OR OR - Derrick Engebretson, 8, Bonanza, 5 Dec 1998

This case has puzzled me from the start, I remember watching this on the news back in 1998. I was 18 at the time and live a few hours from here, its seems odd that nobody could find a thing on him. It leads me to believe that someone was watching the boy, not just while out for the Christmas tree but for awhile. Nobody but close family maybe friends would of known they went out there for a Christmas tree. Just means someone must of been watching and knew an excellent time to kidnap him. Very sad that nothing new has come up over the last 13 years.

I have not heard a thing on the news in years, I think back when it was pretty huge nothing much was ever mentioned either. Maybe for a week or two but I just don't understand why nothing more. He was a young child missing from a remote area, out for fun with family.

That is the first time I have heard they knew Derrick made it back to the truck or that they saw a snow angel he had made. That definitely throws a wrench a in the idea that he froze to death on the mountain. Of course he could have turned around and went back into the woods but I think he was old enough to know that he should wait by the truck. What a stroke a bad luck and timing that a young boy gets separated from his parents only to run into a child molester and killer - if that is the case.

My thoughts exactly.

Poor family.

I found this thread because of Derrick's case being on the Have You seen Me? notice in this Sunday paper redplum.com insert.
I remember hearing about this case years ago.
It's been almost fifteen years since he disappeared and no remains have ever been found. I pray Derrick is still alive and hopefully he can also see this same notice and recognize himself.
What a miracle it would be this Christmas season for him and his family to have a joyful closure.

I assume Derrick is dead, killed by Milligan who, BTW, had a job working with children.

I tracked this case for years and read every article I could get my hands on. I have/had a voluminous file somewhere in my office. Derrick's disappearance just about tore his family apart. Still sad after so many years.

To this day nothing has ever been found, no clothes, no hatchet, no remains, nothing...

This brings us to an individual named Frank James Milligan. Through extensive research my research partner (justiceseeker1) and I found the link between this man and Derrick Engebretson. At the time, Mr. Milligan drove a 1998 Black Honda which was spotted in the area of Derricks disappearance just before he went missing. at the time, Mr. Milligan was employed by The State of Oregon counseling trouble juveniles. At the time, Mr. Milligan had already committed sodomy and attempted murder of a 10 year old Salem boy.

Frank James Milligan

HIS CAR

Mr. Milligan drove a 1998 black Honda. The car WAS searched by LE during the investigation of the Salem boy's case with nothing found pertaining to Derricks case. Mr. Milligan's car was spotted in the area of Derricks disappearance at the time of Derricks disappearance by multiple witnesses.

HIS JOB:

Mr. Milligan was employed by the State of Oregon as a Troubled Juvenal councilor. Mr. Milligan often traveled across Oregon counseling troubled juveniles including locations such as Burns, Salem, Portland, etc..

HIS PAST:

On July 2, 1999 Milligan was arrested for sexually molesting an 11-year-old boy in 1997 to whom he had become a "father figure."
His bail was set at $250,000. His mother posted the bail and he was released from jail.

In March of 2000, the prosecutors asked the court to revoke Milligan's bail for associating with children. The judge refused to return Frank Milligan to jail.

On July 14, 2000 Frank Milligan pled guilty to one count of sex abuse, and two counts of attempted sodomy.

On July 11, 2000, a 10-year-old Oregon boy was abducted from a park. His throat was slashed when he resisted the abductor's attempts to fondle him. He was dumped under some bushes in a field near Salem, and left for dead. The boy survived his injuries and flagged down a passing motorist who took him to the hospital.

On August 09, 2000, Frank Milligan was arrested.

On August 11, 2000 Milligan was charged with kidnapping, sex abuse, and attempted aggravated murder for his attack of the 10-year-old boy.

Milligan received a 6 year and three month sentence for the sex abuse conviction on the 11-year-old boy.

In August Of 2001, Frank Milligan pleaded guilty to kidnapping, sexual abuse and attempted murder for the attack on the 10-year-old boy. He was sentenced to 30 years in prison.

That sentence will begin after he serves the six year sentence for the sexual abuse of the 11-yr-old boy.

Further research by law enforcement showed Milligan had owned books on serial killers John Wayne Gacy, Ted Bundy and others. He stalked children in e-mails pretending to be a 13-year-old boy and was found to collect child *advertiser censored*.

HIS CURRENT:
Mr. Milligan is currently incarcerated for two different cases. Attempted murder and rape. Mr. Milligan has made a partial confession to Derricks murder but since has recanted. Mr. Milligan is leading LE to believe Derrick is dead and buried in the Burns Oregon area.

Last edited:
Mr. Milligan IS THE ONLY person the police should be looking at........ HE DID IT! I am 99.9% sure of it!

Exactly- a black honda accord was spotted there when Derrick went missing. That same black honda was with a boy struggling. le discovered Frank had a black honda at the time.

Derrick was also featured during a "Missing Children" segment at the end of a 7th Heaven episode titled Lost during Season 6 in 2001!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back