OR OR - Kelly James (dead), Brian Hall, 37, Jerry Cooke, 36, Mt. Hood Climbers, Dec 2006

Let's all hope for that window of opportunity today.

The news this morning said that the injured climber is at approximately 11,000 feet, right below the summit; that's much higher than I originally heard that he was. That isn't good.

Hoping that the 10,000 foot cell phone ping was from the other two climbers, and that they are still alive.

Morning everyone, Having just heard the local news today is the day, as there is another big storm coming in later this afternoon. They pretty much know where the injured climber is in the snow cave and they did say they are encouraged by the search today as it is really not that big an area that has to be searched.

Will pass on any updates I see today. I see the web cam photo here updates itself - :cool:

Morning Scandi and everyone. Today is definitely a critical day. Watching Fox News now and they sound hopeful. Where their reporter, Dan Springer, is -at 4000', conditions look good, with the sun even trying to peak through. But that is a far cry from where these men are located, at or near the 11,000+ foot peak of Mt Hood.

They were saying yesterday the conditions were horrible. Up at about 10,000 feet, it was 6° and winds at 60 mph making it feel like -20° or so. Brrrrr! Those poor guys. They have got to be struggling to survive in those conditions. I pray the two two guys (Nikko and Brian, I think are their names) found shelter somehow.

The helicopter is standing by and they are hoping to get it up in the air today. However, that is not an absolute.

Here is the latest from the AccuWeather link above:
Hurricane-Strength Storm Targets Northwest

There will be a brief break today in the weather across the Pacific Northwest before another powerful storm blasts into the region tonight. The incoming storm will be packing hurricane-strength winds that will spread rain along the coast and heavy snow in the mountains of Washington and Oregon. The wintry weather is hampering search efforts for three climbers on Mt. Hood, Oregon's tallest peak.

Once this storm moves in this evening, it is expected to last through the weekend. Oh, please let's have some good luck today for these guys!

scandi said:
Morning everyone, Having just heard the local news today is the day, as there is another big storm coming in later this afternoon. They pretty much know where the injured climber is in the snow cave and they did say they are encouraged by the search today as it is really not that big an area that has to be searched.

Will pass on any updates I see today. I see the web cam photo here updates itself - :cool:
Scandi, this is going to have to be one of those miracles. The injured climber at 11,000 feet, that phoned his son on Sunday, didn't sound as if he was in very good condition at that time, according to the reports I have read. The other two climbers, who left to seek help, may have a better chance at surviving this. However, they weren't equipped for this type of adversity. Hopefully it will be clear today, so that the searchers can at least take a good look around.

I see a peek of blue sky out my patio slider, whereas yesterday morning the wind was blowing the rain in circles! I'd love to drive up to the mtn today but don't dare, as my tires are wide and flat like race cars use and definately not for snow! :eek:

They only expect a couple of inches up there today and that is nothing. That big black helicopter that has been standing by is up in the air now acc to a radio report, and I hope they have special equip to help locate these guys. If they are alive Buzz, wouldn't their bgodies show up on an infarred sensor?

I did hear this morning that the one searcher who went up yesterday got up to the 8,400' elevation before he had to turn back. These guys are absolute pro's. I just wonder where in the world the other two could be. Do you think they made a snow cave?

Scandi

scandi said:
I see a peek of blue sky out my patio slider, whereas yesterday morning the wind was blowing the rain in circles! I'd love to drive up to the mtn today but don't dare, as my tires are wide and flat like race cars use and definately not for snow! :eek:

They only expect a couple of inches up there today and that is nothing. That big black helicopter that has been standing by is up in the air now acc to a radio report, and I hope they have special equip to help locate these guys. If they are alive Buzz, wouldn't their bgodies show up on an infarred sensor?

I did hear this morning that the one searcher who went up yesterday got up to the 8,400' elevation before he had to turn back. These guys are absolute pro's. I just wonder where in the world the other two could be. Do you think they made a snow cave?

Scandi
If the climbers are alive, and get out of their snow cave(s), then infra-red would pick them up Scandi, providing it is not snowing hard. I have been trying to find a webcam that shows clearing at Mt. Hood, but from the half-dozen that I have found, visibility seems to be very limited.

Scandi thanks for the update. I think you best not attempt going up there.

That is good news if the blackhawk is up in the air. They may be just trying to reposition it to a higher elevation, to have it nearer for rescue. Or maybe the blackhawk is dropping rescuers off, closer to the target area. (I read about in the report posted below.)

Also, glad to hear these rescue teams are so highly experienced.

Snippets from a report at 09:25 today, Rescue Teams Continue Search For Three Missing Climbers on Mt. Hood

CCSO personnel report five; four man teams are deployed at this time.

These teams are comprised of members of the elite Portland Mountain Rescue and Pacific Northwest Search & Rescue.

