Found Deceased OR - Anna 'Annie' Schmidt, 21, Columbia River Gorge, 16 Oct 2016

:welcome: Digging4Answers. You make some very good points. I appreciate your local input, especially about women posting about solo hikes on social media.Yikes!!

If you're still here could you edit out the name of the friend who took the mysterious photo. We have some pretty strict social media rules here, for good reasons like privacy, etc.

Here is a link to Forum rules. Social media is at the top. Don't hesitate to ask if you have questions. And keep posting. We all learn by posting. :) We're glad you're here.

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?159-The-Rules

I don't know anything about how snapchat works (have never used it) but I thought it was an app that lets you send brief video messages. I believe the video disappears 10 seconds after it is viewed. I don't know if you can text with snapchat as well. A brief video sent to her dad would explain why her missing poster said the color beanie she was wearing and no other clothing description.

I agree. It sounds to me like it was a selfie just of her face, hence the beanie being known. You can send private comments via snapchat, but they disappear too. It's like texting, but through the App and temporary.

I don't know anything about how snapchat works (have never used it) but I thought it was an app that lets you send brief video messages. I believe the video disappears 10 seconds after it is viewed. I don't know if you can text with snapchat as well. A brief video sent to her dad would explain why her missing poster said the color beanie she was wearing and no other clothing description.

OK, if Snapchat is a video someone else couldn't send it. I suppose she could have sent it under duress. Or more likely the person who could have abducted her was with her when she sent it, and she didn't know she was in trouble yet. All hypothetical of course.

I wonder if anyone tried to get video of Annie at the Pho place and the gas station to make sure it was her using her card? Or to see if anyone was with her/following her?

Oh, I am so sorry! Yes, I will edit, I thought that what I provided had to be verifiable. Give me a few and I will figure it out.

OK, if Snapchat is a video someone else couldn't send it. I suppose she could have sent it under duress. Or more likely the person who could have abducted her was with her when she sent it, and she didn't know she was in trouble yet. All hypothetical of course.

All I know about Snapchat is due to warnings issued in the news about it's danger with predators using it to trick teens into sending inappropriate content. Teens think the video disappears so it will not be seen by anyone else, but there is a way to record the video and the teens end up with their images all over the internet. So it may be able to send something other than video but all I have ever heard about is the video messages and warnings to parents to monitor their kids use of apps like snapchat (or ban it outright until they are old enough to understand the dangers). In another case on here I read that the snapchats don't ever really disappear--LE can retrieve them.

Back to Annie--I find the possibility of foul play is still an option until we are told more info.

Here's another scenario we haven't talked about yet. It's probably much less likely than a hiking accident, but could it be possible?

What if something nefarious happened to Annie? I'm thinking of Whitney Heichel who was carjacked at gun point by an obsessed neighbor, forced to drive to some park or woods, was raped (iirc), killed and dumped. Then the car was dumped elsewhere. What if something like that happened to Annie? Someone who knows her enough to know that she sometimes goes hiking and where. So they kidnap her as she is about to get into her car, force her to drive somewhere remote, assault her (outside the car, so no evidence of assault inside of it), then kill her, and stage the car near the trailhead, making it look like someone broke into it.

In favor of this theory
- it was not good weather for hiking, Annie would have known that
- she did not take her usual hiking gear (beanie, certain shoes etc) with her, as per her roommate
- she has not been found anywhere on the trails

Thoughts?

It's my #2, #1 being an accident. She is a beautiful young lady and seems like the type to talk to or help anyone. I sincerely hope she was not the victim of foul play.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't know a whole lot about Snapchat because it's confusing to begin with, but when you factor in the many "hidden" features that change way too often and you must somehow instinctively know how to use them, I simply cannot keep up.

With that said, here's what I DO know:

SnapChat used to automatically limit the ability to view a snap for an unlimited amount of time. Nowadays, the person sending the snap chooses if they want the picture to disappear after 'X' number of seconds, or after 'X' number of minutes, or not at all.

Users can also post their snap as a "story," which is similar to posting a picture on your FB newsfeed and any/all of their SnapChat friends can view it an unlimited number of times for several days before it disappears.

