OR OR - Brian Page, 16, Salem, 12 Jan 1975

Discussion in '1970's Missing' started by Shannon7, Feb 25, 2006.

1. CipherHuntingFamily

CipherHuntingFamily Member

I have not heard anything from the Marion County Sheriff office. I teach at a small private school and am finished next week. I plan to borrow a friends kayak and paddle on over to where the chassis is located.
    This case is very sad. No one looked for Brian then and no authorities are looking for him now. If I can find some any kind of identifying numbers on the VW that would either help rule it in or out.

2. JasonFutchLakeCityFL

JasonFutchLakeCityFL Well-Known Member

Super cool! If I’m free, would you like a tag along? I’d be happy to help with this case

3. CipherHuntingFamily

CipherHuntingFamily Member

What’s the name of your YouTube channel?

JasonFutchLakeCityFL likes this.
  4. JasonFutchLakeCityFL

5. Eleanor Rigby

Eleanor Rigby Well-Known Member

Did the kayak trip to look at the VW take place? Any news to share? TIA

JasonFutchLakeCityFL likes this.
  6. JasonFutchLakeCityFL

He never got back to me when I asked if I could join, so I don’t think it happened. I’m currently trying to find family members who may be willing to talk about Brian’s Case for my YouTube channel.

Eleanor Rigby and Luckyzmom like this.
  7. chasizzler

chasizzler New Member

You could walk out to this spot and see if you could still locate it since you wouldn't need a kayak to get there. The video was taken 8 years ago though, and the chassis is light and in the open, probably visible from the highway 22 bridge. I checked a recent streetview from 2018 on multiple spots on highway 22 and couldn't locate it where the video was taken. That doesn't mean it's not there or that it hasn't moved up the river, where a kayak would be helpful in locating in. It's also possible it's still located on the Minto island and deposited further into the land from high water levels or somebody pulling it up.

It's quite a good lead. I was originally thinking of all the little lakes on State street when I heard that's where David was picked up, but judging where the car dealership was, the Willamette seems much more likely.

This Youtuber also found a VW bug in the Willamette in Portand in 2018 although there is not much information about it.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2019 at 8:22 PM
  8. Eleanor Rigby

Eleanor Rigby Well-Known Member

Thanks for this info. I was wondering why LE wouldn't have checked the VW in the Willamette for identifying information. Maybe they did and it wasn't reported in the media? I also wonder why it has never been removed from the river, along with other vehicles in the river. It seems strange to me that wrecked vehicles are not recovered. A few years ago, in Portland, I saw a wrecked motorcycle down an embankment. It was there over the period of a few days while I was visiting in the area. In OR, is recovering a wrecked vehicle solely the responsibility of the owner?

9. chasizzler

chasizzler New Member

People who saw the chassis are probably just viewing it as some junk in the river, and not even as an actual car that might have a story behind it. I find it plausible that nobody has ever checked for a VIN or license plate number on it. If LE did check for this information, it would seem very odd for them to just leave it in the water.

If somebody is able to locate it, these are the places that the VIN would likely be found: "Under the back seat, stamped on the floor pan just forward of the transmission linkage access cover, On the chassis identification plate (a silver aluminum plate riveted in the trunk, near the spare tire)."

TBH, it would be quite lucky that this information would be available or that the car can even be located after the last sighting 8 years ago, but I think it's worth a shot.

annemc2 likes this.