OR OR - Jay Pringle, 17, Medford, 19 April 1977

Here is a recent local story with some interesting details:

Jay met Kellogg at a local bus station where Jay worked bussing tables.

His mother successfully sued Kellogg for restitution of the money. She had given it to Kellogg originally because she thought he would take better care of it on the trip.

Jay disappeared from the motel room in L.A. (presumably Gardena) after a falling out with Kellogg.

Kellogg didn’t show up for two polygraphs and eventually moved to Washington state and died in 2011.

Pringle’s mother moved around the country and re-married a couple of times. She returned eventually to Oregon and died in 2006.

In the video, the detective said he interviewed Kellogg for about five hours and couldn’t tell for sure whether he did or didn’t do something to Jay.

Video at link.
http://www.kdrv.com/content/news/452811563.html

They say that Jay went missing from a motelroom in LA

Do you think there are still family members who are on the look out for Jay?

I doubt anyone is actively looking at this point, unless they are checking for UIDs periodically. Any siblings would be getting up in years, not that age stops those of us on WS in our 60’s and 70’s. :) I always hope family members run across these old threads and that it helps to know that strangers care.

They say that Jay went missing from a motelroom in LA

Gardena is part of the LA metro area, which consists of quite a few smaller cities. Often people say they are “from LA” when they mean one of these places because they figure someone who isn’t from there wouldn’t know it. I say I grew up in the SF Bay Area because my hometown isn’t well known, for example.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gardena,_California

Those glasses he is wearing are unique. If any UIDS are found, I would hope that if the glasses were found, that they will take a picture and post.

That’s a really good point. According to Namus he was myopic (near sighted) and they were gold wire rimless frames. He appears to be wearing rimless frames in the photo wearing headphones. In the other photo he appears to be wearing John Lennon style frames, which aren’t rimless.

https://www.findthemissing.org/cases/1740/8

https://nypost.com/2015/05/06/you-can-buy-john-lennons-iconic-eyeglasses-at-auction/

I doubt anyone is actively looking at this point, unless they are checking for UIDs periodically. Any siblings would be getting up in years, not that age stops those of us on WS in our 60’s and 70’s. :) I always hope family members run across these old threads and that it helps to know that strangers care.

Gardena is part of the LA metro area, which consists of quite a few smaller cities. Often people say they are “from LA” when they mean one of these places because they figure someone who isn’t from there wouldn’t know it. I say I grew up in the SF Bay Area because my hometown isn’t well known, for example.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gardena,_California

Thanks for clearing that up about Gardena. Kelloggs doesn't seem a natural born killer to me, where could he have left Jay's body (if he killed him) in a city never to be found. in the years that followed? What is Gardena like? Is there or was there in the 70's a lot of rural land?

Thanks for clearing that up about Gardena. Kelloggs doesn't seem a natural born killer to me, where could he have left Jay's body (if he killed him) in a city never to be found. in the years that followed? What is Gardena like? Is there or was there in the 70's a lot of rural land?

There is an interesting comment by “L” on 4/23/14 after this article by Sean Munger. She describes Gardena in the ‘70’s and explains why she thinks it’s possible Jay did end up there and disappear, possibly by accident.

She says there were many legal gambling card rooms and nefarious activities connected with them. Three major interstate freeways intersected at Gardena. There were many junkyards, the Ascot Racetrack and open industrial spaces. There were vacant houses nearby that had been seized to build the 105 freeway. There was record rainfall that year with mud, floods and temporary lakes. She can imagine a drunken man stumbling out of a cardroom, waiting for his friend by the 91 on-ramp and possibly getting lost in a flooded junkyard, falling into a construction site or getting lost in the Dominguez Slough wetlands (now known as the Gardena Willows Wetlands).

https://seanmunger.com/2014/04/19/disappeared-jay-pringle-missing-37-years-today/

There is an interesting comment by “L” on 4/23/14 after this article by Sean Munger. She describes Gardena in the ‘70’s and explains why she thinks it’s possible Jay did end up there and disappear, possibly by accident.

She says there were many legal gambling card rooms and nefarious activities connected with them. Three major interstate freeways intersected at Gardena. There were many junkyards, the Ascot Racetrack and open industrial spaces. There were vacant houses nearby that had been seized to build the 105 freeway. There was record rainfall that year with mud, floods and temporary lakes. She can imagine a drunken man stumbling out of a cardroom, waiting for his friend by the 91 on-ramp and possibly getting lost in a flooded junkyard, falling into a construction site or getting lost in the Dominguez Slough wetlands (now known as the Gardena Willows Wetlands).

https://seanmunger.com/2014/04/19/disappeared-jay-pringle-missing-37-years-today/

Thanks Lilibet, that explains a lot. I wonder how much money was involved? I read Jay's mother gave money for the trip to Kellogs for save keeping. Maybe it was a lot more after gambling (or a lot less). In that case Kellogs would have known that and they argued about that (pure speculation of course) Was Gardena a special place you would go to if you like to or want to gamble?

