Found Deceased OR - Kendra Hanks, 18, walking from work along Hwy 42 towards Winston, Douglas Co, 7 Jul 2022 *arrest*

I read that Kendra's body was found in so called Boomer Hill.
I wonder if this place is far from her usual way home?

RIP to this poor girl.
She was so young and loved by so many!!!
RBBM
Source for Boomer Hill?

Her body was found in the 9000 block of Cow Creek Road in the creek near Riddle, OR.

Upthread you will find answers to your question about her usual way home. In addition to murder, Phelps is charged with kidnapping her.

Phelps was taken to jail and was also charged with second-degree kidnapping and resisting arrest. He is being held without bail.

OOF.
Murderer or not, prisons and jails should be held 100% accountable for medically traumatizing and harming any patients/prisoners. Messing with someone's urinary system is no joke, it can be so incredibly, negatively, life-changing. It's more painful than you'd guess. Imagine the worst UTI pain x 100 and that's just the start of what ureter/urethral pain feels like, in my opinion.

Anyways -

From link: Court documents show Phelps is currently out of prison and staying with his brother.
I wonder if his brother had anything to do with him being caught for this crime. Perhaps he came home a mess or asked for help with Kendra, etc.

I wonder what the motive is here or if they knew eachother.

Interesting comments at link below regarding the political climate of that area, and how the area officials aren't tough enough on crime in the opinion of many.

Douglas County Sheriff's Office
RIDDLE, Ore. - A Riddle man has been arrested in connection with the disappearance and murder of 18-year-old Kendra Hanks of Winston.

On Thursday, July 21, 2022, at approximately 3:30 p.m., Detectives with the Douglas County Sheriff's Office along with investigators from the Douglas County Major Crimes Team contacted 39-year-old Troy Russell Phelps of Riddle at a residence in the 1500-block of Pruner Road in Riddle. Phelps had become a person of interest in the investigation into the disappearance of Hanks.

Phelps was taken into custody after speaking with Detectives. A search warrant was also executed at the residence where Phelps was residing.

On Wednesday, July 13, 2022, at approximately 3:30 p.m., the Sheriff's Office was notified of a deceased person found in Cow Creek in approximately the 9000-block of Cow Creek Road. Investigators responded to the scene and confirmed the death of an adult female, which is suspected to be Kendra Hanks.

The body was transported to the Oregon State Medical Examiner's Office on Thursday, July 14, 2022. The death was ultimately ruled a homicide. Sheriff's Office is awaiting positive identification from the Oregon State Medical Examiner's Office.

The Sheriff's Office has been and continues to be in communication with Hanks' mother, who is aware of the latest developments in the case.

Phelps was transported to and lodged in the Douglas County Jail on charges of Murder in the First Degree and Resisting Arrest.

Additional details surrounding the investigation will be withheld to protect the integrity of the investigation.
Anyone with information that would aid investigators is urged to contact the Sheriff's Office at (541) 440-4464 referencing case #22-2871.

The Douglas County Major Crimes Team consists of investigators from the Sheriff's Office, Roseburg Police Department and Oregon State Police working in consultation with the Douglas County District Attorney's Office.
It's not too bright to put yourself back in custody in the facility you are suing for medical maltreatment. So maybe his injuries are not as severe as alleged? Or he has drug or mental problems? Very odd he would make a choice to return to jail or prison, which is what a reasonable person could conclude as the consequence of committing a horrendous crime like this & remaining in the area.

I hope the Oregon justice system puts him away for the rest of his natural life. Because he is very dangerous.

JMO

RBBM
Source for Boomer Hill?

Her body was found in the 9000 block of Cow Creek Road in the creek near Riddle, OR.

Upthread you will find answers to your question about her usual way home. In addition to murder, Phelps is charged with kidnapping her.

Phelps was taken to jail and was also charged with second-degree kidnapping and resisting arrest. He is being held without bail.
Ooops!
My bad - I checked and it was "her phone pinged 3 miles south of Boomer Hill" (friends' comments).

Has it been stated what Kendra's relationship to this person is? It would seem, given his criminal history, that he's a predator of opportunity (and thus is a total stranger to her) but I don't feel like that's been clarified.

Perhaps he simply stopped and offered her a ride. Something like this: Pulls alongside the curb, through the open passenger window he leans over and says, "Gee, I see you walking along her often! Today, I decided it would be okay to stop and offer you a ride."

At first glance (at most of his bevy of mugshots), he looks like a friendly and congenial fellow. Even though most would not accept a ride from a stranger, something about him looks harmless to me. In my pre-Websleuths days, I might have accepted a ride from him.

