GUILTY OR - Dan Brophy, fatally shot at Oregon Culinary Institute, 2 June 2018 *Wife Arrested*

Monday, May 16th:
*Trial continues (Day 20) (@ 9am PT) – OR - Daniel Craig Brophy (63) (June 2, 2018, Portland) – *Nancy Lee Crampton-Brophy (68/now 71) “wife” arrested (9/5/18), charged (9/6/18) & arraigned (9/17/18) with felony murder & unlawful use of a weapon. Plead not guilty. Held without bond. Bond was denied (4/29/20).
Trial began on 3/14/22 with jury selection & ended 3/18/22. Trial began on 4/4/22 (expected to last to 5/20/22). Prosecutors rested their case on 4/21/22. Defense started their case on 4/27/22 & 5/2/22.
Court hearings from 9/6/18 thru 2/18/22 & Jury selection Day 1-5 (3/14 to 3/18/22) & Trial Day 1-19 (4/4 to 5/12/22) reference post #331 here:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...tute-3-june-2018-wife-arrested.375803/page-17

5/13/22 Friday, Trial: The defense brought people to the stand to question the validity of a witness who shared a jail space with Brophy. Prosecutors & Brophy’s defense team presented arguments about whether to allow the state to bring in a former cellmate of Brophy’s as a rebuttal witness, Anndrea Jacobs, although Judge Christopher Ramras ultimately said he would wait until Monday, 5/16/22 to announce his decision. Defense attorney Kristen Winemiller told Judge Ramras there was “no way” the trial could conclude by May 20 if the judge allowed Jacobs to appear as a rebuttal witness after the defense rests. “To respond to this would require a significant investigation,” Winemiller said. “It’s just simply too late, after they’ve rested, to bring in another witness of this magnitude.”
for more info see post #332 & 333 here:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...tute-2-june-2018-wife-arrested.375803/page-17
Trial continues on Monday, 5/16/22 for Day 20.

This content is not available in your country/region.​

:(

The potential witness, Anndrea Jacobs, allegedly heard Brophy admit she was just feet away from Daniel when he was shot twice.
A former US associate district attorney testified Jacobs “has shown herself to be such a prolific and skilled liar,” but also acknowledged that 4 years in prison is a common sentence for similar crimes as Jacobs’.

Judge Christopher Ramras is expected to rule on Monday whether Jacobs can testify.

Defense testimony in the case will resume with the jury present.

She is finally testifying! This is gonna be interesting to hear her side of the story….

I will have to watch this in the morning - and will post the links to the sessions. I am 10 hours ahead of Pacific time - so that is why I'm getting ready for bed... :)

Nancy is going ALL over down these (as she calls them repeatedly) "rabbit holes" with her long and meandering answers from her attorney. She has laughed and joked many times now and certainly painting a picture of this nicer old lady.

It will be really interesting on cross if and when (as I think they will try) for the State to ask some questions that get her mad and may paint an entirely different image of her in front of the jury. I am not sure entirely yet, but so far I don't think this is an act, and if it is she is acting really well as this person who answers these questions, gives all sorts of helpful and unhelpful additional information and even confusing her attorneys about which question they just asked because of her lengthy answers. She was so jolly when she got to use the pointer and point out things on aerial images of the property. :p

[...]
During Crampton Brophy's testimony on Monday, she spoke glowingly of Daniel Brophy, calling him smart, bright, funny, kind and humble. She said they had a strong relationship and that she misses him.
[...]
On Monday, before Crampton Brophy took the stand, Judge Christopher Ramras ruled that he'll allow Andrea Jacobs, a former cellmate of Crampton Brophy's, to be called to the stand as a rebuttal witness if her testimony refutes claims made during the defense's presentation of their case.
[...]

KOIN Portland
KOIN Portland
[...]
Before Crampton Brophy's testimony, the attorneys in the case and Judge Christopher Ramras discussed the controversial rebuttal witness the prosecution hopes to call. Prosecutors say Anndrea Jacobs was in jail with Crampton Brophy and claims Crampton Brophy told her she was feet away at the time of the shooting.

The defense has argued that Jacobs is not a trustworthy witness and that she might be motivated to testify in order to benefit herself in a Medicaid fraud case she's being investigated for. Jacobs is currently serving a prison sentence in Texas for crimes committed in Oregon.

The judge ruled the defense can ask Jacobs what years her previous criminal acts occurred, but cannot ask questions about specific acts she committed. They can also ask about her bias and if her testimony in this case will assist her negotiation.

The defense will also be allowed to call witnesses with knowledge of Jacobs' dishonest reputation.

