through the area. The weather between the rainfalls could be quite nice, albeit windy.

Annie went hiking on the Sunday, and the weather probably seemed quite nice in the morning. Later in the afternoon, though, it was raining. It was also quite windy all day.

This source doesn't give much detail, and it's for Portland, but it gives us an idea of what it was like: timeanddate.com

I have been following the case, thread and the Find Annie Schmidt FB page all along. I also posted a couple of times early on but haven't in some time since there seems to be so little to go on.

So Annie's father, Jon, posted on the FAS page a few hours ago, as he has been doing on a regular basis. In part the posts reads, "The county search and rescue told us that there will be continued efforts to recover Annie's body with dogs and sonar search of the Columbia river." As another poster mentioned earlier today, Annie's brother says of her in an FB post from 23 hours ago, "Months before she passed ...." The entire family appears to be convinced that Annie is no longer alive. This, of course, in addition to Annie's mother saying, "'I don’t think she’s still alive. I don’t think she’s survived,' ... 'Honestly, that brings me comfort knowing she is with her Heavenly Father, that she’s not hurting, that she’s not suffering. But we do want to find her body'" on Saturday, October 22nd, 6 days after Annie was last seen, or what would have been the second day of search at the Columbia River Gorge.

At this point, I cannot help but wonder if there was something discovered early on that indicated to the family that Annie was not coming home alive. I understand that the weather was dangerously bad around the time Annie would have gone to the Gorge area, and if that is what convinced the family that she was no longer alive when she hadn't been found a week later, then yes, that would make logical sense. It's just that in my experience, it is very unusual for the family of the missing in this circumstance to be so convinced so soon. Yes, the weather was terrible, but in most cases, loved ones would still want to continue looking, saying that the missing person is strong, that they wouldn't give up. Perhaps a note was found and the family simply does not wish to share ....

I've been thinking about this post... It makes a very good point. In fact, I think the only reasonable explanation for the family's response is that they know something. It's the only thing that fits. Even if they knew she was depressed, or a huge daredevil, there would still be hope. Yet there just seems to be no hope. They went from thinking she was lost or injured on day 5, to thinking she had not survived on day 6.

There has got to be something they're not telling us, something that was found that first day. Perhaps a note, something on her phone or home computer, or a conversation she had with someone.

I've been thinking about this post... It makes a very good point. In fact, I think the only reasonable explanation for the family's response is that they know something. It's the only thing that fits. Even if they knew she was depressed, or a huge daredevil, there would still be hope. Yet there just seems to be no hope. They went from thinking she was lost or injured on day 5, to thinking she had not survived on day 6.

There has got to be something they're not telling us, something that was found that first day. Perhaps a note, something on her phone or home computer, or a conversation she had with someone.

Since they have a spokesperson...that Damon guy from Destiny Search... I wonder if someone bold should post on the FB group or send him a PM and ask point blank if there was a note and that's why the family feels this way? Hmmm? [emoji848]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Posts discussing religion have been removed as they are TOS violations.

From The Rules > Etiquette & Information

RACE/SEX/RELIGION BASHING and INTOLERANCE

Threads or posts promoting or expressing intolerant views toward a particular social group (such as race, religion, gender and sexual orientation) are prohibited.

Unfortunately, I think you are right. The grandmother, on the FAS page, said some family members have had vivid "dream encounters" with Annie since she went missing. The grandmother said those dreams made it known she had "gone to the other side." I don't know if that's all they know, but my hunch is that LE and her family know of a note, conversation, Google search, etc that points to Annie being deceased. Just my opinion, and I hope a wrong one at that. :/

There was a series of moderate storms that moved through the area. The weather between the rainfalls could be quite nice, albeit windy.

Annie went hiking on the Sunday, and the weather probably seemed quite nice in the morning. Later in the afternoon, though, it was raining. It was also quite windy all day.