There IS a texting feature on SnapChat nowadays, as well. Don't ask me how it works exactly, because I don't have a clue, but my BF says that you can.

Oh, I am so sorry! Yes, I will edit, I thought that what I provided had to be verifiable. Give me a few and I will figure it out.

No worries. If the edit button at the bottom of your post still shows, click on it and your post will open in editing mode. Edit and click save. The time to edit is limited, so it may be too late. In that case you can click the red triangle on the bottom left to report the post, explain what happened and a mod will fix it. Trust me, we've all done this a time or two or three or..... :D

I wonder if anyone tried to get video of Annie at the Pho place and the gas station to make sure it was her using her card? Or to see if anyone was with her/following her?

I would imagine LE would make that attempt if the video was still available by the time the case got up to speed.

I would imagine LE would make that attempt if the video was still available by the time the case got up to speed.

I hope so! Even if foul play is not suspected, seeing video of Annie could give insight into how she was feeling/acting that day. She might be on video talking to someone and might have told them about her plans of which trail she wanted to hike. Or a stranger (without any ill intentions) might have even given her a tip of a good trail to take.

I hope so! Even if foul play is not suspected, seeing video of Annie could give insight into how she was feeling/acting that day. She might be on video talking to someone and might have told them about her plans of which trail she wanted to hike. Or a stranger (without any ill intentions) might have even given her a tip of a good trail to take.
Would also give description of what she was wearing.

It is said in the find Annie fb group they do have video of her getting gas in the gorge, however, early in media it said she got gas in Beaverton. Why was she in Beaverton?

It was also said she was posdibly seen on eagle creek trail and said she told a friend she wanted to go to Munra Point. There is a picture on Annie's Twitter of her on a large rock/boulder with SANDALS on looking out over a beautiful view point.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

I don't know a whole lot about Snapchat because it's confusing to begin with, but when you factor in the many "hidden" features that change way too often and you must somehow instinctively know how to use them, I simply cannot keep up.

With that said, here's what I DO know:

SnapChat used to automatically limit the ability to view a snap for an unlimited amount of time. Nowadays, the person sending the snap chooses if they want the picture to disappear after 'X' number of seconds, or after 'X' number of minutes, or not at all.

Users can also post their snap as a "story," which is similar to posting a picture on your FB newsfeed and any/all of their SnapChat friends can view it an unlimited number of times for several days before it disappears.

There IS a texting feature on SnapChat nowadays, as well. Don't ask me how it works exactly, because I don't have a clue, but my BF says that you can.

It works like any other text message except it disappears on its own so you won't see a conversation - just the most recent message received and sent.

Anyone can screenshot a snap and save it forever, and you can also send images from your camera roll (or screenshots or whatever) as snaps.

But no one ever does that. I'm 39, managed many 18-23, I have screen shotted, but it is unusual to them. They know it's happening lol, and aren't that fond of it.

And why wasn't any of those things stolen if the car was ransacked? Even a dead phone is worth some cash!!!

Maybe it wasn't ranscaked per say and maybe they got what they here looking for. That's another way to look at it. But i just wonder if that highway has camera's there should be still image ones for speeding. I wonder if leo will give a polygraph test to the folks that said they saw her walking.. It makes me wonder

Maybe it wasn't ranscaked per say and maybe they got what they here looking for. That's another way to look at it. But i just wonder if that highway has camera's there should be still image ones for speeding. I wonder if leo will give a polygraph test to the folks that said they saw her walking.. It makes me wonder

Dont teens buy new phones before camping gear.

Dont teens buy new phones before camping gear.

Since she was planning a camping trip with her mom, her mom might have purchased the gear for their trip and had it shipped to Annie's apt. Plus, Annie is 21 and was supposedly working (though it seems like her job might have dried up or was soon going away). I do wonder how "old" the phone really was. She used it to take pictures and was active on social media so it could not have been too old. It could have just been the first generation of a smartphone--like an I-phone 4 versus and i-phone 6. If she took a lot of photos and used it a lot for social media the battery would wear down fast no matter how "old" the phone is. JMO.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Amberraff
Back