Found Deceased OR - Anna 'Annie' Schmidt, 21, Columbia River Gorge, 16 Oct 2016

Just read this entire thread and have a few points:

- Cell phones are constantly pinging towers automatically. The pings are stored in a database. On Thursday her phone was probably dead, but LE just has to ask the cell phone company for the last ping. It was probably recorded earlier in the week, but since the car hadn't moved, the ping led them to the car.

- As someone already mentioned, most people going through cars are looking for money or things easily converted to cash. Lots of people leave a substantial amount of change in their cars. And stolen items can't exactly be advertised on craigslist, so they present challenges for selling. They are looking for items that can be easily converted to cash. An old cell phone, clothing, or a used tent are completely worthless as far as they are concerned.

- Regarding the "Are you coming home to me?" text message. I would assume that was made by Annie while she was still at home. That's the only way it makes any sense. She also said she was crying, so we know that before she left she was feeling down.

My gut says suicide. Either in the river or by exposure.

Just read this entire thread and have a few points:

- Cell phones are constantly pinging towers automatically. The pings are stored in a database. On Thursday her phone was probably dead, but LE just has to ask the cell phone company for the last ping. It was probably recorded earlier in the week, but since the car hadn't moved, the ping led them to the car.

- As someone already mentioned, most people going through cars are looking for money or things easily converted to cash. Lots of people leave a substantial amount of change in their cars. And stolen items can't exactly be advertised on craigslist, so they present challenges for selling. They are looking for items that can be easily converted to cash. An old cell phone, clothing, or a used tent are completely worthless as far as they are concerned.

- Regarding the "Are you coming home to me?" text message. I would assume that was made by Annie while she was still at home. That's the only way it makes any sense. She also said she was crying, so we know that before she left she was feeling down.

My gut says suicide. Either in the river or by exposure.

How do we know she was crying? I must have missed it, because that would totally fill in the pieces for me. I have not been sure that my gut feeling about sadness and/or depression was reliable. But if there is some evidence of that, it doesn't matter to me if it was intentional or just being careless, she may have had something or not, to feel better and just slipped.

I just hope that she didn't get abducted and everyone is focusing on a recovery on the mountain. She could've gone up there to find a spot, and left when the weather got icky and then got abducted at her car. This one just baffles me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I just reread the original info about this case. The police said her phone and "camping gear" were in the car. What kind of camping gear? Her roommate said that she didn't take her camping gear, so what was in the car?

How do we know she was crying? I must have missed it, because that would totally fill in the pieces for me. I have not been sure that my gut feeling about sadness and/or depression was reliable. But if there is some evidence of that, it doesn't matter to me if it was intentional or just being careless, she may have had something or not, to feel better and just slipped.

After she texted "Are you coming home to me?" to her roommate she texted an emoticon with a crying face.

The complete text was:

Are you coming home to me? :)
I am (crying emoticon)
I mean did.
Am.
Wut.
Lol.

It's the "crying laughing" emoji. Which, in my experience, means "laughing so hard I'm crying."

It's the "crying laughing" emoji. Which, in my experience, means "laughing so hard I'm crying."
That is what I always thought it meant, also. If we knew what she meant it would help resolve a few things.

I meant to ask before but forgot: what does "Wut" mean?

I'm new, but this case has my attention. "wut" means "what." I'm trying to understand the text. I think it means the roommate was crying/laughing, and then laughed at herself for the mistype/misspeak? I know what each of those words and emojis mean, but together the text is confusing and maybe too young & hip for me to understand.

As an ex-Mormon with a younger sister Annie's age, I am worried she was having a lot of emotional turmoil. Often RMs (return missionaries) have a hard time adjusting back into regular life. That coupled with her Twitter feed worries me. The phone is *very* suspicious.

As I understand, she did take a snapchat on her hike, and that has been confirmed to have occurred Sunday. That means she had her phone with her on the trail, took it back to the car, and then they presume went back up into the trail? Is that correct?

I hope they find her.

The complete text was:

I am (crying emoticon)
I mean did.
Am.
Wut.
Lol.

I think, JMO, she's saying something like:

I am coming home to you. Hahaha.
I mean I did come home to you.
I mean I am home.
Wut.
Lol.

:welcome6: whippetgood!

Thanks for joining us!

You're right, I completely missed the smile. Seems it's called "crying tears of joy."

So she was actually saying, "I am crying tears of joy."
Presumably because her roomate was, in fact, coming home to her. Her roomate could have said, prior to this text, something like "I'm on my way home."
Then this response would make perfect sense.

So I guess the text doesn't really mean anything. She was just kidding around.

I think, JMO, she's saying something like:

I am coming home to you. Hahaha.
I mean I did come home to you.
I mean I am home.
Wut.
Lol.

This is exactly how I interpreted it as well. The only thing would add is that when texting, most phones autofill words as suggestions. She might have meant to ask "Are you coming home tonight?" But the phone could have autofilled "to me" instead. Then she just got silly and texted the "laughing so hard I am crying" emoji. The last text is typical, in my experience of a 21 year old. "Wut" means "What?" but it is also a slang form or a slang exclamation. "Wut" is a shortcut way to say "What am I doing?!?" or "What is going on?!?" but in a laughing and lighthearted, joking, kind of way. It is said with a certain emphasis too: Wa-aa-ut!? I'm old and don't really "get it" but I have overheard enough teens and twenty-somethings use this word to understand they are not just saying "What?" Her last text was poking fun at herself because the text didn't make sense but the roomie likely knew what she meant.

Annie's mother has commented on Annie's page that they are looking for repellers and mountain climbers because they feel they need to check the Columbia River. Not sure how the two are related if there are cliffs around there. But its interesting mom wants to check the river. I wonder if they have received something credible.

Also Damon with the non-profit to organize things is being taken to task for making this seem like a crime scene before its time. I hate groups like his that come in and do nothing but make organization more unorganized. He is refusing anyone talking about the case because it brings on conspiracy theories. And has been actively banning people for saying he is wrong.

I just hope that she didn't get abducted and everyone is focusing on a recovery on the mountain. She could've gone up there to find a spot, and left when the weather got icky and then got abducted at her car. This one just baffles me.

Exactly my line of thinking as well. Is there any way to know if LE is even exploring this? My fear is that the family is at peace with thinking she is gone in the terrain so maybe the LE just closes the case. She really could still be out there and if that is the case, is anyone looking for her?! I think someone took her from the car while she was riding out the storm. Fingerprints? Interviews with Ranger who may have seen the car parked there for so long? So many questions.

Is Annie's facebook still up? I can't seem to find it. Anyone have a link? (I just checked the rules, and a link is okay.)

Edit: Of course, 1 minute after I ask I see a link posted elsewhere. Link.

What is Annie's birthdate? Do any of you all know?

I just reread the original info about this case. The police said her phone and "camping gear" were in the car. What kind of camping gear? Her roommate said that she didn't take her camping gear, so what was in the car?

Yes that is correct, she got a job hiring for a out of state work and it only lasted 1 one month.. this whole thing sound like a ruse by a person. Not anne but someone else. She asked her room mate could she go with her not because she wanted her to go, because I highly doubt her roommate ever went. . It was because she was not comfortable going at all.. Maybe she ditched who ever was there with her.

If she tried to go to California. then time will tell . .

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taketherisk
Back