GUILTY OR - Latia Harris charged in beating caught on video, Salem, 2014

When I first saw the video my reaction was "nothing could justify this...nothing".

But yes, after reading more and thinking about it, threatening someone's livelihood out of pure pettiness can be dangerous especially if that individual has a family to support.

On a basic level it can be akin to threatening the individuals survival. If the assailant called the woman and basically asked her to retract the statements/stop the rumors and the woman persisted I could see how it could drive someone completely over the edge.

The majority of people would not agree with my post at all, and again, I am not condoning violence of any sort. I am also speculating that the reason people stood by and witnessed the act without stepping in, is that they were aware of the cause, and agreed it was a suitable remedy for the offense...in their street justice system. Again, pure speculation.

And finally, I've noticed some people are commenting on the attacker's purported religion. There is actually an important point to this. In the attacker's (supposed) religion, adultery is punishable by the most severe lashing and in some cases being stoned to death. Adultery is no small matter to certain faiths. What was being said about her would have cost her a great deal in her culture. Hopefully this puts some perspective around this. Not saying what she did was right, but there is religious context to this.

I am also speculating that the reason people stood by and witnessed the act without stepping in, is that they were aware of the cause, and agreed it was a suitable remedy for the offense...in their street justice system. Again, pure speculation.

The people that stood by were enjoying the spectacle but slightly uncomfortable about the level brutality in front of the small child.

If they saw it as "suitable" street justice they wouldn't have posted the video online and had the perp busted.

They got off on it. They didn't call 911, they didn't tell the perp to stop, they enjoyed the brutal show which is why no one said a word to discourage the attack yet a video was proudly posted online.

But let's ask ourselves too -- what do we DO when someone is verbally bullying us by spreading false rumors (at not just one job, but two) and we have called repeatedly to ask "Why?" and for an end to all of it.... to no avail?

Don't get me wrong--you can't go around beating the sense out of people to solve your problems.... and even if I were tempted, the presence of the child would stop me in my tracks (not the time or place).

This perpetrator has children -- reasonable to assume she NEEDS her job(s) -- and someone could be messing with that with her rumors? Mess with me, that's one thing -- I can ignore a lot. Mess with my kids or my ability to provide for them and that could be another story.

Again, she did NOT "deserve" this, but on the other hand, I feel for a woman who might have felt she was at the end of her rope.

1. there’s no evidence the victim (F) was bulling the attacker. If anything, it was Ms. Harris who was harassing “F” for several weeks via phone calls.
2. there’s no proof what F said was a false rumor. If what she said was true, then it’s not a rumor. Moreover, her statement was made to her friends at McD, not when she worked at the other job.
3. It’s ridiculous to contend that Harris’s job was in jeopardy because of what F said about her. If it was a false rumor, all Harris had to do is deny it. And even if it was true, so what!!

Millions of people get romantically involved with a co-worker. Millions of people gossip. That does not give anyone a license or justification to viciously attack another. This was NOT a fight, it’s was a savage attack against someone who could not defend herself. The victim is only 4.9" and around 100lbs. The perp is huge, virtually the size of a large man. The victim did not fight back, she was thrown to the ground and repeatedly attacked. There’s only 2 victims here, F and her son. How in the world anyone can feel sorry for Harris is beyond my comprehension. Convoluted logic and misplaced compassion is not a redeeming quality.

How in the world anyone can feel sorry for Harris is beyond my comprehension. Convoluted logic and misplaced compassion is not a redeeming quality.

First of all, I am not sure anyone here was showing "compassion" for the perp.

Secondly the victim made public statements that said well...don't blame the bystanders, yes the perp called me several times over rumors....so sorry this happened to her because she has to support to small kids etc....

I don't have much compassion from the perp, but the statements from the victim also leave me with very little compassion for her.

An innocent victim would NOT be making excuses for all of those involved.

The majority of people would not agree with my post at all, and again, I am not condoning violence of any sort. I am also speculating that the reason people stood by and witnessed the act without stepping in, is that they were aware of the cause, and agreed it was a suitable remedy for the offense...in their street justice system. Again, pure speculation.

And finally, I've noticed some people are commenting on the attacker's purported religion. There is actually an important point to this. In the attacker's (supposed) religion, adultery is punishable by the most severe lashing and in some cases being stoned to death. Adultery is no small matter to certain faiths. What was being said about her would have cost her a great deal in her culture. Hopefully this puts some perspective around this. Not saying what she did was right, but there is religious context to this.

I'm familiar with this area. It's a good area to stay out of and never find yourself lost in. This is a way of life. Everyday, the only "culture" is senseless violence.
It had nothing to do with religion

All IMO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Secondly the victim made public statements that said well...don't blame the bystanders, yes the perp called me several times over rumors....so sorry this happened to her because she has to support to small kids etc....

