Identified! OR - Cave Junction, 'Annie Doe' WhtFem UP10929, 16-20, Redwood Hwy, Aug'71 - Annie Lehman

Discussion in 'Identified!' started by Khavna, Jul 7, 2006.

1. Owutatangledweb

Owutatangledweb Well-Known Member

2. Alleykins

Alleykins Well-Known Member

3. Alleykins

I'm thinking there may be a road block or snag. I'm no genealogist, but poking around the ancestral lineages has me shaking my head. I can understand where they might be at a standstill. Now I have a small idea what my great aunt may have gone through, and she didn't have the internet for research. She did everything by snail mail, phone calls and visits to archives, libraries and cemeteries. Much respect to those researchers' patience!

4. the_missing

the_missing Member

The most obvious thing that occurs to me (I know absolutely nothing about genealogy) is that they need to figure out which one of Mr and Mrs Vanstone's kids Annie is descended from, ie. they need to figure out which branch of the Vanstone family Annie hails from.

In other words, this is a case for Kiwi genealogists, for now at least.

5. MarziPanda

MarziPanda Well-Known Member

Not necessarily. They also said that Annie could be descended from a sibling of either Mr Vanstone or Mrs Vanstone. If that's the case, Annie might not be a kiwi and her family may have never been to NZ, if they're a relative of one of these two who either never left England (which would make Annie English or having English parents) or moved to the US (which would make her American but perhaps with English grandparents or great grandparents). There are still other possibilities. Her being descended from these two particular ancestors is still very likely but not the only option.

6. AmonAmarther

AmonAmarther Nadia

That what I was thinking! It could also be what other websleuthers exposed (they're stuck in their research) :(, but I hope they released all that info to have an attractive story and encourage Kiwis to upload their DNA.

Owutatangledweb and Gardener1850 like this.
  7. Owutatangledweb

Owutatangledweb Well-Known Member

I don't belong to those sites either, but I'm sure as DNADoe narrows the tree they are working on, they will get to these lists if there is an American connection. I also think it's very possible that she came through Canada.

FireOwl9, Gardener1850, dotr and 2 others like this.
  8. sunnynz

sunnynz Well-Known Member

Ok now this is a weird little - unrelated - coincidence and probably too off topic to post here but it's so odd that I had to...

Little River is in a small and fairly low population area called Banks Peninsula. Googling the Vanstones of Banks Peninsula came up with this guy Graham Vanstone who went missing in 1999 never to be seen again.
    Banks Peninsula vineyards prove their worth
    Where are they?

Given the size of the area and the fact it's a less common surname, I would be pretty confident that Graham is a descendant of Richard and Harriet.

9. Mrs. Badcrumble

Mrs. Badcrumble The North remembers

Well, that's... fifty shades of eerie :eek:

10. Gardener1850

Gardener1850 #RememberingCupcake

Wow, great find. I'm working on the Vanstone family tree in my spare time (which is not much this week as Thanksgiving is approaching). I'm going to see if I can connect him to Richard and Harriet. Did you send that to DNA Doe Project? (they probably know but just in case)

carbuff and sunnynz like this.
  11. Gardener1850

I started a thread for Graham Vanstone: New Zealand - Graham Vanstone, Missing Millionaire from Akaroa, NZ, 5 Sept 1999

Suglo and sunnynz like this.
  12. sunnynz

I didn't but I will do that now. Thanks

Gardener1850 likes this.
  13. Gardener1850

I have found the connection. The missing Graham John Vanstone is a Great Grandson of Richard and Harriet (I won't post any other names but the link is easy to find in public family trees). He disappeared in 1999 on Father's day at the age of 49. He had two sons (see MSM articles on his thread). I don't believe Graham is old enough to be Annie Doe's father-- if my math is right they would have been close in age. I wonder if perhaps Graham's sons or grandchildren have contributed their DNA to GedMatch hoping to find Graham? Just speculating that that may be why DDP was able to make a connection to the family line. If they have not uploaded their DNA, this may be another mystery that could be solved if they did. I hope his family would consider it if they have not already. JMO.

14. carbuff

carbuff Well-Known Member

That is a strange coincidence.

Owutatangledweb and Suglo like this.
  15. Mrs. Badcrumble

There used to be a called vanstoneweb.co.uk , but unfortunately it's no longer operational. I did, however, manage to open various screenshots of that page on Wayback, and there's a seven part PDF named A History of The Vanstones of New Zealand by Carol Bell (see link below) That would be an interesting read...

The Vanstone Web

Edit: Carol Bell seem to be a person of interest when it comes to genealogy and the Vanstone family in NZ (she is a descendant). Her name comes up quite often in forums.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 19, 2018
  16. carbuff

carbuff Well-Known Member

Owutatangledweb and sunnynz like this.
  17. sunnynz

This is so interesting.

I passed on the tip to DDP via their Facebook page as a comment on the Annie Doe post. They were thankful and said it was the first they knew of Graham Vanstone. Hopefully every piece of information is a piece added to the puzzle.

By the way, if you look at the comment I wrote on the DDP post, the name I use on Facebook for sleuthing stuff is not my real name - I private message some shady people as part of these pursuits so I like to protect my identity!

18. Mrs. Badcrumble

19. Mrs. Badcrumble

Update: Managed to get a hold of that PDF, and the last chapter deals with Richard James and Harriet Ellen Vanstone from page 58 and forward. It mentions their daughters, but stops there (I suppose it's because of privacy protections). Do you think DDP is aware of Carol Bell? She's the author of this text.

Attached Files:

20. Alleykins

Has DDP given any indication what their roadblocks are or where they're getting tripped up? I imagine they have some of the best genealogy & research volunteers on their team, so I'm thinking if their experts are stumped, it has to be something of note.

folieadeuxnola likes this.