This source doesn't give much detail, and it's for Portland, but it gives us an idea of what it was like: timeanddate.com

Actually, the storms were more than moderate. Although the predicted hurricane force winds didn't quite materialize, on Friday and Saturday there were terrible storms in the Pacific Northwest with high winds, knocking out power in Portland and toppling trees. Although it had eased some by Sunday, I can't imagine taking a hike in a forested area where trees could have fallen or might still fall. That was definitely risky if Annie did decide to hike on Sunday.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/10/15/us/pacific-northwest-wind-storm/

I'm not getting the suicide feel at all with Annie. I feel accident or foul play. I think the family is just very spiritual and are not used to following/sleuthing stories like we are. I think they just have faith in knowing their daughter and what LE is telling them.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Actually, the storms were more than moderate. Although the predicted hurricane force winds didn't quite materialize, on Friday and Saturday there were terrible storms in the Pacific Northwest with high winds, knocking out power in Portland and toppling trees. Although it had eased some by Sunday, I can't imagine taking a hike in a forested area where trees could have fallen or might still fall. That was definitely risky if Annie did decide to hike on Sunday.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/10/15/us/pacific-northwest-wind-storm/

The article does say that the worst one wasn't as bad as predicted, so it could have been a lot worse. One person's "moderate" is another person's "fierce," I suppose. :)

In any case, Sunday wasn't too bad. Here's a description of what was expected for Sunday, which is pretty much what happened:

"Sunday is expected to be comparatively mild after Friday and Saturday's storms, meteorologist Matthew Cullen said. Though showers will continue throughout Saturday night and Sunday afternoon, the weather service is predicting only about a quarter of an inch of rain. Winds likely won't top 25 miles per hour, Cullen said." (source)

Since they have a spokesperson...that Damon guy from Destiny Search... I wonder if someone bold should post on the FB group or send him a PM and ask point blank if there was a note and that's why the family feels this way? Hmmm? [emoji848]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Personally, I really don't see the need. I would feel differently if Annie's family were asking the public to keep an eye out for her (e.g., I would want a more detailed physical description of Annie) or for anyone who might have seen her on Sunday or thereafter to come forward (e.g., I would want to know what her car looks like, her beanie looks like, etc.), but they aren't.

In fact, a new, private FB page has just been set up that is strictly for those independently participating in the ongoing ground search for Annie; with the launch of this page, it appears that the FAS page will no longer be updated on a regular basis, unless there is a new development in the ground search (https://www.facebook.com/groups/findannie/permalink/211267645974488/).

So, reading between the lines, so to speak, I think it is pretty clear that the family is doing what it is doing for a reason, and as long as there is no threat to the public -which I haven't seen anything that specifically leads me to believe that there is- , I, for one, do not feel that I'm owed an explanation.

I'm not getting the suicide feel at all with Annie. I feel accident or foul play. I think the family is just very spiritual and are not used to following/sleuthing stories like we are. I think they just have faith in knowing their daughter and what LE is telling them.

Here's what has me rejecting the suicide hypothesis:

- Annie apparently texted somebody in early October that she wanted to hike to Munra Point. She snapchatted on Sunday that she was going hiking. She parked in a perfect spot to hike a couple trails, including one to Munra Point. It seems highly likely that Annie was planning to go hiking, and that her destination was probably Munra Point.

- The trail to Munra Point is a difficult and dangerous trail. According to one hiking page: "THIS IS NOT A HIKE for wet weather. One slip on this hike and you could really be injured. REMEMBER, this is NOT a maintained trail." (source)

- The weather Sunday afternoon was wet and windy.

Given all that, it sure seems like an accident is the most likely scenario.

Here's a trip report from somebody who hiked to Munra Point: (Link.)

Note the caption on one picture: "I wouldn't suggest this hike on a windy day."

Here's a trip report from somebody who hiked to Munra Point: (Link.)

Note the caption on one picture: "I wouldn't suggest this hike on a windy day."

Thanks for the photos. If that's where Annie went, I think she fell. One of the captions reads: "Lovely little ledge to walk on. Death is on either side." :(

Sorry, i meant to quote my original post from the previous page, the post is am referring to is on her personal fb page, it's one of the last comments on the first post there, the family is asking for help with the search. The last comment, including 4 replies, is really odd, and I thought maybe you guys would have some insight on it? It seems like a cryptic message, it's about truck drivers, and Sirius radio. The person who posted, their profile is strange to me. They are not her friend, and you can't view their friends list, but they have 42 followers, which I can't view. On Facebook though, I believe anyone who is your friend is by default, also your follower. The post is just strange, unless it is lyrics hat I just couldn't find with google. But maybe I am overdoing the sleuth.

Okay, the post is am referring to is on her personal fb page, it's one of the last comments on the first post there, the family is asking for help with the search. The last comment, including 4 replies, is really odd, and I thought maybe you guys would have some insight on it? The person who posted, their profile is strange to me. But maybe I am overdoing the sleuth.

I see a few strange comments. Are you talking about the CDL license comment?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alicialynne
Back