It's not too bright to put yourself back in custody in the facility you are suing for medical maltreatment. So maybe his injuries are not as severe as alleged? Or he has drug or mental problems? Very odd he would make a choice to return to jail or prison, which is what a reasonable person could conclude as the consequence of committing a horrendous crime like this & remaining in the area.

I hope the Oregon justice system puts him away for the rest of his natural life. Because he is very dangerous.

JMO
Agreed! Not bright at all. I don't think he thought he'd get caught, and probably didn't think about which sheriff's office would be arresting him... he doesn't seem particularly bright given his rap sheet (my opinion). Doesn't strike me as a particularly "reasonable" person given the 2 murder charges he's acquired

Rest in peace to this beautiful young lady just starting out her adult life and has had it all taken from her horrendously. I'm sorry Kendra, you didn't deserve this, you deserved so much better...incomprehensibly sad.

May you rest in peace Kendra, the sparkle in your eyes will shine bright up there and shine brightly on those whom you loved and loved you...may justice be served for you and served to the harshest penalty.

So sad to have read this outcome...rest with the angels sweet one.

Douglas County Sheriff's Office

https://www.facebook.com/DouglasCoSO?__cft__[0]=AZUYi_H3OF-qDvGpXxH_AxgMLF_8Z_yWCz-O5-HYrPuv0Sz68nM6gsSuByGvPruforaZjKYXatKwba49Zpn-RrgRMw5R2TeBsu-Lcg9LcN0lQHMt-e5xUjXOV0q4UEwPmOoEuRSBV0hoHE2s-rthRs3pG9Ijr1q7-ZhkLuktnki65w&__tn__=,O,P-R#?dch

KENDRA HANKS HOMICIDE UPDATE: July 22, 2022, 4:45 p.m., the Oregon State Medical Examiner’s Office has confirmed the deceased female found in Cow Creek on July 13th is 18 year old Kendra Marie Hanks of Winston.
Nine day's to identify her- what did this guy do to Kendra's body, I'm not sure I want to know.

To venture a couple guesses I might speculate that the "childhood injuries" referenced in the description of Phelps's incarcerated medical circumstances were a result of violent sexual abuse. I also speculate that his brother he had been staying with who had been sponsoring his early release did tip off law enforcement and still feels much worse than the judge in the 2017 case who's unbelievably lenient sentencing is actually the most to blame for this very young woman's murder now.

Are we allowed to post things from the suspect's Facebook profile? I found his and it says he's married and has a child. Can't imagine the feelings they must be going through right now.

Oddly, the cover photo on his profile was updated yesterday--surely it wasn't him doing it... who's changing his cover photo while he's in jail?

The News-Review

https://www.facebook.com/thenewsrev...In3ZXM4pj-mYGwylWAmcN6rkrj81REw&__tn__=,O,P-R

Troy Russell Phelps has been ordered held without bail in connection to the kidnapping and murder of 18-year-old Winston woman Kendra Hanks.

Phelps, 39, appeared via closed-circuit video Friday in Douglas County Circuit Court for his arraignment on charges of both first- and second-degree murder, kidnapping and a charge of resisting arrest.

Phelps is accused of picking up Hanks on her regular walk home from work on July 7 and transporting her to Riddle, where her body was recovered one week later from Cow Creek, according to a document released Friday by Douglas County Circuit Court. Hanks' body was discovered July 13 and transported to the Oregon State Medical Examiner's Office in Clackamas July 14. Pathologist Dr. Nicole Stanley found that Hanks had suffered a pair of apparent stab wounds, with a wound to the neck believed to be the fatal blow, the court document states. ...

Through the use of video surveillance footage from a number of locations, detectives traced the victim’s path after leaving her job at Ingram Book Company and walking towards Winston starting at approximately 3:30 p.m. Hanks was last seen heading south near B&D Meats on Old Highway 99S. The document said it appears the victim got into the suspect’s vehicle, a Saturn Outlook, between there and the nearby green steel bridge, at around 4:15 p.m. Cameras had showed the SUV in that area earlier. A female was seen in the passenger side of that vehicle in a subsequent camera shot.

Just after 4:30 p.m. the vehicle was observed exiting Interstate 5 southbound at the Tri-City exit 103. A short time later the vehicle was captured via video on Riddle Bypass Road. Hank’s cellphone contacted the cellular telephone tower in that area at about the same time, corroborating that the victim was still inside that vehicle.

The document said that nearly an hour later the SUV was observed heading out of Riddle where Fifth Avenue becomes Pruner Road. This is less than a mile from Phelps’ residence. It is unclear when Hanks was no longer in the vehicle.

Through further investigation, detectives found evidence that the vehicle in question had been observed on multiple occasions, being driven by a man matching the description of Phelps.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jbks
Back