I don't have much compassion from the perp, but the statements from the victim also leave me with very little compassion for her.

An innocent victim could have compassion for the perps children losing their mother over something so ridiculous that never should have happened in the first place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Read the entire thread and the post I was responding to.

Secondly the victim made public statements that said well...don't blame the bystanders, yes the perp called me several times over rumors....so sorry this happened to her because she has to support to small kids etc.... I don't have much compassion from the perp, but the statements from the victim also leave me with very little compassion for her.

She was merely stating what transpired and how she feels. No way did her statements negate the compassion I feel towards any innocent victim nor does it negate the vicious behavior and actions of the perp.

That's simply not true. It's not uncommon for innocent victims, to some extent, to blame themselves. i.e A woman who is abused may make up excuses for her abuser (oh he was drunk, oh he had a bad day or it was partially my fault for saying something that got him angry). Likewise, a woman who is raped may recriminate herself for wearing a dress that was to tight or being in the wrong place.

1. there’s no evidence the victim (F) was bulling the attacker. If anything, it was Ms. Harris who was harassing “F” for several weeks via phone calls.
2. there’s no proof what F said was a false rumor. If what she said was true, then it’s not a rumor. Moreover, her statement was made to her friends at McD, not when she worked at the other job.
3. It’s ridiculous to contend that Harris’s job was in jeopardy because of what F said about her. If it was a false rumor, all Harris had to do is deny it. And even if it was true, so what!!

Millions of people get romantically involved with a co-worker. Millions of people gossip. That does not give anyone a license or justification to viciously attack another. This was NOT a fight, it’s was a savage attack against someone who could not defend herself. The victim is only 4.9" and around 100lbs. The perp is huge, virtually the size of a large man. The victim did not fight back, she was thrown to the ground and repeatedly attacked. There’s only 2 victims here, F and her son. How in the world anyone can feel sorry for Harris is beyond my comprehension. Convoluted logic and misplaced compassion is not a redeeming quality.

As I said numerous times throughout, there is NO excuse for what she did; the victim did NOT deserve it. Nor was I one of the posters on this thread who more or less inferred that she did deserve it or that she had it coming. I do not agree.

I'm not contending anything beyond the speculation that has already taken place on this thread. But that's what we do here -- we take what we know, and until we know more, we speculate. We often try to figure out "Why" -- Why, on earth, would this woman think it was ok to do this, to this degree, and in front of a young child?

It was speculation as to the perp's state of mind -- the only feeling or compassion I have toward her is that of thinking you are trapped with little recourse or alternative option. Who are we to say whether or not she felt her job could be threatened? If you live in a "right to work" state as I do, you have every reason to worry that any little thing could get you fired -- if you look at someone cross-eyed -- because it does happen. I was stating that I, myself, have felt extremely angry in situations in which I've felt that my kids or livelihood were threatened.

The victim herself stated the reason why Harris had been calling her and gave an instance in which Harris could have overheard her saying those things. The victim herself appears to acknowledge that she underestimated just how upset Harris was and seems to feel compassion for her.

<modsnip>

JMO.

<modsnip>

hopingicanhelp said: I'm not contending anything beyond the speculation that has already taken place on this thread. But that's what we do here -- we take what we know, and until we know more, we speculate. We often try to figure out "Why" -- Why, on earth, would this woman think it was ok to do this, to this degree, and in front of a young child?

Speculating is okay. Presenting speculation as facts, is NOT okay. Referring this incident, you said “what do we DO when someone is verbally bullying us by spreading false rumors (at not just one job, but two)”.... There’s absolutely nothing to support your statement, as fact, that the victim was bullying Harris. There’s absolutely nothing to support your statement, as fact, that the victim was spreading false rumors. We don’t know if what she said was a false rumor or was actually true. And there’s absolutely nothing to support your statement, as fact, that the victim was spreading false rumors at both workplaces.

hopingicanhelp said: It was speculation as to the perp's state of mind -- the only feeling or compassion I have toward her is that of thinking you are trapped with little recourse or alternative option. Who are we to say whether or not she felt her job could be threatened? If you live in a "right to work" state as I do, you have every reason to worry that any little thing could get you fired -- if you look at someone cross-eyed -- because it does happen. I was stating that I, myself, have felt extremely angry in situations in which I've felt that my kids or livelihood were threatened.

New Jersey is an “Employment At Will” state. That said, it’s not as easy as one might think to fire an employee. And I seriously doubt that anyone would even think they would be fired because of who they’re romantically involved with on their own time. If Harris was really worried about losing her job, she wouldn’t have walked out of McD when she was supposed to be working - her shift had not ended. Nor would she have committed the vicious assault (a criminal act). Both of these things are valid grounds for dismissal.