Ramras said what the prosecution can ask Jacobs will depend on what Crampton Brophy says in her testimony. If Crampton Brophy says she does not remember seeing Brophy killed or wasn't there, but Jacobs says Crampton Brophy told her otherwise, then her testimony will be allowed.
[...]

for Monday, May 16th - morning session

afternoon session:

Tuesday, May 17th:
*Trial continues (Day 21) (@ 9am PT) – OR - Daniel Craig Brophy (63) (June 2, 2018, Portland) – *Nancy Lee Crampton-Brophy (68/now 71) “wife” arrested (9/5/18), charged (9/6/18) & arraigned (9/17/18) with felony murder & unlawful use of a weapon. Plead not guilty. Held without bond. Bond was denied (4/29/20).
Trial began on 3/14/22 with jury selection & ended 3/18/22. Trial began on 4/4/22 (expected to last to 5/20/22). Prosecutors rested their case on 4/21/22. Defense started their case on 4/27/22 & 5/2/22.
Court hearings from 9/6/18 thru 2/18/22 & Jury selection Day 1-5 (3/14 to 3/18/22) & Trial Day 1-19 (4/4 to 5/12/22) & 5/13/22 reference post #342 here:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...tute-3-june-2018-wife-arrested.375803/page-18

Judge Christopher Ramras is expected to rule on Monday whether Anndrea Jacobs can testify.
5/16/22 Monday, Trial Day 20: Judge Christopher Ramras ruled that he'll allow Anndrea Jacobs, a former cellmate of Crampton Brophy's, to be called to the stand as a rebuttal witness if her testimony refutes claims made during the defense's presentation of their case.
for more info see post #351 & 352 here:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...tute-2-june-2018-wife-arrested.375803/page-18
Defense witness: Nancy Cramption-Brophy.
for more info see post #353 here – morning & afternoon sessions. Her testimony will continue tomorrow.
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...tute-2-june-2018-wife-arrested.375803/page-18
Trial continues on 5/17/22.

[...]
On the stand, Crampton Brophy said she had “absolutely no memory” of the 6.5-mile trip she took from the couple’s Beaverton home to Portland’s Goose Hollow neighborhood until an attorney presented her with video showing her minivan in the area.

“How can this have happened and me not remember this?” Crampton Brophy testified, recalling her mental state when she saw the footage. “My mind kind of goes blank with the horror of it.”
[...]
Patricia Warford, a psychologist hired by the defense, told jurors last week that traumatic experiences can erase memories for hours before and after the event, and that Crampton Brophy was likely suffering from “retrograde amnesia” in not recalling the trip.
[...]
As the day neared its end, Crampton Brophy’s attorney posed a final question. “Did you kill Dan Brophy?” Maxfield asked.

“No, I didn’t,” Crampton Brophy replied.

Nancy Brophy's testimony account of June 2, 2018 varies drastically from what she told detectives
PORTLAND, Ore. (KOIN) – Accused murderer and Oregon romance novelist Nancy Crampton Brophy claims she has a “memory hole.” She can remember some details from the morning her husband was killed, but not all of them.

The story she told in court Tuesday was much different from what she allegedly told detectives on June 2, 2018.
[...]
Overstreet asked her if she has no memory of what she was doing while driving around, how does she know she didn’t go in the Oregon Culinary Institute building?

Crampton Brophy replied saying, “I know I didn’t go in the building because I know I didn’t kill Dan. I know that for a fact.”
[...]

PORTLAND, Ore. (KOIN) —
[...]
Crampton Brophy took the stand in her defense for much of Monday, denying any role in her husband Daniel Brophy’s June 2018 slaying at the now-defunct Oregon Culinary Institute, before prosecutors began their cross-examination with an hour left in the day’s proceedings. It resumed on Tuesday morning with prosecutors continuing to ask Crampton Brophy about the Glock 17 handgun she bought at a gun show in Portland and her allegedly foggy memories from the morning her husband was killed.
[...]

Prosecutors drilled down into the amnesia defense, missing gun barrel and the emotional temperament of Nancy Crampton Brophy as the Oregon romance writer’s trial in the killing of her chef husband reached a crescendo Tuesday.
[...]
“If there was one thing that you know about murder, is it that anyone is capable of doing it?” Overstreet asked.

Yes, said Crampton Brophy, to protect a loved one, but her case was different.

Their financial woes were over by 2018, Crampton Brophy said, and that period was one of the couple’s “happiest times.”

“I do better with Dan alive financially than I do with Dan dead,” she said. “Where is the motivation I would ask you? An editor would laugh and say, ‘I think you need to work harder on this story, you have a big hole in it.’”
[...]

I have never witness anything close to as toxic as NB's cross. She basically says no one was traumatized by DB's death, other than her and maybe her mother-in-law. Everyone else went back to school, graduated, and moved on with their lives. She gave as an example the poor young woman who gave DB CPR with blood spurting out of the bullet hole. She thought it was her fault: she had broken a rib trying to save his life. There were all the young people who were permanently damaged that day. Even the young woman cop seems not to have been unscathed.
And then there was the jailhouse conversation with her niece [Sa] about a month ago....she called these young people "little girls", and how their trauma was all about them, not sorrow for DB.

This was an entire morning of evil. The prosecutor pretends he's Joe Average. He spent yesterday mumbling, hemming, and hawing. He's used this technique with every defense witness. You'd think he was incompetent, and then he comes out with STUFF....

If you listen to one piece of this trial, check this piece out:

I really don’t see why she took the stand. I’m guessing she loves the attention and thinks she is smarter then everyone else. If anything, her taking the stand not only didn’t help her, I think it hurt her. I wouldn’t be surprised if he defense didn’t try to convince her not to take the stand but she insisted otherwise. Today there was one moment where she looked like she was about to explode, but then quickly “composes” her self.

I also can’t believe how rude she was about the student who tried to save Dan’s life. Nancy is a real special type of person, that’s for sure.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannahdunnam
Back