Members of Mountain Wave are also providing communications for this operation.

At the present, the weather on the mountain is reported as calm, with light snow conditions.

At approximately 9:15 AM today , one UH-60 Blackhawk helicopter will depart from the Army Aviation Support Facility in Salem, to aid in the search for the three missing hikers on Mt. Hood.

Current plans will have the Blackhawk and crew reposition to the Hood River, airport where they will meet with representatives of the Hood River Sheriff's Office for briefings on the current situation on the mountain.

The crew will consist of a pilot, co-pilot, crew chief and flight medic.

Weather permitting they will attempt to locate a landing zone at a higher elevation to reposition the airframe.

This would allow for faster response time to transport additional ground crews and equipment higher up the mountain or to launch an aerial search.

Weather will play a large part in the search efforts and determining use of the Blackhawk.

--> More at link

They have Ft Lewis Washington and McChord Air Force Base over in Tacoma I wish they would send a few black hawks over to help find these guys...:(

They are running out of time today--sunset is at 4:22PM PST. Underground Weather said there is a 10,000 foot ceiling, so it seems the summit of Mt. Hood is clouded over.

D*mn. This likely means another night on the mountain for the 3 men. I'm curious - how will the helicopters find them if they are in snow caves? Do they have an idea where the 2 climbers who went to get help are located?

Ca-Sun said:
D*mn. This likely means another night on the mountain for the 3 men. I'm curious - how will the helicopters find them if they are in snow caves? Do they have an idea where the 2 climbers who went to get help are located?
From one of the news articles:

The two who went for help took the Cooper Spur route, the same route the trio took up the mountain, search officials said. The nature of the climber's injuries was not immediately known this morning.

James made a phone call to his wife at one point, authorities said. Hood River County sheriff's Deputy Pete Hughes said the call was "fairly disorganized, from someone who was in a lot of stress and basically not giving good information."

So far this morning, at least one search team has left for the summit, officials said. That team departed from Timberline. Another team was to leave from Cooper Spur.

The climbers would need flags marking their snow caves.

I haven't heard anything more about the 2 hikers Ca-Sun.

What I have heard is that the newsman up at the 4000 {or maybe he is at the 6000} foot elevation level said up there it is nasty with high winds - that was about an hour ago. Also that storm coming in is suppose to hit at 3pm this afternoon - that's in 20 min from now.

I haven't really heard any new news - mostly regrinding of old news, but I know that's because they have nothing new to report and they have to say something! It is quite grey right now outside, and I see no blue peeking thru. The only good thing I heard is they think all 3 men are still slive. I'll watch the local news in about 5 min and report back.

scandi said:
I haven't heard anything more about the 2 hikers Ca-Sun.

What I have heard is that the newsman up at the 4000 {or maybe he is at the 6000} foot elevation level said up there it is nasty with high winds - that was about an hour ago. Also that storm coming in is suppose to hit at 3pm this afternoon - that's in 20 min from now.

I haven't really heard any new news - mostly regrinding of old news, but I know that's because they have nothing new to report and they have to say something! It is quite grey right now outside, and I see no blue peeking thru. The only good thing I heard is they think all 3 men are still slive. I'll watch the local news in about 5 min and report back.
Scandi, the ski lift goes up to 6600' so the reporter is probably up at that level. It will be another miracle if the climbers all live through this.

Yea Buzz, I was just going to correct my post. The reporter was just on and said it was 7000' where he had come down from earloier today and it was high winds and almost whiteout conditions. At loeast the 2 guys are probably still together. I feel so sorry for the one alone.

But a little part of me says these men were all experienced hikers and knew the risks. Mt Hood has a reputation for problems like this and they would have been aware of what to expect with the conditions and weather forcast as it was. I don't know why they would go up with storms coming in. Hard to understand.

One thing I do know fropm all the missing and dead that have come off the mtn over the years, is that if it is their time, it is the way they would want to go. I have heard many members of families say this in retrospect about a death.

I'll never forget when many members of my alma mater on a school outing died in a very similar situation on Mt Hood may7be 10 years ago, although they were not prepared like these guys were.

scandi said:
Yea Buzz, I was just going to correct my post. The reporter was just on and said it was 7000' where he had come down from earloier today and it was high winds and almost whiteout conditions. At loeast the 2 guys are probably still together. I feel so sorry for the one alone.

But a little part of me says these men were all experienced hikers and knew the risks. Mt Hood has a reputation for problems like this and they would have been aware of what to expect with the conditions and weather forcast as it was. I don't know why they would go up with storms coming in. Hard to understand.

One thing I do know fropm all the missing and dead that have come off the mtn over the years, is that if it is their time, it is the way they would want to go. I have heard many members of families say this in retrospect about a death.

