Identified! OR - Cave Junction, 'Annie Doe' WhtFem UP10929, 16-20, Redwood Hwy, Aug'71 - Annie Lehman

Discussion in 'Identified!' started by Khavna, Jul 7, 2006.

1. Earth

Earth Well-Known Member

The problem is that I am starting to trust isotope testing about as far as I can throw a Parthenon pillar.

2. carbuff

carbuff Well-Known Member

Rest in peace, Ms. Lehman. I hope justice follows now that you've been identified.

Nice work @KLEE and Dr. Vance and all the other LE people who put in so much effort to make sure this case was solved, as well as Margaret and all the people at DDP. It's a new world for sure.

Jim_M, dizzigirl1, Roselvr and 8 others like this.
  3. YESorNO

YESorNO The Queen (aka "mrsmuir") SWBB

Remains positively ID’d as Aberdeen woman missing nearly 50 years

Mar 15th, 2019

"The remains of a young woman found in August of 1971 in a dump site near Cave Junction, Ore., have been positively identified as those of Anne Marie Lehman, who went missing or ran away from Aberdeen in late 1970 or early 1971.

She was 16 or 17 when she left home and would be in her mid-60s now....

The cause and manner of death have never been determined, but Oregon officials are working on the basis of it being foul play....
    <modsnipped to comply with 10% copyright rule>

https://www.thedailyworld.com/news/remains-positively-idd-as-aberdeen-woman-missing-nearly-50-years/

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 16, 2019
    Jim_M, scmom, Roselvr and 7 others like this.
  4. Owutatangledweb

Owutatangledweb Well-Known Member

Rest In Peace "Annie" Angel. You had your name the whole time. Now you have your identity and your family, some closure. Fly high!

Jim_M, Roselvr, dotr and 5 others like this.
  5. JasonFutchLakeCityFL

JasonFutchLakeCityFL Well-Known Member

I want to let everyone here know that me and a friend who lives in Cave Junction and had been researching her case are planning to put together a memorial program for Anne-Marie in Cave Junction soon. We are working out location details right now but we are planning for possibly Anne-Marie’s program to be at Wild River Brewing and Pizza on Hwy 199 in Cave Junction, however this can change.

We plan to invite everyone involved in this case and invite the public to attend, should anyone on WS be inclined to come. If you live in Oregon or close, we encourage you to come!

Details are forthcoming. Stay tuned.

Blurgle, theshadow45, Jim_M and 18 others like this.
  6. carbuff

Oh what a wonderful idea. I'll be there in spirit.

Jim_M, Alleykins, sunnynz and 7 others like this.
  7. Roselvr

Roselvr Ask me how to get your loved one in NamUs

So very happy to see she has her name back but so sad for her family. I hope they're able to get answers to what happened to her

8. Earth

Earth Well-Known Member

9. Diego in Italy

Diego in Italy Member

Hi Carl Koppelman, I live in Italy and am interested in the identification of italian soldiers killed in Russia in 1941-42; their skeletons are arriving in Italy from the Kirov region, and only few of them have a name. Could you be interested in helping to identify one of them by a facial reconstruction of his skull? Thanks and greetings from Italy.

10. CarlK90245

CarlK90245 UID Moderator Staff Member Moderator

I wish I had the time. I am now working a full time job, and any spare time is spent doing genealogical research for DNA Doe Project. I have a couple drawing projects set aside, but it is difficult to find the time to work on them anymore.

Calixo, Roselvr, Jim_M and 10 others like this.
  11. Diego in Italy

Diego in Italy Member

Ok, thanks anyway. What is the activity of the DNA Doe Project, are you a biologist? Last question: do you know anybody else having skills in facial reconstruction from skulls?

dotr likes this.
  12. CarlK90245

I am not a biologist. I primarily help them out with building family trees on the DNA matches. I'm currently working on the Ventura Jane Doe case. Since she's a Hispanic woman, her case requires people who can read old Mexican civil registry entries (written in Spanish, and often in sloppy handwriting) dating as far back as the 1700's. I can read Spanish, but few of our volunteers can.

I know of a few people who do that, but I don't know anyone to whom I could refer you.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2019
    cvaldez1975, Calixo, Roselvr and 5 others like this.
  13. TmmEye

TmmEye WhyDoYouAsk?

I’m not one to be judge mental, but if you enjoy the art projects, make it a full time job. Become an artist. Once you find light from the end of the tunnel, maybe success can find you.

14. Diego in Italy

Diego in Italy Member

DNA Doe Project seems interesting, I will read about it. Thanks Carl.

Suglo likes this.
  15. Diego in Italy

Diego in Italy Member

Ventura County Jane Doe (1980)

"She is currently undergoing testing by the DNA Doe Project. DNA sequencing was announced to be complete. A third cousin of the victim has been identified."

Why the detectives have the DNA of the third cousin, is he a criminal?

Roselvr likes this.
  16. CarlK90245

Detectives don't have the DNA of the third cousin. The third cousin is one of the approximately 1 million people who have their DNA profiles in GEDMatch. DNA Doe Project (DDP) runs the Jane Doe's DNA through GEDMatch, and gets a list of persons who are related in some way to the Jane Doe. The proximity of the relationship is also included as an estimate.

In this instance, DDP disclosed a few months ago, that their closest match to Ventura Jane Doe was approximately a third cousin.

With the list of related people, DDP then constructs family trees using information from various sources (primarily Ancestry.com), in the attempt to find common ancestors. Once the common ancestors are identified, they can then build those persons' family trees downward to find the common descendants of the common ancestors. If you can find the common descendants of the common ancestors you are likely to have found the immediate family (within a generation or two) of the person you are trying to identify.

17. Diego in Italy

Diego in Italy Member

Very interesting explanation, thanks Carl.

18. Bit of hope

Bit of hope Well-Known Member

I bow deep for everyone who played a role in the identification of "Annie Doe". Rest in Peace Ms. Lehman.

Jim_M, FireOwl9, carbuff and 3 others like this.
  19. Roselvr

Roselvr Ask me how to get your loved one in NamUs

It can be very time consuming to make trees. People not into genealogy think it's easy, that anyone can do what you and DDP do

20. carbuff

That is so true. Some of the younger Carbuffs have had DNA done recently and received suggestions for possible relatives, and I'm like, who are these people? There's a person who shows up as being related on two different sides of the family who we didn't think even lived in the same part of the country, let alone near enough to join DNA? One branch of the family was split up after the mother died; several children were raised by relatives with different names. And we all have relatively common names, so when we go on ancestry or other sites, it's almost impossible to tell whether we're looking at one of our ancestors or somebody with similar names and dates. And did I mention that most of them couldn't spell?

And I thought we had a fairly good grasp of our family tree. Nope!