Thanks Lilibet, that explains a lot. I wonder how much money was involved? I read Jay's mother gave money for the trip to Kellogs for save keeping. Maybe it was a lot more after gambling (or a lot less). In that case Kellogs would have known that and they argued about that (pure speculation of course) Was Gardena a special place you would go to if you like to or want to gamble?

I wouldn’t say Gardena was a special place to gamble like Las Vegas and Reno. Gambling is much more limited in CA than NV. Gardena was perhaps well known locally for its card rooms. I doubt Jay could have gambled at all in either Gardena or Las Vegas due to his age, but Kellogg could. If gambling was his “thing,” the money Jay’s mother entrusted to him would be tempting. Perhaps that was why he and Jay had a falling out, if that’s true.

Here is more info on gambling in CA.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gambling_in_California

I wouldn’t say Gardena was a special place to gamble like Las Vegas and Reno. Gambling is much more limited in CA than NV. Gardena was perhaps well known locally for its card rooms. I doubt Jay could have gambled at all in either Gardena or Las Vegas due to his age, but Kellogg could. If gambling was his “thing,” the money Jay’s mother entrusted to him would be tempting. Perhaps that was why he and Jay had a falling out, if that’s true.

Here is more info on gambling in CA.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gambling_in_California

@Lilibet Just interested...Do you have something special with Stephanie Anne Warner?

I wish we know more about the motel in LA he was missing from, but I'm not sure about that at all. Kellogs played his cards out in a for him convenient way, no prove at all....(I think they should have punched him....NOOOO but still)

@Lilibet Just interested...Do you have something special with Stephanie Anne Warner?

I never knew Stephanie, sadly. She lived in my county, abut 45 minutes away, but spent a lot of time in my town. Stephanie was close to my daughter’s age when she disappeared, so I was attracted to the case. What really got me involved was seeing an interview with her “boyfriend” Lennie Ames and his son that leaked guilt. Now that the case has gone quiet, I try to post monthly on the 4th so that any family reading will know she hasn’t been forgotten. I like to encourage WSers to “adopt” a quiet thread and do the same. :)

Could this be Jay? This body was found decomposed in June 1977....I'm not sure decomposition goes that quick. The UID is slightly older btw.

3103UMCA

I've searched for the Bahdihi Road Bridge, but couldn't find it. Maybe wrong spelling? In Namus there is a map of the finding place but I couldn't find a Bahdihi road or bridge anywhere around. Does anybody know where it is?

Could this be Jay? This body was found decomposed in June 1977....I'm not sure decomposition goes that quick. The UID is slightly older btw.

3103UMCA

I've searched for the Bahdihi Road Bridge, but couldn't find it. Maybe wrong spelling? In Namus there is a map of the finding place but I couldn't find a Bahdihi road or bridge anywhere around. Does anybody know where it is?
Wondering if Jay was wearing work shoes?
The UID..rbbm.
"Height:
5'9"
Weight: 143 to 150 lbs.
Hair: Brown hair with light beard from sideburns to chin.

Clothing & Personal Items
Clothing: Dark blue t-shirt; blue Levis; hard-toe work shoes."

3103UMCA

According to the coroner site, this UID was found in the LA river under the Bahdihi Rd Bridge. Is there any connection to Gardena (LA)?

Los Angeles County Medical Examiner-Coroner

Jay Calvin Pringle
JCPringle.jpg
JCPringle1.jpg
JCPringle2.jpg
JCPringle3.jpg

The images on the right have been age-progressed to 50 and 55 years.

Name: Jay Calvin Pringle
Case Classification: Endangered Missing
Missing Since: April 19, 1977
Location Last Seen: Medford, Jackson County, Oregon

Physical Description
Date of Birth: July 2, 1959
Race: White
Height: 5'10"
Weight: 150 lbs.
Hair Color: Brown
Eye Color: Brown
Nickname/Alias: Unknown
Distinguishing Marks/Features: Scars on knees from a automobile accident, Scar on left elbow, Scar on his left and a scar on left eye, Scar on calf, Wears glasses, Slender build

Identifiers
Dentals: Available
Fingerprints: Not Available
DNA: Available

Clothing: Army Jacket, Pants, Blue Bandana around head
Jewelry: Unknown
Additional Personal Items: Gold wire rimless glasses, He was last seen carrying a brown/green wool blanket and a suitcase

Circumstances of Disappearance
Circumstances of Disappearance Jay Pringle left Medford, Oregon with a friend on a trip to California. He was last seen on April 19, 1977 in Gardena, California, allegedly when Pringle and friend argued and split up. Pringle made friends with an unknown person and allegedly left with him. Prior to the missing date he resided in Medford, Oregon.