I'll never forget when many members of my alma mater on a school outing died in a very similar situation on Mt Hood may7be 10 years ago, although they were not prepared like these guys were.
Mt. Hood seems to have claimed quite a few lives over the years, and it was said that climbing to the Summit at this time of the year is definitely out of the ordinary. Then these climbers decided to travel very light so they could get up to the top that much quicker, and get off the mountain. Then the weather hit and they got trapped near the summit with one of them sustaining an injury, severe enough that he had to hole up, while the others tried to go for help. They weren't prepared to spend this many nights on the mountain especially in this weather.

http://www.oregonlive.com/newslogs/...e_oregonian_news/archives/2006_12.html#214805

James' location pinpointed; break in weather needed
Searchers have pinpointed the whereabouts of Kelly James, the injured climber who sought refuge in a snow cave on Mount Hood last week, to within 500 meters of his actual location. James appears to be staying put, searchers said Tuesday. Now searchers need the weather to cooperate so they can start combing the ground for his snow cave, which is believed to be at 10,300 feet of elevation.

Employees from T-Mobile USA, James' cell phone service provider,
say that they've frequently been "pinging" his phone to determine where he is and that he likely hasn't been moving.

T-Mobile spokesman Peter Dobrow is guessing that James hasn't been able to get a strong enough signal to make a call again, although he still has battery life left. "He's on the extreme edge of coverage, and it's actually quite remarkable and encouraging that we're able to secure any information," Dobrow said of the pings.

http://www.oregonlive.com/newslogs/...e_oregonian_news/archives/2006_12.html#214835

Update: Searchers hope copter flyover yields climbers

Meanwhile, Wampler said searchers also had located a signal from a cell phone apparently carried by Hall and Cooke on Sunday. But he didn't provide more details about the ping. Also, searchers on the Southwest side of the mountain, in the ZigZag Canyon area, had found some snowshoe tracks and were following them Saturday afternoon. Searchers aren't sure if the tracks belong to Hall and Cooke, but they believe there's a chance.

Searchers say the three climbers are very experienced and were traveling light but were well-equipped with ropes, harnesses and ice axes. They did not, however, have a mountain locator unit. Searchers also are unsure of how much food or fuel the climbers brought with them.

Besides wind and visibility, another big challenge searchers from Clackamas County, Corvallis, Salem, Hood River County, Portland and elsewhere are facing is a lack of skilled mountaineers who are trained in search and rescue. About 40 people searched Monday and about the same number are searching today, Wampler said. "We're running out. We can't just have anybody out there," Wampler said. ".¤.¤.After a day's climb, they're done. They need a few days' rest."

tuppence said:
http://www.oregonlive.com/newslogs/...e_oregonian_news/archives/2006_12.html#214805

James' location pinpointed; break in weather needed
Searchers have pinpointed the whereabouts of Kelly James, the injured climber who sought refuge in a snow cave on Mount Hood last week, to within 500 meters of his actual location. James appears to be staying put, searchers said Tuesday. Now searchers need the weather to cooperate so they can start combing the ground for his snow cave, which is believed to be at 10,300 feet of elevation.

Employees from T-Mobile USA, James' cell phone service provider,
say that they've frequently been "pinging" his phone to determine where he is and that he likely hasn't been moving.

T-Mobile spokesman Peter Dobrow is guessing that James hasn't been able to get a strong enough signal to make a call again, although he still has battery life left. "He's on the extreme edge of coverage, and it's actually quite remarkable and encouraging that we're able to secure any information," Dobrow said of the pings.
Thanks for the info tuppence, let's hope that Kelly James is still alive and that searchers can get to him today, before more bad weather hits. Maybe there should be a search tool developed that would allow a searcher to hone in on a cell phone by "pinging" the phone and finding its exact location. "Within 500 meters of his location" doesn't narrow it down nearly enough when someone is buried in the snow.

Buzz and Scandi,
I remember being on Mt. Hood....staying at the Timberline Lodge.
Also on Mt Rainer in Washington. I had some postcards of the winter there.
Snow was up to the roof, and no doorways were exposed. From what I remember then , ( Mt Rainer) closed in the winter as things get too difficult with all that snow. Does Mt. Hood close for the winter? I know they had snow in July and Aug. .....and I realize that skiing is for winter. But, I just remember how I was reading at the time that........because of the dangers and the amounts......they would close. Do they do that now? or not?
So worried about these guys........
That beauty of a Mountain must be so tempting to climbers.

Mygirlsadie said:
They have Ft Lewis Washington and McChord Air Force Base over in Tacoma I wish they would send a few black hawks over to help find these guys...:(
I wonder if they were asked.........I hope so.
Sure they can only look out their windows to see the Mt. Rainer........Mt. Hood is not that far either.
This is such a matter of life or death.......but, that might even take training, that they don't have. That altitude and that kind of winds and weather........
It is such a different experience that I wonder if it would be part of their training. I don't know. The story is so heartbreaking.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back