In your prior post you said “Again, she did NOT "deserve" this, but on the other hand, I feel for a woman who might have felt she was at the end of her rope.” IMO) your statement is a perfect example of misplaced compassion. Someone could apply the same absurd analogy to Jodi Arias. i.e Travis did not deserved what happened to him but on the other hand, I feel for a woman (Jodi) who might have felt she was at the end of her rope.

I have no, zero, nada compassion or tolerance for anyone who engages in violence against an innocent person or an animal. There’s more I like to say but out of respect for this forum and it’s rules, this conversation with you is over.

As for the people who just stood around and watched that baby trying to protect his mom.....

The victim did in fact make the statements that she did in fact say things about the attacker at two different workplaces.

In the second workplace she was actually joking about the attacker's involvement with the manager to other coworkers and the attacker overheard that while she was working.

In this case the victim did admit to saying things about the attacker

http://www.nj.com/salem/index.ssf/20...cart_most-read

am believing what the victim said to be true

The victim did in fact make the statements that she did in fact say things about the attacker at two different workplaces.

Newone, please provide a direct link where the victim admitted she said things about Harris at "two" different workplaces.

You said in the second workplace she was actually joking about the attacker's involvement with the manager to other coworkers and the attacker overheard that while she was working.

According to what I read, that's true. She did say something to the co-workers about Harris at MickeyD. However, the point was we don't know if what she said was totally fabricated, based on some rumor or if it was true that Harris was involved with the manager.

BTW) I just read the arrest complaint and IMO the charges are not broad enough. There was no mention of the threat she made against the little boy and I think the $35,000 bail is too low.

Correction - I just read more of the warrant and the threat against the child is being charged.

And I seriously doubt that anyone would even think they would be fired because of who they&#8217;re romantically involved with on their own time.

A LOT of companies have rules regarding fraternization, especially between a boss and their direct subordinate.

If a boss is sleeping with their direct report the possibilities of scandal, loss of moral among other staff members, resentment, sexual harassment claims etc.... are a REAL THREAT especially if the relationship sours.

And yes in small businesses (most McDonald's are franchised) that sort of scandal CAN get someone fired, if the manager get's worried that HE may get fired he may decide to "get rid of the problem" etc... Or if problems arise because of the relationship the owner may decide "someone has to get another job".

If you have an issue with a post please alert on it and do not attack another poster. Also remember to ADDRESS the post and not the poster if you wish to respond. :please:

A LOT of companies have rules regarding fraternization, especially between a boss and their direct subordinate.

If a boss is sleeping with their direct report the possibilities of scandal, loss of moral among other staff members, resentment, sexual harassment claims etc.... are a REAL THREAT especially if the relationship sours.

And yes in small businesses (most McDonald's are franchised) that sort of scandal CAN get someone fired, if the manager get's worried that HE may get fired he may decide to "get rid of the problem" etc... Or if problems arise because of the relationship the owner may decide "someone has to get another job".

I have seen people fired for the most trivial things -- one top performer was fired and simply because the manager "didn't like" the guy. Another guy was a new manager to the company and had over 25 years work experience (had NEVER been without a job for a day in his life since he was 14 years old) and two young gals who wanted to spend time on their cellphones decided he was "mean" because he expected them to do their jobs... so what did they do? They falsely turned him in for sexual harassment -- NEVER HAPPENED. So he was fired "for cause" and his life was completely turned upside down -- has a wife, kids, a home with NO severance or unemployment.

It can happen.

I think it's important to reiterate that violence is never the answer but the perceived threat to her livelihood when Harris has two children could have made her feel as though she had limited options -- and now she's just made everything worse for herself.

I just accidentally stumbled on the video while searching for something about Bob.

Hearing the attacker threaten to '**** kick your son in the face too' was enough for me.

Lock her up. Lock her up until she learns that adult women threatening two year olds is not acceptable in any civilized society.
Dreadful.

http://fox4kc.com/2014/06/28/toddler-comes-to-moms-rescue-while-crowd-gawks-as-shes-assaulted/

RBBM. THIS. Absolutely. Hitting "thanks" wasn't enough.

Two grown adults settling their difficulties (there were difficulties, obviously; I'm not interested in discussing them in any detail myself, however) is one thing.

But threatening a small child is :pullhair: maddening.

I feel this attack was not in any way mitigated or justified even if the victim gossiped about the attacker.

But I do want to point out this thread is a mere 4 pages long. The link about the victim admitting she had talked about the attacker in an unflattering way (albeit jokingly) is but two pages back. So that info has been linked with an appropriate MSM link.

Again, I do NOT agree with the viewpoint that the assault in any way was justified or mitigated by the fact that the victim admits to having gossiped about her former coworker and an alleged affair with a boss.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brew23p
Back