Investigating Agency(s)
Agency Name: Jackson County Sheriff's Office
Agency Contact Person: Detective Eric Fox
Agency Phone Number: 541-774-6816
Agency E-Mail: cid@jacksoncounty.org
Agency Case Number: 77-1993
NCIC Case Number: M-013223977
NamUs Case Number: 1740
NCMEC Case Number: 1133094

Information Source(s)
NamUs
NCMEC
CA DOJ
Mail Tribune
1250DMOR - Jay Calvin Pringle

Jay Calvin Pringle
JCPringle.jpg
JCPringle1.jpg
JCPringle2.jpg
JCPringle3.jpg

The images on the right have been age-progressed to 50 and 55 years.

Name: Jay Calvin Pringle
Case Classification: Endangered Missing
Missing Since: April 19, 1977
Location Last Seen: Medford, Jackson County, Oregon

Physical Description
Date of Birth: July 2, 1959
Race: White
Height: 5'10"
Weight: 150 lbs.
Hair Color: Brown
Eye Color: Brown
Nickname/Alias: Unknown
Distinguishing Marks/Features: Scars on knees from a automobile accident, Scar on left elbow, Scar on his left and a scar on left eye, Scar on calf, Wears glasses, Slender build

Identifiers
Dentals: Available
Fingerprints: Not Available
DNA: Available

Clothing: Army Jacket, Pants, Blue Bandana around head
Jewelry: Unknown
Additional Personal Items: Gold wire rimless glasses, He was last seen carrying a brown/green wool blanket and a suitcase

Circumstances of Disappearance
Circumstances of Disappearance Jay Pringle left Medford, Oregon with a friend on a trip to California. He was last seen on April 19, 1977 in Gardena, California, allegedly when Pringle and friend argued and split up. Pringle made friends with an unknown person and allegedly left with him. Prior to the missing date he resided in Medford, Oregon.

Investigating Agency(s)
Agency Name: Jackson County Sheriff's Office
Agency Contact Person: Detective Eric Fox
Agency Phone Number: 541-774-6816
Agency E-Mail: cid@jacksoncounty.org
Agency Case Number: 77-1993
NCIC Case Number: M-013223977
NamUs Case Number: 1740
NCMEC Case Number: 1133094

Information Source(s)
NamUs
NCMEC
CA DOJ
Mail Tribune
1250DMOR - Jay Calvin Pringle

Thank you Richard. The scars are interesting. If he was found as a skeleton they would have been "gone", depending how deep the injuries were.

Thank you Richard. The scars are interesting. If he was found as a skeleton they would have been "gone", depending how deep the injuries were.

This is true, of course. However, there are many different possible scenarios when considering these missing person cases. The physical descriptions and listing of clothing or personal effects could help in linking cases together. Facial aging, or even regression by artists sometimes helps as well.

Unsolved: Calvin Jay Pringle (1977) Article from 2017. Not much new info about the circumstances.

(Video closed in, with a very short interview with Sgt. Eric Fox)

MEDFORD, Ore. -- In 1977, Calvin Jay Pringle was reported missing by his mother, after the 17-year-old didn't come back from a trip to California with an older, adult friend: Robert Henry Kellogg.

Investigators note that Kellogg and Pringle became friends after meeting at a bus station in Medford, where Pringle worked bussing tables. Eventually, the two went on a trip that took them to California and Nevada.

13094047_G.jpg

But soon afterward, Kellogg came back to Medford alone – saying he last saw Pringle in Los Angeles at a motel. Kellogg added to that, saying he and Pringle had a falling out while they were in California…

Meanwhile, Pringle reportedly disappeared from the motel room.

Case notes also point out that before returning to Medford after their disagreement, Kellogg went to Las Vegas, where he spent Pringle’s money for personal use. However, investigators did mention he had the money to begin with because Pringle’s mother had given it to him – thinking he’d take better care of the funds while on the trip.

Pringle's mother, though, successfully sued Kellogg in small claims court and forced Kellogg to pay restitution.

Kelogg eventually moved to Spokane, Washington, but was still a person of interest in the case.

Though, after failing to show up for a polygraph test on two separate occasions, he wound up leaving the area.

Pringle's body still hasn't been found.

As for Kellogg, a recent investigation found that he died in September 2011.

Pringle’s mom, meanwhile, moved around the country and got remarried a couple of times after her son disappeared.

Eventually, investigators say she returned to Oregon, where she passed away in 2006.

Jay Calvin Pringle

Jay Calvin Pringle, age 17, Missing since 19 April 1977

LINKS:

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members